CABBAGE ROLLS "GOLUBTSI"
Cabbage leaves stuffed with a mixture of beef, pork, rice and seasoned vegetables.
Provided by Julia Frey of Vikalinka
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Freeze the cabbages 3 days before you need it. The night before defrost cabbage and keep them in the fridge until you are ready.
- Cook rice in plenty water the same way you would pasta until al dente for approximately 5 minutes after the water boils. It shouldn't be too soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan heat olive oil and cook onions over low heat for 7-10 minutes until tender.
- Grate carrots. In a large bowl combine beef, pork, parsley, onions, carrots, rice, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together stock, crushed tomatoes and creme fraiche, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place your head of cabbage on a cutting board, cut off the bottom and pull the leaves away from the stalk. Repeat with the second head of cabbage.
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C.
- Clear your work space, so all ingredients are within reach. Take a cabbage leaf and cut the rib down, so it's not too thick. Put 2 tbsp of filling at the bottom of the wide part of a leaf (see picture above) and roll it like a burrito, tucking sides in. Your cabbage rolls will vary in size slightly depending on the size of cabbage leaves. You will have approximately 30-32 cabbage rolls.
- Pour a cup of the sauce on the bottom of your cast iron casserole or any other heavy bottom casserole and start stacking your cabbage rolls. Half way through add a couple of bay leaves and 1/3 of the sauce and continue stacking until all cabbage rolls are gone.
- Pour the remaining sauce over cabbage rolls, cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Then take the lid off and bake for 30 more minutes. Serve with additional sour cream or creme fraiche and fresh herbs like dill and parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 429 kcal, Carbohydrate 27 g, Protein 21 g, Fat 27 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Cholesterol 79 mg, Sodium 686 mg, Fiber 6 g, Sugar 10 g, ServingSize 1 serving
MOM'S CABBAGE ROLLS
My mom made the best Ukrainian cabbage rolls, simply filled with rice and bacon and cooked in a tomato sauce. This recipe is the closest I could find to hers.
Provided by Irmgard
Categories Long Grain Rice
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- With a large, sharp knife, cut out the core from the cabbage.
- Place the cabbage in a deep pot and pour boiling water into the core until the cabbage is completely covered.
- Let stand until the outer leaves can be separated, then parboil or steam the leaves just until soft and pliable.
- Continue with the remainder of the cabbage.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until all the fat is drawn out.
- Add the onions; cook until lightly browned.
- Add to the cooked rice; season with salt to taste.
- Line a roasting pan with the outer cabbage leaves.
- Place a spoonful of the rice mixture onto each inner cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the ends, and place in the pan.
- If necessary, trim out the centre rib of the leaf to make rolling easier.
- Pour tomato juice over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with more cabbage leaves.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 440.4, Fat 26, SaturatedFat 8.6, Cholesterol 38.6, Sodium 750.6, Carbohydrate 41.1, Fiber 5.2, Sugar 9.7, Protein 11.8
UKRAINIAN HOLUBTSI OR STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: large green cabbage, ground beef, cooked rice, large eggs, medium onion, medium green bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, kosher salt, condensed tomato soup, tomato, chili sauce, dried basil, dried bay leaves
Provided by Jenny Deremer
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside to cool completely once done.
- Adjust oven rack to lower half of oven to allow for height of roasting pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Boil water in a large pot. While water is heating, remove tough outer leaves of the cabbage and reserve. Core around the stem of the cabbage at enough of an angle to remove. Gently place cabbage into boiling water core side down. Add additional water to ensure cabbage is not touching the bottom of pot.
- Reduce heat just a little and boil cabbage for about 5 minutes or until outer leaves become soft. Using kitchen tongs, remove the outer 2 or 3 leaves intact to a colander placed over a bowl to catch the water. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves one by one, allowing a minute or two between leaves for underlying leaves to soften. You want them to peel apart in one in-tact piece.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, eggs, and salt. Using your hands, work the mixture until combined.
- Position your cooked cabbage leaves alongside your bowl with the mixture in preparation for rolling/stuffing the dumplings. Before stuffing, prepare a large roasting pan by emptying one can of condensed tomato soup or a bit of the canned tomatoes in the bottom and spreading to coat. You do not need much.
