SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
This hearty and delicious dish is actually diet-friendly! The recipe was printed in a local newspaper about 10 years ago; however, the recipe is identical to one found in the "Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library: Healthy Cooking" by John Phillip Carroll. I recommend serving this over rice.
Provided by D. Todd Miller
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Peel the carrot, quarter it lengthwise and then cut crosswise into pieces 1/2 inch thick. Set aside with the onion and the mushrooms.
- Coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the chicken breast halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until browned (about 2 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add oil. When hot but not smoking, add the carrot, onion, and mushrooms and cook briskly, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are lightly browned (about 7 minutes).
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fully blended (about 2 minutes longer).
- Add the broth and the tarragon (if desired) and bring to a boil, stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan, pushing them down into the liquid. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken breasts are opaque throughout (when cut open with a knife) and the vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 274.7, Fat 9.3, SaturatedFat 1.5, Cholesterol 65.8, Sodium 764, Carbohydrate 14.8, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 4.2, Protein 32.6
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Coat both sides of chicken breasts with oregano and cayenne pepper and place on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine. Cook and stir until vegetables shrink down a bit, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and cracked black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low to low; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour mushroom mixture on top of the chicken. Continue baking until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 8 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken and cook until cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 301.6 calories, Carbohydrate 8.8 g, Cholesterol 100.5 mg, Fat 13.6 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 35.2 g, SaturatedFat 7.4 g, Sodium 519.4 mg, Sugar 4 g
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH SAUTEED MUSHROOMS & CREAMED SPINACH RECIPE - (4.1/5)
Provided by á-26577
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle the garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper on both sides of the chicken. Bake for 16 minutes. Meanwhile, make the creamed spinach. Over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add in the onions and saute 2-3 minutes. Add in the spinach and garlic. It will shrink ridiculously. When it's cooked through, stir in the cream cheese and parmesan cheese. Continue cooking and stirring until the cream cheese is melted. Remove from heat. For the mushrooms, melt butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Put the mushrooms in and cook until browned all over. Don't season with salt until they are browned or they will never brown. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add in the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until most of the wine is cooked out. Flip the chicken pieces over. Divide the spinach and mushrooms over the top of each breast. Lay two slices of cheese over each piece of chicken. Cook another 12-14 minutes or until cheese is browned and chicken is done.
CRAIG CLAIBORNE'S SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
A classic of his Mississippi childhood, Craig Claiborne's smothered chicken made its debut in The Times in 1983, accompanied by mushrooms and small onions that give it a slightly more metropolitan flavor. (You could always omit these if you have neither on hand.) The basic idea is to split a chicken down the back and cook it whole in a skillet over butter, with a weighted plate on top to insure a crisp skin, and rich gravy. In terms of temperature and time, the Southern gospel of low and slow is key to achieving maximum smother.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories dinner, times classics, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Craig Claiborne believed a black iron skillet to be essential for the authentic preparation of this dish. Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Select a skillet large enough to hold the chicken comfortably when it is opened up as for broiling. Fold the chicken wings under to hold them secure.
- Melt half the butter in the pan and add the chicken skinside down. Cover the chicken firmly with a plate that will fit comfortably inside the pan. Place a heavy can, stone or brick on the top of the plate to weight it down. Cook over low heat, checking the skin side of the chicken, until it is nicely browned, approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove weight and plate and weights. Pour off most of the fat from the pan and add the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Turn the chicken skin-side up.
- Scatter the mushrooms over the chicken. Scatter the onions around it. Add the bay leaf, thyme, wine and chicken broth. Replace the plate and the weights and continue cooking over low heat about 45 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken to a warm platter. Spoon the mushrooms and onions around the chicken. Cook down the pan liquid until reduced by half. Pour this over the chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 761, UnsaturatedFat 26 grams, Carbohydrate 31 grams, Fat 47 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 49 grams, SaturatedFat 17 grams, Sodium 1496 milligrams, Sugar 14 grams, TransFat 1 gram
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH SPINACH, POTATOES, AND MUSHROOMS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil a baking dish.
- Combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, poultry seasoning, salt, and black pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Shake off excess breading.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cook and stir potatoes in the same skillet until almost tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Add butter to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add green onions and garlic and saute until garlic is browned, about 3 minutes. Add soup, broth, and sherry. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and potatoes in the baking dish. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 440.8 calories, Carbohydrate 37.3 g, Cholesterol 94.3 mg, Fat 14.6 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 39.1 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 723 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Blend flour, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and allspice in small bowl. Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then with enough of remaining flour mixture to coat.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet. Sauté until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Add mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to skillet. Sauté until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in reserved 1 tablespoon flour mixture; cook 1 minute. Add cream and broth and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Return chicken and any collected juices to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and gravy thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
DIJON CHICKEN SMOTHERED IN MUSHROOMS
Betty Crocker's Diabetes Cookbook and Heart Healthy Cookbook share a recipe! Dijon and mushrooms turn boring chicken into tasty chicken that can be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper, place each chicken breast smooth side down; gently pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick. In shallow pan, stir together flour, salt and pepper.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Coat both sides of chicken with flour mixture. Cook chicken in hot oil 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken to serving plate; cover to keep warm.
