MAC AND CHEESE
Raise the volume with Ina Garten's creamy Mac and Cheese recipe, made with Gruyï¿½re, fresh tomatoes and nutmeg for warmth, from Food Network's Barefoot Contessa.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
GROWN UP MACARONI AND CHEESE
This is a fantastic mac and cheese recipe, with grown up flavors...you've got to give it a try. I made it last year for a dinner party, and after a year of people asking for the recipe (It really is that good!) I decided to just put it on Zaar. The recipe comes from the Fall 2007 edition of The Best of Fine Cooking magazine. This serves 8 people as a main course.
Provided by Chef Johnny Ringo
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Put a large pot of well salted water on to boil.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium low heat to just below a simmer. Remove from heat and cover to keep hot.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- add the onion and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the hot milk, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, whisking frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Season with 1 tsp salt, the nutmeg, tabasco and pepper to taste.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the gruyere and blue cheese.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water to al dente, following the package directions. Drain well and return to the pot.
- Toss the lemon zest and half of the Monterey Jack cheese into the pasta while it's still hot; add the cheese sauce and quickly toss to combine.
- Stir in the parsley and thyme and transfer half of the pasta to a large 3 qt shallow cassserole or lasagna pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese and half of the Parmigiano; top with the remaining pasta.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake until bubbling and golden, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
GROWN-UP MACARONI AND CHEESE
This is the only way my husband will eat macaroni and cheese, a food our 4 year old asks for constantly. It is my take on a mac and cheese I had at a nice bistro on our first date. I serve it 2 ways - extra creamy or baked. If you prefer your mac and cheese baked, reduce the half & half by 1/2 cup and reserve 1/2 cup or so of the cheeses or simply shred some extra. I also cut a minute or so off the pasta cooking time so they don't get mushy when baking. Feel free to add or substitute other veggies (broccoli and tomatoes are especially good) or leave out the sausage for a meatless meal. Leftover Easter ham also works great with this. It is a bit of work because I highly recommend shredding your own cheese from the block as the pre-shredded cheese in a bag has a powder substance on it that can make the sauce grainy.
Provided by Baking Barb
Categories Macaroni And Cheese
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Sauté mushrooms in a little olive oil until cooked down; set aside.
- Sauté sausage coins in same skillet you used for the mushrooms until warmed through and lightly caramelized; combine with the mushrooms and keep warm.
- In a saucier or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until bubbles subside (you don't want to burn it or create a fully browned butter but want to head that direction for a nuttier taste to the sauce).
- Add flour and cook the roux, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes or until flour is fully cooked and mixture has reached a light, golden brown.
- Add 1/4 cup half & half, cream cheese, ground mustard, and pepper. Stir until fully incorporated into the roux.
- Slowly add remaining half & half, whisking constantly to break up any lumps and stir for 1-2 minutes or until you can just notice a slight thickening. This makes a very thin, creamy sauce. If you like it a lot thicker reduce half & half by 1/2 cup.
- Add shredded cheese (either reserve a small amount or shred extra if baking as a casserole) and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until cheese has fully melted and flavors incorporate.
- While cheese sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions and drain.
- There are 2 serving options:.
- Most of the time I simply combine pasta, cheese sauce, mushrooms, and sausage in a large serving bowl and eat it extra creamy.
- My husband prefers it baked. Combine all components in the pasta pot and then pour into a greased baking dish. Top with reserved/extra cheese and some breadcrumbs (if desired - we don't) and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 831.9, Fat 62.5, SaturatedFat 31.6, Cholesterol 177.2, Sodium 1295, Carbohydrate 32.9, Fiber 4.6, Sugar 3.6, Protein 36.2
JOHNSONVILLE® GROWN UP MAC & CHEESE
Brought to you by The Kitchen at Johnsonville® Sausage.
Provided by Taste of Home
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain., Mix panko, parsley, and olive oil together in a bowl., Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat., Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk., Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened., Add cheese; cook and stir until melted., Stir in macaroni and sausage., Spread panko mixture on top and bake at 350?F for 25 minutes., Enjoy.
Nutrition Facts :
GROWN UP MACARONI & CHEESE
The ultimate comfort food by Toronto chef Michael Bonacini. Pair this with his Meat Loaf Muffins & a green veg for a "retro" dinner. You'll never eat Kraft Dinner again!!
