CAJUN DIRTY RICE
- Bring rice, 1 3/4 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 15 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
- Combine broth, Worcestershire, soy sauce, paprika, and oregano and set aside. Heat a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high. Add 1 tablespoon oil and beef; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up and brown meat all over, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Return skillet to high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan and stirring often so garlic doesn't burn, until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add liver and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally until rice is heated through and browned in places, 3 minutes. Return beef to skillet and add broth mixture. Cook until liquid is completely absorbed and rice gets browned and crisp in places, stirring and scraping every 30 seconds, about 5 minutes more. Check seasoning. Serve with sliced jalapenos and hot sauce.
KE'S CAJUN (DIRTY) RICE
This is rice with a kick. It is best served with Cajun chicken or another Cajun dish. You will love how this complements your main dish; however, because this rice contains some meat, it can be eaten alone. Enjoy!
Provided by akatenacious3
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Bring 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan, and stir in the brown rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Set the rice aside.
- Place ground turkey into a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the turkey until the meat gives up some of its fat, 2 to 3 minutes; stir in green bell pepper, onion, and minced garlic. Cook and stir until the turkey is crumbly and no longer pink and the vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 more minutes. Drain excess grease, if necessary. Stir in the cooked brown rice, garlic powder, celery flakes, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and 1/3 cup water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and additional black pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 141 calories, Carbohydrate 18.1 g, Cholesterol 27.9 mg, Fat 3.5 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 9.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 106.6 mg, Sugar 0.9 g
Dirty rice is as common at the Cajun table as mashed potatoes and gravy is elsewhere. It's the meatiest, richest rice dish you'll ever eat, and it gets its color, its dirtiness, from glorious, glorious meat. The trick to this dish is getting a good char on the ground beef. I like to use ground sirloin, keeping it in a block and searing it like I would a steak before the meat is broken up and braised. That caramelized meat makes the difference between a good pot of dirty rice and something you'd be embarrassed to serve a Cajun grandmother. Just before you combine the meat mixture with the rice, you've basically got a dark roux chili. If you added some fresh tomato and cooked it down until it's nice and tight, you'd have a killer ragu for an incredible lasagna. You can make the meat part of the Dirty Rice ahead of time and freeze it for up to 6 weeks.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Sear the meat: Season the block of sirloin -- no fancy shaping needed, just use it how it comes out of the tray from the grocery store -- with 1 teaspoon of salt on each side.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke. Place the sirloin block in the skillet in one piece and let it sear until it really browns and caramelizes, 3 to 5 minutes. Then flip it and repeat, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Let it do its thing.
- Once the block of sirloin is well seared, chop it up in the pan with a metal spatula to sear the inside bits. Add the black pepper, cumin, and cayenne and stir well. Cook for a minute. Add the beer to deglaze the pan, and cook 1 minute longer, scraping up any browned bits. Remove from the heat and set aside. At this point, you could freeze the meat.
- Make the gravy: In a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat, make a dark roux using the oil and flour, about 45 minutes. Once it's the color of milk chocolate, add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and stir together. Cook for a minute. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the beer and mix well. In 1/3-cup increments, add the stock, stirring well between each addition. Stir frequently, but not continuously, until you have a well emulsified gravy, thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the gravy is done, add the cooked beef. Add a splash of stock to the meat pan to deglaze to get the remaining "junk" out -- the delicious extra bits that stick to the pan -- and add to the gravy and meat. Bring the meat and gravy mixture back to a bare simmer. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until the raw flour has all cooked out and the sauce has no chalky or floury flavor.
- To serve: Add the cooked rice, butter, and green onions to the meat gravy in the pot. Stir it all together over low heat, just to warm it all through. Add salt to taste and serve.
DIRTY (CAJUN) RICE
This is a recipe I developed by trying to duplicate a rice dish from a restaurant. It ended up being very simple and quick. It came very close to the original. Some folks even say it's better.
Provided by Pepina Rae
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Cook rice.
- While rice is cooking, chop onions into 1/4" pieces separating the bottoms from the tops.
- Sauté the bottoms along with the loose sausage until cooked thoroughly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Then add 1/2 bouillon cube and 1/4 cup water and mix thoroughly. Turn off heat.
- Add onion tops and toss so that residual heat will take the bite out of the onions.
- Mix rice with meat mixture and serve.
