REAL SPANISH OMELETTE
- Scrape the new potatoes or leave the skins on, if you prefer. Cut them into thick slices. Chop the onion.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large frying pan, add the potatoes and onion and stew gently, partially covered, for 30 mins, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are softened. Strain the potatoes and onion through a colander into a large bowl (set the strained oil aside).
- Beat the eggs separately, then stir into the potatoes with the parsley and plenty of salt and pepper. Heat a little of the strained oil in a smaller pan.
- Tip everything into the pan and cook on a moderate heat, using a spatula to shape the omelette into a cushion.
- When almost set, invert on a plate and slide back into the pan and cook a few more minutes.
- Invert twice more, cooking the omelette briefly each time and pressing the edges to keep the cushion shape. Slide on to a plate and cool for 10 mins before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 516 calories, Fat 43 grams fat, SaturatedFat 7 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 23 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 12 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
SPANISH POTATO OMELET
There's nothing too fancy about this rustic Spanish style omelet, just lots of hearty goodness from crispy fried potatoes and onions. Chopped tomatoes and green onions lend even more flavor and color.
Provided by PATTY5
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle potatoes lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and crisp.
- Once the potatoes are golden, stir in the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs together with salt and pepper. Pour eggs into pan and stir gently to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook until eggs begin to brown on the bottom.
- Loosen bottom of omelet with a spatula, invert a large plate over the pan, and carefully turn the omelet out onto it. Slide the omelet back into the pan with the uncooked side down. Cook until eggs are set. Garnish omelet with tomato and green onion and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 252 calories, Carbohydrate 10.7 g, Cholesterol 124 mg, Fat 21.5 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 3.5 g, Sodium 53.6 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
SPANISH POTATO OMELET (TORTILLA DE PATATAS)
The Spanish word fro Omelet is Tortilla, although it is nothing like the Mexican tortilla! A quick, delicious Brunch or weekday dinner doesn't get much easier than this! Zaar World Tour 8
Provided by pammyowl
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Fry bacon in 10 inch skillet until crisp. Remove bacon, drain all but 4 tablespoons of fat from pan.
- Add potato and onion, cook and stir until the potatoes are tender and golden, about ten minutes.
- Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon back to the pan, add eggs.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW until the eggs are set, perhaps 10 minutes more. Garnish with parsley.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Be sure not to overcook, it will get rubbery! Eggs cook themselves even after they are off the heat, as I'm sure you know.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 214.7, Fat 12.6, SaturatedFat 4.2, Cholesterol 287.2, Sodium 646.8, Carbohydrate 12.6, Fiber 1.7, Sugar 1.9, Protein 12.2
TORTILLA DE PATATAS (SPANISH OMELETTE)
- Peel potatoes, and slice thinly. Place inside microwave proof container and drizzle with olive oil. Microwave covered for about 15 minutes, stopping every 5 minutes or so to mix the potatoes. You have now cooked the potatoes using only a little bit of oil instead of the traditional frying. In a pan, saute the onion in olive oil to taste: from soft and translucent to caramel colour to crispy. Reserve. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, add salt and pepper. Start with four eggs. Add the potato and the onion to the bowl. Mix until the potato is well coated with the egg. The mixture should be thick. If there is not enough egg to soak the potatoes, beat the other two eggs in another bowl and add them. Heat a pan, about 6 inches in diameter, with a generous amount of oil, to medium heat. This is not even a finger of oil, it's about the amount used to make any omelette. When the pan is hot, add the egg mixture. As the egg sets, scrape the bottom of the pan and shake it a bit to move the uncooked portion to the bottom. Do this a few times and then just let it cook with a lid on about 7 minutes. Here comes the hard part, flipping it. Make sure the bottom of the tortilla is not attavhed to the pan. Use a very flat plate or lid, and invert the tortilla onto it. Add a little more oil to the pan. Then gently slide the tortilla, raw side down, back into the pan. Use a utensil to make the edges neat. Continue to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes more. The tortilla should be set, just dry but not dried out. Invert onto serving plate. If there has been any pan stickage, serve most attractive side up. Allow to cool before serving. Cut into small squares and serve as finger food. Can be accompanied by Alioli sauce or bread, but is great alone.
TORTILLA DE PATATA (SPANISH POTATO OMELET)
There are so many versions of this emblematic tapa that can be found all over Spain. I know, because I eat my own weight in them, wherever I go! Every region and household have their own special way of preparing this dish and it can get quite controversial as to which is the true, authentic Tortilla de Patata in Spain. This is my favorite make-at-home version adapted from many different recipes over the years. Some recipes don't call for onions but I love the sweetness and depth of flavor that caramelized onions give to the dish. It's a stunning but simple combination of flavors and textures. If you have any left over, this tortilla is also fantastic sliced into thin slices and stuffed into a fresh baguette with aioli, a homemade garlic mayonnaise , and some mild, small green peppers, either fried in olive oil, or roasted and peeled and sprinkled with some fine flaked sea salt.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Heat the olive oil to medium-high heat in a 12-inch cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potato slices, season with salt and cook over low and slow heat until the potatoes are softened and lightly golden brown around the edges, 30 to 40 minutes, gently shaking the pan from time to time to prevent the potato slices from sticking. When the potatoes are ready, reserve 2 tablespoons of the olive oil from the skillet (now infused with the flavor of those onions and potatoes) and drain the potatoes in a colander or on a paper towel.
- Beat the eggs with a generous pinch of salt in a large bowl for about 1 minute. Add the drained caramelized potatoes and onions and stir with a fork to lightly break up the potatoes (this will give the finished Tortilla de Patata a wonderful light fluffy texture). Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved olive oil in the same skillet until very hot. Pour in the egg and potato mixture and cook on one side, gently shaking the pan occasionally, until the underside is set and very lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a plate to cover the pan, carefully invert the omelet onto the plate and then gently slide the omelet back into the pan to cook on the other side until just set and light golden brown, about 5 minutes more. Do not overcook. This Tortilla de Patata is best when barely runny in the very center. Serve immediately with some slices of fresh baguette, or make ahead to serve later in the day at room temperature. Enjoy!
TORTILLA DE PATATA (SPANISH POTATO & ONION OMELET)
No doubt about it, the Tortilla Espanola or Spanish Omelet is the most commonly served dish in Spain. It is also called Tortilla de Patata or Potato Omelet. Bars and cafés serve it as a tapa or appetizer, but it is often served as a light dinner in Spanish homes. Because it is easy to transport, the Spanish make bocadillos or sandwiches by placing a piece between two pieces of a baguette.
Provided by Helenic Hottie
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Cut the peeled potatoes in half lengthwise. Then, with the flat side on the cutting surface, slice the potato in pieces approximately 1/8" thick. Make sure to separate the pieces that stick together. It is not necessary to slice the potatoes paper thin and it is best not to use a food processor because most will slice the potatoes too thin. If you slice them a bit thick, don't worry - it will simply take a bit longer for them to cook.
- Peel and chop the onion into 1/4" pieces. Put potatoes and onions into a bowl and mix them together. Salt the mixture.
- In a large, heavy, non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Drop a single piece of potato into the oil to ensure it is hot enough to fry. Carefully place the potato and onion mixture into the frying pan, spreading them evenly over the surface. The oil should almost cover the potatoes. You may need to turn down the heat slightly, so the potatoes do not burn.
- Note: If the oil is too hot, the potatoes will brown rapidly on the outside, but still be raw on the inside.
- Leave in pan until the potatoes are cooked. If you can poke a piece of potato with a spatula and it easily breaks in two, your potatoes are done. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon or spatula. Some cooks like to place the potato and onion mixture in a colander for a few minutes to allow more oil to drain. If you do this, place a plate underneath to catch the olive oil and you can use it again.
- While the mixture is draining, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat by hand with a whisk or fork. Pour in the potato onion mixture. Mix together with a large spoon.
- Pour 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil into a small, non-stick frying pan (aprox. 9-10") and heat on medium heat. Be careful not to get the pan too hot because the oil will burn - or the tortilla will! When hot, stir the potato onion mixture once more and "pour" into the pan and spread out evenly. Allow the egg to cook around the edges. Then you can carefully lift up one side of the omelet to check if the egg has slightly "browned." The inside of the mixture should not be completely cooked and the egg will still be runny.
