CRISPY CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH GARLIC-ONION GRAVY
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- For the cutlets: Begin by pounding out the chicken cutlets. Working with 2 cutlets at a time, place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, gently pound out each piece of chicken to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Work gently from the center outwards so as to keep it even and not tear the chicken. Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
- Set up a breading station. Place the flour in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well. In a second shallow bowl, add the buttermilk, season with salt and pepper and mix well. In a third shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Take each cutlet and dredge lightly in the flour. Shake off any excess, and then dip in the buttermilk. Finally, dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Cover evenly on both sides, gently patting the crumbs into the chicken to help it stick. Place the breaded cutlets in a single layer on a platter and place uncovered in the fridge for 15 minutes - this will help the coating stick to the cutlet and prevent tearing when it comes time to cook them.
- To cook the cutlets, set 2 large nonstick saute pans, cast-iron pans if available, over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to each and cook 2 cutlets in each pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side. When done, they will be golden brown and crispy. Transfer to an ovenproof pan and keep warm in the oven. Try not to keep the chicken in the oven longer than 15 minutes, otherwise it will dry out.
- Now make the gravy: Set a medium saute pan with high sides over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic, onions and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are lightly caramelized and tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Deglaze with the white wine and reduce for 1 minute before adding the chicken broth. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, and then add the cold butter cubes to the sauce. Remove from the heat and swirl the pan to melt the butter evenly - this will thicken the sauce and give it a nice sheen. Serve the chicken schnitzel with the garlic-onion gravy.
- Wine paring: Riesling or sparkling wine.
SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
I used pork for this recipe but you could also use chicken or turkey. It was a quick and easy recipe I found in the Canadian Living Magazine. The important thing is the kids loved it, and inexpensive to make. I used fresh mushrooms as I prefer them over canned. I served it with a side dish of the colored bow tie pasta and peas. I also bought prepared pork schnitzel from the butcher which saves a few steps.
Provided by heather in Ont
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish, and press cutlet into flour mixture and turn to coat.
- Reserve remaining flour mixture.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium high heat; fry cutlet in batches and turning once, until a hint of pink remeains inside for pork cutlet, about 6 minutes (ensure there is no pink inside for turkey and chicken).
- Transfer to plate and keep warm.
- in same skillet, fry mushrooms and garlic until no liquid remains about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved flour mixture cook, stirring for approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in stock; bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add sour cream and soy sauce and stir for about 1 minute.
- Pour over schnitzel and sprinkle with parsley.
PORK SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Tenderize pork chops with a meat mallet. Lightly beat 2 eggs. Add paprika to flour and place in a shallow dish. Zest lemons into bread crumbs. Set lemons aside for later. Add salt and pepper to bread crumbs.
- Preheat skillet (preferably either heavy bottomed stainless steel or iron skillet). Bread chops by first coating with flour, then dipping in the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Add 3 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter to skillet. Add 3 breaded chops and cook on each side over medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. (Depending on thickness). Remove chops to a heated platter and cover to keep warm. Repeat process for last 3 chops.
- Add last Tbsp. butter and the bouillon cube to skillet and saute sliced mushrooms until tender. Remove mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Deglaze skillet with white wine and allow to reduce by half. Add 2 cups hot water and whisk in gravy mix. Return mushrooms to skillet and cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 0 g, Fat 0 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 0 g, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 0 g
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
- Remove the chicken breasts from the bone. Slice each breast in half lengthwise. Put them between pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with a mallet or a small skillet until they are 1/4-inch thick.
- Set up a breading station with three pie plates or shallow dishes. Put the flour in one and season it with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, the eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons of water in another, and the breadcrumbs in the third. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, then the egg wash, then the breadcrumbs. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken in 1 layer and cook until it is golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on brown paper and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- In another skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When it is melted, add mushrooms and season them with salt and pepper. Cook until they are browned, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds then add the stock and simmer for 4 minutes and reduce by one third. Add the Worcestershire sauce, turn the heat off, and let cool for a minute before stirring in the sour cream. Serve the Schnitzel with the sauce poured over the top, garnished with parsley.
PORK WITH APPLES AND MUSHROOMS
- Season the pork with the thyme and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until browned on both sides. Remove the pork from the skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms and onion in the skillet for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the apple and cook for 5 minutes or until the apple is tender-crisp. Stir in the soup, vinegar and broth and heat to a boil. Return the pork to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Serve the pork and sauce with the rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 376.1 calories, Carbohydrate 40.1 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Fat 11.1 g, Fiber 5.2 g, Protein 27.4 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 462.6 mg, Sugar 8 g
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM APPLE GRAVY
- 1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- 2. In a large, shallow bowl add the flour, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together with 2 tablespoons water. In third bowl, combine bread crumbs and smoked paprika.
