BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD
This is the classic, adapted from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." A wonderful dish, raising the simple stew to an art form and quite simple to make -- even though the instructions look long. Use Simple Beef Stock, the recipe for which is posted on this site. Use a wine that you would drink -- not cooking wine. And the better the cut of beef, the better the stew. As the beef is combined with braised onions and sauteed mushrooms, all that is needed to complete your main course is a bowl of potatoes or noodles and lots of good bread for the sauce.
Provided by Chef Kate
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 25
- First prepare the bacon: cut off the rind and reserve.
- Cut the bacon into lardons about 1/4" thick and 1 1/2" long.
- Simmer the rind and the lardons for ten minutes in 1 1/2 quarts of water.
- Drain and dry the lardons and rind and reserve.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Put the tablespoon of olive oil in a large (9" - 10" wide, 3" deep) fireproof casserole and warm over moderate heat.
- Saute the lardons for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly.
- Remove to a side dish with a slotted spoon.
- Dry off the pieces of beef and saute them, a few at a time in the hot oil/bacon fat until nicely browned on all sides.
- Once browned, remove to the side plate with the bacon.
- In the same oil/fat, saute the onion and the carrot until softened.
- Pour off the fat and return the lardons and the beef to the casserole with the carrots and onion.
- Toss the contents of the casserole with the salt and pepper and sprinkle with the flour.
- Set the uncovered casserole in the oven for four minutes.
- Toss the contents of the casserole again and return to the hot oven for 4 more minutes.
- Now, lower the heat to 325°F and remove the casserole from the oven.
- Add the wine and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered.
- Add the tomato paste, garlic and herbs and the bacon rind.
- Bring to a simmer on the top of the stove.
- Cover and place in the oven, adjusting the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly for three to four hours.
- The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms and set them aside till needed.
- For the onion, if using frozen, make sure they are defrosted and drained.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet and add the onions to the skillet.
- Saute over medium heat for about ten minutes, rolling the onions about so they brown as evenly as possible, without breaking apart.
- Pour in the stock, season to taste, add the herbs, and cover.
- Simmer over low heat for about 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender but retain their shape and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Remove the herbs and set the onions aside.
- For the mushrooms, heat the butter and oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- As soon as the foam begins to subside add the mushrooms and toss and shake the pan for about five minutes.
- As soon as they have browned lightly, remove from heat.
- To Finish the Stew:.
- When the meat is tender, remover the casserole from the oven and empty its contents into a sieve set over a saucepan.
- Wash out the casserole and return the beef and bacon to it (discarding the bits of carrot and onion and herbs which remain in the sieve).
- Distribute the mushrooms and onions over the meat.
- Skim the fat off the sauce and simmer it for a minute or two, skimming off any additional fat which rises to the surface.
- You should be left with about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock.
- If the sauce is too thin, boil it down to reduce to the right consistency.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
- If you are serving immediately, place the covered casserole over medium low heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve in the casserole or on a warm platter surrounded by noodles, potatoes or rice and garnished with fresh parsley.
- If serving later or the next day, allow the casserole to cool and place cold, covered casserole in the refrigerator.
- 20 minutes prior to serving, place over medium low heat and simmer very slowly for ten minutes, occasionally basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 911, Fat 54.3, SaturatedFat 20.2, Cholesterol 202.9, Sodium 1168.6, Carbohydrate 27.1, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 11, Protein 56.6
Tender fall apart chunks of beef simmered in a rich red wine gravy makes Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon an incredible family dinner. Slow Cooker, Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, Stove Top and the traditional Oven method included! Easy to make, every step is worth it.
Provided by Karina
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or heavy based pot. Sauté the bacon over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large dish and set aside.
- Pat dry beef with paper towel; sear in batches in the hot oil/bacon fat until browned on all sides. Remove to the dish with the bacon.
- In the remaining oil/bacon fat, sauté the carrots and diced onions until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain excess fat (leave about 1 tablespoon in the pan) and return the bacon and beef back into the pot; season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown.
- Add the pearl onions, wine and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Then add the tomato paste, bullion and herbs. Bring to a simmer on the stove.
- Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is fall apart tender (adjust the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly).
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, prepare your mushrooms:Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over heat. When the foam subsides, add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Once they are browned, set aside.
- Place a colander over a large pot (I do this in my clean kitchen sink). Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully empty its contents into the colander (you want to collect the sauce only). Discard the herbs
- Return the beef mixture back into the dutch oven or pot. Add the mushrooms over the meat.
- Remove any fat off the sauce( if any) and simmer for a minute or two, skimming off any additional fat which rises to the surface.