- When the mixture has browned on the bottom, you are ready to turn it over to cook the other side. Carefully take the frying pan to a sink. Place a large dinner plate (12") upside down over the frying pan. With one hand on the frying pan handle and the other on top of the plate to hold it steady, quickly turn the frying pan over and the omelet will "fall" onto the plate. Place the frying pan back on the range and put just enough oil to cover the bottom and sides of the pan - approximately 1.5 teaspoons Let the pan warm for 30 seconds or so. Now slide the omelet (which is probably still a bit runny), into the frying pan, using a spatula to catch any egg mixture that runs out. Use the spatula to shape the sides of the omelet. Let the omelet cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the tortilla sit in the pan for 2 minutes.
- Carefully slide the omelet onto a plate! To serve as a main course, slice it into 6-8 pieces like a pie. Serve sliced French bread on the side.
- If you are serving as an appetizer, slice a baguette into pieces about ½ inch think. Cut the tortilla into 1.5" squares and place a piece on top of each slice of bread.
- It is simply delicious served with sofrito, fried tomato sauce that is made all over Spain. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers and olive oil sautéed in a frying pan.
People also searched
More about "spanish potato omelet tortilla de patatas recipes"
BEST SPANISH TORTILLA RECIPE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS ...
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices, I prefer about 1/2 centimeter (some prefer thicker). I use a mandolin to do this quickly and easily.
SPANISH OMELETTE RECIPE (POTATO TORTILLA) - COOKING …
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Dry the potato slices on paper towels. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet. I used 9-inch (23cm) skillet, because I didn't have a smaller one, but you can use 8-inch (20cm) or even 7-inch (18cm) skillet if available. Add the potato slices and onion, and cook covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes. Potatoes should be tender when you prick them with a fork. Remove the potatoes and onion from skillet, draining them in a colander. Put on paper towels. Discard the oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet. Add the egg, potato and onion mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes, on a low heat. Shake the pan occasionally to avoid sticking. Place a slightly bigger lid or a plate on top of the skillet and invert it quickly, flipping the omelette on to the lid.
- Heat another tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet and slide the omelette back in. Cook for 2-3 minutes more over low heat. Enjoy!
TORTILLA DE PATATAS RECIPE (SPANISH OMELETTE) ALL …
See details »
TORTILLA DE PATATAS - SPANISH OMELETTE RECIPE - VISIT ...
See details »
SPANISH OMELETTE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS) | RECIPES FROM …
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped onion and sauté it on medium heat until translucent. The oil should not be too hot, otherwise, the onion pieces might burn. Stir regularly.
- Then add the potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and stir everything so the potatoes are coated in oil. Fry the potatoes on medium heat with the lid on until tender (approx. 10-12 minutes when cut very small). Stir occasionally. To check that the potatoes are done, squish a couple of potato cubes with a spatula to see if they break apart/crumble easily.
- Drain most of the oil using a colander and set the excess oil aside. Return the potatoes and a little bit of the oil (approx. 1-2 tbsp) to the pan which has been removed from heat. Spread out the potatoes in the pan slightly so that they are evenly distributed.
TORTILLA DE PATATAS: HOW TO MAKE A SPANISH FRITTATA
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Add the potatoes, onions and salt cook covered over medium heat, until soft and tender. About 15-20 minutes or longer depending on the potatoes. Taste potatoes now and adjust salt if necessary.
SPANISH OMELETTE - TORTILLA DE PATATA - SIX HUNGRY FEET
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Peel and cut the potatoes. Once the potato is peeled, cut them into long wedges and then slice them into small pieces. The shape will be then similar to a triangle. You can always use a mandolin to cut the potatoes as it will save you time.
- Finely slice the onion and add the onion and cut potatoes onto a baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil on the top, cover with tin foil paper and bake for about 30 minutes at 200C.
