NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAKE)
Julekake, a Norwegian Christmas bread, is a holiday favorite that's easy to make at home.
Provided by Carroll Pellegrinelli
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast with warm water to dissolve. In a saucepan, gently heat the margarine or butter with the milk until the margarine melts.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour with the sugar, salt, and ground cardamom.
- Add the yeast and margarine mixture, and combine with an electric mixer. Beat until the batter falls in sheets from beaters.
- Stir in the candied fruit and gradually add the remaining flour.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place (80 to 85 F) until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and place on a pastry board.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place each in a greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Brush the tops of loaves with milk.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Bake at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 368 kcal, Carbohydrate 73 g, Cholesterol 2 mg, Fiber 2 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 225 mg, Sugar 29 g, Fat 6 g, ServingSize One loaf, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
YULEKAKE - NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
This recipe has been in my husband's Norweigan side of the family for generations. It was passed on from his great grandmother to his grandmother and so on. I noticed two recipes already posted in Recipezaar (julekake), but this one is prepared a bit different. It's a very dry fruit bread. Definitely used for dunking in your coffee or slathered with butter. I am not a big fan of it, but I make it at Christmastime for my husband as he adores it.
Provided by Lulu 280529
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 2 loaves, 24-30 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- in a heatproof bowl, put all raisins together and cover with approximately 5 cups of boiling water to soften. set aside.
- mix the 2 packages of dry yeast with 1/2 cup of warm water. mix well and let sit.
- boil 2 cups of milk until scalded. turn down heat to medium and add the 3/4 cup of butter until melted. remove from heat and set aside.
- in a large bowl measure 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 of the container of cardamom. mix well.
- add the two beaten eggs to the dry mixture. then add the milk/butter mixture. gradually add 6 of the 8 cups of flour and the dissolved yeast.
- drain the raisins. add the raisins and citron to the mix. now add the remaining 2 cups of flour.
- time to knead the bread! i use my heavy-duty mixer as it is easier on my hands and back. if manual knead, place dough on floured breadboard and knead completely.
- once the bread is kneaded, place into a large pre-floured bowl and cover with a dish towel or cloth allowing it to rise for 1 hour.
- after the dough has risen, cut it into two loaves. place each into a pre-greased, pre-floured baking loaf pan.
- again, cover each loaf pan and allow to rise for another hour.
- before placing the loaves into a pre-heated 300 degree oven, cut the top of each loaf with an X design, or a fancy cut design of your choice, and brush with 1 beaten egg.
- bake the loaves for 45 minutes at 300 degrees. increase the heat to 325 degrees for the next 30-45 minutes (test after 30 minutes with a toothpick for doneness - make take longer, make take less depending on your oven temperature).
- remove the loaves from the oven and brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- let loaves cool completely before removing from pans.
- note: if you choose to omit the citron, which i do often, use 2 cups each of the golden and regular raisins instead.
JULEKAKE - NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
Christmas for people of Norwegian descent wouldn't be Christmas without sweet gjetost, havarti cheese, smoked fish and flatbrød accompanied by glögg; lefse and limpa bread or julekake, with butter, sugar, fresh lingonberry sauce and cloudberries and some combination of cookies like fattigman bakelse, krumkake, sandbakkels, rosettes, berlinerkranser. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Provided by Molly53
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 3 loaves
Number Of Ingredients 14
- For the glaze: mix ingredients together and brush over bread before baking.
- Soften yeast in water; add milk.
- Blend in 3 cups of flour and beat until smooth.
- Cream the shortening, sugar and salt toether; add to this the beaten eggs and cardamom.
- Add to batter along with remaining flour.
- Knead until smooth, adding more flour as necessary.
- Dust fruit with a little flour and add to dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled; punch down and let rise again until doubled.
- Divide dough into three portions and shape into loaves.
- Place in greased bread pans and dust lightly with flour.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Lightly brush tops of loaves with glaze.
- Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until golden and done.
- Remove from oven, cool briefly in pan, then turn out onto cooling rack.
JULE KAKE NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Fit a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour, sugar, cardamom and salt in the mixer bowl. Combine the milk, butter, yeast and 2 eggs in another bowl, then incorporate into the dry ingredients with the mixer at low speed, 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the dough is sticky but will not stick to your hand, about 12 minutes.
- Add raisins and citron on slow speed to incorporate, about 1 minute (do not overmix).
- Let the dough relax in the mixing bowl, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Mix to knock down, then remove to a flour-dusted table.
