SIMPLE CRUSTY BREAD
We thought we'd landed upon the simplest yeast bread recipe in 2007, when Mark Bittman wrote about the no-knead approach of Jim Lahey, owner of Sullivan Street Bakery. It quickly became (and remains) one of our most popular recipes because it made bakery-quality bread a real possibility for home cooks. But then we heard about Jeff Hertzberg, a physician from Minneapolis, who devised a streamlined technique for a crusty loaf of bread. Mix flour, salt, yeast and water. Let it sit a bit, refrigerate it, take some out and let it rise, then bake it. The crusty, full-flavored loaf that results may be the world's easiest yeast bread.
Provided by Nick Fox
Categories breads, side dish
Yield 4 loaves
Number Of Ingredients 4
- In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).
- Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.
- Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.
- Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.
CRUSTY HOMEMADE BREAD
Crackling homemade bread makes an average day extraordinary. Enjoy this beautiful crusty bread recipe as is, or stir in a few favorites like cheese, garlic, herbs and dried fruits. -Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 1 loaf (16 pieces).
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Using a rubber spatula, stir in 3-1/2 cups flour and salt to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise at room temperature 1 hour., Stir down dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; with floured hands pat into a 9-in. square. Fold square into thirds, forming a 9x3-in. rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3-in. square. Place in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise at room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour., Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl; refrigerate, covered, overnight., Grease the bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with sides at least 4 in. high; dust pan with cornmeal. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead gently 6-8 times; shape into a 6-in. round loaf. Place into prepared pan; dust top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover pan and let rise at room temperature until dough expands to a 7-1/2-in. loaf, about 1-1/4 hours. , Preheat oven to 500°. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 in. deep) across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes., Reduce oven setting to 450°. Remove foil; bake bread until deep golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 105 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 296mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD (BREADMAKER)
This is a big, beautiful, delicious loaf. Don't let the list of ingredients put you off. I also make this bread using a couple of loaf pans. They are not as pretty, but they are easier to slice for sandwiches and toast. All purpose flour is different in the U.S. than Canada. Canadian all-purpose flour has more protein than the...
Provided by Elaine Douglas
Categories Other Breads
Number Of Ingredients 12
- 1. Choose whole grain setting or the dough setting. Put ingredients in pan according to your machines' instructions. - I prefer to use the dough method and finish it in the oven because the loaf is prettier and because the amount of dough is a bit too big for my bread machine at 2-lb. setting.
- 2. If using the dough method, when the dough is ready punch it down and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, stretching dough all around and pinching underneath to shape. Dust top with flour; place on greased baking sheet. Cover with clean towel and let rise until doubled in bulk (45 to 60 minutes).
- 3. Using a serrated knife slice shallow grid pattern on top of loaf. Bake in center of 350 degree F. oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. (You can also check using an instant-read thermometer - 190-200 degrees.)
- 4. Remove from pan and let cool on rack before slicing. Makes one big loaf, 24 slices.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, shortening and 3 1/3 cups warm water.
- Gradually mix in 10 cups of flour. Add up to 2 more cups until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead for 10 minutes. Cover the bowl and let rise for 1 hour until dough doubles in size.
- Punch down dough, form into 4 loaves, place into loaf pans and let rise again until double in size(about an hour).
- Place in preheated oven at 375 degrees and bake until golden brown (about 35 Minutes).
- This recipe also works well halfed.
- For whole wheat bread, substitute 4 cups of whole wheat flour mixed with 6 to 8 cups of white flour.
- I cool slice and freeze the extra laoves for later.
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD
From Canadian living . Have not made yet and times are approximate I have also included direactions for using an ABM Makes one loaf
Provided by wicked cook 46
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 24 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in honey, butter and egg. With wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, cornmeal, bran, millet and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to form slightly sticky dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface; knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, dusting with as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead into round loaf, stretching dough down all around and pinching underneath to shape. Dust top with flour; place on greased baking sheet. Cover with clean towel; let rise until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Using serrated knife, slash shallow grid pattern on top of loaf. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
- Additional Information.