- Stir broth into skillet. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms and mustard. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with thyme.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240, Carbohydrate 8 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 27 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 750 mg, Sugar 0 g, TransFat 0 g
SPINACH AND MUSHROOM SMOTHERED CHICKEN
Chicken breasts stay nice and moist tucked under a blanket of melted cheese. It's extra special to serve but is not tricky to make. -Katrina Wagner, Grain Valley, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat grill or broiler. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and green onions until tender. Stir in spinach and pecans until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat; keep warm., Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Grill, covered, on an oiled grill rack over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat on a greased broiler pan until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes per side. Top with cheese; grill or broil until cheese is melted. To serve, top with mushroom mixture.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 203 calories, Fat 9g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 68mg cholesterol, Sodium 210mg sodium, Carbohydrate 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
MUSHROOM SMOTHERED CHICKEN
This is too good to pass up! A 5-Star, I promise. It's easy and presents beautifully over my Instant Gnocchi (#113377) or a toasted baguette. A BH&G recipe.
Provided by SmHerndon
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a plastic bag combine flour, salt, and black pepper; then add chicken pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a 12-inch skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to skillet and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits.
- Return chicken to pan and add white wine or chicken broth, broth, basil, and thyme.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and remove chicken; cover and keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium and gently boil sauce, uncovered, for 5 minutes- if desired, stir in whipping cream.
- Serve chicken and sauce over toasted baguette slices and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
SUNNY'S EASY SMOTHERED CHICKEN
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and more olive oil if needed and saute until lightly browned and tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Let cook until the onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in the flour and mustard and cook for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the beef stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the grilled chicken breasts, then cover the skillet and turn down the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions. Remove the rice to a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons parsley. Place rice on a platter, then top with the chicken and mushroom sauce. Garnish with the remaining fresh parsley.
SMOTHERED GARLIC CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
Tender juicy chicken thighs smothered in a creamy garlic sauce with mushrooms and garlic all finished off with delicious melted cheese.
Provided by Siobhan (Slimming Eats)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c, 425f or gas mark 7
- Add the chicken to a bowl with the seasoning and toss to evenly coat.
- Heat a large deep frying pan over a medium high heat (I use one that can go in the oven for less clean up). Spray with cooking oil spray.
- Add the chicken pieces all in one layer and brown on both sides until nice and golden (approx 4-5 minutes per side), Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Spray with a little more spray oil and add in the mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes, scraping up all the flavour that is left in the bottom of the pan from the chicken.
- Add in the garlic and just give a stir to combine evenly, then gradually add in 1/2 cup (120ml) of the chicken stock reducing down each little bit around the mushrooms and garlic until the garlic has really softened and has a lovely golden colour. This will make the garlic lovely a sweet. Don't rush this process or you will burn the garlic and cause it to be bitter.
- Add in the cream cheese and remaining stock (1 cup) and allow to bubble gently stirring as it does, until the cream cheese is all melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Add back in the chicken pieces in a even layer and spoon the sauce all over the top so they are well covered.
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan to the top. then add lid and place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, remove lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Cheese should be all melted and lightly golden and chicken cooked through (chicken should have an internal temp of 165f).
- Sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 365 calories, Carbohydrate 9 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 81 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 21 grams fat, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 42 grams protein, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1 SERVING, Sodium 934 milligrams sodium, Sugar 4 grams sugar, TransFat 0 grams trans fat
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH SPINACH AND MUSHROOMS
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and coat a 9 x 13" pan with olive oil.
- Saute onion until it starts to caramelize then add mushrooms and saute until they start to brown.
- In a small bowl, mix the neufchatel cheese (light cream cheese) and packet of Zesty Italian Dressing mix together until it is well blended.
- Place the chicken breasts in bottom of 9 x 13" pan.
- Divide cream cheese mixture into four even portions and spread on top of each chicken breast.
- Cover contents of the pan with the entire 8 oz bag of fresh spinach (uncooked).
- Evenly distribute the onion and mushroom mixture over the top of the spinach.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the shredded mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan blend cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes and check that internal temperature of largest breast is 170ºF.
- Serve with a nice risotto or rice pilaf.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 462.5, Fat 26.9, SaturatedFat 14.5, Cholesterol 144.7, Sodium 1371.3, Carbohydrate 13.7, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 4.9, Protein 42.7
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM GRAVY
A nice quick entree after a hectic day at work. From Bon Appetit magazine. I saute the chicken longer than the time specified to make sure it's cooked through, or pound the breasts thinner.
