CREAMY BISCUITS AND GRAVY
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a bowl; cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Mix in egg and milk until incorporated. Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and knead for 1 minute.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of 3/4 to 1-inch thick, cut with a biscuit cutter, and place biscuits onto prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook and stir sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease. Stir 1/4 cup butter into sausage until butter has melted and mix in 1/4 cup flour until thoroughly combined. Pour evaporated milk and water into sausage mixture, bring gravy to a simmer, and reduce heat to low; simmer gravy until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season gravy with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve biscuits with sausage gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 431.1 calories, Carbohydrate 28.1 g, Cholesterol 72.1 mg, Fat 29.7 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 12.9 g, SaturatedFat 11.7 g, Sodium 812.6 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
BISCUITS AND GRAVY
- In a large pot, add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through. Drain grease and add flour to sausage. Cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is well-coated with the flour. Add milk and stir until desired thickness and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with biscuits.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
BISCUITS AND GRAVY
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake flour and high-gluten flour in bowl of a stand mixer. Add vegetable shortening, sugar, baking powder and salt. Slowly add buttermilk and mix on low speed with a dough hook for 2 minutes.
- Portion out 2 dozen 4-ounce biscuits. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot and fresh with Gravy or as a side.
- Cook breakfast sausage in a large braising pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fully cooked, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add butter and let melt. Add flour and cook, stirring slowly, to make a roux. Add milk and cook, continuously whisking, to thicken the gravy. Add chicken base, thyme and pepper and cook, whisking, until gravy thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve as a side or over biscuits.
BISCUITS AND GRAVY
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and stir just until the pieces are coated with the flour mixture. Whisk together the milk and egg in a small bowl. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not overmix the dough. Cut in the butter.
- Flour your workspace. Turn the dough onto the workspace and pat into a 1/2-inch-thick slab. Using a biscuit cutter (or any round rimmed object), cut out 8 to 10 biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, making sure they don't touch, and bake until they've risen slightly and are lightly browned around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Top with butter and keep warm.
- For the sausage gravy: Heat a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until browned, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and thyme, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir together the cornstarch and 1 cup cold water in a medium bowl. Stirring constantly, pour the slurry into the pot. Simmer, stirring often, until the gravy thickens.
- Split each biscuit in half and top with about ¾ cup of the sausage gravy. Extra gravy will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 7 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
SAUSAGE BISCUITS AND GRAVY
Often imitated, never duplicated. Just make sure that after you make this for breakfast, you have a window of opportunity to go back to bed, because you won't be able to do much after consuming this. Cast-iron skillet is preferred. I prefer the taste that the maple sausage lends to the dish, however you could easily substitute regular or sage sausage in lieu of the maple. Single ladies, sit back and wait for proposals of marriage!
Provided by chrisser27
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Arrange biscuits about 1 1/2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 13 to 17 minutes. Slice cooked biscuits in half crosswise and keep warm.
- While biscuits are baking, crumble sausage into a large skillet over medium heat; cook, breaking meat apart, until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle sausage and pan drippings with flour and cook and stir until sausage is coated, about 1 more minute. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Pour evaporated milk into sausage mixture, followed by milk; stir until thoroughly combined. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until gravy is your desired thickness, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Stir butter into gravy until melted. Stir in more flour if gravy isn't thick enough.
- Place biscuits with cut sides up on serving plates; top with sausage gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 947 calories, Carbohydrate 66.1 g, Cholesterol 128.5 mg, Fat 59.8 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 38.4 g, SaturatedFat 21.3 g, Sodium 3110.9 mg, Sugar 19.6 g
SOUTHERN BISCUITS AND GRAVY
A dear and very close friend of mine who lives in Australia asked me about southern biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It is RARE that I make this because it's artery clogging as HECK so if you're steadfastly health conscious...forget it!! It is an old southern tradition ...like grits. So if you only do it once every 5 years (haha) you're probably safe from a coronary. It's out of this world good! For those who don't know, biscuits and gravy is really more like biscuits, sausage and gravy. Every southern cook adds her/his own twist to it ...like throwing in sugar and vanilla isn't the norm--it's just the way I do it -- once every 5 years or more!
Provided by Adrienne in Reister
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Combine the dry ingredients. Knead in the butter.
- Add buttermilk and knead on a floured surface. Make sure you only knead it just enough to get the dough together. Do it gently so the flour doesn't develop gluten which will cause your biscuits to be tough.
- Flatten the dough with the ball of your
- fist. Use a glass to cut out your bisquits. Don't make them too tall or the outside may get crusty while the inside is still too doughy.
- Cook them in a 350 degree oven on a greased cookie sheet and then get started on the gravy straight off.
- Fry up the sausage until it's thoroughly cooked. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon.
- Don't drain the grease. You'll need it to make the roux. You should have about 2 tablespoons of rendered fat. Add the butter and melt it. Then add the flour a little at a time over medium heat, constantly whisking.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Now start adding the cold milk a little at a time, whisking incessantly.
