VEG BIRYANI | VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE
Veg biryani also known as vegetable biryani is an aromatic rice dish made with basmati rice, spices & mixed veggies. This quick recipe will give you a flavorful vegetable biryani that you can make just under 30 mins. Recipe instructions for IP, pressure cooker & pot.
Provided by Swasthi
Number Of Ingredients 25
- Soak rice for at least 20 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Chop all the veggies, coriander and mint leaves. Keep these aside as well.
- If using cauliflower keep them slightly larger.
- Add oil to a hot pressure cooker or heavy bottom pot.
- Next add bay leaf, star anise, shahi jeera, cloves, cardamoms & cinnamon. Saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add sliced onions and slit green chilies. Fry them stirring often until the onions turn evenly golden or light brown.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and saute for about a minute or until the raw smell has gone off.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes, ⅛ teaspoon salt, yogurt, coriander leaves, mint leaves,red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala.
- Mix all of these and fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins. The tomatoes should break down completely and the raw smell disappear.
- Reduce the flame to low. Drain the water from the rice completely and spread it in a layer evenly over the veggies.
- Measure the water or coconut milk to a separate bowl & add ¼ tsp salt. Mix well and taste the water. It has to be slightly salty.
- Pour the salted water across the sides or edges of the pot.
- If you do not mix up everything then the veg biryani will cook in layers. (However you can also mix up everything and cook just like it is done normally.)
- Optional - Sprinkle 1 tsp ghee, 2 tbsps chopped mint leaves, handful of fried onions & saffron soaked milk. (refer notes)
- For pressure cooking: Cover the cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle on a medium high flame.Turn off the stove. For al dente non mushy veg biryani, I release the pressure manually after 1 to 2 mins using a wooden spatula. When the pressure releases, open the lid and fluff up veg biryani with a fork.
- If cooking in a pot, cook covered on a low flame until the water is absorbed and the veg biryani is cooked fully. Turn off the stove & rest for 15 mins. Serve veg biryani with raita or salan.
- Optionally squeeze lemon juice while serving.
- Press the SAUTE button on your IP and pour oil or ghee to the steel insert.
- Add thinly sliced onions. Spread them to a single layer and saute occasionally until uniformly deep golden. Remove half of these and set aside for later.
- Then add the whole spices and green chili. Then add the ginger garlic paste and saute until a nice smell comes out.
- Add tomatoes, chopped veggies, mint, coriander leaves and sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon salt. Saute until the tomatoes breakdown. This takes about 1 to 2 mins.
- Stir in the garam masala and red chilli powder.
- Press CANCEL button & add yogurt. Deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pot with a spatula. This releases any bits of food stuck there.
- Spread the veggies to a single layer. Next layer the drained rice and level it.
- In another bowl, stir in ¼ teaspoon salt & 1¼ cup water and taste it. It has to be slightly salty. If needed add more.
- Pour the water starting from the sides and then in the center. Do not mix. Ensure all of the rice is under the water.
- Secure the IP with the lid. Position the steam release valve to sealing position.
- Press pressure cook/ manual (set to high pressure) & set the timer for 5 mins. If you double or triple the recipe then set to low pressure with the same cook time. (Alternately you can pressure cook for 4 mins on high pressure setting and wait for 8 mins. Then release the rest manually.)
- When the IP finishes, for aldente cooked vegetable biryani quick release the pressure manually. For softer rice, wait for 5 to 7 mins (natural pressure release) and then release the rest manually with the help of a spoon. Garnish with fried onions. Serve with Raita.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 g, Calories 420 kcal, Carbohydrate 70 g, Protein 7 g, Fat 11 g, Sodium 96 mg, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 2 g
- Melt ghee in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cumin seed, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns; cook until the spices are fragrant, and the cumin seeds begin to pop, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, and cook until the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas, carrot, and potato. Season with chicken bouillon, salt, red chile, black pepper, garam masala, and turmeric. Stir well, then cover, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in 4 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, stir in basmati rice, reduce heat to medium, recover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the rice has softened, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 457.6 calories, Carbohydrate 86.9 g, Cholesterol 16.5 mg, Fat 8 g, Fiber 3.9 g, Protein 9.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 1043.3 mg, Sugar 4.2 g
- Make the rice: Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, over medium-high heat. Add the golden raisins, almonds, turmeric, cumin seed, coriander seed, cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, until toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 1 minute more. Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, (wrap the lid tightly with a kitchen towel), cover, and steam until the rice is tender, 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the vegetables. Melt the butter in a medium straight-sided skillet with a tight-fitting lid, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the golden raisins, almonds, coriander seed, cumin seed, and cardamom and cook, stirring, until toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower, green beans, potatoes, carrots, and salt. Raise the heat to high, pour in the water, and cook, covered, for 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and most of the water has evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes more.
- Add the rice to the vegetable mixture and, using a rubber spatula, stir to combine. Season with salt to taste. Divide the vegetable-rice mixture among plates and top with some of the toasted coconut and almonds. Serve immediately.
