CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES AND CREAM
Who knew juniper berries are outstanding with cabbage? The cream mixes with the juices, turning into a thin sauce. Serve with noodles, rice, kasha, etc. Enjoy! Did you know juniper berries have been found buried in ancient Egyptian tombs? Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. There is an extra recipe included here for using this recipe and stuffing cabbage leaves with a cube of Blue cheese.
Provided by Sharon123
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Quarter the cabbage, remove the core, and cut into wide ribbons or squares. Boil, uncovered, in generously salted water for 4 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water, and squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. add the leek, juniper, and 1 tbls. water. Cook over medium heat until the leek is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cream.
- Taste a piece of the cabbage and add more sea salt if needed. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat 10 minutes. Taste again for salt and season with pepper.
- To make the cabbage stuffed cabbage with blue cheese:.
- Blanch and separate 8 cabbage leaves. Before stuffing, remove tough white vein at the base of each leaf.
- Place 1/2 cup of the cooked cabbage(from Cabbage with Juniper Berries) in the center of each leaf and set a cube of blue cheese(or Gorgonzola or Roquefort) inside that.
- Roll up the leaf, folding in the sides as you gor. Twist the roll in a towel to give it a plump, round shape.
- Steam until heated through, about 10 minutes, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 164.3, Fat 10.8, SaturatedFat 6.6, Cholesterol 33.5, Sodium 82.8, Carbohydrate 16.4, Fiber 5.6, Sugar 9, Protein 4.1
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER
- Crush the juniper berries thoroughly using a pestle and mortar (or bash with a rolling pin, in a sealed plastic bag). Tip into a pan with the gin and milk and put over a high heat. Bring to the boil and bubble for 3 minutes, stirring now and again. Remove from heat, season with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Discard the tatty outer leaves of the cabbage, then cut it into eighths. Cut out and discard the hard core from each wedge then slice crossways into ruler-wide strips. Halve the leek lengthways, then cut into 1cm/½in wide chunks. Tip the vegetables into a colander and rinse with water.
- Put the butter into a very large pan or wok and add the vegetables, plus residual water. Sprinkle on the bouillon powder and season well. Cover the pan and sit over a medium heat.
- Leave the lid on for the first 6 minutes but remove every 2 minutes to toss the cabbage. Remove the lid and cook and toss the cabbage for 4-6 minutes more. Tip into a colander and drain well. Return to the pan and keep warm.
- Replace the small pan over a low heat, whisk in the fromage frais and season with black pepper. Gently warm the sauce (it will split if you boil it), then pour over the cabbage and toss.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 130 calories, Fat 8 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 7 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.27 milligram of sodium
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES
From recipes 4 us.co.uk. Christmas vegetarian dish; don't do junipers if pregnant or breast feeding; good diuretic; Zaar tour 6.
Provided by Dienia B.
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Saute onion, garlic, and berries in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add oil.
- Core the cabbage; put in cabbage.
- Cook 10 minutes, covered, on slow simmer.
- Cook 10 minutes, uncovered; cook until soft; turn to prevent burning.
JUNIPER & APPLE RED CABBAGE
Try this twist on braised cabbage for Christmas Day, with juniper berries, orange zest, red onion and red apple for festive colour and flavour
Provided by Miriam Nice
Categories Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Thinly slice the red cabbage, then put in a large saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, stirring regularly, then cover and cook over a low heat for 1 hr or until tender and the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Can be made ahead, covered and chilled for two days or frozen for up to one month. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 120 calories, Fat 3 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 17 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 16 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 2 grams protein, Sodium 0.1 milligram of sodium
More about "cabbage with juniper recipes"
RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER & PEARS - BBC GOOD FOOD MIDDLE EAST
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE AND JUNIPER | OREGONIAN RECIPES
GERMAN BRAISED RED CABBAGE (ROTKOHL) RECIPE - THE WANDERLUST …
CABBAGE WITH GIN AND JUNIPER RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
SAVOY CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER RECIPE - THE TELEGRAPH
RECIPES > VEGETABLES > HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE WITH GIN AND JUNIPER
CABBAGE WITH BACON AND JUNIPER RECIPE / RIVERFORD
BEST BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES AND JUNIPER RECIPE - HOW …
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
CABBAGE WITH GIN AND JUNIPER RECIPE
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER - BIGOVEN.COM
CABBAGE WITH MASCARPONE CHEESE AND JUNIPER BERRIES RECIPE
RECIPE: SAUERKRAUT WITH JUNIPER BERRIES STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES ...
10 JUNIPER BERRY RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE TRYING - INSANELY GOOD
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH CRANBERRY AND JUNIPER - PALATABLE PASTIME
SPICED RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER | FREE RECIPES
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES AND CREAM - PLAIN.RECIPES
QUICK CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER, GIN, AND PEPPERCORNS - SAUCY DRESSINGS
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES AND CREAM RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
SIMPLY COOKED: CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER AND CREAM - BLOGGER
STIR-FRIED RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER AND PEARS RECIPE | DELICIOUS.
16 RECIPES THAT MAKE THE MOST OF JUNIPER BERRIES - BRIT + CO
APPLE RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES – FOODIF RECIPES
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
10 BEST DRIED JUNIPER BERRIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER BERRIES RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER - GREEN CUISINE
RED CABBAGE & JUNIPER SAUERKRAUT - DR JENNA MACCIOCHI, PHD
CABBAGE WITH GIN AND JUNIPER - AMERICANRECIPES.EU
CABBAGE WITH GARLIC AND JUNIPER RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BRAISED RED CABBAGE – NANCY BIRTWHISTLE
CABBAGE WITH GIN AND JUNIPER - BIGOVEN.COM
COOKING WITH JUNIPER RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER AND HAZELNUTS - KUECHENLATEIN.COM
DUCK AND RED CABBAGE WITH JUNIPER-SPICED RHUBARB RECIPE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook cabbage in a crock pot?Once the butter has melted, add the cabbage, apple, onion, vinegar, sugar, water, juniper berries, and cloves to the pot. Allow the mixture to come to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and simmer, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the cabbage is tender and turning translucent (about 1 hour).
What to do with red cabbage for Christmas?Try this twist on braised cabbage for Christmas Day, with juniper berries, orange zest, red onion and red apple for festive colour and flavour Thinly slice the red cabbage, then put in a large saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients.
How long do you boil cabbage to make it tender?Allow the mixture to come to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot, and simmer, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the cabbage is tender and turning translucent (about 1 hour). Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience.
What does German braised red cabbage taste like?Juniper berries, green apple, and tangy vinegar give this German braised red cabbage it's distinctive sweet and sour flavor.