RICE-STUFFED CORNISH HENS
"I found this recipe in a cookbook many years ago, and it's become one of my favorites," reports Gloria Leiding of Fairmont, Minnesota. "It's a nice change of pace from the usual beef or pork. These game hens always seem festive."
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a saucepan, cook and stir the rice, onion and almonds in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 5 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Stir in the water, bouillon, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 16-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in mushrooms., Sprinkle outside and cavity of hens with pepper and remaining salt. Stuff hens with rice mixture. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Melt remaining butter; brush half over hens., Cover and bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 998 calories, Fat 68g fat (24g saturated fat), Cholesterol 386mg cholesterol, Sodium 1350mg sodium, Carbohydrate 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 63g protein.
CORNISH HENS WITH RICE STUFFING
I came across this recipe a few years ago around Thanksgiving. The golden, juicy hens and festive rice stuffing make a memorable feast for two. Best of all, we're not eating leftovers for days on end.-Kathy Meyer, Kenosha, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Set the seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and pecans; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is golden brown. Stir in the orange juice, water, raisins and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. , Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each hen; refrigerate remaining rice mixture. Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper., Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Heat reserved rice mixture; serve with hens.
Nutrition Facts : Fat 75 g fat (20 g saturated fat), Cholesterol 328 mg cholesterol, Sodium 1,993 mg sodium, Carbohydrate 97 g carbohydrate, Fiber 5 g fiber, Protein 64 g protein.
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH CHERRY-RICE STUFFING
- Preheat oven to 425°F In skillet melt 2 tbsp butter over med heat.
- Add celery and shallots; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 4 minute Remove from heat; stir in rice, cherries, apricots, parsley, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Rub hens with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Fill cavities with stuffing.
- Place on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast 15 minute Reduce oven temp to 350F roast 45 minute.
- Stir 1 tbsp water into jam; brush over hens.
- Roast until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180F, about 15 minute.
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat. Saute the onions and celery until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 1 minute more. In a mixing bowl combine the onion mixture with the rice, parsley, nuts and dried fruits and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place 1/2 cup of the stuffing into the cavity of each hen. Tie the legs of each bird together with kitchen twine.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Melt the remaining butter with the vinegar. Brush the birds all over with the butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Put the hens on a rack in a large roasting pan, breast-side up. Roast the hens until an instant read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 170 degrees F., about 80 minutes. Set the birds aside at room temperature, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before carving. Split hens in half through the breast with a sharp knife or poultry shears, and keep the stuffing intact. Arrange birds skin-side up, on a platter, garnish with sprigs of parsley and serve.
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING
My mother used to make this for Easter dinner. The rice stuffing is a perfect partner for the hens. Packaged wild rice mix can be used as well.
Provided by MOMMYCOFFEY
Categories 100+ Everyday Cooking Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the almonds, onion, and uncooked wild rice. Saute 5 to 10 minutes. Mix in the water, chicken bouillon cube, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 45 minutes until rice is tender and easily fluffed with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Season the Cornish game hens inside and out with salt, and stuff with the rice mixture. Place the hens breast side up on a rack in a baking pan. Brush with 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Cover the baking pan, and cook the hens 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue cooking 1 hour, or until the hens are no longer pink and the juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 396.9 calories, Carbohydrate 11.3 g, Cholesterol 128.9 mg, Fat 32.3 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 15.8 g, SaturatedFat 15.8 g, Sodium 1341.1 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
CORNISH HENS WITH BROWN RICE STUFFING
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse hens inside and out and pat dry. Season the hens, inside and out, with salt and black pepper. Place hens in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add brown rice and thyme and stir to combine. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth, cover and bring mixture to a simmer. Allow rice to cook for 3 minutes then add the sun-dried tomatoes and bell pepper. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from heat and spoon rice mixture loosely into cavity of hens. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth into bottom of pan.
- Place hens in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until juices from thigh run clear when pierced with a fork, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.
- Remove the hens from the oven and transfer to a platter. Pour the pan juices over top and serve.
- Serving suggestion: Serve the stuffed hens with cranberry sauce and a side dish of fresh or frozen snow peas sauteed in a little olive oil and seasoned with salt and crushed red pepper.
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH CHEESY RICE STUFFING
Found this years ago on the internet, and have since made it several times with rave reviews. Don't accidentally double the cheese as I once did. The celery can be replaced with carrots if you don't normally buy it. I have never added the mushrooms.
Provided by PinkPanther
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add rice, celery and onions, cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms if using.
- Mix in cheddar cheese.
- Season birds with salt and pepper, then stuff. Place extra stuffing mixture in separate pan.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a pan. Cover with foil.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and continue roasting for 45 minutes, or until done. Baste occasionally with butter.
