Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the apples and then cut them in 3/4-inch dice. Immediately toss the apples with the zest and juice to prevent them from turning brown. Add the cherries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Flour a board and lightly roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12 by 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 4 smaller squares and keep chilled until ready to use.
- Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place about 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, make 2 small slits, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat apples, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened and apples are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour. Roll out thawed puff pastry into 15-inch square. Cut into 4 smaller squares.
- Brush each square with egg wash; spoon apple mixture onto center of each. Fold each in half diagonally to form a triangle; press edges together to seal. Use back of fork to crimp edges. Transfer to cookie sheet; brush with egg wash. Use sharp knife to cut a few vents into each turnover.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 610, Carbohydrate 77 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Fat 6, Fiber 3 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 10 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 220 mg, Sugar 44 g, TransFat 6 g
Not sure how to make apple turnovers? Give this traditional recipe a try. It makes a dessert that's both tender and flaky, with apple pie-like filling and a thin, white glaze. I freeze the extra turnovers and warm them up in the microwave. They're great with coffee. -Dorothy Bayes, Sardis, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x6-in. rectangle., Cut remaining butter into thin slices. Starting at a short side of dough, arrange half of the butter slices over two-thirds of rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold unbuttered third of dough over middle third. Fold remaining third over the middle, forming a 6x4-in. rectangle. Roll dough into a 12x6-in. rectangle., Repeat steps of butter layering and dough folding, ending with a 6x4-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 12x6-in. rectangle. Fold in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 1 hour., Preheat oven to 450°. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add apples and lemon juice; toss to coat. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until apples are tender, stirring often, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat., In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Roll dough into a 12-in. square; cut into four squares. Brush with half of the egg mixture. Spoon about 1/4 cup filling on half of each square; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg mixture. With a sharp knife, cut three small slits in the top of each turnover., Bake until golden brown, 17-22 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over turnovers. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 466 calories, Fat 25g fat (15g saturated fat), Cholesterol 108mg cholesterol, Sodium 496mg sodium, Carbohydrate 58g carbohydrate (31g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
- Combine the lemon and 4 cups water in a large bowl. Place the sliced apples in the water to keep them from browning.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain water from apples, and place them into the hot skillet. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Pour into the skillet, and mix well. Cook for another minute, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Unfold puff pastry sheets, and repair any cracks by pressing them back together. Trim each sheet into a square. Then cut each larger square into 4 smaller squares. Spoon apples onto the center of each squares. Fold over from corner to corner into a triangle shape, and press edges together to seal. Place turnovers on a baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix together the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Adjust the thickness by adding more sugar or milk if necessary. Drizzle glaze over the cooled turnovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 561.9 calories, Carbohydrate 80 g, Cholesterol 7.8 mg, Fat 25.9 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 4.8 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 183.9 mg, Sugar 49.8 g
BAKED APPLE TURNOVERS
- Cook apples and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally and breaking up apples with the back of a spoon, 10 to 12 minutes or until apples form a coarse puree. Add SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener and flour; cook 2 to 3 additional minutes, stirring constantly until SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener dissolves and mixture is thickened. Stir in cinnamon. Spoon apple mixture into a bowl to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Unroll piecrusts; cut each one into four wedges. Roll each wedge into a 6-inch circle. Place 3 level tablespoons apple mixture on each circle; moisten edges of dough with water and fold dough over to form a half-moon shape. Crimp to seal, and cut vents to release steam. Place on prepared pan; brush tops with egg white.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until turnovers are browned. Cool turnovers on a wire rack 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 285.5 calories, Carbohydrate 34.3 g, Fat 15.6 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 2.9 g, SaturatedFat 2.3 g, Sodium 314.7 mg, Sugar 9.8 g
Treat family and friends to these moreish apple turnovers. With an apple and cinnamon filling encased in puff pastry, they're delicious served with ice cream
Provided by Katie Hiscock
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Put the Bramley apple, sugar and cinnamon in a small pan with 1 tbsp water. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 10-15 mins until the apple breaks down and turns into a compote.
- Stir in the butter and the Gala apple and cook for a further 5 mins, uncovered, until the Gala apple is just soft but retaining its shape, and any excess water has evaporated to make a thick compote around the Gala chunks. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Unravel the puff pastry sheet out on a work surface, and cut into 4 even rectangles. Divide the apple filling to one side of each of the puff pastry rectangles, leaving a 1cm border. Brush the border with milk and fold over the empty side of pastry over the filling and crimp together. Brush with more milk and sprinkle over the sugar. Make a small steam hole in the middle of the turnovers.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 mins until golden and puffed up. Leave to cool for 10 mins on a wire rack (the filling will be molten when it first comes out the oven) before serving warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or serve at room temperature. Keep for 2 days in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 421 calories, Fat 22 grams fat, SaturatedFat 12 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 49 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 21 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.8 milligram of sodium
- Combine apples, cherries, and currants in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, heat apple juice until simmering and pour over dried fruit. Stir to combine, and let stand until juice is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in applesauce; set aside.
