BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD
I had a tiny amount of farro in my pantry and odds and ends of different grades of brown rice, so I combined them. I like the contrasting textures and flavors of the rice and farro, infused with the flavor of the roasted pepper and the vinaigrette.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories salads and dressings
Yield Serves 4 to 6
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cook the rice. Combine with 1 2/3 cups water and salt to taste in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer 45 minutes, or until there is no more water in the pot. Turn off the heat, cover the pot with a dishtowel, return the lid, and let sit for 15 minutes. Transfer the rice to a wide bowl or a sheet pan and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile cook the farro. Combine with 3 cups water and salt to taste in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer 45 to 50 minutes, until tender. Turn off the heat and allow the farro to sit in the hot water for another 15 minutes, then drain and place in a paper towel-lined bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, farro, diced roasted pepper, diced cucumber, feta, basil, and thyme.
- In a small measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the sherry and balsamic vinegars, salt to taste, Dijon mustard and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the grain mixture, add freshly ground pepper, and toss the mixture well.
- Line individual salad plates or a platter with arugula. Top with the salad. Garnish, if desired, with more crumbled feta, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 229, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 27 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 255 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BROWN RICE SALAD
- In a 10-inch saute pan over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Add the red onion to the pan and cook until translucent, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the vinegar, chicken broth, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Add the bacon back to the pan along with the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, approximately 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the dill. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS
Farro is a type of wheat that was an important component of the Roman Empire's diet, but it fell somewhat out of favor when more refined wheat products became plentiful in Italy. You'll still find it on a lot of Italian tables, though, and especially in soups and salads such as this one. Farro is available in Italian markets and gourmet grocery stores, but brown rice or barley could also be used in this recipe.
Yield 6 side-dish servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups water and farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well, then transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mash the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of salt to make a paste. Whisk in the vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, then the oil. Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro and toss to combine. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat. Season the salad with more salt and pepper to taste. (The salad can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
WILD RICE, FARRO, AND TANGERINE SALAD
Both the wild rice and the farro can be cooked a day in advance; let them cool separately on baking sheets, then cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before dressing.
Provided by Joseph Lenn
Yield Makes 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Bring 2 thyme sprigs, 2 cups broth, and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt, then rice; reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 40-45 minutes. Remove thyme and let cool. Drain, if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook farro in another medium saucepan, using remaining 2 thyme sprigs, 2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 cups water and cooking 35-40 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from tangerines; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut between membranes to release segments, placing segments in a small bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into large bowl (you should have about 1/2 cup juice); discard membranes.
- Whisk oil into tangerine juice in large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add tangerine segments, wild rice, farro, and scallions and toss gently to coat; season with more tangerine juice, if desired.
AMAZING BROWN RICE SALAD
A delicious brown rice salad recipe I concocted myself. Everyone loves it. Great to take to parties as a side dish.
Provided by Suzanne Gwinn
Categories Salad Grains Rice Salad Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, or until done.
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl, and stir in onion, celery, cranberries, salad dressing and sugar. Cover, refrigerate, and serve cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 302 calories, Carbohydrate 49.7 g, Fat 10.3 g, Fiber 2.3 g, Protein 3.8 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 364.6 mg, Sugar 9.9 g
BROWN RICE SALAD
A scrumptious salad bursting with flavor and textures is tossed with a creamy vinaigrette dressing!
