If you're a fan of gingerbread and are looking for something uniquely different - this is it! From Yorkshire, England, Parkin is an age-old cake featuring oats and black treacle (molasses) to create a delightfully sticky, chewy cake with a deeply robust flavor that only improves with time!
Provided by Kimberly Killebrew
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Generously grease an 8x8 inch baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the medium oatmeal in a large bowl along with the flour, spices, salt and baking powder.
- In a medium saucepan add the brown sugar, black treacle, golden syrup, butter and lard (if using). Heat the mixture until the sugar is melted (don't boil it) and remove from the heat. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot mixture into the dry mixture and stir well to combine. Add the candied ginger, egg and milk and stir well to combine. The batter will be liquid and sticky.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. The cake should be fairly firm but springy. Let the cake cool in the pan. Invert the cake onto a platter. Peel off the parchment paper. Cut the parkin into squares.Place the squares into an airtight container and let it sit for at least 3 days before eating. This is critical (see blog post).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 213 kcal, Carbohydrate 38 g, Protein 2 g, Fat 5 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 84 mg, Sugar 28 g, ServingSize 1 serving
Parkin is a traditional ginger cake from Northern England flavoured with syrupy molasses, oatmeal and warm spices. A lovely teatime treat!
Provided by Sarah Cook
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert
Yield Makes 16 squares
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Butter a deep 22cm square cake tin and line with baking parchment. Beat the egg and milk together with a fork.
- Gently melt the syrup, treacle, sugar and butter together in a large pan until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat. Mix together the oatmeal, flour and ginger and stir into the syrup mixture, followed by the egg and milk.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 mins - 1 hr until the cake feels firm and a little crusty on top. Cool in the tin then wrap in more parchment and foil. Keep for up to five days before eating if you can - it'll become softer and stickier the longer you leave it, up to two weeks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 248 calories, Fat 11.4 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6.7 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 33.3 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 18.5 grams sugar, Fiber 0.9 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.5 milligram of sodium
A traditional cake from Yorkshire, best eaten at Bonfire night. It has a moist texture and spicy flavour, lip smacking good!
Provided by eleanorormsby
Yield Serves 8
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/Gas Mark 1. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin.
- In a pan, over a gentle heat, melt the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup. Don't allow the mixture to get too hot or bubble. When they have melted together remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl sift in the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Gradually add the melted butter mixture and fold together. Pour in the beaten eggs and milk and combine together.
- Pour into your baking tin. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, however keep an eye on it as parkin can easily become dry and over baked.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 20 minutes. Tip onto a cake rack and leave to cool completely.
- Store the parkin in a cake tin and wrapped in greaseproof paper. You must keep it in a tin for a minimum of 1 day and up to a week before you cut it. Leaving it to develop will give it a moist and sticky texture, as well as making the flavour richer and deeper.
THE PERFECT TRADITIONAL YORKSHIRE PARKIN
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 275 F / 140 C / Gas Mark 1. Grease an 8 x 8-inch square cake tin.
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, melt together the butter, golden syrup, brown sugar, and treacle over a gentle heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil; you simply need to melt them together.
- In a large, spacious baking bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal, ginger, nutmeg, mixed spice, and baking powder.
- Gradually add the melted butter mixture, stirring to coat all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually beat in the eggs a few tablespoons at a time.
- Add a tablespoon of milk at a time if the mixture feels dry. You are looking for a soft cake batter. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until firm, set, and a dark golden brown.
- Remove the parkin from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Once cool, slice and store the parkin in an airtight tin for a minimum of three days for the best flavor.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320 kcal, Carbohydrate 44 g, Cholesterol 56 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 2 g, SaturatedFat 10 g, Sodium 197 mg, Sugar 35 g, Fat 16 g, ServingSize 1 Yorkshire Parkin (6 Servings), UnsaturatedFat 0 g
Parkin, a form of gingerbread that contains oatmeal, is popular in the Northern Counties. It is firmer int exture than the more spongy gingerbread and should be kept a little while before eating.
Provided by MarieRynr
Yield 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Set oven to 350*F or mark 4.
- Well grease and line a deep roasting tin, 10 inches by 13 inches. Place all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Gently heat the treacle and butter together in a saucepan until melted and pour into the dry mixture.
- Stir well, add the beaten egg and stir again.
- Warm the milk, add it to the mixture and beat well.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 huors until firm. Leave in the tin for 1/2 hour, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Keep for 48 hours, then cut into squares to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 629.6, Fat 22.5, SaturatedFat 12.6, Cholesterol 65.7, Sodium 597.9, Carbohydrate 98.7, Fiber 5.5, Sugar 22.8, Protein 11
My mum always makes this around my birthday (5th Nov). This is best made a day or two in advance to allow the flavours to develop and the parkin to become moist and sticky. It will keep for up to a week in an airtight container. Double the batch and make 2 cakes. Eat 1 and freeze the other for later - simply remove from the tin and wrap well in foil. Will freeze for up to 3 months.