- Divide into four pieces and let rest, covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Form dough into desired shapes, such as round loaves. Beat remaining egg and paint dough with egg wash. Transfer dough to a pan. Let rise again, covered, until doubled, 1 to 2 hours. Paint again with egg wash. Bake until the loaves are deeply brown and sound hollow when tapped, 25 to 30 minutes. Let fully cool.
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
When my husband became a minister for a church in an area populated with Norwegians, my father-in-law was delighted because I had easy access to recipes he enjoyed as a child. This is a traditional Christmas bread, but I make it for any holiday we get together. -Deborah Petersen, Princeton, New Jersey
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 loaves.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, egg, butter, salt, cardamom and 2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in raisins, citron and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough., Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each portion into a flattened ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts :
This is a Swedish Christmas Bread with candied fruits and a yummy cardamom flavor.
Provided by Janice
Categories Bread Yeast Bread Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Scald milk, and add melted butter or margarine, salt, sugar. When lukewarm add to yeast and water. Stir in 4 cups flour. Cover, and place in a warm place. Let rise for about 2 hours, or till doubled in bulk.
- Punch down. Stir in cardamom, cherries, raisins and citron. Work in remaining flour until soft dough forms. Let rise in warm place for 2 to 3 hours, or until doubled.
- Knead slightly, and form into 4 round loaves. Place on greased cookie sheets. Let rise for 1 to 2 hours, or till doubled. Brush loaves with beaten egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 158.6 calories, Carbohydrate 27.2 g, Cholesterol 11 mg, Fat 4.3 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 2.6 g, Sodium 138.9 mg, Sugar 7.4 g
More about "yulekake norwegian christmas bread recipes"
NORWEGIAN JULEKAKE (CHRISTMAS BREAD) - OUTSIDE OSLO
Cuisine Norwegian, ScandinavianEstimated Reading Time 5 minsCategory Bread
- To make the bread, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the milk and scald. Remove from the heat and add the cardamom, letting the spice steep while the milk lowers in temperature to 110 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast with 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar and pour a little of the lukewarm milk over them. Let proof until it bubbles, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining milk, along with the eggs, remaining sugar, the orange zest, salt, and cinnamon. Add 5 cups of flour and gently mix, adding additional small amounts until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. (You may not need to use the full 6 cups of flour.)
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Fold in the dried fruit and transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
JULEKAKE: NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - SAVOR THE FLAVOUR
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory BreadPublished 2021-12-20
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAKE) - YOUTUBE
NORWEGIAN JULEKAKE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
EGGLESS JULEKAKE ~ NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD FOR BAKING EGGLESS ...
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAKE) | RECIPE CART
YULEKAKA OR YULEKAGA, OR SCANDINAVIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
JULEKAKE - AAYIS RECIPES
JULEKAKE NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION …
JULEKAKE | JULEKAGE- NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - I CAMP IN MY …
JULEKAKE VERSION 2 - A NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - BLOGGER
RECIPE: JULEKAKE, NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - DEAR …
YULEKAKE - NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - PLAIN.RECIPES
JULEKAKE - NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD | RECIPE | CUISINE FIEND
JULEKAKE:NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - ZESTY SOUTH INDIAN KITCHEN
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) - NORTH WILD KITCHEN
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) - OUTSIDE OSLO
JULEKAKE | JULEKAGA | NORWEGIAN CARDAMOM SCENTED CHRISTMAS BREAD
JULEKAKE – NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD - MY DANISH KITCHEN
JULEKAKE / JULEKAGA ~ NORWEGIAN CARDAMOM SCENTED CHRISTMAS …
JULEKAKE - TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC NORWEGIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS CAKE OR "JULEKAKE" - A PREFECT COFFEE BREAD
YULEKAKE - NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD | RECIPE CART
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) – RECIPE BOX
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAKE) – FORK LORE
EGGLESS JULEKAKE – NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) - FOOD AND JOURNEYS
HOW TO MAKE NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAKE)
JULEKAKE-NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD RECIPE
JULEKAKE | JULEKAGA | NORWEGIAN CARDAMOM SCENTED CHRISTMAS …
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) | CHATTY GOURMET
JULEKAKE (NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD) - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
JULEKAKE RECIPE FOR BREAD MACHINE - THERESCIPES.INFO
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD JULEKAKE RECIPES
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (JULEKAGE) - SPRINKLE BAKES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love