Provided by CountryLady
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Drain& add a little butter to prevent sticking.
- Cover& put aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low to medium heat.
- Add flour& cook gently for 4- 5 mins.
- Add milk, mix well& allow to simmer for a few mins.
- Add cream, mix well& cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce starts to thicken (about 10 mins).
- Add onion& bay leaf; continue cooking for another 15- 20 mins, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, stir in mustard& 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar, season with salt& pepper and stir well.
- Combine with macaroni in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheddar over top.
- Combine bread crumbs, parsley& paprika and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 15- 20 minutes or until light golden brown on top.
MACARONI AND CHEESE FOR GROWN-UPS
This is a great side dish or main course. I say for grown-ups, but anyone can enjoy it. Use your choice of cheeses, I like Smoked Gouda, Swiss, Chedder and Munster. Thanks to Alton Brown for the idea of Panko on top as a crust. I don't remember where I got this but I think it was my Nana.
Provided by Lauren4372
Categories Pasta Shells
Yield 4-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and oil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat to boil. Add the pasta and cook stiring occasionally until tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the remaining salt and pepper and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the whisk; about 8 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese(s). Continue stiring until smooth and melted.
- In the microwave melt the remaining butter and mix with Panko. Add the parsley. Set aside.
- Lightly butter a 1.5 quart casserole or 4- 15 oz. rammikins.
- Combine chesse sauce and macaroni in casserole mixing well.
- Top with Panko and bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until brown on top.
- Remove and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 849.2, Fat 32, SaturatedFat 18.7, Cholesterol 79.2, Sodium 1073.2, Carbohydrate 110.8, Fiber 4.6, Sugar 11.9, Protein 28.2
More about "grown up macaroni and cheese recipes"
ALL GROWN-UP: 12 MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES FOR THE …
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
GROWN-UP STOVETOP MACARONI AND CHEESE | COOK'S …
GROWN-UP MAC 'N' CHEESE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE - ADULT MAC & CHEESE …
GROWN-UP BACON MAC AND CHEESE - CARNALDISH
GROWN-UP MAC & CHEESE - NANA'S BEST RECIPES
ADULT MAC AND CHEESE – EASY, CREAMY, DELICIOUS! – WELLPLATED.COM
GROWN-UP BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE - THE HANGRY ECONOMIST
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE – RECIPES NETWORK
TRY OPTING FOR THE “GROWN-UP” VERSION OF THIS FAMILY FAVORITE!
MACARONI AND CHEESE - ALL GROWN UP - BAKING KNEADS, LLC
BEST GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
GROWN UP MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST …
GROWN UP MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE BY MICHAEL SERRUR
GROWN UP MACARONI AND CHEESE - CAN COOK, WILL TRAVEL
GROWN-UP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES | MYRECIPES
VEGGIE MAC AND CHEESE, HEALTHY MAC & CHEESE | JENNY ... - JENNY …
INA GARTEN GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE - FOOD FANATIC
RECIPE BOX, GROWN-UP MAC & CHEESE | THE PAINTED APRON
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
GROWN UP MACARONI & CHEESE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
21 GROWN-UP MACARONI RECIPES THAT YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE TOO
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE - BROWN EYED BAKER
GROWN-UP BAKED MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE FOR GROWN-UPS
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
GROWN UP MAC AND CHEESE — THE PALMIER
GROWN UP MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
GROWN UP MAC & CHEESE - JOHNSONVILLE.COM
#weeknight #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #casseroles #main-dish #pasta #american #dietary #low-carb #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #macaroni-and-cheese #from-scratch
Recipe for Grown Up Whole Wheat Macaroni & Cheese : Macaroni Salads2.4K views-03:16
Ina Garten's "Grown Up" Mac and Cheese | Barefoot Contessa | Food Network334K views-03:29
Grown Up Mac and Cheese Recipe17 views-02:05
Grown-Up Comfort Classics: Stovetop Mac and Cheese and Turkey Meatloaf461K views-22:46
Homemade Mac & Cheese for Grown-up's159 views-27:21
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to make macaroni and cheese?Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well.
How to Cook Mac and cheese in a crock pot?Directions. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
What do you add to Mac and cheese to thicken it?While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well.
How to cook sausage macaroni and cheese?Directions Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Mix panko, parsley, and olive oil together in a bowl. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Stir in macaroni and sausage.