Provided by English_Rose
Yield 16 squares
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 325F, and grease and line a 10in square cake tin with baking parchment. Heat the butter, treacle and honey together in a saucepan over a low heat until melted.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dry ingredients except the bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the warm milk until it dissolves. Pour the milk over the dry ingredients and mix well, then add the melted treacle mixture and stir again to thoroughly combine.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin. It will sink slightly in the middle as it cools.
- Remove from the tin and place in an airtight container or wrap in foil or clingfilm.
- Store in a cool, dry place. To serve, cut into 16 squares.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 171.3, Fat 6.2, SaturatedFat 3.5, Cholesterol 13.8, Sodium 146.4, Carbohydrate 31.6, Fiber 2.4, Sugar 11.4, Protein 3.4
More about "parkin recipes"
PARKIN - THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF
Servings 16Category Cakes
- Place the butter in a large pan with the molasses or treacle, golden syrup and sugar. Melt everything together over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the oatmeal, flour, ginger and mixed spice. Add the egg and milk mixture and stir until well combined.
OLD FASHIONED PARKIN RECIPE - MEADOW BROWN BAKERY
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
OLD FASHIONED PARKIN - WE ARE TATE AND LYLE SUGARS
OLD FASHIONED YORKSHIRE PARKIN - TRADITIONAL HOME BAKING
GUY FAWKES NIGHT PARKIN CAKE - HONEST COOKING
PARKIN (CAKE) - WIKIPEDIA
TRADITIONAL OATMEAL PARKIN | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
PARKIN RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
PARKIN RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
PARKIN RECIPE - TRADITIONAL STICKY, SPICY CAKE FROM …
TRADITIONAL YORKSHIRE PARKIN - TRADITIONAL YORKSHIRE RECIPES
LANCASHIRE PARKIN RECIPE - COOKITSIMPLY.COM
15 DELICIOUS YORKSHIRE GINGER PARKIN RECIPES - WHAT KATE BAKED
PARKIN RECIPE | QUICKE'S
PARKIN RECIPE - COOK.ME RECIPES
PARKIN PIGS - TRADITIONAL YORKSHIRE RECIPES
YORKSHIRE PARKIN RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE PARKIN – RECIPE | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
BRITISH YORKSHIRE PARKIN RECIPE (STICKY OAT GINGER CAKE)
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT PARKIN | BAKING | THE GUARDIAN
YORKSHIRE PARKIN RECIPE - PROPERFOODIE
DELIGHTFUL REPAST: PARKIN - A CLASSIC NORTHERN ENGLAND CAKE
EASY PARKIN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PARKIN CAKE - CULINARY GINGER
PARKIN (PROTEIN) - WIKIPEDIA
OLD FASHIONED YORKSHIRE PARKIN | CAKE RECIPE | MATT'S CAFE
PARKIN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
HOW TO MAKE YORKSHIRE PARKIN | HELLO YORKSHIRE
STICKY GINGER PARKIN - SOMETHING SWEET SOMETHING SAVOURY
OLD FASHIONED PARKIN RECIPE (QUICK AND EASY) ⋆ EXTRAORDINARY CHAOS
STICKY YORKSHIRE PARKIN - CAKE & BREAD RECIPES | BAKING MAD
PARKIN RECIPE - THE DAUGHTERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE IN THE USA
YORKSHIRE GINGER PARKIN BISCUIT RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
PARKIN RECIPE | OLIVEMAGAZINE
VEGAN PARKIN - DOMESTIC GOTHESS
HOW TO MAKE PARKIN, THE TRADITIONAL NORTHERN GINGER CAKE
PARKIN | SLICE RECIPES | ENGLISH FOOD | SBS FOOD
GLUTEN FREE PARKIN - TRADITIONAL PARKIN RECIPE FOR BONFIRE NIGHT
PARKIN CAKE | SNACK RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
TRADITIONAL YORKSHIRE PARKIN RECIPE - DELISHABLY
PARKIN - THE BAKING EXPLORER
RECIPE | TRADITIONAL PARKIN GINGER AND TREACLE CAKE | THE SIMPLE …
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #healthy #desserts #eggs-dairy #oven #easy #european #potluck #dinner-party #heirloom-historical #holiday-event #kid-friendly #vegetarian #cakes #english #scottish #grains #dietary #gifts #christmas #new-years #low-sodium #comfort-food #inexpensive #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #taste-mood #to-go #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love