INDIAN WHOLE WHEAT GRIDDLE BREADS: CHAPATIS
Provided by Aarti Sequeira
Yield 12 chapatis
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Pour the flour and salt into a large bowl. Slowly pour water into the flour, moving your other hand through the flour in circular motions, until it starts to come together. Then, either in the bowl or on your counter (which you might want to lightly flour to prevent sticking), knead the dough for about 10 minutes. The dough should be soft and pliant.
- Return the ball of dough to the bowl and rub the surface of the dough with a little oil to keep it from drying out. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and allow to rest about 30 minutes.
- When you're ready to make chapatis, assemble your tools: a small, flat bowl of whole wheat flour, a small bowl of olive oil or melted butter with a small spoon in it, and a paper towel-lined plate or container for the finished breads.
- Heat a flat griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, on a lightly-floured surface, work the ball of dough into a long log. Cut into 12 equal pieces by cutting it in half, and then half again. Cut each of the quarters into 3 equal pieces. Return to the bowl and cover with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- To roll the chapatis: Roll a piece of dough between your palms to form a ball, and then flatten with your palm. Dunk this puck in the bowl of flour, and then roll until it's a 4-inch circle. Spoon about 1/4 teaspoon of oil in the center of the circle, and spread it out almost to the perimeter of the circle using the back of the spoon. Fold the circle in half, then in half again, so it forms a triangle. Seal the edges, and dunk in flour again if it's sticky.
- Start rolling, turning the triangle a quarter turn after each roll, until it's about 6-inches wide, with an even thickness. After some practice you'll be able to roll the chapati and rotate it without picking it up; I do this by weighing down a little on my right hand and pushing the chapati around that way.
- Test the griddle by sprinkling a little flour on it; if it turns brown immediately, it's ready. Flapping the chapati between your hands to remove any excess flour, slap the chapati onto the griddle. It should start darkening almost immediately.
- When small bubbles start to form, spread a little oil over the surface of the chapati, then flip. It should start to puff up. Spoon a little oil over this side too, and when it's puffed up a little more, flip. Press down on the edges of the chapati with your spatula or (if you're brave!) with a dry rag. This will seal the edges and encourage the entire chapati to puff up. If you spot any holes, press down on those too so the air doesn't escape. Allowing the air to stay inside the whole chapati makes it flaky and light. But don't fret if your first few don't puff up; it takes practice! It will still taste delicious.
- Remove to your container. Repeat with the remaining dough, and serve the chapatis hot.
INDIAN CHAPATI BREAD
- In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the olive oil and enough water to make a soft dough that is elastic but not sticky. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth. Divide into 10 parts, or less if you want bigger breads. Roll each piece into a ball. Let rest for a few minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot, and grease lightly. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the balls of dough until very thin like a tortilla. When the pan starts smoking, put a chapati on it. Cook until the underside has brown spots, about 30 seconds, then flip and cook on the other side. Continue with remaining dough.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 110 calories, Carbohydrate 18.2 g, Fat 3 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 2.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 234 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
CHAPATIS (INDIAN OR KENYAN WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD)
This is a recipe by Guy Fieri that I saw on Guy's Big Bite. Easy and tasty - a really good recipe. The cooking time is for only one batch of griddling because it depends on how big your griddle is. Each flatbread counts as 1 WW point. Enjoy!
Provided by Nif_H
Yield 8 flatbreads, 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 3
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir in water, until dough forms. Lightly flour a clean board and knead dough until smooth, about 10 minutes. Rest dough in bowl, covered with damp towel for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls. Using a floured rolling pin, roll balls out on floured board to 7 inches in diameter, about 1/4-inch thick. Place the rolled out dough onto griddle. Flip when raised bumps appear on the surface of the dough, about 1 to 2 minutes. Cook second side until it turns golden. Do not cook too long or flatbread will become brittle. Cover flatbread with a towel up to 20 minutes before serving.
More about "chapatis indian or kenyan wholewheat flatbread recipes"
CHAPATI (EASY INDIAN FLAT BREAD RECIPE) - RASA MALAYSIA
Reviews 125Calories 68 per servingCategory Indian Recipes
- Sieve the flour, add salt to it and mix well. Place the flour in a large bowl and add 3/4 cup of the water. Stir gently with fingers in a circular motion until the flour starts to gather. Add 1-2 tablespoons more flour if the dough looks too sticky. Add more water if it looks too dry and firm.
