Anchovy and red pepper flakes balance the bitterness of the escarole, giving it a sweetness that goes well with the robust flavors of the [Veal Involtini](/recipes/recipe_views/views/232001).
Yield Makes 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Wash escarole well in a sinkful of water, then lift out and drain. Cook escarole in a 7- to 8-quart heavy pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in same pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add anchovies, then reduce heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until dissolved, about 1 minute. Add escarole, stirring to coat with oil, then increase heat to moderately high and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until escarole is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
- Spoon onto a platter and drizzle with oil to taste.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant and lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in escarole; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 82 g, Fat 7 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 1 g, SaturatedFat 1 g
GARLIC AND OIL SAUTEED ESCAROLE
- Heat oil in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and barely simmer until garlic is just beginning to brown. Remove and discard garlic. Pour oil into a clean container and reserve.
- Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves from the escarole. Cut off the tough root end and tear leaves into large pieces. Wash well in a sink filled with cold water. Shake off excess water. In a deep saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches, boil escarole for about 5 minutes over high heat. Remove from heat and drain in a colander. Immediately place escarole in cold water to cover, stopping the cooking process. When escarole is cool, drain well in a colander and pat dry.
- TO MAKE GARLIC AND OIL SAUTE()EED ESCAROLE: Heat oil in a large, heavy sauteG pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Stir in the escarole and sauteG for 3 minutes or until hot. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
ESCAROLE AND GARLIC SAUTE
I'd never tried escarole and was curious to see what it tasted like. It didn't taste as bitter as I thought it might be and was a pleasant change from my usual vegetable recipes.
Provided by TasteTester
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly golden, about 1-2 minutes. Don't let garlic get too dark, or it will ruin the taste of the dish.
- Stir in the escarole; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender - about 10 minutes.
- Wash the escarole and dry the leaves.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and gently saute the garlic, scallions and ginger without browning for one to two minutes.
- Add the escarole and saute until the leaves are wilted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 69, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 2 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 0 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 82 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovies, and cook, stirring, until the anchovies dissolve, about 2 minutes.
- Add the whole escarole leaves to the skillet, with a little water from washing still clinging to them, and season with the salt. Stir in the olives. Once the escarole begins to wilt, cover the skillet and cook until the leaves are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure the pan is not dry; if it is, add a few tablespoons of water and re-cover.
- Once the escarole is wilted and tender, uncover and cook for another minute or two to evaporate any excess liquid. Season with salt (keeping in mind that the anchovies and olives contain salt), and serve warm.
Escarole is a bitter green, I just love it. This is a good introduction if you never had it. The raisins sweeten it. The beans give it a nice richness. The vinegar cuts down the bitterness and the salty capers and anchovies makes for a dish with lots of flavor. The optional ingredients are for those that are not vegetarians. Do rinse the beans, anchovies and capers well to remove excess sodium.
Provided by Rita1652
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Discard or trim any tough outer leaves.
- Tear into bite sized pieces, wash and spin dry.
- Soak the raisins in 2 tbsp warm water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Chop the anchovies into a paste.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the garlic until it turns pale brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add in beans, It's OK if they get mashed while stirring.
- Stir in the escarole until it wilts.
- Stir in all of the other ingredients and saute for about a minute.
- Serve hot topped with grated cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 170.8, Fat 5.9, SaturatedFat 0.8, Cholesterol 1.7, Sodium 438.3, Carbohydrate 22.8, Fiber 9.8, Sugar 4.1, Protein 8.2
SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH FRIED SHALLOTS
- Heat 1/4 inch vegetable oil in a small saute pan over medium heat until shimmering. Working in 3 batches, fry shallots, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard garlic. Add red-pepper flakes to pan, and cook 15 seconds. Fill pan with escarole, and cook, carefully stirring and adding more escarole, a handful at a time, as space allows. Once all of the escarole is in the pan, season with remaining teaspoon salt, and stir just until escarole begins to wilt and turn a vibrant green. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving dish, and top with fried shallots.
More about "sauteed escarole with shallots and hot chili oil recipes"
BEST CHARRED ESCAROLE WITH SAUTEED GARLIC AND LEMON …
BROILED TILAPIA WITH SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE | COOKING …
10 BEST HOT CHILI OIL COOKING RECIPES - YUMMLY
SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE: ITALIAN STYLE - SHE LOVES BISCOTTI
MOM'S SAUTEED ESCAROLE - 2 SISTERS RECIPES BY ANNA AND LIZ
SPAGHETTI WITH GARLICKY SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE - VIEW COOKING VIDEOS - CAKE RECIPES TASTE
SAUTéED ESCAROLE RECIPE BY LIDIA BASTIANICH - THE DAILY MEAL
SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH GARLIC | DR. RONALD HOFFMAN
SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE - LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
SAUTéED ESCAROLE RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
GARLIC AND OIL SAUTEED ESCAROLE – RECIPES NETWORK
ESCAROLE SAUTEED RECIPE - CARAMELISED BALSAMIC ONIONS
SAUTéED ESCAROLE WITH GARLIC AND LEMON - READER'S DIGEST CANADA
SAUTéED ESCAROLE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH SHALLOTS AND HOT CHILI OIL | RECIPE
SAUTéED ESCAROLE RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
RECIPE: SAUTéED ESCAROLE | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPES - ITALIAN CHRISTMAS EVE RECIPES
ESCAROLE SAUTEED RECIPE - BOAT NOODLE RECIPE
ESCAROLE SAUTEED RECIPE - BUG BALLS
12 ESCAROLE RECIPES THAT EVERYONE WILL LOVE | ALLRECIPES
GARLIC AND OIL SAUTEED ESCAROLE - JUST FARMED
SAUTéED ESCAROLE - COOK EAT LAUGH
RECIPE: SAUTéED ESCAROLE - FOOD NEWS - FOODNEWSNEWS.COM
SAUTEED ESCAROLE RECIPE - GREENBEANMEAL
SAUTEED ESCAROLE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH SHALLOTS AND HOT CHILI OIL – RECIPES NETWORK
ESCAROLE SAUTEED RECIPE - BROCCOLI SPINACH RECIPE
ESCAROLE SAUTEED RECIPE - BALSAMIC GREEN BEANS
SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH SHALLOTS AND HOT CHILI OIL - AMERICAN RECIPES
RECIPE SAUTEED ESCAROLE WITH SHALLOTS AND HOT CHILI OIL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook garlic and oil sautéed escarole?TO MAKE GARLIC AND OIL SAUTE ()EED ESCAROLE: Heat oil in a large, heavy sauteG pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Stir in the escarole and sauteG for 3 minutes or until hot. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
How to cook escarole with beans?When the beans are warmed through, add the escarole and sauté. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced garlic and red pepper flakes (if using). Once the garlic starts to cook and is fragrant, add the escarole leaves to the pan. The leaves should still be a little wet from rinsing.
How do you cook escarole leaves?Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced garlic and red pepper flakes (if using). Once the garlic starts to cook and is fragrant, add the escarole leaves to the pan.
How to cook escarole for Soup?Coarsely chop the escarole leaves. Once the water has started boiling, add the chopped escarole, and simmer for about 5-7 minutes. The total time will vary based on how tough the leaves are. Notice how the volume reduces. Meanwhile, over medium heat, drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat.