CROCK POT GOETTA
- Place water, oats, salt and pepper into the crock pot and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Add meats and break up well.
- Add onion, sage, thyme and bay.
- cook for 4 hours on low, stirring now and again.
- Uncover and add cornmeal-stir well.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Turn out into 3 loaf pans, cool and chill in fridge.
- When set turn out and freeze what you want.
- Slice and fry in a little butter or oil until brown and crusty, but dont let them touch in the pan or they will run.
DORSEL'S GOETTA VARIATION NO. 2 (CROCK POT)
Goetta is something like "Scrapple" that's not so greasy. It may be a German dish but in the U.S., it is very popular around Cincinnati, Ohio. Most folks I know eat it as an all-in-one breakfast dish with either syrup, gravy, or melted butter on it. The Dottie Dorsel Pinhead Oatmeal Company sort of set the standard for the recipe and this is a slightly modifide entry of their "alternative version" (non-onion version) of Goetta.
Provided by Bone Man
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 2 loaves
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Blend the ground meat. Set aside.
- In a crock pot, combine water, salt and pepper. Cook on high (covered) for 20 minutes then stir in oatmeal. Cover and cook on high for 90 more minutes.
- Add meat and savory seasoning at the end of the 90 minutes -- blend well. Cover and cook on low for 3 more hours.
- At the end of the 3 hours, if the goetta is not thick enough, cook it a little longer, stirring often.
- Pour into bread pans, cover with cling wrap, and place in refrigerator. It will keep for days.
- When you're ready to eat it, slice the loaf of goetta and put it into a skillet with the bacon fat. Fry over medium heat until it is well browned, turning once.
- NOTE: A good friend of mine who makes this all the time use 16 cups of water for this recipe, which is double the recommendation, so don't be afraid to use more than 8 cups if it seems to need it before the cooking time is up. Also, good sausage can be substituted for the ground pork, if you wish.
My husband's grandfather, a German, introduced goetta to me when we first got married. I found a slow-cooker recipe and changed some of the ingredients to make this the best goetta around. Now, many people request the recipe. It makes a lot of sausage, but it freezes well. -Sharon Geers, Wilmington, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine water, oats and seasonings. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours. Remove bay leaves., In a large skillet, cook sausage and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Stir sausage mixture and reserved drippings into oats. Cook, covered, on low 2 hours., Transfer mixture to 2 waxed paper-lined 9x5-in. loaf pans. Refrigerate, covered, overnight., To serve, slice each loaf into 16 slices. In a large skillet, cook goetta, in batches, over medium heat until lightly browned and heated through, 3-4 minutes on each side. Freeze option: After shaping the goetta in loaf pans, cool and freeze, covered, until firm. Transfer goetta to freezer containers or wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. Partially thaw in refrigerator overnight; slice and cook as directed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 121 calories, Fat 7g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 15mg cholesterol, Sodium 450mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
GOETTA RECIPE - (4.2/5)
Provided by hcardall
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Line the pot with the bag. Bring water, salt, bay leaves and pepper to boil in a slow cooker set to High. (If this isn't happening, cheat... start it up on the stove... and dump in to a warmed up crock pot that has a little water in it already). Stir in steel cut oats, cover, and cook 90 minutes. In a large bowl, mix beef, pork, onions and garlic. Stir into the oat mixture, and reduce heat to Low. Cover, and continue cooking 1.5 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. SPECIAL NOTE: I had doubled the original recipe the first time and had 5 cups of oats and 4 cups of meat... NO WAY it would all fit in the crock pot. If the mixture seems to be too much to add to the crock pot at this time, simply take it out after the oats are finished cooking and transfer to a large roasting pan (such as a Turkey Roaster). Set the temp to 300 degrees. Mix the Oats and Meat together and continue cooking in oven for about 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes. Continue to the next step... everything will be fine. Remember, you are only partially cooking the Goetta. It will be fully cooked when you fry it for breakfast. Transfer the mixture to a medium baking pan/ loaf pans lined with plastic wrap (easier to remove and clean), and cool until semi-solid by chilling 1 hour or more in the refrigerator, or until firm. I did this at night, so I covered with plastic wrap and left in refrigerator overnight. After completely cooled, turn out onto wax paper onto cutting board, and cut into thin slices. Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Cook slices one at a time in the heated oil until evenly brown on each side. You can freeze the slices up to 3 months if you are not ready to eat the entire mixture at once. Just put freezer paper between slices. Pull out and defrost what you need and fry up one at time when ready. Be careful in oil, if any frozen ice hits the oil.
