POPPY SEED CAKE
As sweet finale for my favorite meal, this moist cake is chock full of poppy seeds. (Don't forget to soak the poppy seeds.) The cream cheese frosting adds the final touch! This is also a tasty dessert to bring to a potluck.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12-15 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds in milk for 30 minutes. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes., In another large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture, beating well after each addition. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. , Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack., For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 426 calories, Fat 23g fat (10g saturated fat), Cholesterol 35mg cholesterol, Sodium 184mg sodium, Carbohydrate 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
POPPY SEED CAKE
- In a small saucepan, combine the poppy seeds and milk. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and allow to rest until cool, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large loaf or tube pan by greasing it with margarine and lightly flouring the inside of the pan.
- In bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter or margarine and sugar. Add egg yolks, vanilla, and poppy seed-milk mixture, and beat until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well; remove bowl from mixer and set aside.
- Place a clean bowl in mixer, with a whisk attachment, and whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into batter. Scrape into pan, and bake until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer cake to a rack. Unmold after 15 minutes. When cool, dust cake with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 433, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 54 grams, Fat 22 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 11 grams, Sodium 207 milligrams, Sugar 35 grams, TransFat 1 gram
POPPY SEED CAKE III
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and add eggs, vanilla, oil and milk. Mix well and fold in the poppy seeds. Pour into a 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 419.8 calories, Carbohydrate 52.6 g, Cholesterol 61.6 mg, Fat 20.7 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 7 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 180.1 mg, Sugar 32 g
POPPY SEED CAKE
- In small sauce pan cook poppy seed with honey and 1/4 cup water for 5-7 minutes.
- Cream butter/margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add cooled poppy seed mixture to creamed mixture, and egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add poppy seed mixture to dry mixture, beating well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 9-inch tube (or bundt) pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 5820.4, Fat 318.2, SaturatedFat 160.2, Cholesterol 1435.2, Sodium 5697.2, Carbohydrate 677.9, Fiber 22.8, Sugar 415.1, Protein 92.4
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE
- Pour the buttermilk into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stir in the poppy seeds, and set aside at room temperature for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly spray the inside of a Bundt pan with the baking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and 2 cups of the granulated sugar on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, the vanilla, and lemon zest, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the lemon juice to the buttermilk mixture. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture in thirds, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to be sure the batter is well mixed. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup of lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a baking rack set over a large plate. Spoon the warm lemon syrup slowly over the cake, allowing it to be absorbed into the cake. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl, adding a little more sugar or lemon juice to make a smooth, thick, but pourable glaze. Drizzle over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Transfer to a flat cake plate and serve at room temperature.
- Soak poppy seeds in milk for 1 hour, set aside. Whip eggs and castor sugar until fluffy. Drizzle in vegetable oil, vanilla essence and almond essence. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and add alternately with milk and poppy seeds. Batter will be thin. Bake at 350 degrees in 2 9 x 5-inch loaf pan for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.;
POPPY SEED TEA CAKE
Poppy seeds belong to the small-but-mighty clan of ingredients: Their flavor is nutty, their aroma earthy, and their color, a gorgeous blue-black, dramatic. Even though they're minuscule, they crack pleasantly under a light bite. Sprinkle poppy seeds over something sweet or savory and you add interest. Give the seeds a star turn and you add surprise. Although this simple loaf cake includes vanilla extract and lemon juice, it's the flavor that you get from an abundance of poppy seeds that brings everyone back for more. The cake can be served plain, but it's pretty spread with white icing and speckled with seeds. Remember that because poppy seeds are oily, they can go rancid - store them in the freezer and taste a few before using them.
Provided by Dorie Greenspan
Yield 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Make the cake: Center a rack in the oven and heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. Place the pan on 2 stacked baking sheets or an insulated baking sheet.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Put the sugar in a large bowl, add the lemon or tangerine zest, and rub together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the eggs, one by one, whisking each vigorously before adding the next. Whisk in the juice and vanilla, and then whisk in the heavy cream until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, using the whisk to gently stir the dry ingredients into the batter. When the flour is incorporated, add the butter in 2 additions, again stirring gently with the whisk. You should have a thick, smooth, shiny batter. Switch to a flexible spatula and stir in the poppy seeds. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- Bake until the cake has risen and cracked along the center and, most important, a tester inserted deep into the cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Take a look at it after about 45 minutes and tent it loosely with foil if it's getting too dark too fast.
- Transfer the pan to a rack, cool for 5 minutes, and then run a table knife between the cake and the sides of the pan. Unmold the cake, then turn it right side up onto the rack. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the glaze, if you like: Stir together the confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice until smooth. If needed, add more juice, a drop at a time, until you have an icing that falls slowly from the tip of a spoon. Spread it over the cooled cake to coat evenly, sprinkle with poppy seeds and let stand until set. Wrapped well, the cake will keep at room temperature for about 4 days; unglazed, it can be frozen for up to 1 month.
LAYERED POPPY SEED CAKE
It's just not Christmas at our house until I bake and ice this old-time layer cake-my husband's favorite since he was a boy.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- In a small bowl, combine milk and poppy seeds; let stand for 1 hour. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into creamed mixture., Spread into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely., In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Stir in walnuts and vanilla., Cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Garnish with additional walnuts and confectioners' sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 442 calories, Fat 19g fat (9g saturated fat), Cholesterol 145mg cholesterol, Sodium 302mg sodium, Carbohydrate 61g carbohydrate (40g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the bottom and sides of a fluted tube pan (such as Bundt® generously.
