Chili Colorado means chunks of BEEF in red sauce, NOT pork! Chunks of pork is carne adovado, shredded pork is carnitas. I've seen a couple other recipes here calling themselves colorado but containing pork and this is just plain wrong people. Furthermore, chili colorado is not a "mexican" version of american style chili... meaning it's not a thick, hearty type of chili with chunks of vegetables that can be seen or tasted. If you've ever had chili colorado in a real mexican restaurant, you know that it is simply chunks of beef in a red sauce and that's it. All the spices are ground. A note about chili powder: when you buy the spice labeled "chili powder" in the market be aware that it's not just chili powder, it's a mixture of chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt, etc. If you can, try to find pure chili powder made from new mexico or california chilis (I wouldn't use de Arbol chilis--too hot and wrong flavor). The label will point out what kind you're getting. Oh and one further note about reviews: I very much appreciate all the positive comments, but if you give me a bad review stating that you changed/added like four or five ingredients, then you've basically just made a whole new recipe based on mine, right? So do me a favor and post that new recipe yourself!
Provided by E. Nigma
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Spread the flour out on a plate and coat the beef cubes one by one in it, dusting off the excess. Don't skip this step because the flour also helps to thicken the sauce at the end.
- Brown the beef in a heavy-bottomed pot in the oil over medium-high heat. You want a lot of color on them because color equals flavor.
- Pour in all the spices, the tomato paste, and the water. Bring this to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, and cook low and slow for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beef is tender and falling apart. A good test is to take a piece and try to mash it on your cutting board with a fork. If it falls apart, you are golden.
- Serve it just by itself with mexican rice and refried beans or use it as a burrito filling.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155.2, Fat 9.8, SaturatedFat 1.3, Sodium 267.3, Carbohydrate 15.8, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 3.7, Protein 3
DUTCH OVEN CHILI COLORADO
- Soak the ancho chiles in boiling hot water to cover for 1 hour.
- While dried chiles soak, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the beef on all sides, working in small batches, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Drain chiles; remove stems and seeds. Place chiles, onions, garlic, ground chile pepper, salt, cumin seeds, oregano, and coriander in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to chop, then process into a thick paste. Add 1 cup beer and continue processing to blend.
- Place meat and any accumulated juices back in the Dutch oven, pour in sauce, and stir well. Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil, then place lid on top for a tight seal.
- Bake on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 1 hour; stir. Continue to bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until meat is fork-tender, 30 minutes to 1 hour more, adding more beer if sauce seems too thick.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 275.2 calories, Carbohydrate 7.6 g, Cholesterol 68.7 mg, Fat 17.9 g, Fiber 2.9 g, Protein 19.1 g, SaturatedFat 6.8 g, Sodium 447.7 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
More about "dutch oven chili colorado recipes"
DUTCH OVEN AWESOME CHILI - DUTCH OVEN DADDY
5/5 (5)Total Time 50 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 418 per serving
AUTHENTIC CHILE COLORADO - ISABEL EATS - EASY MEXICAN …
4.6/5 (150)Calories 377 per servingCategory Main
- In a medium pot, add dried Guajillo chiles, Ancho chiles, Arbol chiles, and onion to a medium pot. Cover with water until chiles and onions are completely submerged and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover and let it sit for 20 minute to soften the peppers.
HOMEMADE BEEF CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - LATINO FOODIE
EASY CHILI COLORADO | LITTLE HOUSE BIG ALASKA
Total Time 1 hr 50 minsCalories 332 per serving
- cut the beef in cubes, toss with the flour and brown it in batches in the hot oil, adding more oil between batches
CHILE COLORADO RECIPE - THE ART OF FOOD AND WINE
Ratings 4Category Dinner, LunchCuisine MexicanTotal Time 4 hrs 30 mins
- In a dry skillet, over medium heat, lightly heat the dried chile pepper pods until they are slightly brown and fragrant. About 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
THE BEST EASY SLOW COOKER/DUTCH OVEN NEW MEXICO GREEN ...
4.7/5 (13)Total Time 4 hrsCategory MainCalories 492 per serving
- Set your oven to broil. Wash and dry your tomatillos and hatch chiles. Rub them with oil (any oil is fine) and place in oven. Flip them when they are toasted to your liking and do the other side. This took 18 minutes in our oven at 550ºF.
- While you are waiting for your peppers to roast, brown your pork shoulder cubes in your dutch oven on high heat or your slow cooker on high/saute. Work in batches to avoid crowding. Once all the pork is browned, move it to a plate and set aside. Be sure to use a timer so you don’t forget about the chiles roasting in the oven, or check back after every batch of pork.
- Once the peppers are done, put them in a ziploc bag to steam for 10 minutes. Transfer the tomatillos along with cilantro, garlic, and a little salt to a blender and set aside.
CHILE COLORADO (HOW TO MAKE AHEAD, FREEZE, ETC.)
