CAçOILA | PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF
This recipe for cacoila, Portuguese stewed beef from Pico, is made with red peppers and beef or stewed pork, red wine, tomato, butter sauce.
Provided by Ana Taveira
Number Of Ingredients 16
- The day before cooking, in a large bowl, coat the beef with the crushed red pepper, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- About 4 hours before you intend to sit down at the table, scatter the onion slices, parsley, garlic, and bay leaves in the bottom of a Dutch oven. Tuck the allspice and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth tied together with kitchen twine or in a tea ball and toss them in the Dutch oven. If desired, season the beef with salt. Place the beef on top and dot with the butter or lard.
- In a measuring glass or bowl, stir together the wine, tomato paste, and cinnamon and pour it over the beef.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the meat is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours, turning the pieces occasionally. For a more stew-like version, keep the lid on for the duration of cooking. For a more concentrated, glaze-like sauce version, about halfway through cooking, remove the lid to let some of the liquid evaporate so the sauce can concentrate in consistency and flavor.
- Remove the bay leaves and the cheesecloth pouch or teaball. If desired, serve the caçoila with boiled white potatoes, roasted red peppers, and cooked greens. Originally published May 10, 2001.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 446 calories
SLOW-COOKED SPICY PORTUGUESE CACOILA
You're probably used to pulled pork coated with barbecue sauce and made into sandwiches. Portuguese pulled pork is a spicy dish often served at our large family functions. Each cook generally adds his or her own touches that reflect their taste and Portuguese heritage. A mixture of beef roast and pork can be used. -Michele Merlino, Exeter, Rhode Island
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place pork in a large bowl; add wine, garlic and seasonings. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate overnight., Transfer pork mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; add onion and water. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. , Skim fat. Remove bay leaves. Shred meat with 2 forks. If desired, serve with a slotted spoon on bolillos.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 489 calories, Fat 20g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 90mg cholesterol, Sodium 1075mg sodium, Carbohydrate 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 34g protein.
CACOILA (PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF)
This tender Portuguese stewed beef in a rich, flavorful red wine sauce is toooooo good! It's named after the clay pot in which the stew is cooked. The pot is typically soaked overnight, then the meat is cooked at very low heat for about 7 hours. This version takes less time, is very easy, and leftovers are wonderful (recipe is easily doubled). This can be served over rice or pasta, or with small boiled white potatoes. Prep time includes overnight marinating.
Provided by EdsGirlAngie
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- The day before cooking, marinate meat with crushed red peppers in a plastic bag or covered dish, overnight.
- Place onion slices, parsley, garlic and bay leaf in the bottom of a large heavy Dutch oven.
- Place meat on top, dot with butter, and pour combined wine and tomato sauce over all.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over very low heat for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is very tender and sauce is thickened.
- Serve with pasta, rice or boiled white potatoes.
PORTUGUESE BEEF - CACOILA
This is marinated beef, Portuguese style. As a variation to cooking, I place all ingredients in a slow cooker on high, stirring often, and cook for about 3 hours, until meat shreds itself.
Provided by John J Pacheco
Categories Portuguese Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Rinse beef, and place in large bowl. Pour in orange juice, wine, oil and pepper sauce. Season with bay leaves, garlic, paprika, allspice, salt and pepper. Mix, to coat beef. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook beef and marinade until beef shreds easily, about 1 hour. Add water as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 437.3 calories, Carbohydrate 10.8 g, Cholesterol 101.3 mg, Fat 30 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 28.5 g, SaturatedFat 11.9 g, Sodium 90.5 mg, Sugar 8 g
CACOILA (PORTUGUESE STEWED PORK)
You take an inexpensive piece of pork season it with a combination of spices and red wine, then slow cook to produce a tender and flavorful meal. In the south of Portugal the meat is cooked directly in the marinade (like this recipe) while some cooks in the north like to marinate the pork up to 2 days then cook it on a rack. Sometimes they slide a tray of cooked rice underneath the roast to catch the juices (the rice will have a strong flavor, not to everyone's taste). Please do not be tempted to use a more expensive cut, such as tenderloin, because it will not have the marbling necessary to keep the meat moist during the long cooking time. Serve with plain boiled potatoes and Portuguese hard rolls to soak up the pan juices.
Provided by threeovens
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cut excess fat from the pork and then cut into 2-inch cubes; place meat into an oven-safe casserole that has a lid.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over pork in casserole.
- Gently massage wine and seasonings into the meat and cover casserole; place in oven for about 2 1/2 hours.
- You will want to periodically check that the meat to be sure it is tenderizing and that the flavors are blending in; also, be sure that all the liquid does not evaporate (you can add additional wine or water).
- Once you can easily break the meat apart with a fork, it is done.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 562.4, Fat 35.8, SaturatedFat 12.4, Cholesterol 149.7, Sodium 286.4, Carbohydrate 7.2, Fiber 1.4, Sugar 4.4, Protein 43.2
More about "cacoila portuguese stewed beef recipes"
PORTUGUESE CACOILA PULLED PORK RECIPE - KITCHEN DREAMING
CAçOILA (PORTUGUESE PULLED PORK) - EVERYDAY PORTUGUESE
PORTUGUESE BEEF - CACOILA - PLAIN.RECIPES
CACOILA RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS.COM
CACOILA RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
BEST PORTUGUESE CACOILA RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
PORTUGUESE BEEF - CACOILA | RECIPESTY
PORTUGUESE BEEF STEW RECIPE – NORTHRICHLANDHILLSDENTISTRY
CAçOILA ~ PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF | RECIPE | CHEESECAKE MOUSSE ...
PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF (CAçOILA) RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
CAçOILA (PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF) - GOLD MEDAL WINE CLUB RECIPES
CAçOILA ( STEW IN A CAçOILA DISH) - PORTUGUESE COOKING
RECIPE CAçOILA (PORTUGUESE BEEF) - YOUTUBE
CAçOILA (PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF) - MSN
RECIPE: CAçOILA FROM PICO ISLAND (CAZUELA) - RECIPELINK.COM
CAçOULA (SPICY PULLED PORK) - EASY PORTUGUESE RECIPES
TOP 45 AUTHENTIC PORTUGUESE STEAK RECIPE-RECIPES
PORTUGUESE BEEF - CACOILA
CACOILA (PORTUGUESE) RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
PIMENTAL FAMILY CACOILA RECIPE – EVERYDAY PORTUGUESE
PORTUGUESE BEEF STEW RECIPES – NORTHRICHLANDHILLSDENTISTRY
WORLD BEST FLAKES : CACOILA (PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF)
CAçOILA ~ PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF
CAçOILA ~ PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF | RECIPE - PINTEREST
PORTUGUESE BEEF - CACOILA - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
CAçOILA ~ PORTUGUESE STEWED BEEF | RECIPE | PORTUGUESE RECIPES, …
PORTUGUESE BEEF STEW RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
TOP 49 CARAVELA PORTUGUESE STEAK RECIPE-RECIPES
You'll also love