- Bread Machine Crunchy Farmhouse Bread: Choose whole grain setting; let baked loaf cool on rack.
- Bread Machine Fill-Up.
- The order of ingredients going into the bread machine differs from the handmade method. Generally, the machine should be filled as follows, unless, of course, the manufacturer's instructions say otherwise.
- Into pan of 2-lb (1 kg) bread machine, add (in order) wet ingredients such as water, milk, buttermilk, oil, butter, egg, yogurt, honey and syrup. Then add any sugar and salt. Next add dry ingredients such as flour, bran, oats, seeds, cornmeal and millet. Sprinkle yeast over top, without letting yeast touch liquid. Choose appropriate setting.
More about "crunchy farmhouse bread recipes"
RUSTIC ITALIAN CRUSTY BREAD RECIPE VIDEO • CIAOFLORENTINA
4.9/5 (60)Calories 370 per servingCategory Baked Goods
- In a large mixing bowl or your kitchen aid mixer add the flour, salt and yeast. Use a spatula or the paddle attachment and mix to combine well.
- Pour in the warm water and keep mixing until everything is incorporated and a soft dough has formed. It will still stick to the bottom of the bowl and that is OK.
- Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap loosely and a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours until doubled in size.
- Sprinkle some flour on your kitchen counter and dump the bread dough on it. Flour your hands to help it out of the bowl as it will be sticky. Don't panic, this is normal.
BEST NO-KNEAD BREAD - CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET
5/5 (8)Total Time 45 minsCategory BreadCalories 275 per serving
CAST IRON FARMHOUSE BREAD BRUNCH SIDE WITH BUTTER - RECIPES
Servings 1Category Brunch
- Add two cups (470 milliliters) flour, salt, and yeast to a bowl, and stir to combine. Pour in water and stir until incorporated into a sticky dough. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel. Let sit 15 hours.
- Remove cloth from dough. Flour the counter with the remaining flour. Turn the dough out onto the counter and knead to incorporate the flour. Shape into a ball and place in a greased mixing bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel. Let rest one hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 F (230 C). Once hot, place Dutch oven into oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove Dutch oven from oven. Sprinkle the bottom with cornmeal. Place dough ball inside. Cut a slash in the top using a knife. Cover Dutch oven and put back in oven.
SIMPLE CRUSTY WHITE BREAD RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
4.4/5 (24)Total Time 5 hrsCuisine SouthernPublished 2014-08-13
- If using instant or fresh yeast, combine flour and all of the water in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. If using active dry yeast, combine flour with 650g water and combine yeast with 50g warm water; let yeast stand until foamy.
- Add salt, along with either the instant yeast, fresh yeast, or the active-dry yeast solution, and mix at low speed or by hand until salt and yeast are fully incorporated and dough is smooth.
- Turn stand mixer up to medium-high speed and mix until the dough feels elastic and bounces partway back when indented with your thumb, about 3-5 minutes.
- Working with oiled hands, gently transfer dough, being careful not to tear its surface, to a lightly oiled mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer dough in one piece to a lightly floured work surface. Using a bench knife, divide dough in half and shape each portion into a ball. Dust the tops of the dough balls with flour, cover with a towel, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough into rounds once again, gently folding the dough over itself similar to how you did before, but even more carefully now. Now flip the dough ball over so that the seams you just created are on the bottom and a smooth surface is on top.
- Meanwhile, set a Dutch oven on the oven's bottom rack and preheat oven to 500°F (260°C)(if your oven has a convection setting, do not use it).
- Remove 1 loaf from the refrigerator and gently turn it out, seam-side down, into the preheated Dutch oven. With a razor or paring knife, score the full surface of the dough with 2 parallel lines roughly 3 inches apart.
- Transfer loaf to a wire rack. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. Return Dutch oven to oven, and reheat at 500°F (260°C) for 10 minutes. Then repeat with the remaining ball of dough.
EASIEST RUSTIC BREAD RECIPE EVER | SIMPLE & DELICIOUS ...
