CROCK-POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
A strong and tasty soup. This is not a creamed soup like many mulligatawnies. It's loaded with bite-size veggies and chicken.
Provided by Kimosabe
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Place all in Crock-Pot and cook high 4 to 6 hours or on high for one hour and then low for 7 to 9 hours.
- It's done when vegetables are fully soft.
- Sometimes old crock pots don't put out enough heat to be finished by stated cooking times.
- When it's all done, take about two cups of it and put it in a blender and puree. Use a towel over the blender top and hold down firmly to avoid a hot splatter. In a few seconds its about the consistency of baby food.
- Stir it back into the soup. This really idealizes the broth of the soup without watering it down.
- Like a lot of things, I think this might be better on the second day.
- Note: other additions could be: chopped coriander, frozen thawed green peas, cubed white potatoes, diced turnips, diced zucchini.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
SLOW-COOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
This soup is the result of British colonizers' encounters with rasam, a souplike dish from Tamil Nadu, a region in southern India, that's often made with lentils. "Milagu tannir," or pepper water, evolved into mulligatawny when the British made it thick, chunky and meaty. In her book "From Curries to Kabobs," the author Madhur Jaffrey wrote that mulligatawny was "an essential part of my childhood," as she ate it at the homes of Anglo-Indian friends and in hotels on vacation. Mulligatawny now bears no resemblance to rasam and has many variations; it is a dish that was invented and modified for colonizers' palates, and thus it has few rules. Ms. Jaffrey noted that "some curry powder has to be included for a true East-West flavor," as curry powder is more British than Indian. This slow-cooker version is thickened with masoor dal and coconut cream, and enriched with chicken thighs and tart apple.
Provided by Sarah DiGregorio
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Combine all the ingredients except the coconut cream and lime juice in a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the coconut cream and lime juice. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve in bowls topped with a dusting of cayenne, if desired.
One taste of this traditional curry-flavored soup, and folks will know it didn't come from a can! This soup fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma while it's simmering.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a Dutch oven, saute the apple, carrot, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry, sugar, salt, pepper and mace until blended. Gradually add broth. , Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, tomato, green pepper, cloves and parsley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add rice; heat through. Discard cloves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 160 calories, Fat 8g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 31mg cholesterol, Sodium 925mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP I
The name Mulligatawny means 'pepper water', and curry is the particular ingredient that gives this incredible soup such a delicious flavor...so I'm told. This old recipe was given to me long ago.
Provided by L. Peter
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Saute onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot. Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes. Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about 1/2 hour.
- Add apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done.
- When serving, add hot cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 222.8 calories, Carbohydrate 13.5 g, Cholesterol 62.2 mg, Fat 15.8 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 9.5 g, Sodium 733.9 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - (4.1/5)
Provided by 1buttons
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions are softened and just beginning to brown, 10 to 14 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in broth, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in chicken, coconut milk, and lentils. Cover and cook until chicken and lentils are tender, 4 to 5 hours on low. Let sit, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Using large spoon, skim fat from surface of soup. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
CROCK POT VEGAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
A hearty root vegetable soup, with sweet curry spices. Serve with a citrus salad and thick whole grain bread. Use vegetable stock for part of the water for a richer soup. I use a prepared garam masala that is not hot, just sweet.
Provided by Chef George S.
Categories Low Protein
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Turn the crockpot on high and add the hot water or stock, the salt, peas and rice.
- Heat a small skillet with the olive oil. Add the garam masala and onion and garlic. Saute until onions are limp and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add to crockpot and stir.
- Add yams, parsnips and apples.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn to low and simmer for 4 to 6 hours.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, use a slotted spoon to remove the large vegetable chunks.
- Take the stock with the peas and rice, and run in batches through a food processor or blender to puree.
- Taste and adjust salt, and other spices.
- Add back in vegetables and cook for another 30 minutes to meld flavors.
VEGETARIAN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
A quick and tasty vegetarian version of the popular Indian mulligatawny soup. Use prepared curry powder and peeled baby carrots to cut down on prep time. Excellent with naan (Indian flatbread) or served over rice.