- Begin rolling/stuffing the cabbage leaves one at a time. Repeat until all of the meat mixture has been used.
- Once all of the cabbage rolls are tucked tightly in the roasting pan, scatter the pepper strips and the cherry tomatoes on top. If there are remaining unstuffed cabbage leaves left, chop them finely and scatter atop as well. Pour the canned tomatoes, the remaining can of tomato soup, and the Heinz Chili Sauce atop the dumplings. Sprinkle with dried basil and add bay leaves. Dunk the reserved outer leaves detached from the cabbage at the beginning of the recipe into the still hot water used to soften the cabbage. This is simply to remove any grit from the surface of the leaves. Use the outer leaves as a 'blanket' and cover the dumplings completely.
- Place the lid on the roasting pan and bake at 350°F for 2 hours. When 2 hours is up, turn off the oven heat, crack the oven door, and leave the roasting pan in the oven, undisturbed, for an additional hour.
- Let rest until rolls are set. Then, spoon sauce over the cabbage rolls and serve alongside fresh bread of choice.
: MOM'S CABBAGE ROLLS (HOLUBTSI) RECIPE
Provided by carol gorman
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Remove the core, and steam the cabbage. When steaming the cabbage don't over-do it--just long enough so the leaves will separate easily. - Fry onions in butter until they are transparent. Parboil the rice in a little water (just to cover the rice) and bring to a low simmer. Watch carefully - just until water is absorbed. The rice will still be a little 'hard'. It will soften up during baking. - Add raw ground pork, beef, and fried onions. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. - Grease a roaster (a small covered enameled roaster works well, but a covered casserole dish should be just fine) with a little oil and cover the bottom and sides of the roaster with the outer cabbage leaves. Roll filling in an inner cabbage leaf to make a roll. Place rolls in roaster, fitting them snugly together with the seam on the bottom to prevent unrolling. Rolls can be placed in layers to fill the roaster. When the rolls are all in place, pour the tomato juice on top. Note: It is not necessary to use a whole can of tomato juice; it may boil over in the oven. A tray under the roaster to catch any overflow is a good idea. Cover all of the cabbage rolls with left over cabbage leaves. Cover the roaster, then bake in the oven at 400 F for 30 minutes, then 350 for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
More about "moms cabbage rolls holubtsi recipes"
UKRAINIAN HOLUBTSI OR STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
4.9/5 (16)Total Time 3 hrs 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 321 per serving
MOM’S CLASSIC STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS - THE …
UKRAINIAN STUFFED CABBAGE (HOLUBTSI) RECIPE
GOLUBTSI - CABBAGE ROLLS (Голубцы) - OLGA'S …
CABBAGE ROLLS (HOLUBTSI) | MY DELICIOUS BLOG
Servings 6Category Dinner, Main Course
CABBAGE ROLLS WITH POTATO AND MUSHROOMS | HOLUBTSI
UKRAINIAN CABBAGE ROLLS (HOLUBTSI) RECIPE - YOUTUBE
UKRAINIAN CABBAGE ROLLS (HOLUBTSI), A FAMILY CHRISTMAS TRADITION.
UKRAINIAN STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
UKRAINIAN CABBAGE ROLLS WITH MUSHROOMS | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
CABBAGE ROLLS (HOLUBTSI) | CABBAGE ROLLS, COOKED CABBAGE, …
HOLUBTSI (CABBAGE ROLLS) - BIGOVEN.COM
BEST CABBAGE ROLLS - MY MOM'S SECRET RECIPE - MOMS
HOLUBTSI RECIPE - CHEF'S PENCIL
CABBAGE ROLLS - TRADITIONAL NEWFOUNDLAND RECIPES
LAZY HOLUBTSI (LAZY CABBAGE ROLLS) RECIPE- CHEF'S PENCIL
STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
RECIPE: HOLUBTSI (UKRAINIAN-STYLE STUFFED CABBAGE)
MEATLESS HOLUBTSI | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
UKRAINIAN CABBAGE ROLLS WITH MUSHROOMS | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
BAKED STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS | UKRAINIAN RECIPES
HOLUBTSI (UKRAINIAN CABBAGE ROLLS) | THE SMART SLOW COOKER
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love