- The extra stuffing is added covered during the last 45 minutes. Remove the cover the last 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 849.7, Fat 50.6, SaturatedFat 28.8, Cholesterol 337.8, Sodium 904.7, Carbohydrate 28.2, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 1.2, Protein 66.9
GAME HEN STUFFED WITH WILD RICE AND MUSHROOMS
This recipe isn't too difficult, but it looks like an expensive restaurant meal! It is the perfect way to fix up that pheasant, duck or even just a Cornish game hen from your local grocery store. This recipe is made with a Cornish game hen in mind, so if you are using a larger bird, you may want to adjust the amount of the ingredients.
Provided by Stephanie Teeter
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring the rice, a pinch of salt, and water to a boil in a saucepan with a lid. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer the wild rice until the kernels burst open, 45 to 50 minutes. Replenish the water if necessary. Fluff the rice with a fork, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb water.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the game hen.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, and cook and stir the mushrooms over medium heat until they are partially cooked and starting to give their juice, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir the mushrooms and butter into the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle the game hen, inside and out, with poultry seasoning, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Lightly stuff the Cornish hen with the wild rice mixture, and tie the legs together with cooking twine to hold in the stuffing. Slice 2 tablespoons of butter into small pats, and dot them around the bird.
- Bake the bird in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 40 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove the game hen from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 522.3 calories, Carbohydrate 34.3 g, Cholesterol 136.4 mg, Fat 34.4 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 21.9 g, SaturatedFat 17.7 g, Sodium 213.6 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
CRANBERRY-STUFFED CORNISH GAME HENS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread out diced bread on a rimmed baking sheet; toastin oven, turning occasionally, until light brown and dry, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add leek, mushrooms, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in bread, chopped sage, parsley, mustard, thyme, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, and 1/2 cup broth.
- Spoon stuffing into bird cavities; tie legs together with kitchen twine. Rub birds with butter, then sprinkle with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Arrange birds on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan. Roast until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs (avoiding bone) registers 170 degrees, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer rack with birds to a rimmed baking sheet, and let rest.
- Set roasting pan on top of stove across two burners; set heat to medium-high. Add port and remaining 1/4 cup broth; deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from bottom with a wooden spoon. Add remaining 1/4 cup dried cranberries; cook, stirring, until sauce reduces slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place birds on a serving platter, and drizzle sauce over them. Garnish with sage leaves, if desired, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 487 g, Cholesterol 223 g, Fat 13 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 53 g, Sodium 759 g
More about "cornish game hens with rice stuffing recipes"
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING - PLAIN.RECIPES
CORNISH GAME HEN RECIPES ROASTED : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
ROASTED STUFFED CORNISH HEN RECIPE | SWEET PEA'S KITCHEN
ROCK CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE AND LIVER STUFFING
BAKED STUFFED CORNISH GAME HENS - JULIAS SIMPLY SOUTHERN
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH CHEESY RICE STUFFING - ARKANSAS LIVING …
CORNISH GAME HENS STUFFED WITH WILD RICE - GREEN MOUNTAIN GRILLS
HERB-ROASTED CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING
CORNISH HENS WITH APPLE-CRANBERRY RICE STUFFING - STRIPED …
10 BEST CORNISH HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING RECIPES
CORNISH GAME BANTAMS FOR SALE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CORNISH HEN RECIPES FOR THANKSGIVING - ANIBAL CARMAN
ROASTED CORNISH HENS WITH FESTIVE RICE STUFFING — MY DIARY OF US
SLOW COOKER WILD RICE STUFFED CORNISH GAME HEN RECIPE
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
10 BEST CORNISH HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING RECIPES
CORNISH GAME HEN STUFFED WITH RICE RECIPES
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE STUFFING - FOOD NETWORK
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE, MUSHROOM AND SAUSAGE STUFFING
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH CHEESY RICE STUFFING - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - THERESCIPES.INFO
CORNISH GAME HEN RECIPE WITH MANDARINE ORANGE RICE
STUFFED CORNISH HEN RECIPES RICE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CORNISH GAME HEN WITH WILD RICE STUFFING - YOUTUBE
RECIPE CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - YOUTUBE
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - EVERYDAY COOKING RECIPES
RECIPE: CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - RECIPELINK.COM
FRUITED RICE STUFFED CORNISH HENS - THE MIDNIGHT BAKER
ROASTED CORNISH GAME STUFFED HENS RECIPE | TRAEGER GRILLS
CORNISH HENS WITH SPINACH, FETA CHEESE, AND RICE STUFFING
LAUGH, LOVE AND EAT: GLAZED CORNISH HENS WITH PECAN RICE STUFFING
APRICOT GLAZED CORNISH GAME HENS WITH SAUSAGE RICE PILAF …
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM STUFFING
SAFFRON RICE & CHORIZO STUFFED CORNISH GAME HENS - MARX FOOD
CORNISH HENS WITH RICE STUFFING - OLGA'S FLAVOR FACTORY
CORNISH GAME HENS WITH RICE STUFFING | RECIPE | RICE STUFFING, …
ROASTED CORNISH GAME HENS & WILD RICE-FIG STUFFING
You'll also love