TENDER BEER POT ROAST (IN DUTCH OVEN, BRAISED WITH PORTER ALE)
How to cook a classic beer braised pot roast in Dutch oven. In this recipe we use rump and porter ale and cook the beef low and slow for tender texture and amazing flavors.
Provided by CraftBeering
Categories Cooking with Beer
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Bring the beef to room temperature before you handle it.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and coat the beef all over.
- Preheat the oven to 275-300 F (depending on your oven's calibration).
- Heat a Dutch oven or similar heavy duty oven safe pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and sear beef on all sides until nicely browned. Remove temporarily and lower the heat to medium.
- Saute the onions briefly, add the tomato paste and minced garlic and give everything a nice stir, cook about 1 minute. Deglaze with some porter and scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the rest of the porter, then the beef broth, brown sugar and thyme. Stir.
- Add back the beef and surround with the potatoes and carrots. Bring to boil. Cover and transfer to the oven.
- Check after 2 hours to make sure that there is sufficient liquid remaining. If needed add a bit more ale or stock or water. Continue braising until the beef is very tender** and can easily be broken up with a fork.
- Reserve the juices to use in gravy (optional) and break up the roast before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 999 calories, Carbohydrate 38 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 299 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 51 grams fat, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 83 grams protein, SaturatedFat 19 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, Sodium 422 grams sodium, Sugar 6 grams sugar, TransFat 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 26 grams unsaturated fat
BRAISED POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES
- Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot that has a tight cover; heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat. Brown the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Pour in the tomatoes and the water. Scatter the vegetables and herbs around the pot roast, season with salt and pepper; and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Braise for about 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices, until the beef is fork tender.
- Slice the pot roast and arrange on platter surrounded by the vegetables. Serve with the pot juices.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 412 calorie, Fat 17 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Cholesterol 147 milligrams, Sodium 383 milligrams, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 52 grams, Sugar 4.5 grams
POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES
This recipe is my personal favorite for pot roast. It tenderizes the toughest meats and produces a wonderful, flavorful gravy. It's best when cooked in a cast-iron Dutch oven. This is a whole meal in one pot, my favorite kind of meal.
Provided by judy2304
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy pot or cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown chuck roast in the hot oil completely, 5 to 8 minutes per side; season with salt and black pepper and transfer to a platter. Reserve oil in pot.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in the oil until onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Stir beef stock, tomatoes, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and bay leaves into onions and garlic; bring to a boil and place chuck roast into the mixture. Cover pot.
- Cook in the preheated oven until meat is very tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Scatter carrot slices around the beef and bring to a boil over medium heat; return to oven for 30 more minutes. Distribute potatoes around the beef and vegetables, bring to a boil again over medium heat, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 30 more minutes.
- Transfer beef to a serving platter, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil, and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms into pan drippings; bring to a simmer over low heat. Whisk cornstarch into cold water in a small bowl and stir into the drippings. Season with celery salt, basil, and thyme. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Slice beef; serve on a platter surrounded by vegetables. Pour gravy over beef.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 567.2 calories, Carbohydrate 30.3 g, Cholesterol 120.3 mg, Fat 32.8 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 35.9 g, SaturatedFat 12.4 g, Sodium 450.7 mg, Sugar 10.4 g
BEER-BRAISED ROAST WITH ROOT VEGETABLES
I like the combination of seasoned vegetables and lean meat in this recipe, and my wife likes how the seasonings complement the meat. I serve the roast with a garden salad and crusty multigrain bread. -Malcolm Cieszko, Washington, North Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Place vegetables in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Place roast over vegetables. In a small bowl, combine beer, 2 tablespoons parsley, Worcestershire sauce, spreadable fruit, salt and pepper; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender., Using a slotted spoon, remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast and vegetables; sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 539 calories, Fat 26g fat (9g saturated fat), Cholesterol 147mg cholesterol, Sodium 615mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 47g protein.
BEER-BRAISED POT ROAST AND VEGETABLES WITH POLENTA
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or roasting pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until the bacon is brown and the fat is rendered, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Leave the pot on the heat.
