FRENCH ONION SOUP GRATINEE
About as good as it gets! This is the version of French Onion Soup that people seek when they go to restaurants. I have been making it for 30 years and it never fails to please. It makes an exquisite presentation, too!
Provided by Jersey Tomato
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.
- Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.
- Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.
- Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 617.8 calories, Carbohydrate 39.5 g, Cholesterol 113.9 mg, Fat 35.9 g, Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 29.7 g, SaturatedFat 20.8 g, Sodium 3335.7 mg, Sugar 10.6 g
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN
There may be no better companion on a cold winter day thanthis comforting soup. The flavor depends on rich beef stock, so try making your own, or use best-quality store-bought stock. Recipe and image reprinted with permission from "Tartine Bread," by Chad Robertson, with photographs by Eric Wolfinger.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oil in a skillet over mediumheat. Cook onions untilsoft and translucent, about 8 minutes.Reduce heat to low. Addthyme, and cook, stirring occasionally,until onions are deepgolden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler with rack about6 inches from heat source.Bring beef stock to a boil. Addcarrots and turnips. Reduceheat, and simmer, covered, untilvegetables are almost tender,about 5 minutes.
- Divide vegetables evenlyamong 4 ovenproof bowls usinga slotted spoon. Divide onionsamong bowls. Add 1 bay leaf toeach. Set bowls on a rimmedbaking sheet. Divide hot stockamong bowls.
- Top each with 1 slice of bread,then 2 slices of cheese. Broiluntil cheese is golden and bubbling,about 5 minutes. Transferto 4 serving bowls if desired.
ONION SOUP GRATINEE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 2 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Make the soup: In a large saucepan cook the onions in the butter and oil with sugar, salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the stock, wine, cheesecloth bag and salt and pepper to taste and cook, partially covered, skimming occasionally, 30 minutes. Season with minced onion and Cognac.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange slices of bread on baking sheet, brush both sides with melted butter and bake, turning once, for 15 minutes, or until golden. Rub with garlic.
- Transfer soup to ovenproof bowls and cover with bread slices. Sprinkle with cheeses and drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes, or until soup is simmering and cheese has melted. Run under a preheat broiler until cheese is golden.
- Recommended Wine: 1995 Beaujolais Nouveau
ONION SOUP GRATIN
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the leeks, onions and shallots and toss to coat with the butter. Cook onions until they begin to soften. Cover and continue to stir occasionally. When the onions begin to turn golden, turn up the heat to medium high and add the pinch of sugar and nutmeg. Continue to cook until onions turn a rich golden brown. Season onions with salt and pepper. Add red wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Pour in warm stock and bring to a simmer. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls and place bowls on baking sheet. Top each bowl with slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
THREE ONION SOUP GRATINEE
DH was out of town on a business trip and came home raving about this soup. This soup is a wonderful combination of sweet onions (Vidalia work well when in season.), red onions and yellow onions. I was able to find this recipe posted on another web page. Hope you enjoy!
Provided by PaulaG
Categories Clear Soup
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large soup pot, melt butter oven medium-low heat.
- Add all the onions along with 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Saute until onions turn a nice golden brown or caramelize, about 25 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan.
- When onions are brown, add the flour and stir until it disappears.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add both stocks and the thyme.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and cook until soup is slightly thickened and is a medium-brown in color.
- This should take about 1-hour, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary for personal taste.
- Preheat the broiler and ladle soup into broiler-proof bowls.
- Place 1 slice of toast in each bowl and top with the cheese.
- Heat under the broiler about 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
FRENCH ONION SOUP GRATINÉE
With caramelized onions combined with cheese, herbs and wine, this soup is an elegant dish you can enjoy as an appetizer or even as a main course. VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Ebz4d_pZA
Provided by CLUBFOODY
Categories < 60 Mins
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and add oil. Add onions, garlic and sea salt; sauté for 2 minutes. Add pepper, stir, reduce heat to medium and cover; cook for 8 minutes, stirring every couple minutes. Remove lid, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour Marsala wine and continue stirring; cook until wine has almost evaporated. Pour beef broth and vegetable broth; bring to a simmer. Add thyme, garlic salt and bay leaf; cook for 15 minutes. When ready to serve, remove thyme and bay leaf.