- Using a big mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they are combined. When the potatoes and onion are baked, add them into the egg mixture and mix all the ingredients using a big wooden spoon or spatula. Add salt and mix one last time.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to medium heat and pour in the egg and potato mixture. Make sure the mixture is evenly spread out. Leave cooking for a couple of minutes and when the edges are set (it should take around 5-7 minutes), get ready for the most challenging part! First, make sure the egg is not sticking to the pan running a spatula along the outer edge of the tortilla.
TORTILLA DE PATATAS RECIPE | SPANISH OMELETTE — OMAR ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Thinly slice the potato halves, cut side down, so that you end up with half-circle shaped slices. Do the same with the onion.
- Pour the olive oil into a deep frying pan and add the thinly sliced onion. Place over a high heat so you are cooking the onion from cold. Once the onion starts to sizzle (this should take about 5 minutes), add the sliced potatoes.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl but don’t whisk them; check there are no pieces of shell. Add the hot potatoes and onions to the eggs and season with salt while the potatoes are sitting on the top.
- To make the tortilla place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. When the pan is hot add the egg mixture. If you don’t have a non-stick pan add the mixture to a very hot pan but reduce the heat to its lowest setting straight away; this will stop the tortilla sticking to the pan.
- Depending on the depth of your pan and the amount of heat from your stove, the cooking time will vary so you will need to use your judgement. After about 3 minutes you should be able to ease the tortilla from the edge of the pan using a fork or spatula.
SPANISH OMELETTE RECIPE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS) - THE ...
- Peel the potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, then cut in half again while the flat side on the cutting surface. Slices potatoes into thin slices.
- Add olive oil to a 9-inch (23cm) skillet, heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add sliced potatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add sliced onion.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with salt. Add potato and onion and toss to coat. Let mixture sit for about 20 minutes.
- In the same pan where you fried the potatoes, pour back 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil and heat. Pour potato mixture into the pan, cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes.
SPANISH TORTILLA RECIPE (OMELETTE WITH POTATOES)
- Fill a deep frying pan with oil, about 1 inch deep, and heat over high heat. Add the potatoes, reduce heat to medium/high and cook until tender (about 20 minutes). Stir once after about 10 minutes.
- Break the eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, freshly grated black pepper, the parsley (if using), and a splash of water. Beat well with a fork until homogenized.
- When the potatoes are done, transfer them to a plate and drain the oil into a heatproof bowl (be careful since it will be very hot). Return the potatoes to the pan, level them with a spatula and add the eggs. Stir with the spatula and shake the pan to distribute everything evenly.
VEGAN SPANISH POTATO OMELETTE – TORTILLA DE PATATAS – …
- If you wish, you can peel the potatoes (I prefer to leave the skin on). Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, then into 0.5cm / ⅕ inch slices. Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes or until tender, then drain using a colander.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan (skillet) on medium-low heat and cook the onions, stirring now and then.
- Prepare the batter: place the milk, silken tofu, mustard, gram flour, nutritional yeast, cornflour, turmeric and black salt (if using) in a large mixing bowl and blend smooth using a hand blender (alternatively use a jug blender).
SPANISH OMELETTE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS) | POTATO RECIPES ...
3.6/5 (30)Servings 4-6Cuisine VegetarianCategory Spanish See details »
SPANISH POTATO OMELET WITH ROASTED PEPPERS: (TORTILLA …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
POTATO OMELETTE (TORTILLA DE PATATAS) RECIPE : SBS FOOD
3.2/5 (88)Servings 6-8Cuisine SpanishCategory Side See details »
SPANISH OMELETTE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE TORTILLA DE …
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins See details »
TORTILLA DE PATATAS (SPANISH OMELETTE) RECIPE BY …
See details »
SPANISH POTATO OMELET TORTILLA RECIPES
See details »
COUNTRY-STYLE SPANISH POTATO OMELETTE ¨TORTILLA DE …
See details »
HOW TO MAKE A TORTILLA DE PATATAS, EASY SPANISH …
See details »
POTATO SPANISH TORTILLA TAPAS RECIPES
See details »
SPANISH OMELETTE | TORTILLA DE PATATAS RECIPE …
See details »
TORTILLA ESPAñOLA - POTATO OMELET - RECIPES | GOYA FOODS
See details »
You'll also love