- Season the roast on all sides with the salt and pepper. Add the roast to the bacon fat remaining in the pan and sear on all sides until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the roast from the pan and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and cook until wilted and fragrant, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and are beginning to color, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 45 seconds. Add the beer, beef stock, tomatoes and their juices, and the roast to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot tightly, place in the oven, and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Carefully remove the roast from the oven and add the carrots, parsnips and turnips. Turn the meat, basting with the pan juices. Cover tightly and return to the oven. Bake until the meat shreds easily and the vegetables are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending upon the size of the meat.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the roast from the pan and let sit on a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Using two forks or a knife and form, shred the meat.
- Skim the fat from the pan juices and discard. Return the meat to the pan, add the parsley, and stir well.
- To serve, spoon the polenta into wide entree bowls and spoon the pot roast, vegetables, and gravy on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 439.6, Fat 16.6, SaturatedFat 7.1, Cholesterol 153.1, Sodium 828.5, Carbohydrate 19.8, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 8.3, Protein 52.1
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Brown the pot roast on all sides in the hot oil; remove from pan and set aside. Cook the onion and garlic in the hot oil until they begin to soften and turn brown, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes to the pot; cook and stir until they begin to color, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix the flour into the vegetables; stir continuously for 1 minute. Pour the beef stock and beer into the mixture and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add the Bay leaf, thyme, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Place the pot roast atop the entire mixture. Cover pot with lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the meat and vegetables are completely tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 567.7 calories, Carbohydrate 38.7 g, Cholesterol 98.2 mg, Fat 29 g, Fiber 5.9 g, Protein 33.8 g, SaturatedFat 10.1 g, Sodium 300 mg, Sugar 7.9 g
POT ROAST WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
This hearty dish is the perfect fall meal -- loaded with sweet root vegetables and a roast made flavorful and tender from hours simmering in a rich brew of red wine, tomatoes and beef base.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- For the beef: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven, with a lid, over medium-high heat. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper and sprinkle lightly with the flour. Add the oil to the pot, and sear the beef on both sides until a deep mahogany brown, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer the beef to a plate. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the oil from the pot.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands as you add them, and cook until a deep brick red, about 5 minutes more; reserve the tomato juice in the can.
- Add the wine to the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits that cling to the bottom. Add the reserved tomato juice, beef base, 2 cups water, thyme and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Return the beef to the pot, nestle it in the liquid, cover and transfer the pot to the oven.
- Cook until the beef is just tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the lid and continue to cook, uncovered until tender, about 1 hour more.
- For the roasted vegetables: Meanwhile, toss the carrots, onions, parsnips and turnip with the olive oil and some salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread out the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. You may have to use 2 baking sheets. Once the beef comes out of the oven, raise the temperature to 450 degrees F. Roast the vegetables, turning halfway through cooking, until caramelized and tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Skim the fat off the surface of the sauce in the pot and discard. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. For a thicker sauce, whisk in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. (Test the thickness of the sauce by spooning some onto a plate and checking the consistency). Stir in the parsley, if using. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Keep the beef warm in the sauce until ready to slice.
- Slice the pot roast, lay it on a platter and surround it with the vegetables. Spoon some of the sauce on top and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
POT ROAST WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
Pat: There is nothing like the smell of a pot roast cooking in the oven. My mother made a mean pot roast; her secret was using dried Italian seasoning on the meat, and it's a technique I've incorporated into this recipe. The flavors of the dressing really permeate and tenderize the roast. A well-seasoned cast-iron Dutch oven (or an enamel-coated Dutch oven) is our favorite cooking vessel for this roast. Here we call for a boneless chuck roast, because the well-marbled cut keeps plenty moist, but you can also use a 4- to 6-pound bone-in roast (you'll need to cook it for another 45 minutes). Gina: Ladies, this is also a great dish to make when your schedule is tight. You can sear the meat, then throw it and the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker and head off to work. Make some cornbread when you get home, and it's a wrap.