- Preheat broiler and place rack on second row from the top. Place bread (cut slices to fit your bowl) on a baking sheet and toast. Remove from the heat, flip over and return to oven. When almost done, sprinkle cheese on two slices. Return to oven and cook until melted.
- Place each toast with cheese at the bottom of the soup bowl. Ladle beef broth over and then place toast on top. Place two slices per bowl, sprinkle the remaining cheese over and transfer bowls under the broiler. Cook until cheese is melted and browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Note: For a non-alcohol version, use sherry vinegar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 782.6, Fat 39.3, SaturatedFat 20.8, Cholesterol 80.4, Sodium 1017.3, Carbohydrate 62.3, Fiber 7, Sugar 17.4, Protein 15.2
A simple and delicious way to use onions as a vegetable, one that long ago became part of the Middle American repertoire but has sadly dropped out. Time for a revival? This dish is unquestionably best with small onions-pearl onions-or with cipollini, the squat Italian variety, or the very fresh spring onions, usually sold only at that time of year and looking like scallions on steroids. It will work almost as well with leeks, which should be trimmed first, then parboiled for 2 or 3 minutes. If you must use larger onions, parboil for a good 10 minutes before peeling and baking. Convert this to a gorgeous spring gratin by adding a handful each of fresh wild mushrooms, like morels, and fresh peas to the mix. Other vegetables you can prepare this way: shallots, treated exactly as you would pearl onions.
Yield makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drop the onions into the water and leave them there for a minute. Peel them, then put them in a buttered ovenproof dish large enough to hold them in one layer. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg, then pour the cream over all. Bake until the top is brown and the onions are soft, about 30 minutes.
CARROTS AND ONIONS AU GRATIN
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place carrots and onions in a pot with enough lightly salted water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, and spread 1/2 the carrots and onions in a baking dish. Cover with 3/4 cup cheese, layer with remaining carrots and onions, and top with remaining cheese.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and mix in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk until thickened, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the carrots, onions, and cheese in the baking dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small pot, and mix in bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly in the baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 225.4 calories, Carbohydrate 21.5 g, Cholesterol 33.8 mg, Fat 12.2 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 7.9 g, SaturatedFat 7.4 g, Sodium 436.4 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
MUSHROOM SOUP GRATINéE
This hearty soup takes its cue from the classic soupe à l'oignon gratinée. I swapped out the onions for mushrooms and served the hearty soup paved with a layer of toast and cheese as a cold-weather first course. For an informal supper, it could be the main event, especially with additions like potatoes or other root vegetables, shredded cabbage, cooked lentils, buckwheat pasta or even chunks of duck confit, sausage or boneless short ribs or veal shank. As for the finishing glaze of cheese, I suggest Gruyère, though the Bitto of the region, a firm cow's milk cheese made with a funky touch of goat milk, would be lovely if you can find it.
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Categories dinner, lunch, weekday, soups and stews
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add minced mushrooms and sauté on low until they glisten with moisture, about 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 cup and set aside. Add onion and garlic to pan and cook, stirring, until the onion wilts. Add shiitakes and a dusting of salt, increase heat to medium and sauté, stirring, until mushrooms have softened, 5 minutes or so. Stir in stock and wine, bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Place miso in a dish and dissolve in a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then stir back into the pan. Add pepper to taste, cloves and ginger. Simmer, partly covered, about 30 minutes. Check consistency, adding a little water if needed. Adjust salt and pepper. Soup can be finished and served at once, or set aside, then reheated and finished.
