- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups stock to a boil. Add orzo; cook until al dente, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Heat remaining 2 cups stock until hot; do not boil.
- In an electric mixer, beat eggs with whisk until fluffy; add cornstarch mixture and lemon juice. With mixer on medium-low speed, slowly add one to two cups hot stock until incorporated and mixture thickens slightly. Add any remaining stock to orzo.
- Over low heat, slowly add egg mixture to orzo, stirring constantly until thickened and creamy. Do not let it come to a boil; the eggs will curdle. Serve immediately.
GREEK AVGOLEMONO STEW
Posted this because of a to-die-for soup I recently made (see Sage's recipe #169328), converted into a stew. A classic Greek dish from a vegetarian "minute meals" cookbook. Delicious, easy and fast. Serve with a simple tomato and feta salad. Use a top-quality broth if you can. As written it turns out like a soupy-ish stew. P.S. I like to cook the stew long enough so the eggs coagulate, so I would personally simmer for about 5 minutes after adding eggs.
Provided by Kumquat the Cats fr
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine vegetable broth, chickpeas with liquid, rice and onions in large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the carrots and reduce the heat so that the liquid boils gently. Cover and cook until the rice is tender but slightly firm to the bite, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a small bowl, add lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the stew into the eggs and stir. Still stirring, slowly pour the egg-lemon broth mixture into the stew. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.2, Fat 4, SaturatedFat 1, Cholesterol 105.8, Sodium 401.4, Carbohydrate 43.1, Fiber 6.7, Sugar 2.6, Protein 11
GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP AKA AVGOLEMONO
Provided by Jeff Mauro, host of Sandwich King
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large stockpot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and then lower to a simmer. Simmer until the chicken is just cooked through and the internal temperature registers 160 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes; remove to a bowl. Once cooled, shred the chicken and reserve.
- Add the orzo or rice to the pot with the chicken stock and cook until al dente, 5 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and most of the lemon juice, reserving some to add later as needed. Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Once combined, ladle in some hot stock to temper the egg mixture, whisking constantly and adding the hot liquid slowly. Very slowly, add the warm whipped egg/lemon mixture into the pot, whisking constantly to prevent any curds or clumps from forming. Continue to cook over medium-low to medium heat, whisking, until the soup thickens, about 10 minutes more.
- Add the shredded chicken and any reserved juices to the soup. Add the lemon zest and season with salt and plenty of freshly cracked black pepper. Taste and add additional lemon juice if needed. Garnish with chopped parsley.
TRADITIONAL LAMB FRICASSéE WITH AVGOLEMONO SAUCE
- Trim most of the visible fat from the lamb then cut the meat into 1½" - 2" chunks. Pat down the lamb to remove any excess moisture then brown it on all sides over medium-high heat in the olive oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the leeks, onions, and celery to the pot and sauté until the vegetables soften. Add the chicken stock to cover the mixture and season it generously with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 40 minutes.
- Mince the dill, reserving some for garnish. Chop the lettuce and add it to the pot, along with the dill. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or, until the lamb is fork-tender and a small amount of liquid (about a cup or so) remains in the pot. Turn off the heat.
- Prepare the egg-lemon (avgolemono) sauce. In a small bowl whisk the egg whites with the teaspoon of cold water and a little corn flour until very frothy. Whisk in the egg yolks and lemon juice (start with only one lemon if you do not like the acidity of the lemon too much). Temper the avgolemono sauce by slowly adding one ladleful of the hot liquid from the pot to the small bowl with the eggs, while whisking the whole time. Continue with a second ladleful of the hot liquid and whisk again. Now add the avgolemono to the pot and stir gently to incorporate. Shake the pot a few times to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed together.
- If you need to reheat the lamb fricassée before serving, do so very gently, making sure the stew does not come to a boil. Place on a serving platter, topped with the reserved minced dill, a drizzle of olive oil and a few wedges of lemon. Good, crusty bread is a must and a Greek salad on the side is always a good idea.
VEGETARIAN GREEK AVGOLEMONO SOUP
This vegetarian Greek lemon soup (also known as Avgolemono soup) is comforting and delicious.
Provided by Jamie Lang
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine water, leeks, and vegetable base in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add rice. Cook at a simmer, stirring often to make sure rice doesn't stick to the bottom, until rice is tender and cooked through, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Beat eggs and 6 tablespoons lemon juice together in a medium bowl until combined. Ladle some hot broth from the pot and pour it slowly into the egg mixture, whisking while pouring. Add one more ladle of broth and whisk to combine. Pour the egg mixture into the soup and stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with dill.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 130.2 calories, Carbohydrate 22.9 g, Cholesterol 93 mg, Fat 2.7 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 6.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.8 g, Sodium 691.1 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
More about "greek avgolemono stew recipes"
THE TRADITIONAL EGG-LEMON SAUCE (GREEK AVGOLEMONO) …
4.9/5 (516)Total Time 15 minsEstimated Reading Time 5 mins
- To prepare the classic Avgolemono recipe, start by cracking the eggs into a bowl and whisk well.
- Add a little of the warm stock or soup and whisk quickly, add more and whisk again. The reason for slowly adding the broth is to gradually warm up the eggs so you don’t end up with an omelette instead of a sauce!
