RICE & PEAS
Serve rice and peas as a side with Caribbean-style jerk chicken, or other barbecued meats. The 'peas' are actually kidney beans
Provided by Anna Glover
Categories Dinner, Lunch, Side dish, Supper
Yield Serves 4 as a side
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Put the beans, coconut milk, thyme, allspice, 4 of the spring onions and 100ml water in a pan, and bring to a simmer. Season with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Rinse the rice a few times in a sieve until the water runs clear. Tip into the pan and simmer for 10 mins over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, before lowering the heat. Put the lid on and cook for another 5 mins until the grains are tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff up the rice with a fork before serving and scatter with the reserved spring onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 335 calories, Fat 9 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 52 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 3 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 9 grams protein, Sodium 0.04 milligram of sodium
EASY RICE AND PEAS
Even folks who aren't fond of vegetables will gobble up this simple-to-prepare side dish. For even more color, toss in some chopped frozen carrots.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Bring water, butter and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice and peas. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 233 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 8mg cholesterol, Sodium 662mg sodium, Carbohydrate 45g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
RICE WITH PEAS
- Heat one tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Add rice, water, bay leaf and salt and bring to the boil. Cover closely and cook exactly 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if fresh peas are used, drop them into boiling salted water and cook one minute or less until tender. Do not overcook. Drain.
- Heat the remaining one tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and add the fresh or frozen peas. Cook, briefly, stirring gently. Stir the peas into the rice and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 280, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 48 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 504 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
WHITE RICE WITH GREEN PEAS
- Heat oil in medium heavy saucepan over low heat. Add rice and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until onion softens slightly. Add water, stir, cover, and cook over lowest possible heat 2025 minutes until rice is almost done. Stir in the peas, turn off the heat, and let sit covered five minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat. Add butter or margarine and let melt. Stir in cloves, cinnamon, Serrano chile, and ginger. Saute briefly. Mix in rice and stir to coat it evenly. Stir in peas, salt, and sugar. Pour in water and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let rice cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes; or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 406.7 calories, Carbohydrate 78.8 g, Cholesterol 15.3 mg, Fat 7.1 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 8.3 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 45 mg, Sugar 0.9 g
RICE WITH CHICK PEAS
- Drain the soaked chick peas and, in a large pot, combine them with the water and the bay leaf. Bring up to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 2 1/2 hours, or until tender. Drain, reserving the cooking water, and discard the bay leaf. There should be 3 cups of liquid, if necessary, add some water to make up the amount.
- Heat a large ovenproof casserole over low heat and cook the salt pork, turning it over occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the yellow pepper, garlic, and bacon and cook for about 8 minutes more, until all the vegetables are softened. Tip the pan to the side and spoon off all but about 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add the rice and stir for about 3 minutes, until it is well coated with the fat and just beginning to brown. Add the salt, pepper, sherry, the reserved 3 cups cooking liquid, and the chick peas.
- Cook partially covered over medium high heat without stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed and small craters appear in the top of the rice, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, stir the rice with a fork, and cover tightly. Cook for about 10 minutes more, until the rice is tender. Remove the salt pork and serve.
RICE WITH PEAS AND CILANTRO
- Tie together reserved cilantro stems with kitchen twine.Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cookonion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, about8 minutes. Add chili powder, and season with salt andpepper; cook for 1 minute. Add rice, and stir to coat. Addcilantro-stem bundle and the water; bring to a boil.Reduce heat to low, and gently simmer, covered, until wateris absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add peas (do not mix). Cover, andlet stand for 10 minutes. Discard cilantro-stem bundle.Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro leaves.
BUTTERED RICE WITH PEAS
This simple and simply delicious colorful side dish is ready in only 15 minutes and features a medley of bell peppers, sweet peas and Parmesan cheese.
Provided by By Inspired Taste
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bell pepper; cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pepper begins to soften. Add peas and onions. Cook about 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until bell pepper is crisp-tender and peas are thoroughly heated.
- Add cooked rice to skillet with vegetables; stir to combine. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 Serving
LEMON RICE WITH PEAS
- Cook and stir rice and thyme in hot margarine in medium-sized saucepan 5 minutes or until rice is lightly golden. Carefully stir in both, water, ReaLemon®, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in peas. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds. Optional: Top with garnish for added color.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 231.6 calories, Carbohydrate 40.4 g, Cholesterol 1.5 mg, Fat 5.1 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 5 g, SaturatedFat 0.8 g, Sodium 356.4 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
PARMESAN PEAS 'N' RICE
Parmesan Peas 'n' Rice are a wonderful complement for any meal. My husband, John, likes rice but isn't crazy about peas, and I'm just the opposite. It's a great compromise!
