INDIAN EGGPLANT (BHARTA)
Serve with cooked rice or even better, warmed naan or other flatbread for scooping. This Indian vegetarian eggplant recipe doubles easily if you're serving a crowd or just love leftovers.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Roast eggplant directly on a gas burner or under a broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over and very soft, about 12 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Scoop out flesh and discard skin. You should have about 2 1/2 cups eggplant.
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic together in a food processor to form a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add butter and melt. Add cumin; when it sizzles, stir in onion paste, and chiles. Cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 3 minutes. If onion is sticking to pan, stir in 3 tablespoons water and scrape up browned bits, then stir in tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes are broken down, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add turmeric and stir to combine, then add eggplant, stirring until heated through.
BAINGAN BHARTA (EGGPLANT CURRY)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place eggplant on a medium baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel, and chop.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, curry powder, and tomato into the saucepan, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in yogurt. Mix in eggplant and jalapeno pepper, and season with salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes over high heat. Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 146.1 calories, Carbohydrate 15.2 g, Cholesterol 1.8 mg, Fat 8 g, Fiber 6.2 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 1.5 g, Sodium 739.4 mg, Sugar 7.5 g
BAINGAN BHARTA (EGGPLANT BHARTA)
Indian baingan bharta made with grilled eggplants, spices, onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves. This super flavorful dish is easy and is great to serve as a side dish. It goes well with roti, rice or even with bread.
Provided by Swasthi
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Rinse eggplants well under running water and wipe dry with a kitchen tissue. Make 4 slits on the brinjal and push 4 garlic cloves deep inside 2 slits. Also push 2 slit green chilies in the other 2 slits. Brush them with oil.
- On Direct Fire: With the help of a tong, place it on direct fire. You can do it either on the red hot coal or stovetop. Keep turning it to all the other sides and grill until it is done completely roasted. It takes about 12 to 14 mins.
- To grill in oven: Line a metal tray with foil. Cut each eggplant to 2 parts and place them on the tray with the skin side on top. You can also place the tomatoes in the same tray. Broil/Grill them at 460 F or 240 C for 16 to 18 mins.
- In air fryer: Place baingan, chilies, garlic and tomatoes in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 400 F or 200 C. It takes roughly about 22 mins for the whole eggplant, 16 mins if you halve the eggplant & air fry.
- Once done, check by inserting a fork into the eggplant. It should go in smoothly & easily meaning it is soft and cooked well. (Check step-by-step photos above)
- Cool the eggplant and peel the skin. Optionally - Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and cover it for 5 mins. Once done remove the skin.
- Mash or chop the eggplant, grilled garlic and green chilies. Keep these aside. Chop the tomatoes, onions and raw garlic as well.
- Pour oil to a hot pan. When the oil turns hot, add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute for 30 to 60 seconds until aromatic.
- Then add chopped onions and saute until they turn light golden.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Cook until they become soft. Then add red chili powder and cook for a few minutes until the raw smell from the tomatoes goes away.
- Then mashed eggplants, garlic and green chilies. (You may want to save half of the green chilies for later after taste testing)
- Mix everything and mash it a bit to blend well. Then add garam masala and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on a medium heat.
- Taste test and add more salt and green chilli. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve baingan bharta with roti, rice or naan.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 243 kcal, Carbohydrate 30 g, Protein 5 g, Fat 14 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 973 mg, Fiber 11 g, Sugar 15 g, ServingSize 1 serving
This satisfying vegetarian dish is adapted from a recipe belonging to Julie Sahni, the popular Indian chef, cookbook author and teacher. Its preparation is very similar to baba ghanoush in that you roast and mash the eggplant before seasoning it with aromatics, herbs and spices, but its flavor profile is wildly different. Here, turmeric, garam masala and jalapeño add warmth, while the addition of lime juice provides brightness. Serve it as a dip with flatbread (like pita or store-bought roti), or as a main dish with rice and raita.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, easy, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Prick the eggplant with a thin-blade knife. Grill over or next to very high heat, turning as necessary until the skin is blackened and the eggplant collapses. Or broil, or roast on a heated cast-iron pan in the hottest possible oven. It will take about 20 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel (this will be easy) and trim away the hard stem. Chop or mash in a bowl, with lime juice.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and chiles and cook for another minute. Add the tomato, turmeric and salt. Cook until the tomato is soft, 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the eggplant purée and cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and garam masala and turn off the heat. Serve hot with warm chapati bread or pita, or over rice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 176, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 23 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 484 milligrams, Sugar 12 grams, TransFat 0 grams
INDIAN EGGPLANT - BHURTHA
- Preheat the oven's broiler. Rub oil on the outside of the egg plant, or coat with cooking spray. Place under the broiler, and cook until the flesh is soft and the skin is blistering off, about 30 minutes. Turn as needed for even cooking. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, and scoop the flesh out of the skin. Discard the skin; chop up the flesh, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, and let them crackle for a few seconds and turn golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. Add the onion, ginger and garlic; cook and stir until tender. I don't let the onions get very brown. Stir in the tomato, and season with turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
- Place the eggplant pieces in the skillet, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes so some of the moisture evaporates. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119.5 calories, Carbohydrate 13.4 g, Fat 7.4 g, Fiber 6.1 g, Protein 2.4 g, SaturatedFat 1.2 g, Sodium 299.5 mg, Sugar 5.6 g
BENGAN BHARTA INDIAN EGGPLANT
I love bengan bharta, and the recipe is below. Sweet, smokey, spicy....yum! I was short the requested spices once and substituted all but garlic for: equal parts of garam masala spice mix, berbere spice mix, and hot curry spice mix, to total 1.5 tablespoons.
