MY BEST CLAM CHOWDER
A delicious, traditional, cream based chowder, this recipe calls for the standard chowder ingredients: onion, celery, potatoes, diced carrots, clams, and cream. A little red wine vinegar is added before serving for extra flavor.
Provided by PIONEERGIRL
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 501.2 calories, Carbohydrate 28.4 g, Cholesterol 136.6 mg, Fat 32.7 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 23.9 g, SaturatedFat 19.7 g, Sodium 712.3 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
- First, shuck the clams and remove the bellies. Clean the clams and then chop them into small pieces. Put to the side until ready to add to the pot.
- Heat the butter in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the celery and sweet onion and cook, mixing often, until they begin to soften. Next, sprinkle in the salt, black pepper and seafood boil seasoning. Add the self-rising flour to make a roux. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the clams and clam juice.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon and finely chop. Add to the pot. Add the potatoes along with the scallions. Stir to combine. Lastly, add the milk and half-and-half. Stir to warm. Serve in a bowl with parsley as a garnish.
SEAFOOD CHOWDER POT PIE
A flaky puff pastry crust tops a hot and rich mixture of vegetables, shrimp and crabmeat. Great for brunch or dinner!
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat 2 cups water and the salt to boiling over high heat. Add potatoes; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 11x7-inch (2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in heavy 3-quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. Using wire whisk, stir flour into bacon drippings. Gradually stir in clam juice, whipping cream and onion salt. Heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in potatoes, bacon, peas and carrots, corn and thyme. Cook 3 to 4 minutes longer or until hot. Stir in shrimp and crabmeat. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- On lightly floured surface, unfold pastry. Roll into 12x8-inch rectangle. With sharp knife, cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry in baking dish over hot seafood mixture. Roll outer edges of pastry over edges of baking dish, and press onto edges.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 440, Carbohydrate 42 g, Cholesterol 145 mg, Fat 3, Fiber 3 g, Protein 19 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1090 mg, Sugar 3 g, TransFat 1 1/2 g
The clam pizza is thought to have been born in New Haven at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, in the middle of the last century, and has since made its way south to New York City. My recipe honors no one particular preparation but does pay homage to the clam pan roasts of the Grand Central Oyster Bar. It uses as sauce the building blocks of a classic clam chowder - alliums slowly fried with bacon, then infused with clam juice and wine, reduced to a glaze and thickened with cream - and tops it with chopped clams, lemon zest and a spray of hot pepper flakes. This makes for a heavy pie. If you're having a hard time moving it around on the pizza peel before baking, place a sheet of parchment paper beneath the dough, which will help when you slide the pie to the hot surface of the baking stone in the oven.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories pizza and calzones, main course
Yield 4 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place a pizza stone or tiles on the middle rack of your oven, and turn heat to its highest setting. Let it heat for at least an hour.
- Put the clams in a large, heavy Dutch oven, add about 2 cups of water and 3/4 cup of the wine, then set over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook until clams have opened, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. (Clams that fail to open after 15 to 20 minutes should be discarded.) Strain clam broth through a sieve lined with cheesecloth or doubled-up paper towels, and set aside. Remove clams from shells, chop roughly and set aside.
- Rinse out the pot, and return it to the stove. Add butter, and turn heat to medium low. Add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the bacon has started to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon from fat, and set aside.
- Add the leeks to the fat, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and half of the parsley. Continue cooking and stirring until the leeks are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the remaining wine and approximately 1 cup of the reserved clam stock (save the rest for another use), and continue cooking until the liquids have reduced almost to syrup.
- Add cream and black pepper. Let the mixture come to a bare simmer, then allow to reduce and thicken, then add reserved clams and remove from heat. (You can do all this the day before you make the pizza, then refrigerate until ready to use.)
- Make the pizza. Lightly flour a work surface, and stretch or roll the dough into a 12-inch round. Place on a lightly floured pizza peel or rimless baking sheet. Using a pastry brush or a spoon, lightly paint the surface of the dough with some of the cream from the clams, leaving a half-inch border all around. Then top the pizza with the chopped clams, bacon and leeks, and the cheese. (If there is any remaining liquid, you can lightly - lightly! - drizzle the pie with it.)
- Shake the pizza peel slightly to make sure the dough is not sticking. (Gently lift any sections that are sticking, and sprinkle the peel with flour.) Carefully slide the pizza directly onto the baking stone in one quick, forward-and-back motion. Cook until the crust has browned on the bottom and the top is bubbling and browning in spots, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley, the lemon zest and red-pepper flakes to taste, then serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 415, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 31 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 14 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 665 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook bacon and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and onion is tender; drain off fat.
- Drain clams, reserving liquid. Add enough water, if necessary, to clam liquid to measure 1 cup.
- Stir clams, clam liquid, potato, salt and pepper into bacon and onion. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in milk. Heat, stirring occasionally, just until hot (do not boil or soup may curdle).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240, Carbohydrate 19 g, Cholesterol 75 mg, Fat 1, Fiber 1 g, Protein 29 g, SaturatedFat 1 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving (about 1 cup), Sodium 490 mg, Sugar 8 g, TransFat 0 g
CONTEST-WINNING NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
This is the best New England clam chowder recipe, ever! In the Pacific Northwest, we dig our own razor clams and I grind them for the chowder. Since these aren't readily available, the canned clams are perfectly acceptable. -Sandy Larson, Port Angeles, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes., In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes., Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 260 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 22mg cholesterol, Sodium 788mg sodium, Carbohydrate 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
Clam chowder is a rich and creamy soup, bursting with the flavours and textures of shellfish, bacon and potatoes. Serve with crusty bread for a starter
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Rinse the clams in several changes of cold water and drain well. Tip the clams into a large pan with 500ml of water. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins until the clams have just opened. Tip the contents of the pan into a colander over a bowl to catch the clam stock. When cool enough to handle, remove the clams from their shells - reserving a handful of empty shells for presentation if you want. Strain the clam stock into a jug, leaving any grit in the bottom of the bowl. You should have around 800ml stock.