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small saucepan, saute rice and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. , Add peas; cover and cook 5-6 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 221 calories, Fat 7g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 626mg sodium, Carbohydrate 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
RICE AND PEAS
- Combine kidney beans, 2 cups water, coconut milk and garlic in a covered medium-size pot and bring to a boil.
- Add onion, green onion, black pepper, thyme and salt to taste.
- Simmer on medium heat.
- Stir in rice and mix well.
- Cook on low heat until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Fluff before serving.
RICE WITH MUSHROOMS AND PEAS
- Combine the rice with 1 1/2 cups water in a heavy-bottomed pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, cooking a total of 17 minutes, until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, wash, trim and slice mushrooms. Heat oil in a nonstick pan, and saute the mushrooms until they begin to give off liquid.
- Two minutes before rice is cooked, stir in the mushrooms and peas and finish cooking.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 311, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 62 grams, Fat 3 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 43 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams
ITALIAN RICE AND PEAS
This rice is a little moister than most rice dishes. It goes well with other veggies. It is a speciality of Venice
Provided by Bergy
Categories Long Grain Rice
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt 2 oz of butter in a saucepan.
- Add chopped onion and celery, cook until just translucent.
- Add rice, cook a few minutes more, stirring to coat the rice with butter.
- Add wine, 1 cup of boiling water and crumbled stock cubes.
- Bring to a boil, add peas.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered until the water has evaporated.
- Add another cup of boiling water, cook until evaporated.
- Add the final cup of boiling water.
- Keep cooking until the water is almost absorbed.
- Overall cooking time is about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1 oz butter.
- Add salt& pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 455.7, Fat 19, SaturatedFat 11.6, Cholesterol 48.2, Sodium 792, Carbohydrate 53.7, Fiber 9.7, Sugar 11.4, Protein 13.3
More about "rice with peas recipes"
BEST RICE AND PEAS RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
3.2/5 (50)Servings 6
EASY JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE (RICE COOKER) - ROXY CHOW …
CRISPY RICE BAKE WITH SHRIMP AND PEAS RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
HERBED RICE AND PEAS - LYDIA'S FLEXITARIAN KITCHEN
10 BEST RICE AND PEAS AND FISH RECIPES | YUMMLY
DELICIOUS WHITE RICE WITH PEAS AND CARROTS | CARIBBEAN GREEN LIVING
10 BEST LEFTOVER RICE AND PEAS RECIPES | YUMMLY
SIMPLE TURMERIC RICE WITH PEAS - ERICA'S RECIPES
EASY RICE RECIPE WITH GREEN PEAS – MELANIE COOKS
ONE POT VEGETABLE RICE WITH BELL PEPPER AND PEAS
EASY RICE PILAF WITH PEAS RECIPE - THESE OLD COOKBOOKS
BEST JAMAICAN PEAS AND RICE RECIPE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
CAJUN SHRIMP AND RICE RECIPES
EASY RICE PILAF WITH PEAS AND CARROTS - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
RICE PILAF WITH CORN AND PEAS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | THAT GIRL COOKS HEALTHY
15-MINUTE FRIED RICE WITH PEAS - PROPORTIONAL PLATE
CREAMY RICE & SWEET PEAS | RACHAEL RAY IN SEASON
CREAMY RICE AND PEAS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO USE LEFTOVER RICE
RICE PILAF WITH PEAS AND CARROTS RECIPE - HOME STRATOSPHERE
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | MYJAMAICANRECIPES.COM
EASY BAKED RICE AND PEAS - BAKED RICE AND PEAS - SKINNYTASTE
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS - IMMACULATE BITES
RICE AND PEAS - LEARN HOW TO COOK THIS AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN SIDE …
JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
PUERTO RICAN RICE WITH PIGEON PEAS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BEST RICE WITH PEAS (TAHIRI) RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SPICY RICE WITH PEAS - NEILS HEALTHY MEALS
THE BEST JAMAICAN RICE AND PEAS RECIPE - GRANDBABY CAKES
BEEF FRIED RICE WITH PEAS | RICARDO
BROWN RICE WITH PEAS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
RICE WITH TUNA AND PEAS | FOOD FROM PORTUGAL
INDIAN BASMATI RICE WITH PEAS RECIPE - PAMELA SALZMAN
RICE PEAS CURRY - RECIPES - PAGE 2 | COOKS.COM
EASY STOVETOP RICE AND PEAS RECIPE | HINT OF HELEN
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook with peas and rice?It's a great compromise! In a small saucepan, saute rice and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas; cover and cook 5-6 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in cheese.
Is this authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipe for You?If you love a certain wow factor about your food, then this authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipe is definitely for you! Super easy and nutritious!
What is rice and peas?Rice and peas are also very common on the African continent, especially when it comes from Ghana. There, rice and peas are known as moros de guandules con coco, or Moorish pigeon peas with coconut.