Provided by yooper
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Blend flour, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and allspice in small bowl.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of flour mixture.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then with enough of remaining flour mixture to coat.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to skillet.
- Saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon thyme to skillet.
- Saute until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in reserved 1 tablespoon flour mixture; cook 1 minute.
- Add cream and broth and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Return chicken and any collected juices to skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and gravy thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
SMOTHERED HOME-STYLE CHICKEN
I like to serve this fantastic family-style chicken over aromatic basmati rice sauteed in butter for about a minute, then cooked in chicken stock and water. -Billy Hensley, Temperance, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm., In same skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in soup and broth., Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 341 calories, Fat 20g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 81mg cholesterol, Sodium 905mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 24g protein.
You can't go wrong when serving this speedy skillet creation. Top tender chicken breasts with mushrooms, bacon, green onions and cheese for a swift and savory sensation that's sure to become a family favorite. -Penny Walton, Westerville, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with seasonings., In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan., In same pan, cook chicken in remaining oil until bottom is browned, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; top with mushrooms and remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, until chicken is no longer pink, 4-5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 363 calories, Fat 21g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 116mg cholesterol, Sodium 555mg sodium, Carbohydrate 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 40g protein.
CROCK POT SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green pepper, and celery.
- Sauté 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add chicken and cook 6-7 minutes per side or until browned.
- Add to crock pot.
- Combine mushroom gravy mix and milk.
- Stir into chicken mixture in crock pot.
- Add mushrooms and liquid to crock pot.
- Set temperature to LOW and cook 4-6 hours, until chicken cooked through.
More about "smothered chicken with mushrooms recipes"
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP …
CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY - RECIPETIN EATS
SMOTHERED CHICKEN | MCCORMICK
ONE-PAN SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS RECIPE
4.8/5 (4)Total Time 30 minsCategory ChickenCalories 505 per serving
- Combine the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper in a zip-top bag. Add the chicken and shake until coated.
- Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with vegetable oil and heat on medium-high. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until barely golden, 1 minute per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
CHICKEN SMOTHERED IN CREAM WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE
SMOTHERED CHICKEN - EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
SMOTHERED CHICKEN (MUSHROOMS & CREAMED SPINACH) — SALT AND …
EASY SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH BOK CHOY AND MUSHROOMS
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS - EATING ON A DIME
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH CREAMED SPINACH, BACON, MUSHROOMS
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS - YOU MADE THAT?
CROCKPOT SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS - THE SLOW …
FRENCH ONION SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS - LISA G COOKS
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY - MEL'S KITCHEN CAFE
10 BEST SMOTHERED CHICKEN ONIONS MUSHROOMS RECIPES - YUMMLY
CHEESY SMOTHERED MUSHROOM CHICKEN RECIPE | HELLOFRESH
10 BEST SMOTHERED CHICKEN ONIONS MUSHROOMS RECIPES
40 CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS | YELLOWBLISSROAD.COM
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND BACON - COMFORTABLE FOOD
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM SPINACH – …
SMOTHERED CHEESY BAKED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS (LOW CARB)
SMOTHERED CHICKEN - THE DARING GOURMET
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS - THESUPERHEALTHYFOOD
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM GRAVY RECIPE - BON …
BOB'S IGA - RECIPE: SMOTHERED MUSHROOM CHICKEN
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY SLOW COOKER
10 BEST SMOTHERED CHICKEN MUSHROOMS CHEESE RECIPES - YUMMLY
CREAMED SPINACH AND MUSHROOM SMOTHERED CHICKEN
SMOTHERED CHICKEN IN MUSHROOM RAGOUT RECIPE | MYRECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook chicken with mushrooms?Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with seasonings. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan. In same pan, cook chicken in remaining oil until bottoms are browned, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; top with mushrooms and remaining ingredients.
How do you make smothered chicken?Similar to my Mothers Smothered Chicken recipe, except we throw the raw onions and mushrooms, a mix of white and portabella or exotic blend into the dish with the raw chicken, you add chicken broth 1/2, Worcestershire sauce about 1/3 a cup, white wine (a sprinkle) and soy sauce into the glass baking dish with the boneless skinless chicken thighs.
What is smothered cheesy baked chicken with mushrooms?Smothered Cheesy Baked Chicken with Mushrooms is a 5 star meal that is beyond sensational- seasoned baked chicken breasts smothered in caramelized onions, mushrooms and cheese…and its LOW CARB! This one is sure to be a hit! This delicious dinner is high on flavor and low on the carbs! It uses simple ingredients – nothing crazy!
How do you cook mushrooms on the stove top?Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and red wine. Cook and stir until vegetables shrink down a bit, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and cracked black pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low to low; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.