Provided by djunqx
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- First, roast the eggplant. Put the oven at 450 degrees. Pierce the eggplants with a fork about ten times each. Cover lightly in oil and a pinch of salt. Roast for 30 min to an hour- however long it takes for the skin to wrinkle but not burn, and make crackling sounds as it bakes.
- Allow eggplant to cool enough to handle. Remove the outer skin and either mash completely, or use one of those dicer machines and dice fine.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the vegetable oil, put in the cumin/mustard seeds and asefoitida, or if using my weird mix mentioned in the description, do not add the spice yet.
- Either way, add the onion'/garlic and saute until golden. If using my spice mix, add to diced tomatoes and ketchup and mix in a cup.
- Add tomato spice mix and cook 2 min on medium-low.
- Add chopped/mashed eggplant and a teaspoon of water IF needed (you want a thick sauce). Add green onions and 1/2 the cilantro.
- Cook on medium low for 10 min, stir occasionally.
- Taste, and if needed, cook on low an additional 5 - 10 minutes, stirring and adding water if needed.
- Add remaining cilantro and if desired, about 1/8 tsp lemon juice to brighten the flavor.
- Serve over basmati rice or with naan bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 92.1, Fat 2.4, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 198.7, Carbohydrate 17.9, Fiber 8.7, Sugar 7.7, Protein 3.1
BAINGAN BHARTA- INDIAN STYLE FIRE ROASTED EGGPLANTS
Baingan Bharta is a favorite North Indian curry made by first roasting the eggplants until very soft. The flesh is scraped from the skin and cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh and dried coriander, turmeric, and other spices until thickened and richly flavored.
Provided by udita
Yield 4 cups, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Prick eggplants and roast them over open flame or in a tandoor/preheated oven until the skin scorches and starts peeling off.
- The sure shot way to check if the eggplants are done is to pierce them with the back of a spoon, if it enters the brinjal like soft butter then they are done.
- When at room temperature remove the skin and mash the pulp.
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and green chilli.
- Heat oil(preferably mustard oil) in a kadahi(wok) and add chopped onions. Sauté until they are pink. Do not brown them.Then add chopped ginger, garlic, chopped green chilli and stir.
- After about 1/2 a minute add the tomatoes and the salt(adding salt with the tomatoes softens the tomatoes faster and thus makes cooking easier)When the tomatoes are done(oil seperates from them)add all the powders except for the garam masala powder and cook for another 1/2 a minute.
