This is a Greek recipe from a Mediterranean cookbook, using marinated lamb steaks or chops that are slow-cooked for an unbeatable, tender flavor. The dish is sealed like a pie, with a flour dough lid to trap in the flavor, but a tight fitting foil cover will work, too. Prep time includes time for marinating.
Provided by east coast nellie
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Mix together the lemon juice, oregano and salt and pepper and brush over both sides of the lamb.
- Leave to marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Drain the lamb, reserving marinade, and dry lamb with paper towel.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and cook lamb over high heat just until browned on both sides.
- Transfer the lamb to a shallow pie dish.
- Scatter the sliced onions and bay leaves around the lamb, then pour the white wine and the reserved marinade on top.
- Mix the flour with sufficient water to make a firm dough.
- Moisten the rim of the pie dish.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use to cover the dish so that it is tightly sealed.
- Bake for 2 hours, then break away the crust and serve the lamb hot.
- Potatoes make a great accompaniment.
KLEFTIKO-STYLE LAMB SHANKS
Make these Greek-style lamb shanks for a one-pot dinner that's sure to please - and without too much washing-up. Lemon, herbs and feta mean it's full of flavour
Provided by Tom Kerridge
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Put the lamb shanks in a large bowl with the garlic, rosemary, thyme, dried oregano, cinnamon, bay leaves, lemon juice (drop in the juiced halves as well), and olive oil. Season well, then toss everything together. If you have time, chill overnight.
- Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/ gas 5. Tip the potatoes and peppers into a large roasting tin, then pour over the wine. Remove the lamb from the marinade and set aside, then pour the leftover marinade over the veg. Toss to combine, then arrange the lamb on top of the veg. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hrs 30 mins. Remove the lamb from the tin, turn all the veg over, then turn the lamb over and return to the tin on top of the veg. Drizzle over a little more oil, if the tin seems dry. Bake for 30 mins more, uncovered, until the lamb is falling off the bone and the potatoes are golden around the edges. Leave to rest for 5 mins, then scatter over the feta and fresh oregano, if using.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 737 calories, Fat 30 grams fat, SaturatedFat 10 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 52 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 57 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
ARNI KLEFTIKO (REBEL LAMB)
The verb 'klevo' in Greek means 'to steal'. This delicious lamb dish is called 'kleftiko' because, it is said, that when Greeks were fighting to liberate themselves from Ottoman Rule and hiding in the mountains, they would seal all the ingredients for this dish in a clay pot, bury it with hot coals under ground, cover with dirt, and allow it to braise, slowly, until done. This way, there were no delicious cooking smells in the air to betray their presence and bring the Ottomans to their hide-out. A romantic story - a lovely dinner. Don't forget some good red wine. Many, for lack of a clay pot (like a bean pot) wrap their kleftiko up well in parchment (a couple of layers) and braise that way.
Provided by evelynathens
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together and toss well with scrupulously clean hands until everything is well-coated. Season generously with pepper, but go a little easier on the salt than you normally would cause the cheese will also lend its salt to the finished dish.
- If you have a large clay pot, like a bean pot, assemble the ingredients there, cover with lid, and proceed with recipe. If not, cut 6 large sheets of parchment, distribute the kleftiko mixture evenly amongst the 6 sheets, and wrap up envelope-style. You may need to double-wrap cause you don't want any of the lovely juices this recipe emits to get lost in drainage while braising. A large, covered casserole would work well, too. Basically what you want to do is have as little liquid escape during cooking as possible.
- Braise, in the oven, for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. You want the meat to be falling off the bone. Yes, the potatoes and carrot will be very soft and tender, but will be permeated with a deep-rich flavour. Do not judge this dish by the cooking standards you are used to - remember its origins - the conditions these people lived under -- this is gourmet food created during a time of rebellion and should be enjoyed under its own standard.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 461.4, Fat 18.5, SaturatedFat 2.6, Sodium 37.3, Carbohydrate 58.9, Fiber 8.1, Sugar 6.6, Protein 7.1
Seal a leg of lamb in a parcel then roast it long and slow with garlic, lemon, herbs and potatoes to soak up the delicious juices
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Main course
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Crush together the garlic cloves and 1 tsp salt using a pestle and mortar. Add the herbs, lemon zest, cinnamon, some black pepper, crush a little more, then stir through 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Using a sharp knife, create lots of holes all over the lamb, and rub in the paste, pushing it deep into the holes. Transfer the lamb to a large food bag, pour in the lemon juice and marinate overnight.