- NOTE: The amount of onions are to taste, but do not use less than 2 bunches. The Cajun seasoning is also to taste. Do not add salt, as the bouillon and Cajun seasoning take care of the saltiness. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 504.1, Fat 24.2, SaturatedFat 8.6, Cholesterol 57.6, Sodium 657, Carbohydrate 53.9, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 1, Protein 15.8
CAJUN DIRTY RICE
One of our family's all-time favorites. Make it as spicy or mild as you please. It is hearty on a cold winter's night. If you are cooking for a crowd, this recipe can easily be doubled. Be sure to serve this with cornbread!
Provided by SEISEN
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, sausage, and onion; drain.
- In a large pan, combine rice mix and 2 cups water. Add diced tomatoes and chilies. Stir in the kidney beans. Bring to a boil, then add meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Return to boil, reduce heat, and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook for 25 minutes, until rice is easily fluffed with a fork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 484.8 calories, Carbohydrate 41.4 g, Cholesterol 72.3 mg, Fat 23.5 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 26.2 g, SaturatedFat 9.6 g, Sodium 1541.4 mg, Sugar 0.6 g
More about "dirty cajun rice recipes"
CAJUN DIRTY RICE - PINCH OF NOM
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, adding a bay leaf and chicken stock cube to the water before cooking. Set the rice aside once cooked
- Add the stock pot to 200ml of boiling water and set aside (this isn't the water that you cook the rice in - this is separate)
DIRTY RICE (CAJUN RICE) - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
- Add ground beef, sausage and liver to a large saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Add flour and stir. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne, oregano, thyme and bay leaves and stir to combine.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat all allow to rest for 5 minutes. Remove lid, gently fluff rice with a fork, reapply lid and rest for 5 more minutes.
CAJUN DIRTY RICE - THE COOKING BRIDE
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Place chicken livers in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt. Boil the chicken livers for 7-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Skim foam from the top of the cooking broth, or strain, reserving the broth. Set the livers aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into bite-sized pieces. Remove the ground beef from the pan and set aside. Reserve some of the grease.
DIRTY RICE | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA CUISINE DE MAW MAW
4/5 (2)Category Side DishesServings 8Total Time 2 mins
- In a small stock pot add 1 quart of water and 8 oz of chicken gizzards, 1 of the yellow onions (chopped), 2 stalks of celery, chopped carrots and the chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 90 minutes until gizzards are tender and almost falling apart. Remove gizzards from stock, let cool, chop medium fine and set aside. You should keep this stock, it freezes well and it's a very rich stock for other recipes.
- In a rice pot, wash the long grain rice under cold water until the water turns clear (about 4-6 times). Add 3 cups of water (if the water is higher than the length from the tip of your middle finger to the first knuckle then you have too much water. Add a tsp of salt. Bring rice to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover the rice and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not remove the lid from the rice pot while cooking. Remove and set aside. This may be done anytime during the cooking/preparation process.
- In a big cast iron (dutch oven), sweat your Holy Trinity (that's the celery, bell pepper and onions) until the onions start to turn transparent. Add chicken gizzards, and sauté until gizzards are cooked. Remove gizzards from the holy trinity and chop very fine. Return to the Holy Trinity and then add ground beef and ground pork-over medium heat brown until fully cooked, but not over cooked, then drain. (when the liquid turns from pink to clear the beef and pork is cooked.)
- Strain through a colander to get rid of any excess fat. Return to the Dutch over and on a low fire add the chopped sausage, garlic cloves, and fully cooked, chopped chicken gizzards. Remember these gizzards must be very tender and not chewy. Add salt and pepper to taste ( I like very little salt but don't be stingy on the black pepper!).
POPEYE'S CAJUN RICE - COPYKAT RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Finely chop or pulse thechicken gizzards in a food processor. In a frying pan, stir in the ground beef,ground chicken gizzards, and bell pepper and cook on medium-high heat until thebeef loses its pink color and the bell pepper is soft. Remove excessgrease.
- Turn the temperature downto medium or medium-low and add the remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring,until the ground beef is completely cooked and liquid is gone (about 25-35 mins.) More Creole seasoning and red pepper may be added for that Cajun at heart taste.I like to use Tony Chachere's.
BEST DIRTY RICE RECIPE - THE NOVICE CHEF
4.6/5 (15)Category 30 Minutes or LessCuisine CajunTotal Time 30 mins
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a dutch oven), over medium-high heat, cook ground meat until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover pot with tight fitting lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
AUTHENTIC CAJUN DIRTY RICE - HOW TO FEED A LOON
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Once hot, add the pork and chicken livers and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add salt, pepper, and chili powder and stir often, but not constantly: The idea is to get the meat to stick to the pan and get a little crusty.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and simmer until it has evaporated, allowing the meat mixture to get browned and crusty and stick to the pan once again.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic, jalapeño, and oregano and cook, stirring, until the veggies are nicely browned and crusty and beginning to stick to the pan.