- You should be left with about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly. If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
- If you are serving immediately, simmer the beef bourguignon for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
- To serve the following day, allow the casserole to cool completely, cover and refrigerate.The day of serving, remove from refrigerator for at least an hour before reheating. Place over medium-low heat and let simmer gently for about 10 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 673 kcal, Carbohydrate 17 g, Protein 56 g, Fat 32 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Cholesterol 169 mg, Sodium 620 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 7 g, ServingSize 1 serving
HEARTY BEEF POT ROAST A LA JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - (3.8/5)
Provided by dataylor
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lightly pat with flour on both sides. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or similar heavy stove-top and oven-proof pot, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to hot but not smoking. Add the beef to the pot and brown, turning several times, until well browned on both sides. add a little more oil if necessary to prevent burning. Add the wine, 3 cups beef broth, thyme, and bay leaf to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly. Transfer to the center oven rack. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees fahrneheit. Braise for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the beef is tender when pierced in the center with a fork. Meanwhile, in a medium-large roasting pan, stir the beef bones with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil until coated. Roast the bones for 1 hour, or until very well browned. Discard the fat. Transfer the beef bones to the Dutch oven. Add the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth to the roasting pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits from the bottom, then add the mixture to the Dutch oven. Continue cooking the roast, tightly covered. Meanwhile, stir together the vegetables, 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, and salt and pepper to taste in the roasting pan previously used. Roast, stirring occasionally, 50 to 60 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender when tested with a fork. Set aside. When the pot roast is tender, arrange it and the vegetables in a large, deep, heat-proof serving dish or platter. Cover and return to the oven to stay warm. If the broth has not reduced to 3 cups or less, return the Dutch oven to the burner over medium-high heat. Cook briskly, uncovered, until the broth reduces to about 3 cups. (If the broth already measures less than 2 cups, add about 1/2 cup more canned beef broth or water to it.) Discard the bones. Place the broth in a 4-cup measure; let stand until the fat rises to the surface. Skim or pour off the fat. Pour the de-fatted broth over the pot roast and vegetables (reheat the broth to hot first, if necessary) and serve. The pot roast is also excellent reheated. It will keep, refrigerated, for up to 4 days.
More about "boeuf bourguignon a la julia child recipes"
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.1/5 (42)Total Time 3 hrs 30 minsCategory Dinner, EntreeCalories 716 per serving
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD - BIGOVEN.COM
4.7/5 (3)Category Main DishCuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hr
BEEF BOURGUIGNON (INSPIRED BY JULIA CHILD CLASSIC RECIPE)
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON, SIMPLIFED • THE …
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON (BOEUF à LA BOURGUIGNONNE)
5/5 (2)Category DinnerCuisine FrenchCalories 931 per serving
JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF A LA BOURGUIGNONNE - KITCHEN FEASTS
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON [BEEF STEW IN RED WINE, WITH
JULIA CHILD'S BœUF à LA BOURGUIGNONNE - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK …
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON – HAMMERTOWN
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE - KNOPF DOUBLEDAY
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD RECIPE - FOOD
BEEF BOURGUIGNON (JULIA CHILD RECIPE) - BESTCOOKINGGUIDE
JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - NAPAFOODGALTRAVELS
JULIA CHILD’S BEEF BOURGUIGNON – THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS PORK
JULIA CHILD BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - RECIPE IDEAS, PRODUCT REVIEWS, …
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON - EVERYDAY COOKING ADVENTURES
JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - L-A AT HOME
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - GARLIC & ZEST
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON JULIA CHILD THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD - RECIPE PAIR
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON à LA JULIA CHILD | CROUTON'S KITCHEN
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - FOODISTA | RECIPES, COOKING TIPS, …
PENN APPéTIT: MAKING BOEUF BOURGUIGNON à LA JULIA CHILD
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD RECIPE - FOOD.COM
BEEF BOURGUIGNON, INSPIRED BY JULIA CHILD L PANNING THE GLOBE
JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - THE CULINARY COUPLE
JULIA CHILD DEMONSTRATES HOW TO COOK BOEUF BOURGUIGNON
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON - THE GOURMET GOURMAND
JULIA CHILD'S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON | JAMIE & JULIA - YOUTUBE
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON FROM JULIE & JULIA — BINGING WITH BABISH
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON - PRAIRIE WINDS LIFE
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD RECIPE - FOOD.COM
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE | KATOM BLOG
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON BY JULIA CHILD: THE ORIGINAL RECIPE
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
JULIA CHILD’S RECIPE FOR BOEUF BOURGUIGNON
RECIPES: BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD
FOOD YOU CAN EAT: JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON, ADAPTED
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD - 300,000+ RECIPES & MEAL PLANS
JULIA CHILD’S BOEUF BOURGUIGNON - FINDING TIME FOR COOKING
BOEUF BOURGUIGNON A LA JULIA CHILD RECIPE - FOOD.COM
JULIA CHILD'S BEEF BOURGUIGNON - SAVING ROOM FOR DESSERT
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #soups-stews #beef #vegetables #french #european #dinner-party #stews #mushrooms #meat #onions
You'll also love