- The next day, take the lamb out of the fridge 1 hr before you want to cook it. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Lay 2 long pieces of baking parchment on top of 2 long pieces of foil - one widthways, the other lengthways to form a cross. Pop the potatoes in the centre of the parchment and toss with the remaining oil and some seasoning. Bring up the sides of the foil, then pour the marinade from the lamb over the potatoes and throw in the bay leaves.
- Set the lamb on top of the potatoes and scrunch the foil together tightly to completely enclose the lamb. Lift into a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 4½ hrs until very tender.
- Remove tin from the oven and increase the temperature to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Unwrap the parcel and scrunch the foil and parchment under the rim of the tin, baste the lamb with the juices and return to the oven for a further 20 mins until browned. Remove the lamb from the tin, wrap in foil and rest.
- Turn the potatoes over and return to the oven for 30 mins, then season with salt. While the potatoes are cooking, stir together all the ingredients for the yogurt.
- Combine the red wine vinegar, oil and some seasoning to make a dressing for the salad. Toss together the remaining salad ingredients, adding the dressing when you're ready to eat. Serve the lamb with the potatoes and meaty juices, with the salad and yogurt on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 729 calories, Fat 41 grams fat, SaturatedFat 16 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 33 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 57 grams protein, Sodium 2.3 milligram of sodium
More about "kleftiko recipes"
GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE - THE DELICIOUS 'HIDDEN …
4.7/5 (3)Calories 916 per servingCategory Recipes
GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO (WITH VEGETABLES & FETA) - REAL GREEK …
3.6/5 (11)Category Main CourseCuisine GreekCalories 1481 per serving
TRADITIONAL GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
LAMB KLEFTIKO - EASY LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE
MOUTH-WATERING GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO - THE BALKAN FOODIE
PRESSURE-COOKER LAMB “KLEFTIKO” | AKIS PETRETZIKIS
LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE | BEEF + LAMB NEW ZEALAND
SLOW COOKED KLEFTIKO LAMB - PINCH OF NOM
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT KLEFTIKO | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
LAMB KLEFTIKO | CYPRUS ISLAND
GREEK SLOW COOKED LAMB! LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE - THEOCOOKS
THE PERFECT “KLEFTIKO” ! SLOW COOKED LAMB GREEK STYLE!
AKIS PETRETZIKIS’ TRADITIONAL GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE
LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE - JUST ABOUT CYPRUS
ARNI KLEFTIKO (REBEL LAMB) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
KLEFTIKO - LAMB RECIPE FROM CYPRUS - DELI-BERLIN
LAMB KLEFTIKO - HEART HEALTHY GREEK
LAMB KLEFTICO (KLEFTIKO) RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
RICK STEIN'S LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE | UK SLOW-COOKED SUNDAY ROAST
KLEFTIKO (OVEN-BAKED LAMB) RECIPE : SBS FOOD
KLEFTIKO: GREEK STYLE LAMB & POTATOES | MOORLANDS EATER
LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
KLEFTIKO - MEAT STEAK AND VEGETABLES, GREEK-STYLE - BYLENA.COM
ROASTED LEG OF LAMB (GREEK KLEFTIKO) - CANADIAN COOKING …
GREEK SLOW COOKED LAMB KLEFTIKO BY THEO MICHAELS - YOUTUBE
KLEFTIKO RECIPE - BBC FOOD
LAMB OR GOAT OFTON KLEFTIKO - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK HOSPITALITY
LAMB KLEFTIKO: GREEK LAMB COOKED IN PARCHMENT PAPER
LAMB KLEFTIKO - SUPERGOLDEN BAKES
SLOW COOKED LAMB SHANK RECIPE FOR LAMB KLEFTIKO
SLOW COOKER GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO - SLOW COOKER SUNDAYS
KLEFTIKO (GREEK SLOW ROASTED LAMB SHANKS) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CHICKEN KLEFTIKO- ALL SHE COOKS - SIMPLE FAMILY RECIPES
GRANDAD'S KLEFTICO | DONAL SKEHAN | EAT LIVE GO
LAMB KLEFTIKO (STOLEN LAMB BAKE) RECIPE - CHEF'S PENCIL
LAMB KLEFTIKO: A GREEK LAMB COOKED IN PARCHMENT PAPER RECIPE
GREEK LAMB (KLEFTIKO) WITH ROASTED VEGGIES | METRO
LAMB KLEFTIKO – ERECIPE
RECIPE: GREEK MEAT KLEFTIKO STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES
EASY SLOW COOKED GREEK LAMB (LAMB KLEFTIKO) - SCRUMMY LANE
TRADITIONAL GREEK LAMB KLEFTIKO RECIPE: AN EASY STEP-WISE GUIDE
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #main-dish #lamb-sheep #greek #oven #european #diabetic #dietary #meat #equipment
You'll also love