HEFEKRANZ (YEAST WREATH)
This recipe is from the King Arthur Flour website, one of my all time favorites. I've changed it a bit to make it more authentically German. It is a traditional Christmas bread.
Provided by pammyowl
Yield 1 loaf
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Break the eggs into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add cooled milk to equal 2 cups liquid. Beat in the sugar, yeast and 3 cups of the flour. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, butter, lemon zest, raisins and 2 cups flour. Stir until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn out of the bowl and knead,using the last cup of flour if needed, to make a smooth , elastic dough. (You can do the whole process in a stand mixer, too!) . Halfway through, let the dough rest while you lightly oil a bowl. Bread dough loves a short rest! Return, knead again until you have a smooth elastic dough. Place in the bowl let rise until doubled, punch down, let rise again. Dough is ready when you poke your finger in and indent remains.
- Turn it out onto a table divide into 3 equal pieces (I use a scale). Roll into ropes an inch in diameter, letting the dough relax if you need to, to relax the gluten. Braid and form a wreath, tucking the ends into each other as best you can. Place on a greased baking sheet cover with a damp cloth or lightly greased cling film let rise for 45 minutes. Glaze with the egg wash and sprinkle the almonds over top a generous amount. Put in a cold oven turn oven to 400 degrees for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes. Remove, cool and serve or store until you are ready for this wonderful bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 4083.9, Fat 131.7, SaturatedFat 75.3, Cholesterol 870.4, Sodium 3617, Carbohydrate 618.8, Fiber 24.6, Sugar 96.6, Protein 108.3
More about "hefekranz yeast wreath recipes"
MARZIPAN POPPY SEED YEAST WREATH (HEFEKRANZ) - BAKE …
HEFEKRANZ - WIKIPEDIA
HEFEKRANZ | KING ARTHUR BAKING
4.3/5 (4)Total Time 3 hrs 55 minsServings 16
- Let the mixture rest for 15 to 20 minutes; this gives the yeast a chance to get going., Add the salt, butter, lemon rind, raisins and 2 more cups of the flour, stirring until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl., Knead the mixture, adding enough additional flour to make a soft, smooth dough.
- If you're using an electric mixer, about 7 minutes at medium speed is sufficient., Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until it's noticeably puffy.
HEFEKRANZ RECIPE - EAT YOUR BOOKS
HEFEZOPF: GERMAN EASTER BREAD RECIPE - EVERYWHERE
HEFEZOPF (GERMAN SWEET BREAD) | – JUSTALITTLEBITE
HEFEKRANZ | TECHNOLOGY TRENDS
YEAST WREATH (HEFENKRANZ) RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
MARZIPAN POPPY SEED YEAST WREATH (HEFEKRANZ) | BAKE TO THE ROOTS
HEFENKRANZ (YEAST WREATH) - GERMAN CHRISTMAS BREAD
EASTER WREATH OR HEFEKRANZ - BREADENCOUNTERS.COM
HEFEKRANZ | TRADITIONAL SWEET BREAD FROM SWITZERLAND
RASBERRY YEAST WREATH - JENNY IS BAKING
HEFENKRANZ (YEAST WREATH) - GERMAN CHRISTMAS BREAD RECIPE
RECIPE FOR HEFEKRANZ [SWEET BREAD IN SHAPE OF WREATH]
WHAT DOES HEFEKRANZ MEAN - DEFINITION OF HEFEKRANZ - WORD FINDER
HEFEKRANZ ARCHIVES - JENNY IS BAKING
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT BABKA (RECIPE) - HAARETZ.COM
A HEFEZOPF (YEAST BRAID) OR... - GERMAN GIRL IN AMERICA | FACEBOOK
HEFEKRANZ (HEFEZOPF, YEAST BRAID)
TRADITIONAL GERMAN EASTER BREAD WREATH WITH MARZIPAN
CINNAMON ROLL WREATH | ZIMT HEFEKRANZ • RED CURRANT BAKERY
HEFEKRANZ (YEAST WREATH) | HONIGMILCH'S WEBLOG
CHRISTMAS BREAD: HEFEKRANZ-GERMAN CHRISTMAS YEAST BREAD
HEFEKRANZ RECIPE | KING ARTHUR FLOUR | KING ARTHUR FLOUR RECIPES, …
BOMB OVERNIGHT YEAST KRANZ CAKES WITH CHOCOLATE AND JAM
WREATH BREADS, THE FESTIVE CENTERPIECE YOU CAN EAT
DER OSTERZOPF: A TRADITIONAL GERMAN BRAIDED SWEET BREAD…
WAITER, THERE IS SOMETHING IN MY… FILLED EASTER-HEFEKRANZ
HEFEKRANZ - HYPERLEAP.COM
HEFEZOPF, WITH HAGELZUCKER - KITCHEN PROJECT
CINNAMON ROLL CHRISTMAS WREATH - THERESCIPES.INFO
HEFEZOPF (GERMAN SWEET BREAD) - RECIPES FROM EUROPE
HEFEKRANZ HEFEZOPF YEAST WREATH SWITZERLAND DECORATED STOCK …
HEFEKRANZ (YEAST WREATH) | KING ARTHUR FLOUR RECIPES, KING ARTHUR …
FREE PHOTO: HEFEKRANZ, PLAIT, WREATH - FREE IMAGE ON PIXABAY
EASTER WREATH OR HEFEKRANZ – CRUSTIQUE BREADS
CHRISTMAS BRAIDED BREAD RECIPIES : PIN ON COOKIES / YEARS AGO A …
EASTER YEAST WREATH - OSTER-HEFEKRANZ
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Hefekranz bread?The bread is popular during Advent and is often served on December 13 for St. Lucia Day, a winter solstice celebration also called the “Festival of Lights.” Hefekranz, which translates to “yeast wreath,” refers to the traditional braided wreath bread enjoyed in Switzerland, southern Germany, and Austria during the winter holidays and Easter.
What is Hefekranz Kranz?Hefezopf Hefe means yeast and Zopf means braided Hefekranz Kranz means wreath Both of these breads are traditional Easter breads. The 3 braids are often a symbol of theHoly Trinity. Some folks use 5 braids however. The recipe is simple but I have seen recipes where all kinds of fruit is added to the bread.
What is Hefezopf (Easter bread)?In Germany, this bread is typically called Hefezopf (yeast braid), but sometimes it’s also called Hefekranz (yeast wreath) when the bread is shaped like a wreath. As mentioned, Hefezopf is also so known as Easter bread since it is often eaten for Easter. This is a classic bread that Lisa grew up eating around this holiday in Germany.
What is the difference between Hefezopf and Hefekranz?Typically both Hefezopf and Hefekranz consist of three braided dough-pieces. While the Hefezopf ("Zopf" meaning braid) is a loaf consisting only of a braid, the Hefekranz' braid is bent into a wreath ("Kranz" meaning wreath).