- Now add the mashed brinjals. After this point not much cooking is required. Cook for about 1/2 to 1 minute and finally add the garam masala and chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve immediately with roti, paraatha, naan, pitta bread, or even on a toast! We love it on a crunchy toast - irresistable, I tell you!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 151.8, Fat 7.5, SaturatedFat 1.2, Sodium 599.4, Carbohydrate 21.2, Fiber 7, Sugar 9.2, Protein 3.4
More about "indian eggplant bharta recipes"
SPICY ROASTED INDIAN EGGPLANT (BHARTHA) RECIPE
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Healthy Turmeric RecipesCalories 246 per serving
- Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Place on the prepared pan and roast, turning once or twice, until soft, 55 to 65 minutes. Cut open and let cool. Scrape the flesh onto a cutting board and chop. Discard the skin.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and starting to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño; cook until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, salt, coriander, turmeric and crushed red pepper; then add tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes start to break down, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chopped eggplant, cilantro, lemon juice and garam masala. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
EASY BAINGAN BHARTA (FIRE ROASTED EGGPLANT MASH)
BAINGAN BHARTA (INDIAN EGGPLANT) | DESI~LICIOUS RD
BAINGAN BHARTA RECIPE + VIDEO (INDIAN STYLE ROASTED …
BAINGAN BHARTA - ROASTED EGGPLANT MASH - COOK WITH …
INDIAN EGGPLANT BHARTA RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
BAINGAN BHARTA - INDIAN STYLE MASHED EGGPLANTS
BAINGAN BHARTA | BAINGAN KA BHARTA RECIPE | EGGPLANT BHARTA
BAINGAN BHARTA RECIPE - NORTH INDIAN BRINJAL SABZI …
PUNJABI EGGPLANT (BAINGAN BHARTA) RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BAIGAN BHARTA - OVEN ROASTED EGGPLANT RECIPE
BHARWA BAINGAN | EGGPLANT CURRY - SWASTHI'S RECIPES
EGGPLANT BHARTA RECIPE WITH INDIAN DOSAS - FOOD …
BAINGAN BHARTA- ROASTED EGGPLANT BHARTA | COOK CLICK …
BAINGAN BHARTA - INDIAN STYLE DELICIOUS ROASTED EGGPLANT
LOW CARB INDIAN ROASTED EGGPLANT MASH - RECIPE - DIET DOCTOR
HOW TO COOK INDIAN EGGPLANT RECIPES | DEPORECIPE.CO
EASY BAINGAN BHARTA (OVEN ROASTED/BROILED EGGPLANT CURRY)
17 BEST INDIAN EGGPLANT RECIPES WE ADORE - INSANELY GOOD
BAINGAN BHARTA - SPICY, SMOKY, ROASTED EGGPLANT CURRY. - HEALTHY …
BAINGAN BHARTA (SPICY INDIAN EGGPLANT) - COOKING AT THE COTTAGE
BAINGAN KA BHARTA (INDIAN EGGPLANT) | MY HEART BEETS
BAINGAN BHARTA – INDIAN EGGPLANT AND TOMATO DISH
BAINGAN BHARTA (EGGPLANT) - MANJULA'S KITCHEN - INDIAN VEGETARIAN …
ROASTED EGGPLANT BHARTA - SPICEITUPP
INDIAN SPICED EGGPLANT (BAINGAN BHARTA) WITH CHICKPEAS AND RAISINS
21 BRINJAL RECIPES SOUTH INDIAN - SELECTED RECIPES
BAINGAN BHARTA RECIPE - AIR FRYER OR OVEN - PROFUSION CURRY
LAUKI KA BHARTA RECIPE | DOODHI BHARTA | BURNT SPICED BOTTLE …
BAINGAN BHARTA | INDIAN ROASTED EGGPLANT CURRY
SMOKY BAINGAN BHARTA ROASTED MASHED EGGPLANT RECIPE
BAINGAN BHARTA (SMOKY EGGPLANT MASH) - UPBEET ANISHA
BAINGAN BHARTA (SMOKY EGGPLANT MASH) - GOOD OLD VEGAN
BAINGAN BHARTA/ROASTED EGGPLANT (SOUTH INDIAN STYLE)
VEGAN BAINGAN BHARTA (ROASTED EGGPLANT) RECIPE - SOUPER CUBES®
BAINGAN BHARTA (SPICY MASHED EGGPLANT) - MY DAINTY KITCHEN
BAINGAN BHARTA RECIPE (MASHED FIRE ROASTED EGGPLANT)
BAINGAN BHARTA (SPICY INDIAN EGGPLANT) — RECIPE BOX
BAINGAN BHARTA - ROASTED RED PEPPER AND EGGPLANT RECIPE
BAINGAN KA BHARTA OR EGGPLANT BHARTA IN OVEN - NOT A CURRY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook Eggplant bharta?The roasted garlic adds a lot of flavor. I go heavy on the garlic in my baingan bharta, use it while roasting the eggplant and also in my masala. Once the eggplant is roasted, you mash it up and then cook it with ginger, onion, tomatoes and some spices.
What is baingan ka bharta (Indian eggplant)?Baingan ka Bharta (Indian Eggplant) Baingan ka Bharta is a smoky Indian eggplant dish that’s full of flavor and surprisingly easy to make at home! If you like eggplants and Indian food, this recipe is definitely for you.
How do you make eggplant masala?Peel and mash when cool. Heat oil in a skillet or fry pan and fry the onions until reddish brown. Add cumin and garlic. Add tomatoes, turmeric and chilli powders and salt. Saute on medium until the tomatoes soften and the masala is cooked through. Add the eggplant mash to the masala and stir fry for a few minutes.
What is the best way to make Banigan Bharta?The most important thing to get that real taste of punjabi banigan bharta is to roast your eggplant on direct gas/flame. I know people roast the eggplant using microwave and oven too but for me the smoky aroma and flavor is what MAKES this dish so you have to fire roast the eggplant.