SPICED VEGETABLE BIRYANI
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7/fan 200C. Pour the oil into a large roasting tin or ovenproof dish and put in the oven for a couple of minutes to heat through. Add all the vegetables to the tin, except the beans, stirring to coat them in the hot oil. Season with salt and pepper and return to the oven for 15 minutes until beginning to brown.
- While the vegetables are roasting, stir together the stock, curry paste, chilli, saffron and mustard seeds.
- Mix the rice and green beans with the vegetables in the tin, then pour over the stock mixture. Lower the oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 190C. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the lemon juice and check the seasoning, then scatter over the coriander and cashew nuts. Serve with a pile of poppadums and a bowl of raita.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 494 calories, Fat 12 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 89 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 14 grams protein, Sodium 0.99 milligram of sodium
ONE-POT VEGETABLE BIRYANI
Vegetable biryani may be the underdog of biryanis since it's often overshadowed by meatier varieties. But like other formidable yet unsung dishes, this one's adaptability helps it hold its own. Recipes vary across South Asia: Hyderabadi versions are known for their fieriness, while milder, nuttier variations dominate northern regions. This one falls somewhere in the middle. Use any vegetables you have, such as nutty cauliflower, sweet peas and crunchy carrots. Nuts and fresh or dried fruits add a confetti of flavors and textures. This recipe skips the layering typically called for in favor of conveniently stirring everything together. Luckily, using fewer dishes doesn't compromise flavor.
Provided by Zainab Shah
Categories dinner, vegetables, main course, side dish
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Rinse the rice, cover with cold water in a bowl and soak for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat ghee in a large pot over medium until it melts, 30 to 45 seconds. Add bay leaf, star anise, cloves, cardamom and green chiles and fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion and fry, stirring often, until they start turning golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and continue frying and stirring until the raw smell dissipates, about 1 minute. Add turmeric and red chile powder and stir for 30 seconds to toast (don't let them burn). Add tomato and 2 tablespoons water. Add half of cilantro and mint. Continue stirring until the tomato starts to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, potato, cauliflower, green peas, green beans, yogurt and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Drain the rice and add to the pot, along with the lemon juice and garam masala. Stir until everything is evenly mixed. Add the vegetable stock and stir. Cover and cook on medium for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir. Add the rest of the cilantro and mint and the lemon slices. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes. Turn off the stove and let the pot stand for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds and cashews if you like.
Vegetarian recipe from about.com. This is one of my husband's fav vegetarian recipes we have tried. He requests it all the time and even takes the leftovers for lunch. I really wouldn't leave out any ingredients, because the flavors all work so nicely together. The raisins really help to cut the spicy curry. Also, I end up using less of the curry paste, but it depends on your taste and what kind you purchase. If you don't like things too spicy, start off with less and build your way up to suit your taste. Note: Curry paste and powder are not the same and I do not recommend using powder for this recipe. ;)
Provided by FrVanilla
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In saucepan of boiling water, cook lentils for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion until deep golden, 6 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic, curry paste, salt and pepper; sauté until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower, rice, raisins and lentils to coat.
- Add stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas and warm through, 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds (if using).
VEGETABLE BIRYANI (SOUTH AFRICA)
- In a large, heavy skillet or stew pot, fry the onions in butter until they are golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove about 1/3 of the slices and set aside.
- Add to the pot the ginger, garlic and chili paste, and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add the lentils, green peas, carrots and green beans. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes, adding more butter or a bit of oil if needed.
- Add the tomatoes, spices and mint, and stir for 5 minutes.
- Then pour a cup of hot water, cover, and simmer until vegetables are about half cooked.
- Add rice, potatoes, salt and another 4-5 cups of hot water (use the lesser amount if your vegetables have created quite a bit of liquid). Cover again, and cook for another 20-30 minutes until rice is done and water is absorbed.
- To serve, garnish with the reserved onion slices, and pass around a bowl of yogurt as a sauce.
QUICK & EASY VEGETABLE BIRYANI
A great tasting dish that can be put together and cooked in just 15 minutes.
Provided by samjones01
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Add a splash of oil to a saucepan and gently fry onions until soft. Add the frozen vegetables and the rice and stir.
- Add curry paste to the vegetables and mix. Pour over stock and leave to simmer until rice is cooked. Stir from time to time and check consistency of the rice. Add more water if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine saffron and milk in a small bowl; set aside. Place rice in a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir once, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice has absorbed all the water, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook, stirring, until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove half the onions from pan, and reserve. Add remaining tablespoon oil along with the spices, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup water into pan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add green beans, cauliflower, carrots, chickpeas, and salt; reduce heat to a simmer, and cover pan. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add peas, and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Place one-third of the rice in a 3 1/2-quart heavy-bottom casserole or baking dish with a tight-fitting lid. Drizzle half the saffron milk over rice. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half the vegetable mixture to the casserole, leaving liquid behind. Place another one-third of rice on top; drizzle with remaining saffron milk. Repeat with remaining vegetables and rice. Spread reserved onions over the top; sprinkle with cashews.