- Knead the flour until it becomes soft and pliable and doesn't stick to your fingers. You can put a little oil on your hand while kneading the dough to help with kneading. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour, at room temperature. You may store the dough in refrigerator. Just thaw to room temperature before using it.
- Once ready to make chapatis, heat the griddle over medium-high heat. Divide the dough into 10-12 equal-sized dough balls. Working on one dough ball at a time. Roll a dough ball in the flour and flatten it a bit with your hands. Transfer the flatten ball to a clean flat surface, roll it with a rolling pin into a 6-7 inch disc. If the dough sticks to the surface, dust the surface with more flour.
- Place the chapati on the hot griddle and cook for 30 seconds or until tiny golden dots appear on the surface, flip over and cook the other side. Flip over again and soon the chapati will start to puff up. Use a folded kitchen towel and press gently on the puffy chapati to push the air to the flatten part of of the chapati. The whole bread should puff up into a round ball.
CHAPATI TRANSFORMS FROM INDIAN FLATBREAD TO KENYAN TREAT …
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
CHAPATI, AKA ROTI (INDIAN FLATBREAD) - ALL ROADS LEAD TO …
WHOLE WHEAT INDIAN FLAT BREAD / CHAPATI - SASHI RECIPES
CHAPATI RECIPE, CHAPATTI, CHAPATHI, WHOLE WHEAT INDIAN …
WHOLE WHEAT CHAPATI RECIPE - TABLESPOON.COM
CHAPATI (INDIAN FLATBREAD) - DANIEL FAST FOODIE
CHAPATI RECIPE (INDIAN, PAKISTANI WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD)
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
INDIAN WHOLE WHEAT GRIDDLE BREADS: CHAPATIS RECIPE
CHAPATI RECIPE (INDIAN, PAKISTANI WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD)
EASY CHAPATI/INDIAN FLATBREAD (VEGAN | OIL-FREE - EATWKRISS
FLOUR FOR CHAPATI / INDIAN FLATBREAD : CELIAC
CHAPATI RECIPE – ALL THINGS KENYAN
INDIAN WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD CHAPATI - OM ASHRAM
WHOLE WHEAT INDIAN BREAD(ROTI OR CHAPATI) - COOK2NOURISH
CHAPATIS AKA ROTIS (INDIAN FLATBREAD) #BREADBAKINGBABES
CHAPATIS INDIAN OR KENYAN WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD RECIPE
INDIAN CHAPATI ROTI RECIPE | KIMMI SANDHU
HOW TO MAKE CHAPATI/CHAPATHI: INDIAN WHOLE WHEAT FLAT BREAD
EASY CHAPATI RECIPE (INDIAN FLATBREAD) - THE CONSCIENTIOUS EATER
HOW TO MAKE SOFT ROTI/CHAPATI? | PHULKA | INDIAN FLATBREAD
HOMEMADE CHAPATIS (WHOLE-WHEAT INDIAN FLATBREADS)
CHAPATI (TRADITIONAL EAST AFRICAN FLATBREAD) - VEGKITCHEN
CHAPATI RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CHAPATI (A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE)
RECIPE: CHAPATI (UNLEAVENED WHEAT FLATBREAD) - TASTINGTABLE.COM
ROTI/CHAPATI (INDIAN FLAT BREAD) - JO COOKS
CHAPATI (INDIAN FLATBREAD) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CHAPATIS (INDIAN OR KENYAN WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD) RECIPE
CHAPATIS (WHOLE WHEAT INDIAN FLATBREAD) | SAVEUR
CHAPATI: THE INDIAN FLATBREAD - RECETTE MAGAZINE
CHAPATI (INDIAN FLATBREAD) | FOODTALK
SOFT CHAPATI/ ROTI RECIPE (PUFFED INDIAN BREAD) - THE CEREAL COUTURE
INDIAN FLATBREAD RECIPES - CHAPATI, ROTI, PARATHA - VEENA …
CHAPATI RECIPE | CHEFDEHOME.COM
CHAPATI FLATBREAD - MILDLY MEANDERING
INDIAN FLATBREAD CHAPATI • RECIPE | YUMECIPE.COM
INDIAN WHOLEWHEAT FLATBREAD - THE BIG SWEET TOOTH
ROTI RECIPE- HOW TO MAKE ROTI (CHAPATI) - SPICE CRAVINGS
CHAPATIS (INDIAN FLAT BREAD) : RECIPE
KENYAN KEEMA CHAPATI (EAST AFRICAN CHAPATI WITH LAMB
WHOLE WHEAT FLATBREAD (CHAPATI) RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
You'll also love