Homemade biscuits add a warm and comforting touch to any meal. My grandmother makes these tender biscuits to go with her seafood chowder. -Melissa Obernesser, Utica, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 biscuits.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened., Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat dough into a 10x4-in. rectangle. Cut rectangle lengthwise in half; cut crosswise to make 10 squares., Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet; brush tops with egg. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 165 calories, Fat 7g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 20mg cholesterol, Sodium 371mg sodium, Carbohydrate 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
GRANDMA GERALDINE'S FAMOUS BISCUITS
Eddie Jackson can pinpoint the moment he began falling in love with food: the first time he rolled out homemade biscuit dough with his grandmother Geraldine. She was the head chef at the high school in his hometown, Americus, GA, for more than 45 years, and as a kid Eddie spent mornings in the cafeteria, helping her prep. "Seeing how excited the kids would get as they came through the breakfast line to get my grandmother's biscuits stuck with me," Eddie says. The women in his family have passed down the recipe for generations. This recipe works for drop biscuits or cutouts. "My grandmother would do both," Eddie says.
Provided by Eddie Jackson
Yield About 12 biscuits
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 450˚ F. Sift 2 cups flour, the salt, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix in the lard with a fork or your fingers until well blended.
- Gradually add the buttermilk until the dough is wet and sticky (but not too wet), then add the remaining 3 tablespoons flour until the dough comes together and is kneadable. Either pinch off 2-inch biscuits or pat out the dough until ½ inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut out biscuits with a floured 2-inch round cutter; arrange on a baking sheet. Brush the tops of the biscuits with buttermilk.
- Bake the biscuits until golden brown on top, 15 to 17 minutes.
GRANDMA'S BAKING POWDER BISCUITS
This is my grandmother's biscuit recipe. It is my all-time favorite and has a really good flavor to it. Be sure not to roll out too thin, you want high biscuits! I usually just pat out the dough to the desired thickness, usually 1/2 inch.
Provided by IMACOOKY1
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt into a bowl. Use a pastry cutter to chop vegetable shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and milk together in a separate bowl and slowly add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring as you pour, until dough is moistened and well-mixed. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits have risen and are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 173.3 calories, Carbohydrate 19.1 g, Cholesterol 16.6 mg, Fat 9.4 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 3.1 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 271.3 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
GRANDMA'S ANGEL BISCUITS
My grandma's recipe - grandmas are always the best cooks :) Tried it a couple of years ago for in-laws thanksgiving - bit hit. I'm actually not sure on the yield and servings...I can't remember.
Provided by Derfette
Yield 24 biscuits, 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in buttermilk, set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in liquid mix from steps 1 & 2.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead 3-4 times.
- Roll to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with biscuit cutter.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet, cover and let rise in warm place 1.5 hours.
- Bake at 450 degrees 8-10 minutes.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 382.8, Fat 18, SaturatedFat 4.6, Cholesterol 1.6, Sodium 821.7, Carbohydrate 48, Fiber 1.7, Sugar 7.6, Protein 7.2
GRANDMA LOVE'S BISCUITS
I call these Grandma Love's biscuits, but really they came off of the Clabber Girl Baking Powder can, although it is not there anymore. Grandma always served these on Christmas morning or with gravy at Grandpa's request. Twenty years later, they are still my favorite biscuit.
Provided by NancyAnne
Yield 24 biscuits (or so), 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat oven to 425°F
- Sift together into a bowl the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Add the butter or margarine. With a fork or a pastry blender cut the butter in util the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the milk and the egg, just until combined. Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead lightly 4 or 5 strokes. Roll or pat (being careful to handle the dough as little as necessary) into a 1/2-3/4-inch thick round. Cut with a biscuit cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet, farther apart if you like crispy edges, and closer together if you like them soft.
