GREEK STUFFED ZUCCHINI (KOLOKITHAKIA YEMISTA AVGOLEMONO)
A delcious way to use up loads of large zucchini. I figure one medium to large zucchini per person, per serving, depending on appetite.
Provided by evelynathens
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cut zucchini into 1/2s or 1/3s, cored on one end (the other end is left intact) and remove filing carefully with corer so that a not-too-thick wall of zucchini remains to contain the filling, keep 1/2 the zucchini flesh removed from the coring, minced (not the shells- but the actual part of the zucchini that was removed, the other half makes a lovely omelette with a bit of parmesan for another meal!).
- You can prepare your zucchini from the previous day and keep, wrapped, in the refrigerator- this actually makes a lot less work on the day of preparation as it's the coring of the zucchini that takes up the most time.
- Mix the meats, onion, garlic, rice, parsley and zucchini in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff this mixture into the opening of the one end of each zucchini piece and make sure the filling goes all the way into the vegetable.
- Level opening neatly so that no filling comes out.
- Layer the filled zucchini pieces in a big pot and add enough boiling water to just cover.
- Put in the stock cubes and the butter and cover.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour (knife tip should slip into a piece easily), and take off heat.
- Carefully remove the zucchini pieces with a slotted spoon and place on a reheatable serving dish.
- Strain the cooking liquid left in the pot to remove any pieces of zucchini or grains of rice that may be floating around.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cornstarch and lemon juice (add the juice of 1 lemon at this point).
- Slowly ladle in (literally the thinnest of streams) your hot cooking liquid, whisking the eggs all the while so they don't curdle.
- Keep doing this till nearly all the cooking liquid has been used and then pour your egg mixture and any cooking liquid left back into the pot and heat on a low flame until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste, if it needs more lemon, add up to 1/2 more.
- This is what is called an'Avgolemono Sauce' (Egg-lemon Sauce)- it is delicious.
- When ready to serve, put 2-3 piping hot pieces of the stuffed zucchini on each plate and nap with the sauce.
- Serve with feta cheese on the side (you won't believe how good a nibble of feta tastes with each bite of this!), good, crusty bread (you want to get all the sauce), and wine.
ZUCCHINI BLOSSOM A LA FETA
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl. Place the bread crumbs on a dish. Insert a cube of feta cheese into each zucchini blossom. Dip the blossoms in the eggs, then dredge in the bread crumbs to lightly coat.
- Fry zucchini blossoms in the skillet until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 102.3 calories, Carbohydrate 9.3 g, Cholesterol 52.5 mg, Fat 5 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 4.8 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 244.1 mg, Sugar 1.3 g
KOLOKITHAKIA ME FETA (ZUCCHINI WITH FETA)
This is loosely like lasagne in as far as it is layered. Serve this with a salad for a lovely quick Greek meal. The time for draining the zucchini and the resting after it is baked is not in the prep time.
Provided by luvcookn
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/2" thick slices. Sprinkle with salt, place in a colander and let stand until water drains, approximately 2 hours.
- Rinse zucchini and squeeze dry with paper towels.
- Coat each zucchini slice with flour.
- Place a layer of zucchini in a 9" square greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan, mint and feta.
- Repeat layers of zucchini, cheeses and mint but save enough zucchini for a top layer.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over all.
- Top with a layer of zucchini.
- Pour oil over all.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Cool for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
More about "kolokithakia me feta zucchini with feta recipes"
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH FETA AND DILL - ONCE UPON A CHEF
Cuisine Greek, Middle EasternCategory AppetizersServings 12Calories 152 per serving
- Shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor fitted with the shredding disk. Transfer the zucchini to a fine mesh strainer and set over a bowl. Toss the zucchini with the salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wring all of the excess liquid out of the zucchini with your hands, then set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the dried zucchini, scallions, dill, feta, garlic and black pepper. Sprinkle the flour (or corn starch) and baking powder over mixture and stir until uniformly incorporated.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Drop 2-tablespoon sized portions into the pan, then use the back of a spoon to gently press the batter into 2-inch-wide fritters. Pan-fry until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate. Add a bit more oil to the pan if necessary, then repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm or room temperature with lemon wedges.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The cooked fritters can be frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat them on a cookie sheet in a 200°F oven until heated through.
CRISPY FRIED ZUCCHINI - COURGETTE FRITTERS RECIPE (GREEK ...
5/5 (645)Estimated Reading Time 5 minsCategory AppetizerTotal Time 30 mins
- To prepare this Greek fried zucchini recipe start by washing the zucchini. Remove the stalks and ends and slice in thin slices, approx. 0.5 cm or lengthwise. (For this fried zucchini recipe the skin is not removed, so make sure to wash it thoroughly).
- To prepare this batter fried zucchini recipe, start by preparing the batter for the fried zucchini. Pour the beer in a large bowl and add the flour (sifted) a little bit at a time whilst whisking, being careful not to get lumpy. The batter for coating the fried zucchini should be more liquid (not firm), so if it’s getting too firm, use less flour than this recipe calls for. Season with salt and pepper, cover the batter with some plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH TZATZIKI | HEALTHY DELICIOUS
Servings 4Total Time 45 minsEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Cut the zucchini in half down the center into half cylinders. With a small teaspoon or a grapefruit spoon, hollow out the zucchini skins by scooping out all the pulp, leaving about 1/8 inch of zucchini intact next to the skin. (Leave the bottoms intact so that you are left with a “zucchini cup” that can be stuffed on another night.)
- Transfer the pulp to the bowl of a food processor or high-performance blender and pulse a few times to chop finely. Place the finely chopped zucchini pulp into a colander and toss with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cover the zucchini with a plate and put a weight on top (such as a large can of tomatoes). Drain for 10 minutes, briefly rinse, then squeeze as much moisture as possible from the pulp.
- Whisk the flour, eggs, mint, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Gently fold the drained zucchini pulp and feta into the flour mixture. Stir until the mixture resembles a thick batter.
FETA STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS - I HEART KITCHEN
5/5 (4)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 4-6Total Time 55 mins See details »
10 BEST BAKED ZUCCHINI WITH FETA CHEESE RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
ZUCCHINI OMELET (AVGA ME KOLOKITHAKIA) RECIPE - KATE ...
Servings 6Total Time 1 hr
- Toss the zucchini with the salt in a colander set over a bowl and let drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze the excess water from the zucchini and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally until crisp-tender and browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Pour the egg mixture over the zucchini, tilting the pan so the eggs flow under and through the zucchini slices. Cook until the eggs begin to set, then reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and cook until the eggs are fully set, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully invert the omelet onto a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FETA STUFFED, FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS - REAL GREEK RECIPES
2.9/5 (28)Total Time 10 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 minsCalories 112 per serving
- In a small mixing bowl combine feta cheese, Greek yogurt, egg yolk and mint leaves. Season with a tiny bit of salt and ground pepper.
- In a very small bowl whisk together the egg white along with 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside. Add some flour in another mixing bowl and set aside.
BREAKFAST CASSEROLE WITH SPINACH AND FETA - SKINNYTASTE
4.7/5 (14)Calories 296 per servingCategory Breakfast, Brunch See details »
TRADITIONAL GREEK KOLOKITHOKEFTEDES (FRIED ZUCCHINI ...
4.9/5 (478)Total Time 35 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 175 per serving
- Use a grater to grate the zucchini and place them in a colander with some salt. Squeeze them with your hands to get rid of the excessive water. Leave them for 30 minutes and squeeze them again.
- Into a large bowl add all the other ingredients and mix well with your hands, until combined and the mixture is firm enough to make the balls. Add a little more flour if needed. In a pan add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat the oil into medium-high heat.
- Dip a tablespoon in some water and spoon out some of the mixture into the hot oil. Repeat this procedure until the surface off the pan is comfortably filled. You should dip the spoon in the water every time, so that the dough doesn’t stick on it.
- Fry the kolokithokeftedes for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely colored. Place them on paper towel, to absorb the extra oil.
KOLOKITHAKIA KEFTEDES- ZUCCHINI BALLS – THE SKINNY OPA
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs See details »
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS (KOLOKITHAKIA KEFTEDES) - RECIPE ...
4.3/5 (3)Category AppetizersCuisine GreekCalories 80 per serving See details »
KOLOKITHOPITA - GREEK ZUCCHINI PIE RECIPE - EATING EUROPEAN
5/5 (4)Total Time 2 hrsCategory Casserole, DinnerCalories 324 per serving See details »
STUFFED ZUCCHINI WITH TOMATO SAUCE
Servings 2Total Time 1 hr 40 mins See details »
FETA CHICKEN WITH ZUCCHINI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (4)Total Time 45 minsServings 4Calories 270 per serving See details »
OVEN OMELET WITH ZUCCHINI - HORIO
Servings 6Total Time 30 minsEstimated Reading Time 50 secs See details »
STUFFED ZUCCHINI (KOLOKITHAKIA GEMISTA) WITH AVGOLEMENO ...
Reviews 16Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
DILL AND FETA AND ZUCCHINI RECIPES (69) - SUPERCOOK
See details »
KOLOKITHAKIA ME FETA (ZUCCHINI WITH FETA) RECIPE
See details »
KOLOKITHAKIA ME FETA ZUCCHINI WITH FETA RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
See details »
KOLOKITHAKIA FETA ZUCCHINI WITH FETA RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
See details »
KOLOKITHAKIA ME FETA ZUCCHINI WITH FETA RECIPES
See details »
GOLDEN ZUCCHINI-FETA CAKES RECIPE - CHATELAINE.COM
See details »
ZUCCHINI AND BELL PEPPER AND FETA RECIPES RECIPES (495 ...
See details »
ZUCCHINI AND FETA APPETIZER RECIPES
See details »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make a zucchini and feta cake?WHISK 2 eggs with 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill in a medium bowl. Squeeze zucchini very well, discarding any liquid. Stir zucchini into egg mixture with 1/2 cup crumbled feta and 2 sliced green onions. Season with pepper.
How do you make feta stuffed zucchini boats?In a small skillet, melt the butter then add the onion and zucchini pulp. Cook the veggies for about 3 - 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the feta and breadcrumbs. Taste the stuffing and season with the salt and pepper as desired.
How to make zucchini blossoms with Greek yogurt?Wash the zucchini blossoms and carefully remove their stems. In a small mixing bowl combine feta cheese, Greek yogurt, egg yolk and mint leaves. Season with a tiny bit of salt and ground pepper. Stuff each zucchini blossom with a teaspoon of filling and gently twist the petals to seal.
What to make with zucchini with feta and Dill?Zucchini Fritters with Feta and Dill. The word fritter usually conjures up something heavy and deep-fried, but these zucchini pancakes are as light and delicate as can be. Shredded zucchini is combined with eggs, garlic, scallions, feta and dill, and then pan-fried in olive oil until crisp on the exterior and tender on the interior.