SPANISH "FRENCH" TOAST.
Want to use up that old bread rather than throwing it out? Try this recipe, the older the bread the better! I found this on a website and altered it for my family. Due to an egg allergy I cannot try this, but is smelt fabulous!
Provided by cookingpompom
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- If you are using ciabatta bread - 8 slices is the maximum.
- In a saucepan, place the milk,sugar, zests, juices, vanilla and spices. Simmer for 5-7 minutes (it will start to smell amazing!).
- Cool the mix for 5 minutes.
- Add the bread all at once and leave it there to soak up all that goodness, allow a good 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a seperate bowl and in batches, carefully coat the bread.
- In a large heavy based fry pan, add the butter (start with 2 tablespoons) and sizzle over a medium heat until fragrant.
- Add 6 - 8 slices of bread (depending on the size of your pan - don't over crowd it) and cook for 3-4 minutes each side. Add more butter for each batch you make.
- Repeat until all the bread has been fried.
- Place the bread on a plate and sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm.
SPANISH FRENCH TOAST
There is French toast, and then there are torrijas, the Spanish version. The origins of both are undoubtedly the same: yet another way to make good use of bread that's no longer fresh. Though torrijas, like French toast, can be served at breakfast, they can also be a knockout dessert.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories breakfast, easy, quick, main course
Yield 2 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Pour olive oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a broad, deep skillet over medium-high heat; bring it to a temperature of about 350 degrees. When ready, a small cube of bread dropped into oil will sink to bottom, then immediately rise to top.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the milk, salt and sugar in a broad bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. When oil is ready, soak a piece of bread in milk, then dip in egg. Shake off excess liquid, then transfer to oil. Stand back, as it will spatter. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Cook about a minute on each side, turning carefully; bread should be very crisp on edges. When done, transfer to a plate, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately, with honey or maple syrup if you like.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 582, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 86 grams, Fat 20 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 17 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 464 milligrams, Sugar 68 grams, TransFat 0 grams
TORRIJAS- SPANISH FRENCH TOAST
- Beat the eggs, milk and cinnamon together.
- Dip both sides of the slices of bread in the egg mixture and fry in a heavy skillet over moderate heat until browned on both sides.
- Dust liberally with powdered' sugar and serve immediately.
FRENCH TOAST I
There are many, fancy variations on this basic recipe. This recipe works with many types of bread - white, whole wheat, cinnamon-raisin, Italian or French. Serve hot with butter or margarine and maple syrup.
Provided by Jan Bittner
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Beat together egg, milk, salt, desired spices and vanilla.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides. Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240.3 calories, Carbohydrate 33.6 g, Cholesterol 128.3 mg, Fat 6.4 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 10.6 g, SaturatedFat 2.2 g, Sodium 477.7 mg, Sugar 5.6 g
More about "spanishfrenchtoast recipes"
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions