QUICK AND ALMOST-PROFESSIONAL BUTTERCREAM ICING
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 227.9 calories, Carbohydrate 31.5 g, Cholesterol 30.8 mg, Fat 11.6 g, Protein 0.2 g, SaturatedFat 7.3 g, Sodium 83.7 mg, Sugar 31 g
BASIC BUTTERCREAM ICING
- Combine all the ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix at slow speed until smooth. If stiffer icing is needed, or if the weather is very warm, add a little extra sugar. This recipe is enough to cover and fill a 9- by 13-inch sheet cake or two 9-inch layers.
Foolproof cake frosting requires just butter and icing sugar - try out different flavourings and use our guide for quantities
Provided by Caroline Hire - Food writer
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert
Yield Makes enough to ice 12 cupcakes/fill and cover a 20cm cake
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Beat 600g sifted icing sugar and 300g butter together with your chosen flavouring and colouring if using, add 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water to loosen and beat until smooth.
- Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe onto cupcakes or smear in the middle and over the top of a 20cm cake using a palette knife.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 284 calories, Fat 20.6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 13 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 25 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 25 grams sugar, Protein 0.1 grams protein, Sodium 0.4 milligram of sodium
BASIC WHITE TWO-LAYER CAKE AND WHITE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPE
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make sure that the rack is in the center of your oven. Spray two 8" round cake pans very generously with non-stick cooking spray (I used Baker's Joy ).
- In a large bowl, mix together cake flour, salt, and baking powder; set bowl aside.
- In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until it's light and fluffy (you can use a standing mixer or an electric hand mixer).
- In a large measuring cup, combine the milk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Now it's time to add them all together! Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend on a low speed for about 30 seconds. Add about 1/2 of the milk mixture and blend again. Add in half of what's left of the flour mixture and blend again. Add in the rest of the milk mixture, blend for a couple of seconds, then the remaining flour mixture and blend at a low speed until the ingredients are barely mixed together (don't over mix!).
- In a separate bowl (or in your stand mixer using the whisk attachment), beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until they reach "firm peak stage" (a.k.a. when the whisk is held sideways, the peaks will hold and the ridges will be distinct - this took about five minutes of whisking for me!). Fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the two prepared pans and bake them for 20-26 minutes (mine were done at 25), or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove the cakes and let them finish cooling on wire racks.
- Combine the shortening, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl (you can use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer). Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating with the milk or heavy cream, and mix it together until you have used it all. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk. If the frosting is too thin, add more sugar.
- Place one of your cooled, leveled cake layers on your cake stand . Using an offset spatula, place about 1/2 cup of frosting in the middle of the cake. Using your spatula, push the frosting out to the edges until the frosting is about 1/4"-1/2" thick (if you have a rotating cake stand, this step is really easy, but you can do it without it).
- Place the second layer of cake on top. You will now create the crumb coat (a thin layer of frosting that seals in all the crumbs to make it easy to decorate). Using the offset spatula, spread the frosting that has spilled out from between the layers smoothly over the surface. Add more frosting as needed, just keep the layer thin and smooth.
- Place about 1/2 cup of frosting on the top of the cake, pushing the frosting out to the edges until it's a smooth, flat surface.
- Now place the spatula against the edges of the cake and smooth out the excess frosting pushed over from the top of the cake.
- To help the cake firm up, stick it in the freezer for about 1-2 hours.
- From here, drop 1/2 cup frosting on the center of the cake and push it out to the edges as you did before, making the surface nice and smooth.
- Continue adding frosting to the top and edges of the cake until it's the smoothness and thickness you want. (Amanda says that the best way to get smooth frosting is to practice!)
- From there, continue to add more frosting to the top and sides of the cake until it's completely covered. I topped mine off with sprinkles, but you could get fancy and add some frosting decorations
Nutrition Facts : Calories 830 kcal, Carbohydrate 128 g, Protein 6 g, Fat 34 g, SaturatedFat 15 g, TransFat 3 g, Cholesterol 44 mg, Sodium 242 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 104 g, ServingSize 1 serving
More about "buttercream icing 2 ways recipes"
THE BEST BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - TWO SISTERS
4.4/5 (252)Total Time 10 minsCategory Frosting
- Add Powdered Sugar and beat on low until it is incorporated. Then move mixer up to medium-high speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When completely mixed the frosting may appear dry.
BUTTERCREAM ICING RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM
4/5 (43)Servings 1
BUTTERCREAM ICING - ALBERTA MILK
Servings 24Estimated Reading Time 50 secsCategory DessertTotal Time 5 mins
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
10 BEST 2 INGREDIENT ICING RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEST HOMEMADE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING | WILTON
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM ICING | CHATELAINE
THE BEST BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - TWO SISTERS CRAFTING - MASTERCOOK
CASHEW BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (2 WAYS!) | RECIPE - PINTEREST
EASY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPES - 12 DELICIOUS RECIPES TO TRY
BUTTERCREAM ICING-2 WAYS | RECIPE | FROSTING RECIPES, CAKE, …
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPE WITH 2 INGREDIENTS EASY
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
15 DREAMY BUTTERCREAM DESSERTS - COSMOPOLITAN
EASY VANILLA BUTTERCREAM ICING - VJ COOKS
BUTTERCREAM ICING-2 WAYS | FROSTING RECIPES, EASY CUPCAKE RECIPES, …
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: THE EASIEST METHOD - KITCHN
PUBLIX BUTTERCREAM FROSTING COPYCAT RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
THE BEST BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPE
TWO-STEP BUTTERCREAM RECIPE - BBC FOOD
2 OF EVERYTHING ICING - CAKECENTRAL.COM
CASHEW BUTTERCREAM FROSTING | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM | SUPER EASY RECIPE - BAKE PLAY SMILE
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING FOR TWO CUPCAKES - KELSEY SMITH
BOOZY BUTTERCREAM FROSTINGS - TWO SISTERS
2 INGREDIENT BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - THERESCIPES.INFO
30 BUTTERCREAM RECIPES AND 15 FROSTING RECIPE - VEENA AZMANOV
CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM FOR CAKES (THICK + STABLE FOR FROSTING …
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - DESSERT FOR TWO
HOMEMADE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING RECIPE | MY BAKING ADDICTION
CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM TWO WAYS - RECIPES & VIDEO
THE 7 TYPES OF BUTTERCREAM FROSTING | WILTON BLOG
FAVORITE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING - CULINARY HILL
BASIC BUTTERCREAM ICING RECIPE - BBC FOOD
THE EASIEST TWO-INGREDIENT CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING - KITCHN
2 INGREDIENTS BUTTERCREAM RECIPE - YOUTUBE
HOW TO SWIRL TWO COLORS OF ICING - CAKE DECORIST
SIMPLE BUTTERCREAM RECIPE - BEST DESSERTS
BASIC BUTTERCREAM - HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM | QUEEN ... - QUEEN …
THE BEST 2-INGREDIENT FROSTING THAT WE’VE EVER TRIED - TIPHERO
QUICK AND EASY HOMEMADE BUTTERCREAM ICING | FOODTALK
BUTTERCREAM ICING RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
2 EASY WAYS FOR HOW TO SMOOTH BUTTERCREAM FOR COOKIES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a buttercream cake with icing?Method. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture. Stir in the food colouring until well combined.
How can I add colour to my butter icing?Try adding a little food colouring gel for a splash of colour to your butter icing. Read more about sharing. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and vanilla extract and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
How do you make icing with milk and sugar?Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and vanilla extract and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the remaining milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture. Stir in the food colouring, if using, until well combined.
How to make orange buttercream frosting?Method Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and vanilla extract and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Stir in the food colouring, if using, until well combined. For the orange buttercream variation, omit the milk and vanilla from the basic recipe.