CAJUN DIRTY RICE RECIPE (KETO/LOWCARB) - EASY AND DELISH
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- You can use the same ingredients for the authentic or traditional Cajun dirty rice to make low carb dirty rice, except for the rice itself-- meaning, replace white rice with cauliflower rice.
- HEAT A LARGE skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken livers, if using. When the beef is mostly browned, add ¼ cup water, Cajun spice, bay leaves, hot sauce, salt, and oregano. Cook until the water evaporates and the spices are well incorporated into the meat, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cover. Cook until the cauliflower is cooked through, for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. (If using shredded cabbage, add the cabbage, cover, and remove from heat. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 to 2 minutes before serving). Remove the bay leaves and discard. ” (Page 174, Easy Keto in 30 Minutes)
CAJUN RICE RECIPE (LOUISIANA-STYLE RICE) - THE ANTHONY KITCHEN
- Add the butter to a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Do not allow the butter to burn. As soon as the butter has melted, add the diced peppers and onion and stir to coat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, thyme, paprika, pepper, and bay leaf to the saucepan and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and tender to your liking. Set aside for 10 minutes, covered.
EASY CAJUN DIRTY RICE RECIPE WITH GROUND BEEF (KETO ...
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the meat and livers; break apart as needed. Sauté until browned and cooked to your liking.
DIRTY CAJUN CAULIFLOWER "RICE" - THE DEFINED DISH - RECIPES
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the ghee. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and andouille sausage. Cook, stirring often, until the veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the seasoning mixture and toss until well combined and continue to cook, stirring, toasting the spices to bring out more flavor, about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the cauliflower rice and green onions and toss until well combined. Cook, stirring, until the cauliflower rice is just tender but not soggy, 4 to 5 more minutes.
THE BEST DIRTY RICE RECIPE - DIRTY RICE - GRANDBABY CAKES
- In a large bowl, cover the rice with 2 to 3 inches of cold water. Stir the rice with your hand and drain. Repeat five or six times, until the water runs clear.
- Transfer the washed rice to a medium heavy bottomed pot. Add enough fresh cold water to cover the rice by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Do not overcook.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the livers and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage with the back of a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the livers and sausage to a small bowl. Add the onion, green and red bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno to the pan, and cook over medium high heat until the vegetables are soft, Stirring occasionally until 10 minutes.
CAJUN DIRTY RICE (ONE POT RECIPE!) - NO SPOON NECESSARY
- Brown pork sausage: In a Dutch oven or high-sided large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork sausage and cook, undisturbed for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the pork over and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, undisturbed for an additional 2 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to stir and break the pork up into large crumbles. Cook the crumbled of pork 1 more minute undisturbed. Use a large, slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. (Note: Pork will continue to cook in next steps)
- Brown the andouille: Add the andouille sausage to the pan. Cook, undisturbed for 2 minutes. Stir and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the andouille is well caramelized about 2 additional minutes. Use a large, slotted spoon to remove the andouille sausage to a separate paper towel-lined plate and set aside. (Note: If you have a lot of fat in the pan, drain off or blot all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan before proceeding with the next step.)
- Add vegetables + seasonings: Reduce the heat to medium and add the bell peppers, onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, Cajun seasoning and cayenne. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the rice + broth: Return the pork sausage to the pan. Add the rice, broth and bay leaf (if using). Stir everything together, using the back of your spoon to gently scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
DIRTY RICE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and pour remaining chicken broth in a medium saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups water and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Add rice, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Once you have the ground beef crumbled, add onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are softened. Add chicken livers and garlic and continue to cook 5 minutes.
CLASSIC CAJUN DIRTY RICE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
TONY CHACHERE RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE MICROWAVE ...
See details »
CAJUN DIRTY RICE | DIRTY RICE - YOUTUBE
See details »
CHURCHS CHICKEN CAJUN RICE RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
See details »
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN DIRTY RICE ~ BEST NEW ORLEANS STYLE RECIPE
See details »
EASY DIRTY RICE (CAJUN RICE) - LITTLE SUNNY KITCHEN
See details »
HOW TO MAKE EASY DIRTY RICE RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
See details »
EASY AS 1-2-3 CAJUN DIRTY RICE - YOUTUBE
See details »
THE SPRUCE EATS - CLASSIC CAJUN DIRTY RICE | FACEBOOK
See details »
DIRTY RICE RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
See details »
You'll also love