SHORECOOK'S CASHEW BRITTLE
Through the years I have always made peanut brittle, but when my hubby could no longer have peanuts, I replaced them with cashews. This is one of my biggest requests at Christmas. It makes a nice thank-you gift as well and is a hit at bake sales.
Provided by SHORECOOK
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Combine cashews, sugar, and corn syrup in a large microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl. Microwave on high until sugar melts and mixture is hot, about 6 1/2 minutes.
- Stir 1 tablespoon butter and vanilla extract into cashew mixture. Microwave until hot, about 2 1/2 minutes more. Stir baking soda into cashew mixture until light and foamy. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet. Cool completely and break into pieces.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 175.6 calories, Carbohydrate 26.2 g, Cholesterol 4.1 mg, Fat 7.9 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 2.1 g, SaturatedFat 2.2 g, Sodium 189.3 mg, Sugar 17 g
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons butter all over a rimmed baking sheet until heavily coated.
- Stir sugar and corn syrup together in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 4 1/2 minutes. Stir and microwave for 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in cashews, 2 teaspoons butter, and salt. Microwave until mixture turns a light amber color, 1 minute to 1 minute 40 seconds; mixture will be very hot. Quickly stir in baking powder and vanilla extract until light and well mixed. Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet immediately and spread with a metal spatula.
- Place in the refrigerator until chilled, at least 20 minutes. Break into small pieces.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 212.1 calories, Carbohydrate 32.9 g, Cholesterol 2.8 mg, Fat 9 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 2.6 g, SaturatedFat 2.2 g, Sodium 263.1 mg, Sugar 21.2 g
I like this quick and easy recipe because it doesn't require a candy thermometer. It also makes a wonderful gift for nut lovers on your list. -Rhonda Glenn, Prince Frederick, Maryland
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 3/4 pound.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon butter., In a microwave-safe bowl, mix sugar and corn syrup; microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar; microwave 2 minutes longer. Stir in cashews and remaining butter; microwave on high for 40 seconds. Stir; continue microwaving in 20-second intervals until mixture turns a light amber color, about 1-2 minutes. (Mixture will be very hot.) Quickly stir in baking soda and vanilla until light and foamy., Immediately pour onto prepared pan, spreading with a metal spatula; cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, 15-20 minutes., Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 184 calories, Fat 6g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 2mg cholesterol, Sodium 170mg sodium, Carbohydrate 32g carbohydrate (29g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 2g protein.
- Heat oven to 200°F. Grease 2 large cookie sheets with butter; keep warm in oven. (Keeping the cookie sheets warm allows the candy to be spread 1/4 inch thick without it setting up.) Grease long metal spatula with butter; set aside.
- In small bowl, mix baking soda, 1 teaspoon water and the vanilla; set aside. In 3-quart saucepan, mix sugar, 1 cup water and the corn syrup. Cook over medium heat about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, to 240°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from water.
- Stir in butter and cashews. Cook about 13 minutes, stirring constantly, to 300°F or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. (Watch carefully so mixture does not burn.) Immediately remove from heat. Quickly stir in baking soda mixture until light and foamy.
- Pour half of candy mixture onto each cookie sheet and quickly spread about 1/4 inch thick with buttered spatula. Cool completely, at least 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 70, Carbohydrate 9 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Fat 1/2, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 35 mg, Sugar 6 g, TransFat 0 g
- Using vegetable oil, generously oil a sheet pan (preferably one with sides), at least 11 by 17 inches. In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cream of tartar and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer to test it, boil the mixture until it reaches 350 degrees, or is amber-colored. Remove from the heat and, working quickly, whisk in the cinnamon. Whisk in the butter, cashews, and baking soda. Pour the mixture onto the oiled pan and spread it out a bit with a wooden spoon, to about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thickness. Don't spread it too thinly. Let harden, uncovered, in a cool place, 30 to 45 minutes. (To wash the saucepan, soak it overnight.) Using your hands, break the brittle into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
My parents own a candy store and my Dad is always trying something with a twist. I love cashews so this is his answer for a brittle.
Provided by edgar5rus
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix baking soda, 1-teaspoon water and vanilla and set aside.
- Mix sugar, 1/2-cup water and the corn syrup in a copper constant stir kettle.
- Cook over medium heat until 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Add butter and cashews.
- Cook until 300 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Immediately turn off the heat.
- Quickly stir in baking soda mixture until light and foamy.
- Pour onto a half sheet pan, roll with a marble rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Cool completely: at least 1 hour.
- Break into pieces and store in a covered container.
- This makes about 3.25 lbs of brittle.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1209.5, Fat 55.4, SaturatedFat 14.3, Cholesterol 20.4, Sodium 957.7, Carbohydrate 177.4, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 120.5, Protein 15.8
COCONUT CASHEW BRITTLE
This rich buttery brittle has always been part of our Christmas candy collection. Lots of coconut and cashews ensures it's extra scrumptious. -Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 3 pounds.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Butter two 15x10x1-in. pans with 1 tablespoon butter each; set aside., Combine cashews and coconut on a third 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. , In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Add remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage)., Meanwhile, combine the vanilla, baking soda and remaining water. Remove saucepan from the heat; add cashews and coconut. Add baking soda mixture; stir until light and foamy. Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheets. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290 calories, Fat 17g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 20mg cholesterol, Sodium 277mg sodium, Carbohydrate 34g carbohydrate (27g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
BUTTERY CASHEW BRITTLE
Yummy brittle....just don't try to make it on a day with high humidity. It will turn out too sticky. Also, if your cashews aren't roasted, be sure to throw them in the oven for a bit.....it adds a great deal to the taste! The 20 minute prep time is the time to roast the cashews if necessary.