Provided by EKG
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and curry powder; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, potatoes, lentils, and carrots and bring to a simmer. Cook until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Return to the heat and add coconut milk, lemon juice, cilantro, and tamarind concentrate. Stir until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 342.1 calories, Carbohydrate 42 g, Cholesterol 8.2 mg, Fat 14.9 g, Fiber 15.6 g, Protein 12.9 g, SaturatedFat 11.4 g, Sodium 381.6 mg, Sugar 5.8 g
Liz and Kurt Gruber of Bellevue, Washington, write: "We really enjoyed the mulligatawny soup we had at Shamiana in nearby Kirkland. Could you get the recipe?"
Yield Makes 8 first-course or 4 main-course servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add garam masala and next 4 ingredients; stir 1 minute. Add lentils; stir until coated. Add chicken broth. Bring soup to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are very tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in chicken, coconut milk, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among bowls. Pour soup over. Garnish with lemon wedges; serve.
MULLIGATAWNY INSPIRED SOUP RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: olive oil, butter, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, small tart apples, diced tomato, vegetable stock, chicken stock, salt, pepper, curry powder, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, large bay leaves, large chicken breast, rice
Provided by Kristyn Ruhf
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Heat a stock pot or Dutch oven on medium low heat and to it, add olive oil and butter. Sweat out onion, celery, and carrots until softened.
- Add apple and garlic, and saute until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, broths or stocks, and all spices/herbs. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes,until all vegetables and the apples are nice and soft.
- Add in shredded chicken and rice and simmer for about 10 more minutes to let flavors blend.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 880 calories, Carbohydrate 83 grams, Fat 54 grams, Fiber 10 grams, Protein 13 grams, Sugar 29 grams
More about "crock pot mulligatawny soup recipes"
CROCK POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
Servings 8Total Time 6 hrs
SLOW COOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - THRIFTY FOODS
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - JUST 15 MINUTES - COOKTHESTORY
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - ALL INFORMATION ...
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE (INSTANT POT LENTIL SOUP) - FUN ...
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP | CHICKEN.CA
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE WITH CHICKEN - ZUCCHINI SISTERS
SOUP KING RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - A FAMILY FEAST®
SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - COOK'S COUNTRY
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP (EASY VERSION) - IMMACULATE BITES ONE …
CROCK POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - TILLY'S NEST
CROCK POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HEALTHY MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
MULLIGATAWNY SOUP (ALMOST ALL CROCK POT) - MY BIZZY KITCHEN
SLOWCOOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | RECIPE | SOUP ...
SLOW COOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
EMERILS MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
EASY MULLIGATAWNY - THE PIONEER WOMAN
CROCK POT MULLIGATAWNY SOUP - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
PIN ON SOUPS
SLOW-COOKER MULLIGATAWNY RECIPE - SPARKRECIPES
CHICKEN MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
RECIPES > APPETIZERS > HOW TO MAKE MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
SLOW COOKER MULLIGATAWNY SOUP RECIPE - A YEAR OF SLOW COOKING
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Could You give Me a recipe for Mulligatawny soup at shamiana?Liz and Kurt Gruber of Bellevue, Washington, write: "We really enjoyed the mulligatawny soup we had at Shamiana in nearby Kirkland. Could you get the recipe?" Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
What is mulligatawny soup made of?Healthy Mulligatawny Soup – Our lighter Mulligatawny recipe is made with coconut milk and vibrant spices for a rich, bold, and healthy chicken curry soup! Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, apples and ginger.
How long do you cook mulligatawny in crock pot?This is not a creamed soup like many mulligatawnies. It's loaded with bite-size veggies and chicken. AMT. PER SERVING % DAILY VALUE Place all in Crock-Pot and cook high 4 to 6 hours or on high for one hour and then low for 7 to 9 hours.
What is your favorite recipe for Mulligatawny?Add half and half, salt, pepper, and sugar, then cook for another five minutes. Add chicken and diced apple and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off and allow to stand 5 or 10 minutes before serving. Taste for seasonings before serving. I can’t hear the name “Mulligatawny” without thinking of Seinfeld. I just can’t.