- Bake at 425F for 10-15 minutes. (For elevations of 500 feet or more use 4 teaspoons of baking powder.).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 242.9, Fat 12.8, SaturatedFat 7.8, Cholesterol 50.3, Sodium 377.2, Carbohydrate 27.8, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 2.8, Protein 4.4
More about "grandmas secret biscuits recipes"
HOW TO MAKE YOUR GRANDMA’S OLD-FASHIONED BISCUITS FOR …
Servings 14Total Time 20 mins
GRANDMA’S BISCUITS - SUSAN RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
GRANDMA’S BISCUITS !! - WHYRECIPENOW
GEORGIA GRANDMAS BISCUIT RECIPE VIDEO GOES VIRAL ON FACEBOOK
MAKE FROM SCRATCH: GRANDMA'S BISCUITS - BARGAINBRIANA
GRANDMA B’S BISCUITS - ISLAND FARMS
GRANDMA'S AFGHAN BISCUITS - JUST A MUM
GRANDMA'S BEST BUTTERMILK BISCUITS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GRANDMA'S BUTTERMILK BISCUITS - DIVAS CAN COOK
PAT WILBANKS' BISCUIT RECIPE GOES VIRAL WITH COOKING VIDEO
GRANDMA'S SECRET RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
GRANDMA'S FLAKY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS - COOKING MANIAC
GRANDMA’S BISCUITS! – ALL RECIPES GUIDE
GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED BISCUITS - MOTHER WOULD KNOW
GRANDMA’S BISCUITS! - RECIPES NEED
HOT AND FLUFFY HOMEMADE BISCUITS, JUST LIKE GRANDMA ... - DEVOUR …
GRANDMA'S 7 BEST BISCUIT RECIPES - BIG FAMILY LITTLE INCOME
GRANDMA'S RECIPES - ANGEL BISCUITS - FEASTS OF HISTORY
GRANDMA'S COPYCAT BISCUITS - SWEET SOUTHERN OAKS
GRANDMA'S SECRET RECIPES | HOMEMADE BISCUITS, BISCUIT RECIPE, …
GRANDMA'S EASY SHORTBREAD BISCUITS - BAKING FOR HAPPINESS
GRANDMA’S OLD FASHIONED BISCUITS-LITTLE SPROUTS LEARNING
OLD FASHIONED COOKING: MY GRANDMA’S BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
GRANDMA'S KITCHEN RECIPES SUPER SECRET BISCUITS AND GRAVY
GRANDMA'S SECRET RECIPES - HOME - FACEBOOK
GRANDMA'S FLAKY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS RECIPES
GRANDMA JOHNSON'S BISCUITS - YOUTUBE
GRANDMA'S HOMEMADE BISCUIT RECIPE - DELISHABLY
GRANDMA'S PEANUT BUTTER BISCUITS: THE BEST, BUT I'M BIASED
GRANDMA'S BISCUITS RECIPE - R&M INTERNATIONAL
15 CLASSIC GRANDMA DESSERTS YOU'LL LOVE TO MAKE AND SHARE
GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED BISCUITS | MOTHER WOULD KNOW | RECIPE
GRANDMA'S SKILLET BISCUITS | GIRL RAISED IN THE SOUTH
GRANDMA’S BISCUITS & GRAVY CASSEROLE - STOLENRECIPES.NET
SOUTHERN GRANDMA MAKES 4-INGREDIENT BISCUITS - COUNTRY MUSIC …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What makes old fashioned biscuits taste like Grandmas?Many old fashioned biscuit recipes call for shortening, but you never get the flavor from shortening as you do from real butter. I freeze my butter and grate it into the flour mixture and toss the flower over it so the butter stays in those small grates. This secret is what sealed the deal on my old fashioned biscuits being like grandmas.
What is the best way to make biscuits?Wet dough makes the best biscuits! Fold the dough over several times. (This will create layers.) Pat the dough out into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Dip the biscuit cutter into flour and cut out the biscuits. (do not twist the cutter) Place biscuits on pan, with the sides touching. Brush tops of biscuits with a very light coating of mayonnaise.
How long to bake biscuits at 450 degrees?Directions 1 Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Advertisement 2 Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt into a bowl. ... 3 Bake in the preheated oven until biscuits have risen and are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
How do you make fluffy buttermilk biscuits?TRIED & TRUE* SOUTHERN, FROM-SCRATCH BUTTERMILK BISCUITS THAT BAKE UP TENDER AND FLUFFY! SO EASY TO MAKE! In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar. Cut in butter-flavored shortening with a pastry cutter. Grate in butter, tossing occasionally. Stir in buttermilk until dough is wet and sticky.