Provided by breezermom
Yield 2 1/2 pounds
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a large heavy saucepan; cook over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Add the butter, stirring gently until the butter melts.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes to wash down the sugar crystals from the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook to soft crack stage (280 degrees), stirring occasionally. Add cashews; cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches hard crack stage (300 degrees). Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda.
- Quickly, pour the mixture evenly into two buttered 15 x 10 x 1 inch jellyroll plans, and spread in a thin layer. Let cool completely; break into pieces.
- Store the candy in an airtight container.
SPICED CASHEW-COCONUT BRITTLE
Flavored with black pepper, cinnamon, and coconut, this cashew brittle shatters lightly when you bite into it, thanks to baking soda, which unleashes tiny air bubbles as it cooks. It's also open to improvisation: You can swap in popcorn and peanuts, dip it in tempered chocolate, or sprinkle it with flaky sea salt.
Provided by Sarah Carey
Yield Makes 15 pieces
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Spray an offset or other metal spatula. Stir together baking soda, cinnamon, and pepper. Combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/2 cup water, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is golden, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cashews and coconut; remove from heat. Carefully stir in baking-soda mixture (it will foam up in pan), then pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Quickly spread into an even layer with spatula. Let cool and harden completely, at least 30 minutes. Break into pieces; store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 month.
- Line a nonstick sheet pan with parchment or a silicone mat, and set aside.
- Heat the corn syrup, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook until the temperature reaches 310 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Once the mixture reaches 310 degrees F, remove from the stove; quickly add the baking soda, cashews, and butter, and keep stirring constantly. The mixture will stay opaque.
- Carefully pour the hot mixture onto the mat-or parchment-covered sheet pan, and spread across the pan with wooden spoon. Cool for 1 1/2 hours. Break into 2-inch pieces.
- A silicone mat works best to avoid a sticky clean-up; do not use waxed paper, which will melt and stick under the heat of the candy.
CASHEW AND CAYENNE BRITTLE
Brittle can be a showcase for a variety of ingredients, giving each homemade batch its owntexture and flavor. For recipes and inspiration, try one of our variations.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 1 sheet (about 9 by 11 inches)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Coat a 12-by-17-inchrimmed baking sheet withcooking spray. Bring sugarand corn syrup to a boil in amedium saucepan, stirringand brushing down sides witha wet pastry brush to preventsugar crystals from forming,until sugar dissolves. Cook,swirling occasionally, untilmixture just starts to turn goldenaround edge.
- Stir in mix-ins. Cook, stirringoccasionally, until mixtureis pale amber, about8 minutes. Pour onto bakingsheet without spreading.Let cool. Break into pieces.
More about "cashew brittle recipes"
BUTTERY CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.1/5 (60)Total Time 25 minsCategory Dessert, CandyCalories 310 per serving
THE BEST BRITTLE CANDY RECIPES
CASHEW BACON BRITTLE - TASTE AND TELL
TOASTED CASHEW AND BACON BRITTLE - CHOWHOUND
CASHEW COCONUT BRITTLE - LIFE IS A PARTY
CASHEW BRITTLE | RECIPES | DR. WEIL'S HEALTHY KITCHEN
CASHEW BRITTLE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
SPICED CASHEW BRITTLE AND CHOCOLATE CRUNCH BARK RECIPE
BUTTERY CASHEW BRITTLE - FEELING FOODISH
46 CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
RECIPE CASHEW BRITTLE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
HOMEMADE CASHEW BRITTLE | THE CHARMED KITCHEN
BEST-EVER NUT BRITTLE RECIPE - TINA UJLAKI | FOOD & WINE
10 BEST CASHEW BRITTLE WITHOUT CORN SYRUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
CASHEW BRITTLE - NUT CANDY RECIPES
CASHEW BRITTLE, THE BEST BRITTLE EVER - BLOSSOM TO STEM
THAI CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SALTED CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
THE EASIEST MICROWAVE CASHEW BRITTLE CANDY RECIPE
FIVE-SPICE CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
MAPLE CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
CASHEW BRITTLE - MY COUNTRY TABLE
CASHEW SESAME BRITTLE BY ANDREA NGUYEN | SALT + SPINE RECIPE
GOLDEN CASHEW-CURRY BRITTLE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
AIRY CASHEW BRITTLE - RECIPE - THE JOYFUL FOODIE
13 EASY BRITTLE CANDY RECIPES TO MAKE AT HOME - INSANELY GOOD
CASHEW RECIPES FROM CASHEW CHICKEN TO CASHEW BRITTLE | FOOD …
CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CASHEW BRITTLE BARS - BAKING BITES
CASHEW NUT BRITTLE | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE EASY - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
EASY CASHEW BRITTLE (DOUBLE CASHEWS!) - PINCH AND SWIRL
CARAMELIZED PEANUT BRITTLE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
CASHEW BRITTLE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #desserts #fruit #vegetables #candy #nuts
You'll also love