- Place puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface. Trim edges, and cut out twelve 3-by-3-inch squares, discarding excess dough. Place a tablespoon of apple filling in center of each square. In a small bowl, stir together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of each pastry square with egg wash. Fold pastry over filling to enclose, forming a triangle. Lightly press edges to seal. Using a floured fork, crimp edges decoratively with tines, if desired. Transfer turnovers to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with rack in center. Brush turnovers lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until deep golden brown and puffed, about 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe requires minimal attention, making it perfect for holiday gatherings or large parties. The apple triangles can be assembled up to a month ahead and frozen, since puff pastry is so packed with butter that it keeps perfectly.
Provided by Julia Moskin
Yield 12 triangles
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In another bowl, mix apples, remaining granulated sugar, lemon juice and salt. Let sit 5 minutes, and drain, reserving juice.
- On a floured work surface, roll out a sheet of puff pastry to a rectangle roughly 9 by 12 inches. Cut into 6 squares, and place 1 tablespoon apple filling in center of each. Lightly brush edges with reserved apple juice; fold into triangles, and seal edges by crimping with a fork. Repeat with remaining puff pastry and filling. Transfer turnovers to freezer, and freeze until firm, at least 15 minutes. Turnovers can be kept frozen in zipper-lock freezer bags up to 1 month.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick pan liners. Brush tops of frozen turnovers with apple juice, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and arrange on baking sheets. (If reserved apple juice is no longer available, use commercial juice or water.) Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until well browned, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time. Let cool slightly before serving.
More about "apple turnovers recipes"
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS - JUST A TASTE
4.9/5 (70)Total Time 28 minsCategory Dessert, SnackCalories 199 per serving
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the pastry to seal any perforations then cut each sheet into 4 squares.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop a portion of the apple mixture into the center of each puff pastry square then fold the pastry across diagonally to form triangles. Using a fork, crimp together the edges then transfer the turnovers to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
EASY APPLE TURNOVER RECIPE (WITH PUFF PASTRY!) - AVERIE COOKS
APPLE TURNOVERS: THE BEST RECIPE FOR THE CLASSIC DESSERT
APPLE TURNOVERS - SIMPLE LIVING. CREATIVE LEARNING
APPLE TURNOVERS | SCRAPPY GEEK
APPLE TURNOVERS - STAY AT HOME MUM
APPLE TURNOVERS - SUGAR SPUN RUN
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
THE EASIEST APPLE TURNOVERS YOU'LL EVER MAKE
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
APPLE TURNOVER RECIPE - BAKING A MOMENT
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN - INTERNET COOKING …
APPLE TURNOVER | RICARDO
EASY FRIED APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | SIDECHEF
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE - A SIMPLE TWEAK
BAKERY-STYLE APPLE TURNOVERS | THE COOK UP | ADAM LIAW | SBS FOOD
CLASSIC APPLE TURNOVERS - ERREN'S KITCHEN
EASY CARAMEL APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | PRACTICALLY HOMEMADE
CARAMEL APPLE TURNOVERS - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
QUICK APPLE TURNOVERS - JO COOKS
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS FROM SCRATCH | MERRYBOOSTERS
APPLE TURNOVERS - MY BAKING ADDICTION
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
OLD FASHIONED APPLE TURNOVER RECIPE - KITCHEN DIVAS
APPLE TURNOVERS - PREPPY KITCHEN
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS - FOOD WITH FEELING
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | ZERO CALORIE SWEETENER & SUGAR …
APPLE TURNOVERS (GREAT FALL BREAKFAST IDEA) - THE CHUNKY CHEF
APPLE TURNOVERS - JOYOFBAKING.COM *VIDEO RECIPE*
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE (EASY WITH PUFF PASTRY) | KITCHN
EASY APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | MYFOODBOOK
AUTUMN APPLE TURNOVERS | KING ARTHUR BAKING
AIR FRYER APPLE TURNOVERS - THERESCIPES.INFO
CLASSIC APPLE TURNOVERS | SOUTHERN FATTY
BULK BARN - HOMEMADE APPLE TURNOVERS
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | NO CALORIE SWEETENER & SUGAR SUBSTITUTE ...
TURNOVER RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
AIR FRYER APPLE TURNOVERS - FORK TO SPOON
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE - SWEET PEA'S KITCHEN
APPLE TURNOVERS RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #preparation #dietary #low-sodium #low-in-something
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you use up apple turnovers?Fold dough over apple filling and use a fork to crimp and seal edges. Repeat the process to use up all the filling. Place turnovers onto prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake for 18 minutes or until turnovers are golden brown in color.
How do you make turnover apple pie?Apple pie fans will love this easy twist on the classic in turnover form! Made with Pillsbury™ pie crust and fresh apples, every bite delivers on the flavors you enjoy in a novel way. In 2-quart saucepan, mix apples, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the water and the lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly.
Can you freeze apple turnovers for later use?Transfer turnovers to freezer, and freeze until firm, at least 15 minutes. Turnovers can be kept frozen in zipper-lock freezer bags up to 1 month. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick pan liners. Brush tops of frozen turnovers with apple juice, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and arrange on baking sheets.
What are apple turnovers made of?The inside of these apple turnovers include apples, of course, but also dried currants, walnuts, apple sauce, a little sugar and cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla. Baked turnovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. They will lose their crispiness, but are still delicious.