Looking for a classic homemade condiment? Enjoy this slow cooked apple butter made with apple and spices.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix all ingredients in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until apples are very tender.
- Mash apples with potato masher or large fork.
- Cook uncovered on low heat setting 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick. Cool about 2 hours.
- Spoon apple butter into container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 30, Carbohydrate 9 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 0 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, ServingSize 1 Tablespoon, Sodium 0 mg
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE
- Combine Honeycrisp apples, Granny Smith apples, and apple cider in a large stainless steel or enamel-coated saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until mixture reduces by about half, about 20 minutes.
- Stir sugar and lemon juice into the apple mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking at a simmer until the mixture is very thick, about 25 minutes.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack apple butter into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 170.7 calories, Carbohydrate 44.9 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 0.3 g, Sodium 3.1 mg, Sugar 41.1 g
HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Combine the apples, cider, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves and salt in a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, until the apples are very tender, about 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and puree using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender (be careful when blending hot liquids).
- Transfer the pot to the oven. Bake, uncovered, stirring every 20 minutes so that the bottom does not burn, until the mixture is very thick and a rich brown caramel color, about 3 hours. Cool completely.
HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large ovenproof pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, partially cover and cook until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves. Puree the mixture in a blender in batches until smooth (or use an immersion blender).
- Return the mixture to the pot and bake, uncovered, stirring every 30 minutes, until thickened and deep amber, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours (the timing will depend on the kind of apples you use). Remove from the oven and let cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5 days.
- Try it on: Pancakes, waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, grilled cheese, PB&J, biscuits, cornbread or pork chops
Nutrition Facts : Calories 128 calorie, Fat 0 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Cholesterol 0 milligrams, Sodium 72 milligrams, Carbohydrate 33 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 0 grams, Sugar 28 grams
ALL-DAY APPLE BUTTER
I make several batches of this simple and delicious homemade apple butter recipe to freeze in jars. Depending on the sweetness of the apples used, you can adjust the sugar to taste. -Betty Ruenholl, Syracuse, Nebraska
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 pints.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Place apples in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. , Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking). , Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 68 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 9mg sodium, Carbohydrate 17g carbohydrate (16g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 0 protein.
A great answer to that eternal question - "What do I do with all these apples?" - apple butter is a sweetened, concentrated, lightly spiced spread that's smoother than jam and thicker than applesauce and fantastic on buttered toast, thinned with vinegar as a sauce for pork chops, or used to top breakfast treats like pancakes, waffles or biscuits. The apples here are intentionally left unpeeled and uncored to take advantage of the extra flavor in the peels and pectin-rich cores. (A pass through a food mill or sieve after cooking will pull them out.) As for the ideal apple butter apple - well, there is none. Use nearly any variety: This recipe is only improved by mixing and matching. Note, too, that this can be made on the stovetop or in the oven. The oven method may take longer, but it can be worthwhile if only to avoid the inevitable splattering of the stovetop method.
Provided by Alison Roman
Categories jams, jellies and preserves
Yield About 4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine apples, vinegar, allspice berries (if using), cinnamon sticks (if using), ginger (if using), star anise pod (if using) and 4 cups water in a large, heavy bottomed pot over high heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are completely softened and the liquid has reduced by half, 30 to 40 minutes. (Some pieces of apple might float at first; they will sink and become submerged as they soften.) Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Leaving behind allspice berries, cinnamon sticks and star anise pod, pass the apples through a food mill. (Alternatively, working in batches, ladle apples into a strainer or colander, and using a ladle, wooden spoon or spatula, press apples to pass pulp through, leaving behind seeds and skin.)
- To finish on the stovetop: Place apple pulp in the same large, heavy-bottomed pot, add granulated sugar and light brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick, glossy and a deep golden brown (somewhere between honey and molasses), 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (Around the 1 1/2-hour mark, things will start to bubble rather violently. Stirring constantly will help, but expect, and be careful of, a few splatters.) To test the thickness, spoon a bit onto a plate: The mixture should set almost immediately with no spreading or wateriness. If it's not there yet, cook another 8 to 10 minutes and test again. When the desired consistency is reached, season with kosher salt.
- To finish in the oven: Heat oven to 300 degrees. Place apple pulp in a 9-inch by 13-inch (3-quart) baking dish, add granulated sugar and light brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Place in oven and let cook, stirring every 30 minutes or so, until mixture is thick, glossy and a deep, golden brown color (somewhere between honey and molasses), 3 to 3 1/2 hours. To test the thickness, spoon a bit onto a plate: The mixture should set almost immediately with no spreading or wateriness. If it's not there yet, cook another 20 to 30 minutes and test again. When the desired consistency is reached, season with kosher salt.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 311, UnsaturatedFat 0 grams, Carbohydrate 80 grams, Fat 0 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 19 milligrams, Sugar 72 grams
GRANDMA'S APPLE BUTTER
This is the best recipe for Apple Butter that I have ever made. My Grandma taught me how to make this years ago. Posting so that I will never lose it! I am not exactly sure on the exact yield - it's been a while since I've made this.
