Recipe VIDEO above. Don't settle for a bland lentil soup. Make it right, and you'll have everyone begging for seconds...and thirds! The touch of spices and finishing it off with lemon really lifts this soup to the next level.
Provided by [email protected] Eats
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrot. Cook for 7 - 10 minutes or until softened and the onion is sweet. Don't rush this step, it is key to the flavour base of the soup.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the lemon and salt. Stir.
- Increase heat and bring to simmer. Scoop scum on the surface off and discard (do this again during cooking if required). Place lid on and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Thicken Soup: Using a stick blender, do 2 or 3 quick whizzes to thicken the soup (see video below). Or transfer 2 cups to a blender, let it cool slightly, then hold lid with tea towel and blend then transfer back into pot.
- Add a touch of water if you want to adjust soup consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Grate over the zest of the lemon then add a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve with warm crusty bread slathered liberally with butter!
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 421 g, Calories 311 kcal, Carbohydrate 48 g, Protein 18 g, Fat 5 g, Sodium 111 mg, Fiber 22 g, Sugar 5 g
THE BEST LENTIL SOUP
Brown lentils are the star of this dish. To boost flavor, we used a classic mirepoix-onion, celery and carrot - as well as thyme, bay and oregano for an herby finish. We found the fresh lemon juice and parsley at the end brightened up the soup and added a nice pop of color.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are starting to caramelize and take on a dark brown color, 8 to 10 minutes (this step is important as it will add tons of flavor to your soup!).
- Stir in the tomato paste and garlic and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until the garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add in the lentils, stock, 4 cups water, thyme, bay leaf, oregano, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons salt and a generous amount of black pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the lentils are softened with just a bit of bite, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Puree 2 1/2 cups of the soup in a blender until smooth then stir back into the pot. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Ladle into bowls and garnish with more parsley.
SPICY LENTIL SOUP
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 8 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper; mix in chicken stock and lentils.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce heat to low; simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.9 calories, Carbohydrate 33.7 g, Cholesterol 0.7 mg, Fat 3.5 g, Fiber 15.6 g, Protein 13.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 711.3 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
FAVORITE LENTIL SOUP
Lentil soup is a favorite in the Middle East. It is often the first dish used to break the day of fasting during Ramadan. My husband loves it anytime of year, especially on cold days. Serve with grissini, or garlic croutons. Can be reheated, but may need to be thinned with heavy cream or water. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Provided by ALMA-LOU
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place lentils into a pressure cooker, and cover with about 1 inch of water. Add onion and oil, cook for 10 minutes and then turn off heat and let set for 10 minutes.
- Place lentil mixture, cumin, and pepper into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer pureed soup into a large stock pot and return to heat. Right as soup is ready to boil add onion soup mix, stirring until well mixed. Simmer until soup has a thick creamy consistency.
- Prior to serving add lemon juice and chopped parsley for a little flavor and garnish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.2 calories, Carbohydrate 34.2 g, Fat 7.5 g, Fiber 15.8 g, Protein 13.1 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 314.6 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, potatoes, diced tomato, dried lentil, vegetable broth, bay leaf, cumin, salt, pepper
Provided by Rachel Gaewski
Yield 5 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large pot, add the oil and onion and cook over medium heat until semi-translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, and cumin, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and add salt and pepper to taste.
LENTIL SOUP (TRULY GOOD AND EASY - EAT YOUR LENTILS!)
A wonderful lentil recipe and very, very easy to make. Lentils are one of my favourite pulses. I'm sure this soup will make them one of yours. Freezes beautifully to provide you with dinner later on down the line when time short and you want a meal on the table - fast!
Provided by evelynathens
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Cook onions in oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened; add garlic, celery and carrots.
- Cook vegetables 10-15 minutes, until softened.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until lentils are tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 220.8, Fat 8.3, SaturatedFat 1.3, Sodium 1059.3, Carbohydrate 26.5, Fiber 6.9, Sugar 10, Protein 9.5
LENTIL SOUP II
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil and onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the broth and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add the lentils, sauce and seasoning. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 154.7 calories, Carbohydrate 21.7 g, Fat 3 g, Fiber 10.3 g, Protein 10.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 582.2 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
SOUPED UP LENTILS
This is for lentil lovers. When I saw the RSC#9 ingredients, I knew I had to come up with a recipe for lentil soup or dahl. This is a bit of both -- a thick-ish lentil soup or a watery dahl. It is very quick and easy to make, and very warming on a wintry day. Use vegetable stock to make it a completely vegetarian dish.------
Provided by Leggy Peggy
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Put all but the last three ingredients in a large saucepan, stir well and bring to a boil.
- After 3-4 minutes on the boil, lower heat to a fast simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon off and discard any scum on the surface.
- Add the vermicelli and cook for a further 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- If you like, you can buzz this up in the food processor, but it's really not necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, cilantro (if desired) and more black pepper (if desired).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 344.3, Fat 6.4, SaturatedFat 2.4, Cholesterol 13.4, Sodium 609.1, Carbohydrate 53.1, Fiber 6.7, Sugar 5.8, Protein 19.5
More about "souped up lentils recipes"
27 BEST LENTIL RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
10 EASY AND DELICIOUS LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - KITCHN
35 BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - HOW TO MAKE EASY LENTIL …
SOUPED UP RECIPES – BETTER THAN TAKEOUT
10 BEST LENTIL SOUP WITH CANNED LENTILS RECIPES
21 LENTIL RECIPES THAT GO WAY BEYOND JUST SOUP AND …
FRENCH LENTIL SOUP - ONCE UPON A CHEF
BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
10 BEST BROWN LENTILS LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - YUMMLY
LIVELY UP YOURSELF LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - 101 COOKBOOKS
25 LENTIL SOUPS THAT ARE BOWL-LICKING GOOD - MYRECIPES
LENTIL SOUP – RECIPE WONDERLAND
SWEET POTATO LENTIL SOUP (VEGAN & VEGETARIAN) - VEGAN RECIPES BY …
CLASSIC LENTIL SOUP RECIPE (STEP-BY-STEP - HOW TO COOK.RECIPES
LENTIL SOUP (QUICK AND EASY) - SLENDER KITCHEN
HOW TO MAKE EASY LENTIL SOUP | TASTE OF HOME
BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
GOING BEYOND SOUP: 10 SATISFYING RECIPES MADE WITH LENTILS
27 COZY LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - TASTE OF HOME
HOMEMADE LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
LENTIL SOUP (BEST SEASONINGS!) - CHELSEA'S MESSY APRON
RED LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | SIDECHEF
ITALIAN LENTIL SOUP - SAVORING ITALY
THE BEST SPICES FOR LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - GUARANTEED TO MAKE YOUR …
HEALTHY AND EASY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE FOR A WARM MEAL | SHAPE
LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
VERY BEST LENTIL SOUP - DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
18 BEST LENTIL RECIPES – THE KITCHEN COMMUNITY
SOUPED UP LENTILS RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE | RECIPES, LENTIL …
OUR 15+ BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | EATINGWELL
LENTIL RECIPES - RED, GREEN, SOUPS & MORE | TASTE OF HOME
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #soups-stews #beans #pasta #potatoes #vegetables #dietary #lentils #pasta-rice-and-grains
You'll also love