- Beat sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until light; beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce mixing speed and add poppy seeds, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in another bowl. Beat in flour mixture slowly, alternating with buttermilk.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 65 to 75 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 538.7 calories, Carbohydrate 74.7 g, Cholesterol 124.2 mg, Fat 24 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 8.3 g, SaturatedFat 12.8 g, Sodium 262.1 mg, Sugar 47.5 g
LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE
Lemon and poppyseed cake is a baking classic, packed with zesty flavours and drenched in icing for the ultimate treat alongside a cuppa
Provided by Mary Cadogan
Categories Afternoon tea
Yield 12 slices
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 20cm square deep cake tin (or if using a decorative tin like ours, grease well).
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until combined. Spoon into the tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 40-45 mins. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out, peel off the parchment and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Beat in the lemon juice to make a runny icing. Pour over the cake and leave to set.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 314 calories, Fat 14 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 44 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 32 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.5 milligram of sodium
LEMON-POPPY SEED CAKE
The secret to moist, flavorful lemon-poppy seed cake is to start with lemon cake mix! Let your microwave speed your way to an easy lemon glaze.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Make cake batter as directed on box--except stir poppy seed into batter. Pour into pan.
- Bake as directed on box for fluted tube pan. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn upside down onto heatproof serving plate. Remove pan; cool cake completely, about 1 hour.
- In microwavable bowl, microwave frosting uncovered on Medium (50%) 15 seconds. Spread over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side. Store loosely covered.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 220, Carbohydrate 29 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Fat 2, Fiber 0 g, Protein 2 g, SaturatedFat 2 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 230 mg, Sugar 17 g, TransFat 1/2 g
SOLO POPPY SEED CAKE
This was a Slovak traditional cake that was passed down in my family which I make for special occasions and now its my birthday cake. Solo still prints the recipe on the back of its label of Poppy Seed filling. I did not find the recipe in here and wanted to share this truly delectable for all to enjoy since I hate seeing lemon with it-just ruins it. I hear complaints that people think poppy seed is dry and stay away from it. You haven't eaten it properly then! I love poppy seed! It is so addicting! Very moist and good right out of the oven. Even better next day when flavors have mellowed. Its really good cold too. Its so good, it doesn't need frosting!! I will post my lighter version that I use now just for me since I am dieting and for my hypoglycemia. Enjoy!
Provided by Wicked Creations
Yield 1 bundt, 14-16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add poppy seed filling and beat until blended.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and beat just until blended.
- In a small bowl, blend flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to poppy seed mixture gradually beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, beat whites with electric mixer untill stiff peaks form.
- Fold whites into batter and spread in prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes to one hour 15 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving if desired.
More about "poppy seed cake recipes"
POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE- TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
4.8/5 (22)Calories 291 per servingCategory Dessert
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the 3/4 cup milk, a little bit at a time, stirring gently after each addition, starting and ending with flour.
LEVANAS ORANGE POPPY SEED CAKE BEST RECIPES
SIMPLE LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE - THE LOOPY WHISK
SOLO FOODS | SOLO POPPY CAKE
POPPY SEED CAKE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
OLD FASHIONED POPPY SEED CAKE - THEBESTDESSERTRECIPES.COM
BEST LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPES | BAREFOOT CONTESSA: BACK …
BEST EVER LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - BAKINGO BLOG
10 BEST GERMAN POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CLASSIC LAYERED POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE| MIXIES VINATGE
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - A SOUTHERN SOUL
POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
63 POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPES | RECIPELAND
BLUEBERRY LEMON POPPY SEED CUSTARD CAKE. - HALF BAKED HARVEST
POPPY SEED CAKE WITH SOUR CREAM FROSTING | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY …
BEST LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE LEMON …
EASY POPPY SEED CAKE — LET'S DISH RECIPES
LEMON-POPPY SEED CHIFFON CAKE - PASTRY AT HOME
POPPY SEED CAKE - DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
10 BEST POPPY SEED CAKE WITH YELLOW CAKE MIX RECIPES - YUMMLY
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
GRANDMA'S POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - LAUREN CHATTMAN | FOOD & WINE
LEMON POPPY SEED LOAF (THE BEST) | RICARDO
GERMAN POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GERMAN POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - THE COOKING FOODIE
POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - JOYFOODSUNSHINE
AMAZING ORANGE AND POPPY SEED CAKE - SWEETEST MENU
LEMON POPPYSEED CAKE RECIPE | LIFE LOVE AND SUGAR
THIS CAKE IS A TASTE OF A VANISHING NEW YORK - THE NEW YORK TIMES
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE - JOYFOODSUNSHINE
CHEESE AND POPPY SEED CAKE - HOME COOKING RECIPES
POPPY SEED CAKE RECIPE - TODAY'S MAMA
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
MUTTI'S POPPY SEED CAKE ~ MOHNKUCHEN - JUST LIKE OMA
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #preparation #desserts #cakes #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a poppy seed cake in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the bottom and sides of a fluted tube pan (such as Bundt® generously. Beat sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until light; beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce mixing speed and add poppy seeds, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
How to bake poppy seeds and egg whites?Directions In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds in milk for 30 minutes. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
How do you make poppy seed cookies with buttermilk?Pour the buttermilk into a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, stir in the poppy seeds, and set aside at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly spray the inside of a Bundt pan with the baking spray and set aside.
What are the ingredients in a poppy seed frosting?Ingredients. 1 1/3 cup poppy seeds. 2 1 cup 2% milk. 3 4 egg whites. 4 3/4 cup shortening. 5 1-1/2 cups sugar. 6 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. 7 2 cups all-purpose flour. 8 2 teaspoons baking powder. 9 CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: 10 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.