Provided by CindiJ
Yield 6 1/2 pint jars
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place apples in crock pot; cook on high for 4-1/2 hours (covered).
- After 4-1/2 hours stir and add remaining ingredients. Cook for another 4-1/2 hours with NO lid.
- Stir and seal in jars.
- *Can seal in hot water bath or top with paraffin.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and add apples. Cook apples until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add cider, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mash softened apples with a potato masher. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Using an immersion blender, puree mixture until smooth.
- Pour apple mixture evenly into a baking dish. Transfer to oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Let cool before serving. Apple butter may be kept, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 5 days.
STOVETOP APPLE BUTTER
The taste of homemade apple butter is worth the time it takes to make this delectable spread. My dad's family made theirs in the backyard in a big copper kettle over a fire of burning hedge wood. It took 6 bushels of apples, 60 lbs. of sugar, four cinnamon sticks, a lemon slice and about 9 hours of constant stirring to make 18 gal. of apple butter-about a year's supply! -Rev. Willis Piepenbrink, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a 6- to 8-qt. heavy kettle, bring apples and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender. Press cooked apples through a colander or food mill. Discard peels. , Return pureed apples to the kettle. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the consistency is very thick and the color is dark brown, about 8 hours. Freeze in containers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 135 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 0 sodium, Carbohydrate 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 0 protein.
ALL-DAY APPLE BUTTER
This tasty apple butter is a real slow cooker, but well worth the wait. Depending on the sweetness of the apples used, the amount of sugar may be adjusted to taste.
Provided by Terri
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 34.4 calories, Carbohydrate 9 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 0.1 g, Sodium 4.8 mg, Sugar 8.3 g
More about "apple butter recipes"
4 WAYS TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER | ALLRECIPES
Author Vanessa GreavesPublished 2015-09-22Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter. Making apple butter used to be a labor-intensive, all-day harvest-time tradition that involved constant stirring to keep the apples from scorching as they cooked.
- Instant Pot Apple Butter. Home cook Kathleen Sanders was able to cut down on the cooking time by using the Instant Pot to make Chef John's Apple Butter recipe: "I made this on my Instant Pot.
- Stovetop Apple Butter. If you don't have a slow cooker, and you don't mind stirring once in a while, you can make apple butter the low-tech way on your stove.
- Oven-Roasted Apple Butter. This recipe for Apple Butter in the Oven starts on the stovetop and finishes low and slow in the oven. Use a heavy pot, like a Dutch oven, to make this recipe so the apples cook evenly with no hot spots to scorch your gorgeous apple butter.
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
5/5 (63)Total Time 2 hrs 20 minsCuisine AmericanCalories 44 per serving
HOW TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER : FOOD NETWORK | RECIPES, DINNERS AND …
APPLE BUTTER | THE RECIPE CRITIC
EASY APPLE BUTTER RECIPE: STOVETOP OR SLOW COOKER -BAKING A …
INSTANT POT APPLE BUTTER RECIPE: A STEP BY STEP GUIDE | WHOLEFULLY
EASIEST CROCKPOT APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - CRAZY FOR CRUST
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER | TASTE OF HOME
WHAT IS APPLE BUTTER AND HOW DO YOU MAKE IT AT HOME?
THE BEST APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - WEEKEND AT THE COTTAGE
TRADITIONAL APPLE BUTTER SPREAD RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
EASY APPLE BUTTER | SOUTHERN LIVING
BEST APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER - DELISH
BEST HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER RECIPES | VALERIE'S HOME COOKING
HOW TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER IN 4 EASY STEPS | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
EASY "REAL BUTTER" APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - MINNEOPA ORCHARDS
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
10 WAYS TO USE APPLE BUTTER - DELICIOUS USES FOR APPLE BUTTER
EASY APPLE BUTTER RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER
HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER - BRITNEY BREAKS BREAD
APPLE BUTTER | RICARDO
EASY APPLE BUTTER RECIPE THAT'S PERFECT FOR FALL! - SHELF COOKING
10 IRRESISTIBLE APPLE BUTTER USES TO TRY THIS AUTUMN | TASTE OF HOME
AMISH APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - THE GRACIOUS PANTRY
HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER - SPEND WITH PENNIES
RECIPE FOR APPLE BUTTER | ALMANAC.COM
APPLE BUTTER - SOBEYS INC.
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE - BBC FOOD
HOW TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER (WITH CANNING INSTRUCTIONS)
APPLE BUTTER BREAD RECIPE | EASY SIDE DISHES
HOMEMADE APPLE BUTTER - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
APPLE BUTTER RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
CREAMY APPLE BUTTER RECIPE | CHEW OUT LOUD
THE ONLY APPLE BUTTER RECIPE YOU NEED | REAL SIMPLE
15 WAYS TO USE APPLE BUTTER | ALLRECIPES
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE BUTTER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
USING APPLE BUTTER IN THE KITCHEN: 10 RECIPES | KITCHN
#time-to-make #course #preparation #condiments-etc #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love