Yield serves 6 to 8
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over high heat. Season the pot roast generously with salt and pepper, then add it to the pot, and sear on all sides until nicely brown. Transfer the roast to a plate, then pour the beer into the Dutch oven, whisk to scrape up any browned bits, and whisk down the foam. Stir in the broth, Italian dressing mix, bay leaves, garlic, and onions. Put the roast back in the Dutch oven, and bake, covered, for 3 hours, or until tender, turning once. Remove the bay leaves, and serve with Roasted Vegetables (recipe follows).
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and onions in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and thyme, and season generously with salt and pepper, then toss until the vegetables are evenly coated. Transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet or a large cast-iron skillet, and roast for 45 minutes, or until they are tender and well browned, using a metal spatula to flip them every 15 minutes or so. Remove the vegetables from the oven, cool for 10 minutes, then add the parsley, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Taste for seasonings, and add more salt or pepper, as desired.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based frying pan. Add all the vegetables (or do this in 2 batches if necessary rather than overcrowd the pan) and a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then sweat them on a medium heat for 5 mins.
- Transfer the veg to a large roasting tin, pour in 150ml water, cover with foil, then roast for about 2 hrs or until meltingly tender but still holding their shape. Taste and correct the seasoning.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 131 calories, Fat 7 grams fat, SaturatedFat 4 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 15 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 10 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.17 milligram of sodium
POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES
This old-fashioned favorite uses an economical cut of beef that's simmered to fork-tenderness.-National Livestock and Meat Board
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine the garlic, oregano and lemon-pepper; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Add 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 hours. , Add vegetables; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes longer or until beef is tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing., Strain cooking liquid; skim off fat. Return 1 cup liquid to pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. , Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to pan. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until gravy is thickened and bubbly. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 287 calories, Fat 7g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 64mg cholesterol, Sodium 48mg sodium, Carbohydrate 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
More about "pot roast vegetables and beer recipes"
BEEF POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES AND HERBS RECIPE
10 BEST BEEF POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES IN OVEN RECIPES
INSTANT POT ROAST BEEF AND VEGETABLES – A CLASSIC RECIPE
BEER POT ROAST SLOW COOKER RECIPE - ROAMINGMYPLANETCOM
ROASTED MIXED VEGETABLE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
POT ROAST BEER RECIPE
BEER POT ROAST RECIPE [VIDEO] - SWEET AND SAVORY MEALS
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER - POT ROAST RECIPES
10 BEST LEFTOVER POT ROAST VEGETABLES RECIPES | YUMMLY
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER - DAIRY FREE RECIPES
CROCK POT BEER-BRAISED POT ROAST RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CLASSIC POT ROAST WITH VEGETABLES - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
BEER BRAISED POT ROAST RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
RECIPES FOR INSTANT POT VEGETABLES - THERESCIPES.INFO
RECIPES GOOD FOOD: POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER
POT ROAST RECIPE: POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER BY PAM – …
BASIC CROCK POT BEEF ROAST WITH VEGETABLES RECIPE
ROSEMARY POT ROAST WITH BRAISED VEGETABLES - CANADIAN BEEF
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER – DRSTARVE
BEER BRAISED POT ROAST WITH ROOT VEGETABLES | HEINEN'S GROCERY …
HOW TO MAKE A POT ROAST RECIPE WITH GINGER BEER - RIVER CITY SODA
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER | RECIPE | POT ROAST, RECIPES, POT ...
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER | RECIPE | POT ROAST, POT ROAST SLOW ...
POT ROAST WITH BEER RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES …
BEER-BRAISED POT ROAST RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER RECIPE - TEXTCOOK
21 HAMILTON BEACH SLOW COOKER RECIPES POT ROAST
POT ROAST WITH BEER RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
SLOW COOKER BEER POT ROAST - NEIGHBORFOOD
POT ROAST IN BEER - POT ROAST RECIPES
BRAISED BEER POT ROAST RECIPE - MADE WITH SIMPLE INGREDIENTS
DELICIOUS CARAMELIZED VERMOUTH ROAST RECIPE - YAHOO.COM
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER - KHIRAYA.LIFE
MARINATED POT ROAST BEEF - THERESCIPES.INFO
POT ROAST, VEGETABLES, AND BEER | RECIPE | POT ROAST, RECIPES, ROAST
You'll also love