- 3. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4. Dredge the chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the chicken into eggs and then into the bread crumbs, shaking off excess. Place on a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- 5. Heat a thin layer of oil (enough to cover the chicken half way) to medium heat, in a large pan.
- 6. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken to oven-safe platter, and place in heated oven while you prepare the pan sauce.
- 7. Drain loose oil from pan chicken was cooked in and place back on stove.
- 8. For the gravy, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan over medium-low heat.
- 9. After the butter is melted, add the onions, and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the onions start to soften. Add the mushrooms, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook until mushrooms are reduced and their liquid is released.
- 10. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- 11. Add the apple juice, chicken stock, thyme and Dijon mustard. Whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously while scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced to desired consistency.
- 12. Remove the gravy from heat. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve gravy with warm chicken pieces over wide egg noodles.
People also searched
More about "chicken schnitzel with mushroom apple gravy recipes"
CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY | RECIPETIN EATS
- Place a plastic bag or cling wrap over the chicken and pound to even thickness 2cm / 4/5" thick. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper.
AUTHENTIC GERMAN SCHNITZEL AND JAEGER SAUCE - DELISHABLY
Author The Brady BlogPublished 2016-08-24 See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL - CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY ...
Author Cook Like KaykaViews 4.9K See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY – LIVING THE Q LIFE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
RECIPE: CRISPY CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MASHED POTATOES ...
4.2/5 (5.2K)Servings 2Cuisine GermanTotal Time 40 mins See details »
10 BEST SCHNITZEL GRAVY RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
CURTIS STONE'S MUSHROOM GRAVY WITH CHICKEN | RECIPE ...
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Roast chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165°F, 25 to 30 minutes
GERMAN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY | HOW TO FEED A LOON
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
CHICKEN "SCHNITZEL" WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE | MRFOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsCategory Chicken
- Between 2 pieces of wax paper, gently pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness with a mallet or rolling pin; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter; sauté mushrooms 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add soup, milk, wine, onion powder, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover to keep warm.
- Whisk eggs in a shallow dish and place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Coat chicken in egg, then in bread crumbs.
BEER-BRINED SCHNITZEL WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM GRAVY - BURRATA ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- For the brine, bring the water, salt, sugar, lemon and peppercorns to a boil, stirring to help dissolve the salt and sugar. Once it boils, pour into a large mixing bowl and continue to stir to dissolve. Add the beer and ice. Stir to help melt the ice cubes.
- Place one pork chop between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound until about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining pork chops. Submerge in the brine and refrigerate for two hours — three at the very most. Do not overbrine. It can ruin the meat. After brining, pat dry with paper towels and do not rinse off the brine. Let the pork sit in room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Right before breading, make the gravy by melting 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat the mushrooms. Allow to cook until browned. Don't stir too much to allow some caramelization.
- Remove the mushrooms. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Whisk in flour. Cook about three to four minutes, whisking constantly. Pour in chicken stock and heavy cream and whisk until the mixture smooths out. Continue to cook until thickened, whisking frequently. Stir in mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn to low to keep warm and whisk every so often. Alternatively, you can make the gravy after frying the schnitzel and keep the schnitzel warm in a 200-degree oven as the gravy cooks.
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM CIDER GRAVY - MY HOMEMADE ...
- In a large, shallow bowl (I use a pie pan) add flour, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. In a second bowl, whisk eggs together with 2 tablespoons water. In third bowl, combine bread crumbs and smoked paprika.
- Dredge chicken cutlet in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip cutlet into eggs and then into bread crumbs, shaking off excess. Place on a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
GERMAN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY - NEWEST RECIPES
4/10 See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM CIDER GRAVY | MY HOMEMADE ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins See details »
RECIPE GOLDEN CHICKEN SCHNITZELS WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Estimated Reading Time 3 minsPublished 2019-05-28 See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL - COOK N' SHARE
See details »
PORK SCHNITZEL & MUSHROOM GRAVY - COOK2EATWELL - RECIPES
See details »
AUTHENTIC GERMAN JäGERSCHNITZEL (HUNTER SCHNITZEL WITH ...
See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE | QUICK DINNER ...
See details »
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH MUSHROOM APPLE GRAVY - FOOD RECIPES
See details »
PORK SCHNITZEL & MUSHROOM GRAVY | SCHNITZEL RECIPES, PORK ...
See details »
You'll also love
Want to buy ingredients ?