- Pour gradually the egg mixture back into the pot, whilst constantly stirring and bring just below boiling point. Remove the pan from the stove and serve.
AUTHENTIC GREEK AVGOLEMONO SOUP RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE ...
- Prepare the chicken broth. In a large soup pot, combine the water, chicken, onion, carrots, celery and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer.
- Remove chicken and vegetables. After 2-3 hours, discard the veggies and bay leaves and remove the chicken from the broth. Separate the chicken meat from the skin and bones, shred and set aside.
- Cook the rice. Remove 1 cup of broth from the stockpot and set aside. Then, bring the remaining broth back to a boil and add the rice. Reduce to a simmer and cook the rice until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the avgolemono. While the rice cooks, prepare the avgolemono. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites to soft peaks; it will take 2-3 minutes.
- Add avgolemono to soup. Slowly transfer the avgolemono to the pot of broth and fully cooked rice on the stove. Stir to combine and then bring the soup to a simmer.
- Serve. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a bit of the reserved shredded chicken, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley, dill, oregano and lemon zest, and serve with crusty bread.
GREEK LAMB STEW AVGOLEMONO - THE GREEK FOODIE
4.7/5 (15)Category Main CourseCuisine GreekCalories 562 per serving
GREEK AVGOLEMONO STEW BEST RECIPES - COOKINGTODAY.NET
GREEK-STYLE CHICKEN FRICASSEE AVGOLEMONO - DIMITRAS DISHES
GREEK LAMB STEW, AVGOLEMONO ON BAKESPACE.COM
HOW TO MAKE GREEK EGG AND LEMON SOUP (AVGOLEMONO) - KITCHN
HOW TO MAKE AVGOLEMONO | THE GREEK FOOD
WHAT IS AVGOLEMONO? | ALLRECIPES
TRADITIONAL GREEK AVGOLEMONO SOUP - ANALIDA'S ETHNIC …
AVGOLEMONO SOUP (GREEK LEMON SOUP) RECIPE | LITTLE SPICE JAR
BEST AUTHENTIC AVGOLEMONO SOUP RECIPE - THE …
AVGOLEMONO - GREEK CHICKEN EGG LEMON SOUP | FOODTALK
GREEK STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS - LAHANODOLMADES AVGOLEMONO ...
GREEK CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP (AVGOLEMONO) RECIPE - DINNER ...
GREEK AVGOLEMONO STEW RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
HOIRINO ME SELINO AVGOLEMONO (PORK AND CELERY STEW WITH ...
COD-AND-CLAM AVGOLEMONO STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GREEK ARTICHOKE STEW - REAL GREEK RECIPES
AVGOLEMONO (GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP) RECIPE
GREEK AVGOLEMONO SOUP (EGG-LEMON CHICKEN SOUP) - REAL ...
HOW TO MAKE AVGOLEMONO, THE WINTER-SPRING TRANSITION STEW
AVGOLEMONO (GREEK LEMON-EGG SOUP) RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
INSTANT POT LAMB STEW WITH AVGOLéMONO - KINDRED KITCHEN
AVGOLEMONO (GREEK CHICKEN SOUP WITH LEMON + EGG) - BOWL OF ...
AVGOLEMONO SOUP (GREEK LEMON CHICKEN SOUP) - BELLY FULL
GREEK PORK AND CELERY STEW WITH AVGOLEMONO SAUCE - XOIRINO ...
COD-AND-CLAM AVGOLEMONO STEW RECIPE - DELISH
COD-AND-CLAM AVGOLEMONO STEW RECIPE - QUICK FROM SCRATCH ...
AVGOLEMONI / AVGOLEMONO – GREEK LEMON AND EGG CHICKEN SOUP ...
LAMB FRICASSEE WITH AVGOLEMONO RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #beans #rice #vegetables #greek #european #dinner-party #vegetarian #stove-top #dietary #chick-peas-garbanzos #pasta-rice-and-grains #greens #spinach #equipment
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make Avgolemono soup?Here is the step-by-step for today’s Avgolemono Soup Recipe: In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high. Add the carrots, celery and green onions, toss together to saute briefly then stir in the garlic. Add the chicken broth and bay leaves then raise the heat to high.
What is the best way to serve avgolemono stew?The stew is finished with a delicious avgolemono sauce and is best served warm over orzo, rice with good bread to soak up the sauce. What is avgolemono? Avgolemono or egg-lemon is a sauce made with eggs and lemon juice mixed with broth. This sauce is common in Greek, Jewish, Turkish, Arab, and Italian cuisine.
What is avgolemono lamb stew?This flavorful Greek lamb stew avgolemono has pearl onions, olive oil, and lots of fresh dill. It is finished with avgolemono, the fantastic creamy egg, and lemon sauce. Serve it over orzo or potatoes with good bread. This is simple, fresh, Greek food at its best! Some background on this Greek lamb stew.
How do you make avgolemono sauce?To make avgolemono sauce, you'll need to whisk two eggs with ½ cup of lemon, and while whisking with one hand, pour in two ladles of the hot chicken broth from your soup. That's really the trickiest part of this soup, but it's not that difficult. And if you need to, ask someone to help you pour in the broth, while you do the whisking. 2.