- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter?flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.
- To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.
- Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.
- Use 2 tablespoons of the butter to spread over one side of each slice of bread. On three of the slices, spread a layer of Dijon mustard over the butter, and top each with 4 slices of ham. On the other three, spread mayonnaise, and top each one with 2 slices of Swiss cheese. Press ham and cheese sides of sandwiches together.
- In a flat bottomed dish, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, and water until blended. Set aside.
- Heat remaining butter and vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture, and fry in the oil and butter until browned, flipping to brown on each side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 960.5 calories, Carbohydrate 38.1 g, Cholesterol 283.9 mg, Fat 69 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 45.6 g, SaturatedFat 30.5 g, Sodium 2492.3 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR
Master the croque monsieur with soft sourdough, gruyère, smoked ham and creamy mustard mayo. You'll relish every mouthful of this brunch classic.
Provided by Emma Freud
Categories Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Snack, Treat
Number Of Ingredients 16
- First, make a perfect béchamel sauce. Put the milk, cream, garlic, bay leaves and onion in a small pan over a medium heat and stir together. Heat until nearly boiling, then turn the heat off and leave for 10 mins to infuse. Pass the liquid through a sieve and discard the bay and onion.
- Melt the butter with the flour in another pan and cook over a gentle heat until it smells biscuity. Gradually whisk in the warm milk and bring to a gentle boil, stirring regularly, then add the Dijon mustard, a little grating of fresh nutmeg and some seasoning. It should be a lovely thick creamy sauce with a deep flavour.
- Brush the slices of bread with melted butter. Place them on a baking tray and toast one side under a grill, buttered-side up, until golden. Take them out and heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Turn the bread over and spread each slice with a thin layer of Dijon, followed by a layer of the béchamel. Cover the sauce with grated gruyère, and then a slice of ham. Form the slices into two sandwiches, spread a thin layer of the sauce over the top slice and sprinkle more gruyère on top. Put the sandwiches in the oven and bake for 10-15 mins or until golden. Mix the mustard and mayo together and serve alongside.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 876 calories, Fat 62 grams fat, SaturatedFat 31 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 46 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 6 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 31 grams protein, Sodium 3.7 milligram of sodium
More about "the perfect croque monsieur recipes"
A GUIDE TO THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR - SOMETHING …
Ratings 1Total Time 30 minsCategory LunchVideo Duration 1 min
- In a small pot or pan over medium heat melt butter. Stir in flour to form a paste then very gradually pour in milk, whisking as you go to avoid any lumps forming. Stir in salt, white pepper and nutmeg, then stir in gruyere until it fully melts. Remove from heat.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with butter, then flip over and spread with a thin layer of dijon mustard. Top 2 of the slices with a slice of cheese, then add 2-3 slices of ham. I recommend folding them in to create a bit of height/texture in the sandwich. Top with more cheese, then add bread mustard-side-down (so both sandwiches are buttered on the outside).
- Add the sandwiches to a non-stick pan over low-medium heat. Fry until they turn deep golden on the bottom with the cheese just starting to melt, then flip and fry the other side until golden.
- Spread over béchamel sauce (give it a quick stir over heat if you need to loosen it up) then top with a good sprinkling of parmesan. Place under the grill and broil on high until golden and crisp on top.
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR | SANDWICHES
Author Felicity CloakeEstimated Reading Time 8 mins
CROQUE MONSIEUR TARTINE RECIPE – THYME FOR COCKTAILS
CROQUE MONSIEUR - THE ULTIMATE HAM & CHEESE …
MICHEL ROUX’S AUTHENTIC CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - THE …
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - THE FOREIGN FORK
SIMPLE CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - FOOD REPUBLIC
EASY CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR [VIDEO] | BEST SANDWICH RECIPES, …
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
CROQUE MONSIEUR - BOSSKITCHEN.COM
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR | RECIPE | CROQUE MONSIEUR, BBC …
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE JACQUES PEPIN - THERESCIPES.INFO
CROQUE-MONSIEUR | TASTEMADE
RECETTE CROQUE MONSIEUR BECHAMEL BEST RECIPES
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR - BBC GOOD FOOD MIDDLE EAST
CLASSIC CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR [VIDEO] | YUMMY FOOD, COOKING …
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECETTE FACILE BEST RECIPES
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - BBC FOOD
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR | KEEPRECIPES: YOUR …
TOP FRENCH CHEF’S RECIPE FOR THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR AT …
PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR AND CROQUE MADAME - PUDGE FACTOR
MUSHROOM CROQUE MONSIEUR BEST RECIPES
LE CROQUE MONSIEUR BEST RECIPES
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE | IDIL'S KITCHEN - YOUTUBE
CROQUE MONSIEUR - ANYTIME RECIPE
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - HONEYSUCKLECATERING - YOUTUBE
BEST CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE TO MAKE AT HOME: PASCAL AUSSIGNAC
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR/MADAME RECIPES: HOW TO MAKE THEM …
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE JULIA CHILD - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
MARY BERRY’S CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE - BBC FOOD
GRILLED HAM AND BLUE CHEESE SANDWICH CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPES
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CROQUE MONSIEUR (TOASTED HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH) - THE …
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
CROQUE MONSIEUR - PERFECTITALIANO.COM
NEXT LEVEL CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPES
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR | RECIPE | CROQUE MONSIEUR, BBC …
TOP FRENCH CHEF’S RECIPE FOR THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR AT HOME
CROQUE MONSIEUR RECIPE ATK - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
THE PERFECT CROQUE MONSIEUR | RECIPE CART
The perfect croque monsieur/madame recipes: how to make them at home!1.1K views-03:07
The Perfect Croque Monsieur Recipe | Idil's Kitchen3.3K views-03:55
How To Make Croque Monsieur | Cookery School | Waitrose47K views-06:38
Croque-Monsieur recipe : How to cook French and perfect food with Cécile6.6K views-04:34
Croque monsieur crown: the perfect appetizer!336 views-03:07
Croque Madame Recipe - French Ham, Cheese & Egg Sandwich - Chef Tips5.1K views-06:53
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make croque monsieur?Croque Monsieur is a delicious French ham and cheese sandwich, made with gruyere, parmesan, ham and a simple béchamel sauce, toasted in the oven. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring well until the mixture is smooth.
What to eat in croque monsieur?Croque Monsieur sandwiches are pretty simple. You spread bread slices with a thin layer of béchamel sauce (a white sauce that couldn’t be easier to make–I’m sure you have all of the ingredients you need in your pantry.). Add a layer of ham and cheese, and repeat with another bread slice and more cheese.
Is a croque monsieur the best cheese and ham sandwich?That said, you can be sure that when the French tackle a dish they do so with enthusiasm, and it can't be denied that at its best a croque monsieur is a strong contender for the world's finest cheese and ham sandwich.
How long do you cook Croque Mons in the oven?Sprinkle over the sandwiches. Bake for 42 to 48 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the eggs set. Remove from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving. “Croque Monsieur, a Continental cross between French toast and grilled ham-and cheese, feeds a crowd when you bake it casserole style, in the oven.