SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE
Number Of Ingredients 17
- 5 pounds (about 8) medium mirlitons (chayotes) 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 4 tablespoons olive oil 1 1/2 tablespoons Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence 2 cups chopped yellow onions 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced (about 1/4 cup) 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/4 cup minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley 3 large eggs, lightly beaten 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon dried fine bread crumbs 1 teaspoon Emeril's Kick It Up! Red Pepper Sauce, or other hot sauce 3/4 pound freshly grated American cheese
SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the mirlitons and cook until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the shrimp with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon Bayou Blast in a mixing bowl and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the mirlitons are cool, cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, peel, and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon Bayou Blast and the thyme. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the mirlitons and cook, mashing them with a potato masher, until very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt, black pepper, green onions, and parsley. Cook, stirring, until the shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the eggs, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, and the pepper sauce. Mix well. Spoon the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.
CAJUN SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE
- Simmer mirlitons in water to cover by 2 inches in an 8-quart pot, partially covered, until very tender, about 1 hour. Drain mirlitons, then halve and peel, discarding pits. Coarsely chop in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook onions and bell peppers in 6 tablespoons butter in a 6- to 7-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add mirlitons and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. (Do not let vegetables brown.) Stir in cracker crumbs, shrimp, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake in upper third of oven until crumbs are just golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add mirliton, and boil until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, cool, and peel. Cut in half, remove seeds, and cut into cubes.
- When the mirliton are almost done, bring another pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp, and cook for about 5 minutes, until pink. Drain shrimp, reserving the water for later. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add the shrimp, ham, and cubed mirliton. Beat the egg in a small dish with a tablespoon of the water from the shrimp; pour into the baking dish. Mix in the bread crumbs, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper until evenly blended. If it seems a little dry, add a little more water from the shrimp. You have the choice to freeze, refrigerate, or bake at this point. Sprinkle some more breadcrumbs on top if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 318.7 calories, Carbohydrate 23.1 g, Cholesterol 141.3 mg, Fat 14.1 g, Fiber 3.8 g, Protein 24.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.5 g, Sodium 1061.7 mg, Sugar 4.4 g
- In a medium-size bowl, add mirlitons and vinaigrette; season with salt. Add chives and shallot; toss to combine. Transfer mixture to a second medium-size bowl.
- In the first medium bowl, add greens, dill, and chervil; toss to combine.
- Divide mirliton mixture evenly between each of six plates. Top with greens; serve immediately.
GRANDPA'S MIRLITON DRESSING (NEW ORLEANS STYLE)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil mirlitons, until soft. Cool, peel and cube. Fry ground meat, season to your taste. When ground meat is done, strain grease.
- Mix all ingredients, (except for the butter, bread crumbs and cheese), in a large pot. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs and a little parmesan cheese on top. Top with a little butter
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 0 g, Fat 0 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 0 g, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 0 g
More about "mirliton casserole recipes"
MIRLITON CASSEROLE WITH SHRIMP | FIRST...YOU HAVE A BEER
4.5/5 (2)Total Time 3 hrs 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 122 per serving
- Peel, devein and rinse the shrimp. Pat dry with a towel, place them in a bowl and sprinkle with Seafood Magic or your favorite Creole or Cajun seasoning. Mix to combine.
MIRLITON AND GULF SHRIMP CASSEROLE RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
Category CasserolesTotal Time 1 hr 50 mins
UNCLE TIM'S STUFFED MIRLITONS RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS
MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE - SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE
MIRLITON EN CASSEROLE - BIGOVEN.COM
MIRLITON CASSEROLE - GG'S RECIPES - TAPATALK.COM
MIRLITON SEAFOOD CASSEROLE | HOLIDAY RECIPES
SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE | HAYNES | COPY ME THAT
MIRLITON & SHRIMP CASSEROLE
INTERNATIONAL MIRLITON/CHAYOTE RECIPES - MIRLITON
MIRLITON CASSEROLE | WWLTV.COM
FRANK DAVIS MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
MIRLITON RITZ CASSEROLE | RECIPE | MIRLITON RECIPE, CHAYOTE RECIPES ...
MIRLITON CASSEROLE W/ CRABMEAT, CRAWFISH & SHRIMP
MIRLITON EL CASSEROLE RECIPE | RECIPELAND
SHRIMP MIRLITON CASSEROLE WITH DRESSING : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
WHAT IS MIRLITON CASSEROLE? UNDERSTAND THE POPULAR LOUISIANA ...
MIRLITON CASSEROLE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
SHRIMP, TASSO, AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE - LOUISIANA COOKIN
MIRLITON (MIRLETON) VEGETABLE PEAR CASSEROLE - REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM
RECIPES FOR MIRLITON - THERESCIPES.INFO
MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
DEEP SOUTH DISH: MIRLITON (CHAYOTE SQUASH) SEAFOOD CASSEROLE
MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPES NEW ORLEANS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
MIRLITON DRESSING | EXPERIENCE NEW ORLEANS!
MIRLITON AND CRAWFISH CASSEROLE | WHERE NOLA EATS | NOLA.COM
SHRIMP AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE
HOT SAUSAGE AND MIRLITON CASSEROLE RECIPE
JOHN BESH MIRLITON CASSEROLE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
MIRLITON, SHRIMP AND TASSO CASSEROLE | NEWORLEANSRESTAURANTS.COM
33 RECIPES: LOUISIANA MIRLITONS IDEAS | RECIPES, MIRLITON RECIPE, FOOD
THANKSGIVING MIRLITON SHRIMP CASSEROLE - GRIS GRIS ISLAND
CHAYOTE SQUASH COOKBOOK: DELICIOUS MIRLITON RECIPES: SOMMERS, …
MA MA'S MIRLITON, SHRIMP AND CRABMEAT CASSEROLE - EMERILS.COM
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #stuffings-dressings #casseroles #side-dishes #seafood #oven #easy #winter #shrimp #dietary #low-sodium #seasonal #low-calorie #low-carb #low-in-something #shellfish #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
Can you cook mirliton in a casserole?When cooking mirliton in a casserole you should peel them first so that there is consistency in cooking. You can make this recipe completely a day in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to cook. Alternately, the recipe can be made up to the point just before baking, then placed in the fridge until ready to bake.
How to make mirliton soup?All you need to do is boil the mirliton, remove and mash the flesh, then cook it with onion, celery, garlic, and shrimp. Season with pepper, salt, ground ginger, and basil, then stir in flour and chicken broth before letting it simmer for 30 minutes. Add some half-and-half and this mirliton soup ready to be served! 5.
How do you cook miriltons in the oven?Directions Place the miriltons in a large pot and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife can be inserted easily, about 20 minutes. While mirlitons are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onions, bell peppers, garlic, Essence and salt. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
How to cook mirliton shrimp?When the mirliton are almost done, bring another pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp, and cook for about 5 minutes, until pink. Drain shrimp, reserving the water for later. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry onion and garlic in the oil until soft.