More about "dorsels goetta variation no 2 crock pot recipes"
MARY NELL'S GOETTA RECIPE
GOETTA - RECIPE GOLDMINE RECIPES
GOETTA SLIDERS PLUS AN APPETIZER ROUND UP - DAD WHATS 4 DINNER
GOETTA | RECIPELION.COM
GOETTA RECIPES IN A SLOW COOKER | BRYONT BLOG
GOETTA (CINCINNATI SAUSAGE GRAIN PATTIES) - THE DARING GOURMET
GOETTA - RECIPECIRCUS.COM
HOW TO MAKE GOETTA IN A CROCK-POT - OUR EVERYDAY LIFE
GOETTA RECIPE (DORSAL'S PINHEAD OATS) | RECIPES, FOOD
SUPER TIRED - JUST MADE DORSEL'S RECIPE FOR GOETTA IN THE …
DORSEL'S GOETTA VARIATION NO. 2 (CROCK POT) RECIPE
DORSELS PINHEAD OATMEAL GOETTA RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST …
30+ DUMP AND GO SLOW COOKER RECIPES - THE RECIPE REBEL
GOETTA - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
SLOW COOKER OVERNIGHT GOETTA - DAD WHATS 4 DINNER
DORSEL'S GOETTA VARIATION NO. 2 (CROCK POT)
CROCK POT GOETTA - BIGOVEN
GOETTA OUTSIDE OF CINCY ? : CINCINNATI - REDDIT
GOETTA RECIPES IN A SLOW COOKER - FOOD NEWS
WORLD COMMON SIDE DISHES: CROCK POT GOETTA
46 SLOW COOKER RECIPES FOR TWO | TASTE OF HOME
10 BEST PINHEAD OATS RECIPES | YUMMLY
CROCK POT GOETTA RECIPE - FOOD NEWS - FOODNEWSNEWS.COM
GOETTA (CROCK POT) - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
STOCK THE CROCK: 100 MUST-HAVE SLOW-COOKER RECIPES, 200 …
LET’S GET FRANK! HOW TO COOK GOETTA THE RIGHT WAY
CROCK POT GOETTA | GERMAN BREAKFAST, RECIPES, FOOD
GERMAN GOETTA RECIPE - BUBBAPIE
GOETTA - RECIPE GOLDMINE RECIPES
GOETTA - DELICIOUS MEMORIES
CROCK POT GOETTA - MASTERCOOK
CROCK POT GOETTA RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES - SPARKPEOPLE
RECIPE FOR CROCKPOT GOETTA - ONLINE RECIPES FROM HINDS JERSEY FARM
HOW TO MAKE GOETTA - CINCINNATI MAGAZINE
Crockpot Recipes || EASY AND DELICIOUS SLOW COOKER DINNERS3.7K views-11:14
CROCK POT FAVORITES | SLOW COOKER RECIPES | DINNER IDEAS | FEEDING THE BYRDS4.1K views-10:58
4 Easy and Delicious Crockpot Recipes || SLOW COOKER DINNERS IDEAS4.5K views-12:09
Mama's Crock Pot Roast Start to Finish Recipe & Biscuits19K views-19:48
Easy and Delicious Crockpot Recipes || DUMP AND GO SLOW COOKER DINNERS7.4K views-19:07
DUMP AND GO Slow Cooker Recipes! EASY AND TASTY!66K views-10:26
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook goetta in a slow cooker?Combine the meats well with your hands. Empty the ground meat into the slow cooker. Stir to combine the oats, broth and meat. Season the goetta with your choice of herbs and spices. Traditional seasonings include salt, pepper, thyme, sage, bay leaves, onions, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sage and rosemary. Mix well. Replace the slow cooker's lid.
How to make the perfect goetta?To begin with, prepare all of the following ingredients: Half a pound of ground pork. Half a pound of ground beef. 1 ½ cup of steel cut oatmeal. Half of an onion. 4 cups of water. Salt. Pepper. Three bay leaves. Cooking oil or bacon fat. Skillet. A saucepan. There you go, that is all you need to start your quest for the perfect Goetta.
How do you cook goetta patties?Cooking the Goetta patties is much easier than preparing them. Simply get your chilled patties out of the fridge (or leave them out for about thirty minutes to an hour if you placed them inside the freezer). Fire up the stove and get your skillet ready.
Can you cook goetta in a non-stick pan?Put the Goetta on the non-stick pan gently and let it sit until the first side is nice and browned. Then gently flip it over for the second side. While we used Ground Beef and Ground Pork in our recipe, I’ve seen people use Ground Chicken and Ground Turkey as well.