4.5/5 (27)Total Time 2 hrsCategory Side Dish
- Mix water, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Let sit for about 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add flour and salt. Mix until combined into a soft dough. (The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch, but not so that much comes off on your hands. If it’s too sticky to handle, add ¼ cup flour at a time.)
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and kitchen towel. Let rise for 1-3 hours, if possible! I’ve run out of time before and let it rise for only 30-60 mins and it still works, but the longer, the better!
- Preheat oven to 450°F and put a pizza stone or flipped-over cookie sheet in the oven to heat up.
HOW TO MAKE CRUSTY BREAD | KING ARTHUR BAKING
- To make crusty bread, choose the right recipe. On the left, soft, butter-and-milk enriched pull-apart dinner rolls. On the right, a crusty Italian loaf.
- Shape the dough with more rather than less surface area. A big, fat, round or oval loaf – a boule – doesn't have as much opportunity to shine in the crisp crust department as does a thin baguette, or individual rolls.
- To make crusty bread, create steam in the oven. Remember the artisan bakers I mentioned at the beginning, those masters of the perfect crusty crust? They have a professional secret: the steam-injected oven.
- Bake on a pizza stone or steel. Many bakers find they can create a decent crisp top crust, but struggle to make their bread's bottom crusty, as well.
- To keep bread crusty, cool baked loaves in the oven. This may sound like an oxymoron – cool bread in the oven? – but it works. Once the bread is baked, turn off the oven.
ARTISAN BREAD: THE EASY WAY - HANDMADE FARMHOUSE
Cuisine American, ItalianEstimated Reading Time 6 minsCategory Side Dish
CRISPY FARMHOUSE BREAD - THE BEST RECIPE AT HOBBY, HOME
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
RECIPE: CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD (WITH BREAD MACHINE ...
Category Breads-Yeast BreadsReply to RecipeFrom Betsy at Recipelink.com, 09-22-2002
THE BEST CRUSTY BREAD RECIPE IN THE WORLD - A HYGGE HOMESTEAD
Servings 4Total Time 50 minsCategory Side Dish, Snack
THE BEST SPECIALTY AND ARTISANAL BREAD RECIPE COLLECTION ...
KETO AND LOW CARB BREAD COLLECTION - LOW CARB NO CARB
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD | RECIPE | FARMHOUSE BREAD RECIPE ...
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD RECIPES
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE ...
CRUNCHY HONEY WHEAT BREAD RECIPES
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD (BREADMAKER) | RECIPE | FARMHOUSE ...
👑 THE BEST CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD
CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD | CANADIAN LIVING
SEARCH FOR FARMHOUSE BREAD AT HOBBY, HOME AND GARDEN ...
BAKED CRISPY CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE | RECIPELION.COM
BEST COOKING BREADS RECIPES: CRUNCHY FARMHOUSE BREAD
#time-to-make #course #preparation #for-large-groups #healthy #breads #bread-machine #dietary #yeast #equipment #small-appliance #number-of-servings #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you Make Your homemade bread?Made by hand, with active dry instant yeast, flour and water and baked on a hot pizza stone. I made us the perfect bread for soups, stews, bruschetta and to use for sandwiches / panini all week long. A spin on my Italian pizza dough, except I use warm water to make the bread.
How to make crusty bread in 2 hours?Mix together flour, salt and instant yeast and let it rise for 2 hours. Yes, just 2 hours for crusty bread you guys! Then you bake it on a preheated pizza stone (<–amazon), for a peasant style loaf that crackles in your hands like a dream, yet still soft on the inside. Perfect for dipping or to dunk into a bowl of vegetable soup .
How do you make crusty bread in Wisconsin?Enjoy this beautiful crusty bread recipe as is, or stir in a few favorites like cheese, garlic, herbs and dried fruits. —Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Using a rubber spatula, stir in 3-1/2 cups flour and salt to form a soft, sticky dough.
How long does it take to make rustic bread?Our rustic bread recipe is so simple, using only 5 ingredients that you likely have stashed in your cupboards. In just a few hours, you'll have the most delicious bread that has an amazingly crispy crust and is pillow-soft inside! There's nothing better than homemade bread, fresh out of the oven.