SOURDOUGH TACO TWIST BREAD
A wonderful sourdough, taco flavored bread! My son from Mississippi always wants to go to Amish country when he comes home to obtain the dry sour cream sauce mix. He has a start from my 36 year old starter and this is the only bread he will make! This recipe is from "The sourdough cookbook", by Rita Davenport. preparation time is a guess.. Note: you may substitute Liptons dry onion soup mix for the sour cream powder, and cheddar cheese can be used instead of parmesan.
Provided by Lou6566
Categories Sourdough Breads
Yield 1 loaf, 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Set out the sourdough starter,and let it come to room temperature.
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water, and set aside to soften for 5 minutes.
- Prepare Taco filling:.
- Mix together 1/4 cup melted butter, taco seasoning mix, and the dried minced onion. Set aside.
- Stir softened yeast mixture into sourdough mixture. Add salt, oil and sour cream sauce mix.Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 8-10 minutes, or til smooth and elastic.
- roll out dough into a 16X12 inch rectangle. cut lengthwise into three strips. spread filling on each strip, leaving 2 inch on the long side of each strip uncovered. Starting with covered long edge, roll up each strip jelly roll fashion. Pinch ends to seal.
- Place strips sid by side on greased baking sheet. Keeping seam sides inside, braid strips into one long braid.Lightly pinch ends together.
- cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 50-60 minutes, or til doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Beat in 1 Tablespoon water. Brush egg mixture over surface of loaf several times as dough rises.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf 40-45 minutes or til golden brown. After 30 minutes, if loaf is golden brown, cover with a tent of foil to prevent further browning . Remove from baking sheet. Serve warm or cold, tho I prefer warm . Makes 1 loaf.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.7, Fat 11.9, SaturatedFat 4.4, Cholesterol 33.2, Sodium 409.6, Carbohydrate 30.4, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 0.8, Protein 5.3
SAVORY SOURDOUGH BABKA
This Savory Sourdough Babka is made with the tangy dough of naan bread, and filled with cilantro, garlic, and cheese. The twisted and layered design of a babka maximizes delicious filling distribution and makes for a beautiful presentation that is actually quite easy to achieve.
Provided by Melissa Johnson
Number Of Ingredients 34
- Mix all of the dough ingredients together. The dough will be slightly tacky.
- Either let rise slowly in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or set out at room temperature for 4-6 hours. Any combination of room temperature and cold retarding is fine. For the longer cold fermentation, you might flip the dough after a day or so to prevent a dryer top layer. The dough should grow to be about 150% the original size.
- When your dough is finished with the bulk fermentation, prepare your filling. The savory fillings can be done in a food processor, blender or by hand. The chocolate-cinnamon filling is best done in a stand mixer (paddle attachment) or by hand.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured counter. Flour the top of the dough and press it into a rectangle, roughly 10x13 inches.
- Flour the top of the dough again, and flip it over. Then lightly flour the new top of the dough, gently brushing the flour onto the surface of the dough just so it isn't tacky. This flipping and flouring is to make rolling and cutting the dough easier.
- Spread the filling on the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch empty on one of the short sides. You can dampen this stripe with a wet fingertip to help adhesion.
- Roll from the dry short side, and let the rolled dough rest on the seam for a few minutes.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Using kitchen scissors (or a knife), cut down the middle of the roll.
- Make an X with the two strands of dough (see gallery below), then twist the top strand under the bottom strand. Do this both above and below the X. Pinch the ends together.
- Using a bench scraper and/or spatula, scoop up the twisted dough and place it into the parchment-lined loaf pan. Your long twist will scrunch up during this process, allowing it to fit into the loaf pan.
- Cover and let proof for about an hour at room temperature, or 8-10 hours in the coldest part of your refrigerator.
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Brush the loaf with milk (or egg) and sprinkle with more cheese if you want.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until the inside of the loaf is above 190F. Let cool in the pan on a rack for about 30 minutes, then remove from the pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- Instructions for Making Naan
- At the end of the bulk ferment in the instructions above, scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured counter.
- Roll the dough into a tube and cut it in 8-10 pieces (~680g total dough weight).
- Start warming up a cast iron frying pan 10" or bigger on your stove at medium heat.
- Roll out a dough piece into a circle (ish) shape about 1/4 inch thick. Flour your rolling pin and counter as needed.
- Brush the top of the rolled-out dough with water.
- Place in the hot frying pan, water side down.
- When the naan has bubbles all over the top and is starting to curl under at the edges, then flip it over.
