BEEF POT PIES
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy pot. Sear the meat over medium-high heat in batches until brown, 4 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Add the carrots, celery and shallots and saute until the vegetables start to wilt, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the mustard, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the flour and saute for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine, beef broth and 1 cup water. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir. Bring to a boil. Return the browned meat to the pot and reduce the heat to low. Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs, then cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons flour with a little water and pour into the stew. Cook and thicken for 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry sheets one by one to get rid of the creases. Set a 6- to 8-inch ovensafe skillet upside down on a pastry sheet and cut a circle around it, making it 1/2 inch larger than the dish. Repeat with the remaining 5 skillets using all of the pastry sheets; discard the scraps.
- Put the 6 skillets onto 2 baking sheets and fill the skillets with the cooled beef mixture. Sprinkle over some chopped bacon and 1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley on each.
- Top each skillet with a pastry circle, pressing along the edges to seal. Mix together the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl to make an egg wash. Brush each pastry lid with the egg wash. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
PROPER ENGLISH COTTAGE PIE
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- To Make Meat Filling: Place a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble in ground beef and saute 1 minute. Add onion and carrot, then continue to saute until meat is no longer pink and onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in flour, cinnamon, mixed herbs, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine beef broth and tomato paste. Mix together, then add to beef mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat and simmer mixture for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all of liquid has been absorbed. Spoon mixture into a 9 inch pie plate.
- To Make Potato Topping: Place diced potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and place over high heat. Allow to come to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes until smooth, then add butter or margarine, followed by milk. Whip until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread potatoes over beef filling. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, until top is browned and cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 512.5 calories, Carbohydrate 34.8 g, Cholesterol 100.2 mg, Fat 30.9 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 24.1 g, SaturatedFat 15.8 g, Sodium 490.6 mg, Sugar 5.7 g
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH BEEF & POTATO PICNIC PIES - PASTIES
Delicious little "hand pies" which are ideal for picnics as well as for brunch, lunch & light snacks. These are very easy to make & can be made ahead & frozen for up to 3 months. I made these using individual 5" disposable aluminium pie tins; however, the ingredients listed would also make a large double-crusted plate pie. Serve them warm or cold with pickles, relishes, chutneys & assorted salads. Also wonderful with hot gravy! The individual 5" pies that have been made here are quite generous, so if you wish, make them smaller than that - maybe in a muffin tin!
Provided by French Tart
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 6 individual pies, 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 19
- First peel and cut your potatoes into even size chunks & then boil for about 15-20 minutes or until very tender, but not too mushy.
- Drain the potatoes and add the milk, butter, salt & pepper to taste.
- Mash very well with a potato masher or using a hand-held mixer.
- Mash/mix until there are no lumps left.
- The mashed potato should be smooth but fairly firm and not too soft.
- Heat up the oil in a large roomy pan and add the diced onions. Add the garlic if using with the onions.
- Cook the onions for about 15-20 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Remove the onions and set to one side in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the minced beef, adding a bit more oil if necessary. Stir the minced beef all the time to break down any lumps. Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes until cooked & brown all the way through.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, soy sauce, herbs, tomato puree if using and a good twist of freshly ground black pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Continue to simmer and add the beef stock - stirring all the time for a further 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add the beef mixture to the onions.
- Mix them together thoroughly & then add the mashed potatoes - mix again well.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C, 425F or gas mark 7.
- Grease 6 x 5" pie tins OR 1 x 9" ovenproof pie plate.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a board and roll out the ready-made puff pastry.
- Taking a saucer or a large cookie cutter, cut out six x bottoms for the pie tins, just slightly larger than the tins. (Invert the pie plate & cut around it for a plate pie.).
- Put the pastry bottoms into the buttered tins (or on to the buttered plate) and fill generously with the beef and potato pie filling.
- Cut out the lid/s and moisten the edges of the bottom pastry case with water; then place the lid/s on top - making sure they reach right up to the edge.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry with a fork or your fingers to make a seal.
- Cut two slits on top of the pies with a knife or scissors.
- Glaze with the beaten egg (or milk) and sprinkle some sea salt.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25- 30 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold with pickles, chutneys and assorted salads.
- Ideal for picnics, snacks, light lunches & brunch.
- To freeze them, pack them with greaseproof paper between each pie in a freezer container. Defrost for at least 6 hours. Can be frozen before the final baking or after being baked. To cook when unbaked, defrost them & then follow the directions above.
BEEF POT PIE III
- In a saucepan over medium heat, brown the pieces of meat on all sides. Pour in some water to almost cover. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until meat is tender and falls apart easily; about 2 to 3 hours. Transfer meat to a large mixing bowl. Shred the meat slightly and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In another 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, pour in beef broth and add carrots and potatoes. Cook until almost tender; about 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- When the carrots and potatoes are done, transfer to the large mixing bowl with the beef; leaving the liquid in the pan. Combine the peas with the carrots, potatoes and beef.