Reviews 15Servings 6Cuisine MexicanCategory Main Dish
- Cut the tops off of all the chilies with kitchen shears. Cut chilies along one edge to open like a book; scrape out all of the seeds. Reserve some of the seeds to finish the soup if you want more heat.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chiles and briefly toast until fragrant, Cover the chilies with enough water so that they aren't touching the bottom of the pan (careful it will steam a lot). Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off heat and let the chilies soak to soften while you prep the beef.
- Trim the beef of excess fat then chop into 1-inch pieces. Whisk together the flour, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper in a plastic bag or large bowl. Add the beef and toss to evenly coat; set aside.
- Remove chilies to blender along with 1 cup of the soaking liquid and the can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Process until smooth, leaving a corner of the blender open so steam can escape; set aside. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, then strain the chili sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, using rubber spatula to push the mixture through and discard the solids.
DUTCH OVEN PORK CHILE VERDE - BACK O' BEYOND
5/5 (1)Category Main CourseAuthor Max KarrenTotal Time 3 hrs 30 mins
- Set dutch oven on hot coals and add cooking oil. Dice onions and mince garlic, then add them to dutch oven once oil is hot.
- Dice poblano pepper, husk and quarter tomatillos, then set aside. Stir onions and garlic periodically. Once they are softened, add poblano peppers.
CAST IRON COOKING: TRY THIS MEATY DUTCH OVEN CHILI RECIPE ...
Reviews 13Estimated Reading Time 4 minsServings 6
CAMPFIRE DUTCH OVEN CHILI WITH CORNBREAD | BEEF LOVING …
Servings 10Total Time 1 hr
- Heat briquettes up in a chimney, then make a layer of hot briquettes on the ground, a fire ring, or other metal structure.
- Add oil to the dutch oven and sauté onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper stirring occasionally until tender, approximately 4-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add Ground Beef to dutch oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking beef into small crumbles and stirring occasionally until browned. If dutch oven starts to cool off, add more hot briquettes on the bottom.
CHILE COLORADO RECIPE (MEXICAN BEEF STEW) | LEMON BLOSSOMS
Ratings 39Calories 474 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Course
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the covered pot in the oven and cook for 1.5 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Place the seared beef, saute onions, garlic and spices into the slow cooker. Add the chile paste and broth. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours or until the beef is tender.
PORK GREEN CHILE STEW, CHILE VERDE - COOKING ON THE RANCH
5/5 (1)Total Time 3 hrs 15 minsCategory Soup, Stews And ChilisCalories 166 per serving
- Dice the onion. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When oil is hot, add pieces of pork. Cook in two batches searing until just browned.
- Remove pork to a plate. Set aside. Add diced onion to the Dutch oven and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add pork back into the Dutch oven along with chicken broth, canned tomatoes, chopped chile peppers, cumin, oregano, and chile powder.
PORK COLORADO GREEN CHILI (CHILI VERDE) - LITTLE PINE KITCHEN
Cuisine MexicanTotal Time 2 hrsCategory LunchesCalories 382 per serving
PORK CHILI COLORADO WITH GRITS AND EGG - BUSH COOKING
Cuisine AmericaCategory Dinner, Main Dish, StewServings 6Total Time 1 hr 40 mins
COLORADO GREEN CHILI WITH PORK - SUPER SAFEWAY
Cuisine AmericanCategory Main CourseServings 5Total Time 2 hrs 55 mins
CHILI COLORADO RECIPE - TFRECIPES.COM
DUTCH OVEN CHILI COLORADO RECIPE - ALL RECIPES
DUTCH OVEN CHICKEN RECIPE AT CAMP | MY724OUTDOORS.COM
BAKED BEAN & BEEF CHILI - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
DUTCH OVEN CHILI COLORADO RECIPES
11 BEST CHILI COLORADO RECIPE IDEAS - FOOD NEWS
COLORADO GREEN CHILI RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
CHILI COLORADO WITH BEEF CHEEKS - BBQ-HEROES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What's the best way to cook chili in Dutch oven?To avoid clumping, don’t add them all at once. Put the Dutch oven back on the burner over medium heat. Do a little dance and sing “sprinkle and stir,” “sprinkle and stir,” and “sprinkle and stir” until they’ve all been incorporated and mixed in well.
What's the best way to cook chile colorado?Discard the solids. In a large bowl, add the beef, flour, salt and pepper. Toss together to coat. Heat a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in half of the meat and brown on all sides so they have a good sear, about 5 minutes.
What kind of chilies are in chile colorado?Chile Colorado is a rich, bold, aromatic stew made of tender chunks of beef simmered in a dynamic red chile sauce made from dried Mexican chilies. It is one for the recipe binder!
How to cook ground beef in a Dutch oven?Heat a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in half of the meat and brown on all sides so they have a good sear, about 5 minutes. Transfer the browned beef into a bowl and repeat the process with the remaining uncooked meat. Once the second batch of meat has browned, return all the meat into the pot.