Provided by dakota kelly
Categories Salad Grains Rice Salad Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 to 60 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, red wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place bacon in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, dressing mixture, bacon, bell pepper, green onions, peas, almonds, and cilantro. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 202.9 calories, Carbohydrate 30.5 g, Cholesterol 13.7 mg, Fat 6.8 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 2.8 g, Sodium 143.6 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
MEDITERRANEAN BROWN RICE SALAD
My family and friends all love this salad, which they've referred to as "the Greek salad." The recipe makes enough to feed a crowd, so it's a perfect bring-along for a big party. No matter what you're looking for-something with the Greek flavors you love, or just a healthy, simple salad-it will not disappoint! If you'd like, substitute orzo for the rice. -Sarah Hawkins, Wanatah, Indiana
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a saucepan, combine rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35-40 minutes., Meanwhile, place vinegars, garlic, pepper and salt in bowl and whisk together. While whisking, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in basil., Place spinach in a large bowl; add cooked rice. Stir in tomatoes, green onions and dressing; toss until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in feta. Loosely cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 55 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 10mg cholesterol, Sodium 291mg sodium, Carbohydrate 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
BROWN RICE, FARRO, OR SPELT BREAKFAST BOWL
For a delicious alternative to oatmeal, combine your choice of cooked brown rice, farro, or spelt with milk and a touch of maple syrup for a healthy and hearty breakfast. Top this grain bowl with fresh berries and a dollop of protein-rich Greek yogurt and you'll be sated until lunchtime.
Provided by Riley Wofford
Categories Food & Cooking Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine grains, milk, 1 cup water, and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring, until creamy, 15 to 18 minutes. Stir in maple syrup and a generous pinch of ground cinnamon. Top with plain Greek yogurt, fresh berries, and more maple syrup.
More about "brown rice and farro salad recipes"
15 BEST FARRO SALAD RECIPES | RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS ...
BROWN RICE AND FARRO - THE DR. OZ SHOW
Author The Dr. Oz Show
GREEK BROWN RICE SALAD - THE LEMON BOWL®
BEST FARRO SALAD RECIPES - DELISH KNOWLEDGE
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD - RICELAND.COM
THE NEW VINTAGE KITCHEN!A VERMONT INNKEEPER'S COLLECTION OF …
SOUTHWESTERN BROWN RICE AND BLACK BEAN SALAD
MEDITERRANEAN BROWN RICE SALAD | RECIPETIN EATS
WILD RICE, FARRO, AND TANGERINE SALAD RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
FARRO SALAD WITH SPRING VEGETABLES - THE COPPER TABLE
VEGETABLE AND BROWN RICE SALAD WITH HONEY LEMON DRESSING
BASIC FARRO SALAD RECIPE - THE CLEAN EATING COUPLE
BROCCOLI RUBBLE FARRO SALAD – SMITTEN KITCHEN
BROWN RICE SALAD WITH CRANBERRIES, WALNUTS, MINT, AND FETA RECIPE
MEDITERRANEAN BROWN RICE SALAD - AHEAD OF THYME
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD | TRACEY | COPY ME THAT
FARRO PILAF - SPEND WITH PENNIES
ITALIAN FARRO SALAD WITH FETA AND TOMATOES - WELLPLATED.COM
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD RECIPE - NYT COOKING
GREEK FARRO SALAD RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD (GRAIN SALAD) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
FARRO SALAD WITH FETA, CUCUMBERS AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES
BROWN RICE SALAD WITH BACON RECIPE | ALTON BROWN
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD RECIPE | RECIPE | EATING WELL RECIPES ...
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD RECIPE | RECIPE | FARRO SALAD RECIPES, …
BROWN RICE AND FARRO SALAD RECIPE
MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD RECIPE - BRIGHT, FRESH, AND HEALTHY!
19 EASY RICE BOWL RECIPES - IZZYCOOKING
27 FARRO RECIPES FOR WHEN YOU NEED A CHEWY, NUTTY GRAIN IN …
SALMON FARRO SALAD - THERESCIPES.INFO
FARRO RICE PUDDING RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD RECIPE WITH ARUGULA, FETA AND WALNUTS
SOUTHWESTERN FARRO SALAD RECIPE WITH POBLANOS - RACHEL COOKS®
FARRO AND BROCCOLI SALAD RECIPE | KITCHN
64 BROWN RICE/ FARRO IDEAS IN 2022 | RECIPES, VEGETARIAN RECIPES, …
FARRO AND VEGETABLE SALAD - SOUTHERN FOOD AND FUN
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST-EVER FARRO SALAD - DELISH
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love