- To serve, heat broiler. Transfer soup to a 3-quart ovenproof dish or casserole. Toast bread. Spread reserved minced mushrooms on each slice and cover with cheese. Float slices on top of soup. Place dish under the broiler long enough to melt and lightly brown the cheese, then bring to the table and serve into bowls. Alternatively, the soup can be divided into individual oven-proof bowls, each topped with toast, mushrooms and cheese, and broiled.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 669, UnsaturatedFat 11 grams, Carbohydrate 89 grams, Fat 20 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 29 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 1424 milligrams, Sugar 12 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "hearty onion soup gratin recipes"
ONION SOUP GRATINé RECIPE BY - THE DAILY MEAL
ONION SOUP GRATINé RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ONION SOUP AU GRATIN - LANDANA CHEESE
FRENCH ONION SOUP AU GRATIN STUFFED BURGERS
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
THE BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP GRATINéE ANDREA REISER
FRENCH ONION SOUP AU GRATIN - MONTREALMOM.COM
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN - SOUPES RECIPES
FRENCH ONION SOUP AU GRATIN - NINJA TEST KITCHEN
ONION GRATIN SOUP – NORTHRICHLANDHILLSDENTISTRY
ONION GRATIN: THE RECIPE FOR A TASTY AND SUPER-FAST SIDE DISH
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN | MELBA MARTIN | COPY ME THAT
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART - MASTERCOOK
HEARTY ONION SOUP - MORE THAN GOURMET
FRENCH ONION SOUP AU GRATIN - HARD CORE CLASSIC - BITE
RECIPE HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN - YOUTUBE
ONION SOUP GRATINEE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
MAKE-AHEAD POTATO-ONION GRATIN RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
10 BEST WILD ONION SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
4 GREAT ONION GRATIN SOUP FOR CHRISTMAS | HEALTHY RECIPES IN MINUTE
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN - TAG ARCHIVE - PUTTING IT ALL ON THE TABLE
ONION SOUP AU GRATIN – GAB'S FIRST COOKBOOK
CLASSIC FRENCH ONION SOUP, SOUPE A L’OIGNON GRATINEE
LE CHEF'S FRENCH ONION SOUP GRATINéE - LE CHEF'S WIFE
FRENCH ONION SOUP RECIPE, RECIPES, FOOD - PINTEREST
HEARTY FRENCH ONION SOUP CASSEROLE - SCRAMBLED CHEFS
FRENCH ONION STUFFED MEATBALLS - CUPCAKES & KALE CHIPS
ONION SOUP AU GRATIN - HOME GOODNESS
QUICK AND EASY ONION GRATIN SOUP FOR CHRISTMAS | HEALTHY RECIPES …
HEARTY ONION SOUP GRATIN RECIPE | RECIPE | HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES, …
10 BEST ONION SOUP LEFTOVERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook French onion soup au gratin?French Onion Soup Au Gratin. A classic French onion soup is not complete without its crown of bread and gratineed cheese. This method has the onions slow-cook in the oven, which, while time intensive, requires little effort. The onions cook throughout the afternoon, and an hour before dinner the soup is ready to finish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
What is the best way to cook onion soup?Our Hearty Beef Onion Soup recipe is simple and delicious. Using grilling steak, Swiss cheese and croutons, this dish will warm you up on a cold night! Cook onions until browning begins,in 1 tbsp (15 mL) heated oil,in large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven at medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low.
How do you cook au gratin in a crock pot?French Onion Soup Au Gratin. After 2 hours, remove pot from oven and transfer to stovetop. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until liquid evaporates and onions turn brown, stirring and scraping up any browned bits on bottom and sides of pot, about 20 minutes. Continue cooking to allow a crust to form on the bottom of the pan without burning,...
How to cook onions in a crock pot?Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Halve, peel, and slice the onions thinly, then add them to the pot and stir. Add the brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, until the onions become a deep golden brown.