CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN SANDWICH
Here's how I build a Cuban, or Cubano, sandwich. I like to use pulled pork. Carnitas would work too. These ingredients and amounts are open to your own personal preferences, but here's the general idea.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne together in a bowl to make the sauce.
- Trim off ends of bread. Cut loaf in half and evenly split bread to make tops and bottoms of 2 sandwiches. Spread each half on both sides generously with the mayo/mustard sauce.
- Divide sandwich ingredients between the two bottom halves in this order: 2 slices Swiss cheese, 3 slices ham, hot cooked pork, pickle slices, and 2 more slices of Swiss cheese. Place tops on sandwiches.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches in skillet and press down with a heavy weight (such as another skillet or foil-wrapped bricks). Toast sandwiches until bread is crisp and filling is heated through, 3 or 4 minutes per side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1473.1 calories, Carbohydrate 85.4 g, Cholesterol 287.1 mg, Fat 85.2 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 88.2 g, SaturatedFat 37.3 g, Sodium 4076.6 mg, Sugar 4.2 g
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD
I didn't think I liked Cuban sandwiches until I had one on real Cuban bread--what a difference! This bread uses lard and a double-hit of yeast plus a fermented starter. All this adds extra flavor and lift.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine 1/2 cup warm water, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, and 1/2 cup flour in a bowl or measuring cup. Whisk the starter until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Place 1 package active dry yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in a mixing bowl. Pour in 3/4 cup warm water. Let rest 15 minutes to ensure yeast is alive (bubbles will form on surface). Add lard and salt to bowl; add 1 cup of the flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and dough forms a sticky ball. Add the starter (reserving 1/4 cup if you want to keep the starter going, if desired. Otherwise add it all.). Sprinkle most of the rest of the flour on the dough, reserving 1/2 cup to be used if needed when kneading.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until dough comes together in a firm ball, adding additional flour only as needed. Dough should be soft and supple with just a bit of tackiness on the surface.
- Place dough in a bowl and coat surface with a little vegetable oil. Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise. Let rise until at least doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and sprinkle with a little cornmeal.
- Transfer dough onto lightly floured surface. Lightly press the dough into a rectangle with your lightly floured hands. Divide dough in half and press and shape each half into a long 1/2-inch thick rectangle about 12 inches long. Roll up tightly starting at the long end to form a skinny loaf. Flatten a bit. Transfer each loaf to a prepared baking sheet and dust with a bit of flour. Cover with a light, dry towel and let rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cut a 1/4-inch deep slit down the top of the loaves with a sharp knife or razor. Mist loaves lightly with water.
- Place pans in pre-heated oven, one pan on lower rack, one on higher rack. After 10 minutes, switch pan positions. Continue to bake until loaves are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer loaves to cooling rack and let cool to room temperature before slicing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 169.1 calories, Carbohydrate 29.4 g, Cholesterol 3 mg, Fat 3.6 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 4.1 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 389.5 mg, Sugar 0.8 g
More about "chef johns cuban bread recipes"
EASY CUBAN BREAD RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOW TO MAKE CUBANOS WITH HOMEMADE CUBAN BREAD - YOUTUBE
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN SANDWICH - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHEF JOHN CUBAN SANDWICH RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | ALLRECIPES
CUBAN SANDWICH | SMOKING MEAT FORUMS - THE BEST SMOKING MEAT …
FRENCH BAGUETTE - HOW TO MAKE BAGUETTES AT HOME - NO-KNEAD …
CHEF JOHN'S 5-STAR BREAD RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD - PLAIN.RECIPES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD - RECIPELER
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD - WHITE BREAD RECIPES
CUBAN BREAD AUTHENTIC PAN CUBANO RECIPE - HOME STRATOSPHERE
210 CHEF JOHN RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES …
CUBAN PORK SANDWICH (CUBANOS) FROM CHEF MOVIE - RECIPETIN EATS
CHEF JOHN CUBAN BREAD RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPESTY
CHEF JOHN CUBAN BREAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN SANDWICH - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | CUBAN BREAD, HOMEMADE …
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN SANDWICH - MASTERCOOK
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | CUBAN BREAD, CHEF, RIMMED …
CUBAN BREAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CUBAN BREAD FOR CUBANO
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | CUBAN BREAD, BREAD, RECIPES
BREAD FOR CUBAN SANDWICH RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD TASTY RECIPES - VIDEO RECIPES SEARCH
CHEF JOHN BREAD - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND …
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | CUBAN BREAD, CUBAN RECIPES, …
900+ CHEF JOHN'S RECIPES IDEAS IN 2022 - PINTEREST
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | CUBAN BREAD, BREAD, CHEF
LONG JOHNS RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
FOOD WISHES VIDEO RECIPES: CUBAN BREAD - BLOGGER
CUBAN BREAD PAN CUBANO : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
JON FAVREAU'S CUBANO RECIPE | GOOP
CUBAN SANDWICH – SWEET THOUGHT
TOP 37 CHEF JOHNS CUBAN BREAD RECIPE - SHARE RECIPES
PUERTO RICAN BREAD VS CUBAN BREAD – NORTHRICHLANDHILLSDENTISTRY
CHEF JOHN'S CUBAN BREAD | RECIPE | BREAD, WHITE BREAD RECIPE, …
You'll also love