- Cover, and bake until casserole is heated through and aromatic, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 430 g, Fat 14 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 12 g, Sodium 516 g
VEGETABLE BIRYANI (TEHRI)
Tehri was originally concocted by kings in northern India as a vegetarian equivalent to the Mughals' mutton or chicken biryani. This modern-day version has deliciously soft sweet vegetables and flavorful long-grain rice. Serve with chilled yogurt and spicy curry on the side.
Provided by thesiamesecat
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Place rice in large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add onion, cumin seeds, and bay leaves; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in turmeric, chile powder, and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir rice gently into the pressure cooker until evenly coated with oil. Pour in water and peas. Stir in salt, butter, and garam masala. Seal cooker and bring to high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Release pressure naturally according to manufacturer's instructions. Fluff rice with a fork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 389.4 calories, Carbohydrate 70.5 g, Cholesterol 1.8 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 7.8 g, SaturatedFat 1.7 g, Sodium 616.2 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
More about "vegetable biryani recipes"
RESTAURANT STYLE VEGETABLE BIRYANI - COOK WITH MANALI
5/5 (88)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 533 per serving
- Soak the rice in 3 cups (24 oz) water for 30 minutes. After the rice has soaked, drain the water using a colander.
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add 1 sliced onion to it and cook until they turn golden brown and caramelize.This takes around 8 to 9 minutes. Remove on a plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons milk in a pan. Once warm, add saffron strands (crush it before adding).Let it sit for 10 minutes for that beautiful yellow color. Saffron milk is ready, set it aside.
- Now take a heavy bottom pan. I first grease the bottom of the pan with ghee.Then add a layer of rice (half of the rice). Top with half of fried onion, half of fried cashews and half of cilantro and mint. Add 1/2 teaspoon of rose water. Now place the veggies on top (all of it).
VEG BIRYANI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE VEG BIRYANI | …
5/5 (10)Category MainServings 2Total Time 55 mins
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
HOW TO MAKE QUICK RESTAURANT STYLE VEGETABLE BIRYANI
INSTANT POT VEGETABLE BIRYANI | MY HEART BEETS
VEGAN VEGETABLE BIRYANI - RUNNING ON REAL FOOD
VEGETABLE BIRYANI : AUTHENTIC ROYAL®
VEG BIRYANI | VEG DUM BIRYANI RECIPE » DASSANA'S VEG …
VEGETARIAN BIRYANI RECIPE - QUICK FROM SCRATCH VEGETABLE ...
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE BIRYANI, RECIPE BY MASTERCHEF ...
VEGETABLE BIRYANI: JAMIE OLIVER'S TAKE IS TASTY AND ...
VEG BIRIYANI RECIPE | VEGETABLE BIRYANI IN BANANA LEAF ...
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - HOW TO COOK IN 3 SIMPE STEPS
EASY VEGETABLE BIRYANI - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
BAKED VEGETABLE BIRYANI | TILDA
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - KRISTEN STEVENS | FOOD & WINE
VEGETABLE BIRYANI | TILDA
VEG BIRYANI RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE, HOW TO MAKE VEG BIRYANI ...
RECIPES FOR VEGETABLE BIRYANI | VEG BIRYANI RECIPE STEP BY ...
VEGETABLE BIRYANI - COOKING CIRCLE
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE (THE BEST VEG BIRYANI) - THEFOODTIPS
BEST VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE BIRYANI
EASY VEGETABLE BIRYANI (VEGAN) - EASY PEASY FOODIE
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE (VEG BIRYANI) - VEG VEGAN MEAT
MUGHLAI BIRYANI (WITH VEGETABLES) | DASSANA'S VEG RECIPES
VEGETABLE BIRYANI - TABLE FOR TWO® BY JULIE CHIOU
THE BEST VEG BIRYANI | VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - MY FOOD ...
ROASTED VEGETABLE BIRYANI WITH BAKED TOFU - CONNOISSEURUS VEG
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - JUST-A-DASH-HOLYLAMA-NATURAL ...
VEGETABLE BIRYANI • TAMARIND & THYME
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - BBC FOOD
BIRYANI - WIKIPEDIA
VEGETABLE BIRYANI - PINCH OF NOM
VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE - FASTFOODCOUNTER.BLOGSPOT.COM
VEGETARIAN BIRYANI | FEASTING AT HOME
COOK BOMBAY VEGETABLE BIRYANI IN 30 MINS | SIMPLY COOK
BEST RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE BIRYANI - A STEP BY STEP GUIDE ...
#curries #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #side-dishes #beans #rice #vegetables #asian #indian #oven #easy #potluck #dinner-party #dietary #chick-peas-garbanzos #pasta-rice-and-grains #taste-mood #savory #to-go #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love