- Optional: You can brush the naan with butter before flipping, but if you find your brush is popping bubbles, wait until the naan is already cooked for this step or skip it altogether if you want.
- Cook until both sides have dark golden brown areas. You can roll out each naan while cooking the previous naan and be done in about 20 minutes. Keeping the process moving also prevents the pan from overheating. You can also lower the heat if you fall behind. Your first naan might be a little unattractive as you gauge how hot you want your pan to be and when to flip.
- Cool on a rack. You can serve immediately, store loosely wrapped in paper or plastic on the counter, or freeze in a plastic bag with small pieces of parchment paper between each flatbread.
More about "sourdough taco twist bread recipes"
SOURDOUGH BREAD TWISTS | KAREN'S KITCHEN STORIES
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
8 SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPES THAT USE A STARTER | ALLRECIPES
TRY THIS SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPE TO REAP ITS HEALTH ...
SOURDOUGH TORTILLAS - PIES AND TACOS
4.7/5 (40)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory TacosCalories 95 per serving
- Mix sourdough starter, water, oil, salt, baking powder, and 4 cups of flour in the bowl of a stand mixer and knead with the dough hook for 4-6 minutes, until dough comes together in a smooth, non-sticky ball. If it’s too sticky, start adding the remaining cup of flour until you obtain the necessary consistency. You may not use the whole cup of flour, so just go slowly until you reach a dough that isn't too sticky or too dry.
- Once you’re done kneading, place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into about 32 equal pieces. I use a scale to measure out my dough and I usually go for 30 grams per piece.
TACO PARTY BREAD - THE GIRL WHO ATE EVERYTHING
4.7/5 (3)Category AppetizerCuisine MexicanTotal Time 20 mins
- Add 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Using a serrated knife, cut 1 inch slices in the bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting all the way through. It’s a little tricky going the second way but the bread is forgiving.
SOURDOUGH BREAD | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 1Total Time 50 minsCategory Family Store Cupboard RecipesPublished 2020-05-18
- The night before you want to bake, make the levain starter. Pour 50ml of tepid water into a large mixing bowl. Use your fingers to gently stir in the mature sourdough starter until fully dissolved, then repeat with the flour until smooth and combined.
- Leave, covered, in a warm place for at least 8 hours – it’s ready when lots of bubbles appear on the surface and the dough has a milky-sweet aroma.
- The next day, to make the final dough, pour 325ml of tepid water into a large mixing bowl and add 100g of the levain, which should float (the remaining levain can be fed and used as a new sourdough starter, or gifted to a friend).
- Now add the salt and 25ml of tepid water, scrunching them into the dough until fully combined. Set aside, covered, in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Wet your hand slightly and give the dough four folds in the bowl, one at each ‘corner’. This is one turn. Repeat this process another three times at 30-minute intervals, turning the dough four times in total across 2 hours.
- To shape the loaf, tip the dough onto a clean surface and gently dust the top with a handful of semolina flour. Roughly shape into a round, being careful to keep as much air in the dough as possible.
- Dust a basket or cane banneton with semolina flour (or you can simply use a medium bowl lined with a clean, floured tea towel). Lightly flour the dough again and flip it over, so the flour side is on the worktop.
- Cover the dough with a shower cap (or oiled cling film) and allow to rest for 1 to 2 hours, or until increased in size by a quarter and looking bubbly.
- Place a heavy lidded casserole pot on the bottom shelf of the oven, then preheat to full whack (240ºC/464ºF/gas 9).
- Bring your loaf out of the fridge and scatter semolina over the top. Working carefully, remove the hot pot from the oven, take off the lid and gently tip your dough out into the pot, so now the pattern should be the right way up.
SEVEN SOURDOUGH RECIPES THAT AREN'T BREAD - BOSTON MAGAZINE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Sourdough Pretzels. If you have kids, rolling out these golden-brown beauties is a great way to keep them occupied. Sprinkle them with your choice of topping—salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning are all good options.
- Sourdough Cinnamon Muffins. No need to wait for the dough to rise: These fresh muffins are ready in just 30 minutes. The recipe calls for spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, but would also be excellent with raisins or nuts added to the batter.
- Sourdough Pancakes. These fluffy pancakes can be whipped up on a Sunday morning in as little as 10 minutes. Flip them when they begin to bubble on top and then cook for one to two more minutes.