- Heat the butter in the same pan and sizzle the bacon for 3-4 mins until it starts to brown. Stir in the onion, thyme and bay and cook everything gently for 10 mins until the onion is soft and golden. Scatter over the flour and stir in to make a sandy paste, cook for 2 mins more, then gradually stir in the clam stock then the milk and the cream.
- Throw in the potatoes, bring everything to a simmer and leave to bubble away gently for 10 mins or until the potatoes are cooked. Use a fork to crush a few of the potato chunks against the side of the pan to help thicken - you still want lots of defined chunks though. Stir through the clam meat and the few clam shells, if you've gone down that route, and simmer for a minute to reheat. Season with plenty of black pepper and a little salt, if needed, then stir through the parsley just before ladling into bowls or hollowed-out crusty rolls.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 433 calories, Fat 29 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 19 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 22 grams protein, Sodium 2.9 milligram of sodium
NEW ENGLAND CLAM PIE
If you love creamy New England style clam chowder, you will love this recipe. It works best with my mother's homemade pie crust recipe, but I sometimes use store bought pie shells for convenience. This pie is excellent as a left over, IF there's any left!
Provided by Kaya1245
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place clam juice, potatoes, carrots, and onion in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add clams and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix flour with light cream or milk (heavy cream will make the mixture too thick), and stir into the clam mixture.
- Bring to boil, stirring until the mixture thickens, remove from heat. Let mixture cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and prepare 1 pie shell in baking dish. Pour cooled mixture into the shell, and cover with the remaining shell, sealing the edges and poking airholes in the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook about 30 minutes longer, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the pie cool in order to let the filling set.
CLAM CHOWDER PIE
- Cook potato and onion in 1 cup water till tender; drain.
- Drain clams, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- In saucepan milt butter; stir in parsley, flour, salt, and dash of pepper.
- Add reserved clam liquid and milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cooked potato mixture and clams.
- Turn into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Prepare plain pastry shell.
- Roll out to a 10-inch circle; place atop filling.
- Turn edges under and flute; cut slits for escape of steam.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425 for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Cook bacon in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until light golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, until almost no liquid remains, about 45 seconds.
- Place clams and 2 cups water in a large pot over high heat; cook, covered, until clams open, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove clams, strain liquid, and add enough water to equal 4 cups; use as stock. When clams are cool enough to handle, remove from shells and chop.
- Add potatoes, stock, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 8 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; and stir in clams and cream. Heat 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.
More about "clam chowder pie recipes"
BEST EVER CREAMY CLAM CHOWDER | THE RECIPE CRITIC
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
10 BEST CLAM CHOWDER WITH CANNED CLAMS RECIPES
EASY CLAM CHOWDER - DAMN DELICIOUS
CREAMY CORN & CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - RICARDO
MO'S CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - BOWL ME OVER
MOM'S CLAM CHOWDER SOUP - CRAZY FOR CRUST
HOWARD JOHNSON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CLAM CHOWDER “POT PIE” - AMERICAN CULINARY FEDERATION
ONE HOUR CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - BERRIES AND PIE | RECIPE IN 2021 …
CLAM PIE RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE | CLAM PIE RECIPE, RECIPES, CLAMS
5 NEW ENGLAND CLAM PIE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
THICK NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | CLAM CHOWDER RECIPES, …
CLAM CHOWDER "POT PIE" | KRAFT HEINZ FOODSERVICE CANADA
CLAM CHOWDER PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CLAM CHOWDER (RECIPE VIDEO + STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE) - PROPERFOODIE
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CLAM CHOWDER PIE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
WOODMAN'S-STYLE CLAM CHOWDER | COOK'S COUNTRY
ONE HOUR CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - BERRIES AND PIE
PIONEER WOMAN CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER QUICHE RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
CLAM CHOWDER PIE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
BEST CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE (MARKET STREET COPYCAT) - FOODIECRUSH
BOSTON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE – STATE OF DINNER
CLASSIC CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE (STEPS - HOW TO COOK.RECIPES
EASY NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
EASY CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - BELLY FULL
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE PIONEER WOMAN
CLAM CHOWDER - FLYPEACHPIE
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | THE COOKING CAT
CLAM CHOWDER PIE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
10 BEST CLAM CHOWDER WITH EVAPORATED MILK RECIPES | YUMMLY
RECIPE: CLAM CHOWDER - ITEM - TBC CLASSIC
CAJUN CLAM CHOWDER - GRANDBABY CAKES
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #savory-pies #main-dish #seafood #shellfish #clams #pot-pie
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are some of the best clam chowder recipes?Whisk in mashed potatoes, clam juice (bottled and what you've drained from the clams) and 1 cup of water. Add new potatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; continue to simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in clams, cream and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
How to cook clams?Directions. 1 Step 1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until ... 2 Step 2. 3 Step 3. Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt ...
How do you make clam soup?Place potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion into a large skillet; pour in clam juice and add enough water to cover. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth.
How to make clam mashed potatoes?Directions. Whisk in mashed potatoes, clam juice (bottled and what you've drained from the clams) and 1 cup of water. Add new potatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; continue to simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in clams, cream and parsley; season with salt and pepper.