- Dissolve the cornstarch with the 1/3 cup of water. Pour into the saucepan of beef broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat; cook for 5 minutes.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crust following the package directions. Place the beef mixture into the pie crust. Pour the gravy over the top of the mixture, then cover with the other pie crust. Bake in a preheated oven until the crust is golden brown; about 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 526.6 calories, Carbohydrate 58.3 g, Cholesterol 32.6 mg, Fat 23.6 g, Fiber 4.4 g, Protein 19.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.6 g, Sodium 661.1 mg, Sugar 4.4 g
TRADITIONAL BEEF POTPIE
This is one of my family's favorite dishes. Nothing is as satisfying as a hearty slice of this mouthwatering potpie.-Beth Armstrong, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 23
- In a bowl, combine flour, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme; cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water just until moistened. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate. , Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil. Add mushrooms; saute for 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth, salt, thyme, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. , Add potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Reduce heat; keep warm. , Roll two-thirds of the dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Roll remaining pastry into a 6-in. circle; cut into six wedges. , Spoon beef mixture into crust. Place pastry wedges on top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 558 calories, Fat 26g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 77mg cholesterol, Sodium 897mg sodium, Carbohydrate 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 35g protein.
ENGLISH BEEF STEAK PIE
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a deep glass baking dish (either round or square, Corning or glass), layer meat, potato and onion, sprinkling flour over each layer.
- Salt and pepper each layer. Pour water slowly over layers and top with rolled out crust. Roll edges of crust under around the edge and flute to seal edges to pan. Vent with knife several times.
- Bake at 350° F for about one hour until water bubbles and gravy have formed. Pierce with a cake tester through vents for doneness of potatoes.
More about "english beef pot pie recipes"
10 BEST ENGLISH MEAT PIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
DELICIOUS BRITISH PIE RECIPES SWEET AND SAVOURY - THE …
ENGLISH PASTIES - INDIVIDUAL BEEF POT PIES | RECIPE
BEEF PIE RECIPES - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
INDIVIDUAL ENGLISH BEEF POT PIES WITH PUFF PASTRY
BEEF POT PIE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
EASY BEEF POT PIE - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
CROCK POT ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE WITH BISCUIT TOPPING …
BEST STEAK POT PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE STEAK POT PIE
AWESOME ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
3.8/5 (111)Total Time 8 hrsServings 12Calories 290 per serving
BEEF POT PIE | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE – THE BEST FREE COOKING RECIPES
RECIPE FOR ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE - ONLINE RECIPES FROM HINDS JERSEY …
EASY BEEF POT PIE - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
A VERY ENGLISH CHICKEN POTPIE
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
RECIPES > BEEF > HOW TO MAKE ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE
MOM'S BEEF POT PIE | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
10 BEST BEEF POT PIE WITH BISQUICK RECIPES | YUMMLY
COTTAGE PIE RECIPE (BRITISH, WITH GROUND BEEF) | KITCHN
INDIVIDUAL ENGLISH MEAT PIE RECIPES : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
BEEF POT PIE – GOOD DINNER MOM
21 ENGLISH MEAT PIE RECIPE GROUND BEEF - SELECTED RECIPES
21 EASY BEEF POT PIE RECIPE - SELECTED RECIPES
10 TYPES OF BRITISH PIES - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
BEEF POT PIE WITH CHEDDAR BISCUITS - THE SEASONED MOM
ENGLISH BEEF PIE - ALEX BECKER MARKETING
BEEF POT PIE RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE - RECIPE - COOKS.COM
INDIVIDUAL ENGLISH BEEF POT PIES WITH PUFF PASTRY | RECIPE | BEEF POT ...
ENGLISH BEEF PIE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
ENGLISH BEEF PIE : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE - BIGOVEN.COM
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE – RECIPES FOR THE COOK
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
POT PIE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
BRITISH STEAK AND ALE PIE - CULINARY GINGER
BEEF POT PIE | TAKES UNDER 1 HOUR TO MAKE WITH PUFF PASTRY CRUST
BEEF POT PIES - JO COOKS
ENGLISH BEEF POT PIE - COMPLETERECIPES.COM
TRADITIONAL BRITISH MEAT AND POTATO PIE WITH SUET PASTRY
10 MOST POPULAR BRITISH PIES - TASTEATLAS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a pot pie out of beef stew?Make one giant pot pie instead of individual pies. You can pour the entire beef stew mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. You only need one box of puff pastry--slightly overlap the edges of two side-by-side pastry sheets and press the seam with your fingers to seal them together.
What is a pot pie made of?This recipe is basically a thickened beef stew with puff pastry crust on top. I used the convenience of frozen puff pastry, peas, carrots, and pearl onions in my recipe. The result is a relatively easy pot pie recipe.
How do you cook a beef pie with gravy?Place the beef mixture into the pie crust. Pour the gravy over the top of the mixture, then cover with the other pie crust. Bake in a preheated oven until the crust is golden brown; about 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. See how to make a simple pot pie with beef and all the veggies.
Can you cook steak in a pot pie?This Steak Pot Pie switches things up from the traditional Chicken Pot Pie and the crescent dough topping is perfectly flaky with zero work on your part. Don't cook your steak to far on the stove as it will continue to cook in the oven. The pot pie filling will help keep it nice and tender.