- Toward the end of the milk add the sausage back inches When it's nice and thickened up add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the biscuits in half, pour the gravy over them, and enjoy! We're talking breakfast heaven here!
BEST SAUSAGE GRAVY AND BISCUITS
For the best sausage gravy with biscuits, try this recipe at home and you won't even have to wait to order them at a restaurant. Creamy, meaty, and savory... each bite is nice and salty with a slight kick of spice from the hot sauce.
Provided by NicoleMcmom
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, crumbling with a spoon and stirring often, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add butter to skillet and melt. Sprinkle flour evenly over skillet and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups milk and scrape up any bits off the bottom of the skillet. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 10 minutes. If mixture becomes too thick, thin slightly by adding more milk or water. Season with hot sauce, pepper, and salt; cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve immediately over hot biscuits.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 483 calories, Carbohydrate 34.1 g, Cholesterol 62.1 mg, Fat 30.6 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 17.4 g, SaturatedFat 10.6 g, Sodium 1418.6 mg, Sugar 6.6 g
BISCUITS AND SAUSAGE GRAVY
This is an old Southern biscuits and gravy recipe that I've adapted. Homemade sausage gravy is a classic, hearty breakfast that takes you on a trip to the South every time it's served. -Sue Baker, Jonesboro, Arkansas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add butter and heat until melted. Add the flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir until blended. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with biscuits.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 337 calories, Fat 27g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 72mg cholesterol, Sodium 718mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 10g protein.
EASY SAUSAGE GRAVY AND BISCUITS
- Bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Split biscuits in half. Place 2 halves on each of 8 plates; top with about 1/3 cup gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 332.8 calories, Carbohydrate 30.8 g, Cholesterol 24.9 mg, Fat 18.7 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 9.8 g, SaturatedFat 6.1 g, Sodium 718.3 mg, Sugar 7.7 g
More about "biscuits and gravy recipes"
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
4.8/5 (12)Total Time 35 minsCuisine SouthernCalories 371 per serving
HOW TO MAKE BISCUITS AND GRAVY LIKE A SOUTHERNER - TASTE …
Author Jenna UrbenEstimated Reading Time 6 mins
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
Author Matt's Big BreakfastSteps 8Difficulty Intermediate
HOMEMADE BISCUITS AND GRAVY (CREAM BISCUITS WITH WHITE GRAVY …
BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE WITH SAUSAGE RECIPE - DIY JOY
COUNTRY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS & SAUSAGE GRAVY (THAT'S NOT LUMPY!)
HARDEE'S BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - HALF-SCRATCHED
BISCUITS AND GRAVY CUPS - THE COUNTRY COOK
HOMEMADE BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - SIMPLY HOME COOKED
VEGETARIAN BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE
BISCUITS AND GRAVY - THE PIONEER WOMAN
THE BEST BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM …
BISCUITS AND GRAVY - SPEND WITH PENNIES
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - SOUTHERN KISSED
SAUSAGE BISCUITS BULK - THERESCIPES.INFO
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE | SOUTHERN KISSED
BISCUITS & GRAVY | THE EASY RECIPE I'VE BEEN MAKING FOR 20 YEARS!
KETO BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE | WHOLESOME YUM
15 BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPES YOU CAN MAKE IN UNDER 30 MINUTES
BEST HOMEMADE BISCUITS AND GRAVY - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
HOMEMADE BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - THE ANTHONY KITCHEN
BISCUITS AND GRAVY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE - THE BEST BLOG RECIPES
BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE - A BEAUTIFUL MESS
GRANDMA'S CLASSIC SOUTHERN BISCUITS AND SAUSAGE GRAVY RECIPE
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - WHAT'S COOKING AMERICA
BISCUITS AND GRAVY - THAT BREAD LADY
SAUSAGE GRAVY AND BISCUITS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
BEST SAUSAGE GRAVY - THE SALTY MARSHMALLOW
ULTIMATE BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE - BAKING BEAUTY
9 BEST BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPES FOR MORE THAN JUST BRUNCH
BISCUITS AND GRAVY (ONE POT) | ONE POT RECIPES
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BISCUITS AND GRAVY: 5 BEST SIDE DISHES
UNBEATABLE SAUSAGE GRAVY AND BISCUITS RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
BISCUITS AND SAUSAGE GRAVY RECIPE - A SOUTHERN CLASSIC
HOMEMADE BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPES - CDKITCHEN
COUNTRY BISCUITS AND SAUSAGE GRAVY - THE BEST BLOG RECIPES
CROCKPOT BISCUITS AND GRAVY RECIPE - MOMS WITH CROCKPOTS
HOW TO MAKE EASY BISCUITS AND GRAVY | ALLRECIPES
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #breads #breakfast #pork #american #southern-united-states #oven #rolls-biscuits #stove-top #dietary #low-carb #low-in-something #meat #equipment
You'll also love