- Chocolate Sourdough Cake. Plan ahead when you want to make this cake—the starter, flour, and water need to sit together the night before you bake. For an extra-decadent dessert, add in some dark chocolate chips or a tablespoon of espresso powder to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- Sourdough Banana Bread. Looking for a healthy snack? Whip up this naturally sweet banana bread, which contains very little added sugar. To amp up the flavor, try stirring chocolate chips, pecans, or walnuts into the batter and topping the finished product with a light spread of grass-fed butter.
- Sourdough Tortillas. Taco night will be even tastier with a stack of homemade tortillas. Use a rolling pin to shape the dough, or a pasta machine if you have one.
- Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers. Featuring whole wheat and a little honey, this recipe mimics the taste of Wheat Thins. Once the crackers are cut out of the dough, drizzle with olive oil, lightly sprinkle with sea salt, and then bake until they’re medium-brown in color.
14 BEST SOURDOUGH RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
- Basic Sourdough Starter. Sometimes called "friendship bread" because the starter grows so much that you can share it with your friends, sourdough starter is easier than you might think.
- Rye Sourdough Bread. Using rye flour instead of regular all-purpose flour gives this hearty loaf a denser texture and nuttier flavor. It requires a sourdough starter, so it does take some time, but the result will be well worth it.
- Russian Dark Rye Sourdough. Make this dark rye sourdough from Russia to accompany a rich soup, as a grilled cheese, or a base for pickled herring or other spreads.
- Sourdough Beer Bread. Just four ingredients stand between you and this yeasty, hop-scented bread. Beer and sourdough just make sense together, because yeast and hops are a match made in heaven.
- Sourdough Pancakes. Let's think beyond bread—these sourdough pancakes might just become your favorite go-to sourdough recipe. They offer just the right mix of sweetness and tang, all with a tender, chewy bite.
- German Dinkelbrot Spelt Sourdough Bread. Don't get intimidated by the multiple steps in this dinkelbrot, or spelt, rye, and sourdough bread recipe. It comes out nutty and light with a unique, hearty texture from spelt flour, an ancient grain that some say digests easier than wheat.
- Rye Pumpernickel Bread. Pumpernickel bread hails from the Northwest of Germany, where it originally came from rye berries and flour soaked and simmered then baked for 24 hours.
- Whole Wheat Sourdough. Traditionally, this country bread or landbrot was made in a communal oven and loaves were big enough to last at least a week, or until the next baking day.
- Potato Flake Sourdough. This variation of a Friendship bread sourdough starter uses potato flakes as part of the base. It can go on pretty much indefinitely, as long as you remember to feed it regularly.
- Basic Sourdough Loaf. You've birthed and nurtured your starter. You've watched it bubbling away and started smelling that delicious, funky yeast. Now what?
36 RECIPES THAT START WITH SOURDOUGH BREAD | TASTE OF HOME
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
SOURDOUGH CHOCOLATE TWIST BREAD | BEWITCHING KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
SOURDOUGH SANDWICH BREAD (NO ADDED YEAST) - A PINCH OF HEALTHY
5/5 (2)Category Basics, Breads, Side DishCuisine AmericanCalories 128 per serving
NAVAJO TACOS WITH SOURDOUGH FRY BREAD - HOMESPUN OASIS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
ARTISAN SOURDOUGH BREAD - A BEGINNER'S GUIDE - TASTES OF ...
4.7/5 (21)Category BreadServings 16Calories 118 per serving
SOURDOUGH CHEESE BREAD RECIPE (NO STARTER REQUIRED ...
4.8/5 (4)Total Time 9 hrs 45 minsCategory Yeast BreadCalories 284 per serving
BASIC SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPE | CULTURED PALATE
5/5 (7)Total Time 4 hrs 35 minsCategory Breads, FermentedCalories 208 per serving
'SOURDOUGH' RECIPE PATH TO JAMES BEARD GLORY
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
13 SOURDOUGH, TACOS, BREAD IDEAS | SOURDOUGH, RECIPES, FOOD
THE BIG FLUFFY ROUND SOURDOUGH BREAD | DELIGHT BAKING
12 SOURDOUGH GRISSINI TWISTS IDEAS | SOURDOUGH ...
SOURDOUGH TACO TWIST BREAD RECIPE
THE WORLD’S SIMPLEST SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPE! - YOUTUBE
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SOURDOUGH BREAD | DEAR TEST KITCHEN
SOURDOUGH BREAD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
SOURDOUGH TACO TWIST BREAD - TFRECIPES.COM
#time-to-make #course #preparation #sourdough #breads #yeast #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions