HERBED AND BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB
- With a mortar and pestle, lightly crush peppercorns and coriander seeds. Transfer to a small bowl, and add olive oil, salt and garlic. Finely grate lemon peel, and add to mixture. Cut lemon into quarters, and squeeze juice into mixture, then add leftover lemon as well.
- Place lamb skin side down in a shallow dish, and press whole rosemary sprigs into scored meat. Pour marinade over meat, pressing lemon pieces into meat. Cover dish with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove lamb from refrigerator, and allow to sit at room temperature while oven heats to 425 degrees. Place lamb skin side up in a roasting pan, keeping lemon pieces and rosemary pressed into underside.
- Roast 35 to 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb registers 145 degrees (for medium-well lamb), or adjust cooking time as desired. When cooked to taste, remove lamb from oven, and allow to rest in pan for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 608, UnsaturatedFat 27 grams, Carbohydrate 2 grams, Fat 46 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 44 grams, SaturatedFat 16 grams, Sodium 523 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams
BROILED AND SLOW-ROASTED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB WITH CUMIN AND GARLIC
Who says making a feast has to take forever? For large gatherings like Passover and Easter, leg of lamb is the roast of choice, and arranged on a platter garnished with herbs, it makes a stunning centerpiece. Buying leg of lamb butterflied from the butcher will leave you time to socialize while it is slow-roasting without worrying about uneven cooking.
Provided by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Mix oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano; spread paste on both sides of the lamb and let stand for an hour until meat comes to room temperature.
- Adjust oven rack to upper or upper-middle position (depending on lamb's thickness) and preheat broiler on high for at least 10 minutes.
- Place lamb, cut side up, on a large wire rack set over a foil-lined roasting pan. Broil, moving pan so entire surface browns evenly, about 8 minutes. Turn lamb over; continue to broil until well browned on the other side, about 8 minutes longer. Turn off broiler, remove lamb from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Stick a meat thermometer into the thickest portion of the lamb; return it to the oven. Roast for a total of 50 minutes to 1 hour, until thermometer registers a rosy-pink 140 degrees. Check lamb several times after 30 minutes. If lamb gets done sooner, simply turn down oven to 170 degrees until ready to serve.
- As soon as lamb comes out of the oven, squeeze on lemon juice and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Carve, slicing across the grain when possible. Arrange on a platter, drizzle with accumulated juices, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 336.4 calories, Carbohydrate 2.2 g, Cholesterol 105.6 mg, Fat 22.8 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 29.5 g, SaturatedFat 8.4 g, Sodium 493.5 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
GARLIC-AND-HERB-RUBBED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB
- Pat lamb dry with paper towels and place it on a rimmed baking sheet. In a bowl, combine oil, herbs, orange zest and juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over lamb. Cover with foil and let marinate at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Remove foil and transfer lamb to oven. Roast until a thermometer reads 120 degrees for rare and 130 for medium, about 35 to 45 minutes, depending on how you like your meat. Let cool completely, then wrap and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 439, UnsaturatedFat 17 grams, Carbohydrate 2 grams, Fat 31 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 35 grams, SaturatedFat 12 grams, Sodium 244 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
AWESOME HERB ROAST LEG OF LAMB
An herb rub makes this leg of lamb so good! I always knew it was Easter when my mom made it, and the whole house smells awesome when it's cooking. It's the only recipe I specifically asked for when I moved out on my own.
Provided by danhubin
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Mix garlic, salt, pepper, ginger, thyme, sage, add marjoram in a bowl. Stir soy sauce and vegetable oil into the garlic mixture until loosely paste-like; add the bay leaf.
- Cut slits into the lamb on all sides. Rub herb mixture over entire surface of lamb, massaging it into the slits. Put lamb in a roasting pan.
- Roast lamb until browned on the outside and red in the center, about 50 minutes for rare. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 125 degrees F (52 degrees C). Cover lamb loosely with aluminum foil and cool about 20 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 276.1 calories, Carbohydrate 1.3 g, Cholesterol 91.1 mg, Fat 17.8 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 26.3 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 781.1 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
GRILLED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB WITH LEMON, HERBS AND GARLIC
I went to a cookout last weekend and this was the main dish. This lamb was perhaps the best I've ever tasted. Juicy, succulent, and full of flavor thanks to the herbs garlic and lemon. I begged the host for the recipe, and here it is for you. Note: I would cook this a little longer for medium meat...just my preference. Also, you might want to secure the meat lengthwise with 2 skewers and widthwise with 2 skewers so it doesn't fall apart on the grill.
Provided by yooper
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Make herb rub: Finely chop garlic and in a small bowl stir together with remaining herb-rub ingredients.
- Put lamb in a large dish and with tip of a sharp knife held at a 45=degree angle cut 1/2-inch-deep slits all over lamb, rubbing herb mixture into slits and all over lamb.
- Marinate lamb at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly pat lamb dry.
- On a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals grill lamb about 10 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125 for medium-rare.
- (Alternately, roast lamb in a roasting pan in middle of a 425 oven about 25 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer horizontally inserted into meat registers 125 for medium-rare.) Transfer lamb to a cutting board.
- Halve and seed lemon.
- Squeeze juice over lamb and let stand, loosely covered with foil 15 minutes.
- Cut lamb into slices and serve with any juices that have accumulated on cutting board.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 851, Fat 58.7, SaturatedFat 23.7, Cholesterol 265.9, Sodium 1099.8, Carbohydrate 2, Fiber 0.5, Sugar 0.2, Protein 74.1
GRILLED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB WITH LEMON, HERBS, AND GARLIC
- Make herb rub:
- Finely chop garlic and in a small bowl stir together with remaining herb-rub ingredients.
- Put lamb in a large dish and with tip of a sharp small knife held at a 45-degree angle cut 1/2-inch-deep slits all over lamb, rubbing herb mixture into slits and all over lamb. Marinate lamb at room temperature 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Lightly pat lamb dry. On a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals grill lamb about 10 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer horizontally inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125°F for medium-rare. (Alternatively, roast lamb in a roasting pan in middle of a 425°F oven about 25 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer horizontally inserted into meat registers 125°F for medium-rare.) Transfer lamb to a cutting board. Halve and seed lemon. Squeeze juice over lamb and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 15 minutes.
- Cut lamb into slices and serve with any juices that have accumulated on cutting board.
GRILLED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB AND VEGETABLES WITH LEMON-HERB DRESSING
Provided by Katharine Kagel
Yield Makes 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 23
- For lamb:
- Mix first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Place lamb in 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour marinade over. Turn lamb, spreading marinade to coat evenly on all sides. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 day, turning lamb occasionally.
- For dressing and vegetables:
- Whisk lemon juice, shallots, oil, parsley, and mint in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Place zucchini, yellow squash, and red bell peppers in separate dishes. Sprinkle each lightly with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/3 cup dressing over each and turn to coat; reserve remaining dressing. Arrange red onions in large glass dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour wine over onions. Let vegetables and onions marinate at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours, basting or turning occasionally.
- For grilling and serving:
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill vegetables in batches until just tender, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes for onions, 10 minutes for red bell peppers, and 8 minutes for zucchini and yellow squash. Transfer vegetables to baking sheets. Reserve red Zinfandel from onions to baste lamb.
- Place butterflied lamb on grill rack with some rosemary and thyme marinade still clinging to lamb. Grill until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 130°F for medium-rare, turning occasionally and basting with reserved red Zinfandel from onions, about 35 minutes. Transfer lamb to work surface; let rest 15 minutes.
- Starting at 1 corner and positioning knife at slight angle, slice lamb thinly across grain. Arrange lamb slices on large platter. Arrange grilled vegetables around lamb. Drizzle vegetables with reserved lemon-herb dressing. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Garnish with fresh rosemary, thyme, and mint sprigs.
HERB STUFFED LEG OF LAMB
- Ask a butcher to remove all bones, except shank, and to clean meat of all sinew and excess fat inside and out. Butterfly leg for stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay lamb flat on counter. Using a sharp knife, make several slits, about 2 inches long by 1/4 inch deep, so seasonings can penetrate meat. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Spread garlic evenly on top, then cover with herbs. Roll meat to enclose stuffing and tie with string at 1 inch intervals, keeping the diameter of the roll the same so that the roast cooks evenly. Shank bone will protrude at one end. Generously season outside with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown lamb on all sides. Roast on rack in roasting pan 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare, 1 hour for well done. (A meat thermometer inserted in center should read 160 or 165 degrees F or a thinbladed knife inserted to the center for 20 seconds should feel lukewarm on your lips.) Let sit at room temperature about 10 minutes before carving, so juices can run to center. Remove strings and slice meat thinly across the roll. Serve with Roasted Eggplant and Myzithra Cheese Puree. To reheat carved lamb, place slices on a sheet pan, cover with a wet towel, and bake 5 minutes at 375 degrees F. Use leftover meat and puree for pita sandwiches.
ROLLED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB WITH HERBS AND PRESERVED LEMONS
The lamb needs to marinate overnight, so prepare it the day before. Preserved lemons have been stored in jars of lemon juice and salt for at least a month. They have a silkier texture and a less sour flavor than regular lemons.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cut 1 preserved lemon in half; remove and discard seeds. Coarsely chop lemon; transfer to a food processor. Add rosemary, mint, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Process until coarsely ground. With processor running, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream; process until a thick paste forms.
- Spread herb mixture all over lamb; transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Cut remaining preserved lemon into paper-thin rounds; discard seeds. Arrange rounds over one side of lamb. Starting from one narrow end, roll up lamb. Using kitchen twine, tie lamb crosswise at 1-inch intervals. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer lamb to a roasting pan just large enough to hold it. Roast 25 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to pan; reduce heat to 400 degrees. Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 120 degrees (for medium-rare), about 35 minutes.
- Tent with foil. Let rest 25 minutes (internal temperature will rise). Transfer to a cutting board; remove twine. Cut into thin slices. Serve with lemon wedges.
HERBED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB
- In a glass bowl, combine wine, vinegar, garlic, mint, thyme, parsley, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Season both sides of the lamb with salt and pepper. Place lamb in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Pour marinade over meat, turning to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill, arranging coals for indirect cooking. Lightly coat rack with cooking spray; coals should be hot.
- Remove lamb from marinade; pat dry. Place lamb on hottest part of grill; sear for 5 minutes per side. Move lamb to the cooler part of the grill, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn over; cover grill. For medium-rare, cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees. 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from grill, and let lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve.
GRILLED LEG OF LAMB WITH GARLIC AND HERB LEMON MARINADE
This is really the only recipe I use when I grill a leg of lamb. Plan ahead, the lamb needs to marinate 24 hours or overnight. This marinade can also be used for lamb chops. A butterflied leg of lamb is with the bones removed and cut to spread open, you can ask your butcher to remove the bones and butterfly it for you. If you prefer a more lemony taste then thinly slice half of another lemon, leave the peel on, and just throw the slices inside the bag or bowl with along with the other marinade. If desired you can also stuff the lamb with garlic cloves as well as adding the minced garlic in with the marinade. Grilling time depends on size of lamb. This recipe produces an excellent grilled lamb that melts in your mouth, try to not overcook the lamb, for best results leave slightly pink in the middle.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a glass bowl.
- Place the lamb in a extra large heavy-duty plastic bag or glass bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the lamb, and turn to coat well on all sides.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap (if using a glass bowl).
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours (turning occasionally to distribute marinade).
- When ready to grill, remove from fridge and save marinade for basting if desired.
- Turn the grill to high heat.
- Sear both sides for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Reduce grill temperature to medium heat and finish cooking the lamb.
- You may baste the lamb with the leftover marinade if desired.
More about "herbed and butterflied leg of lamb recipes"
BUTTERFLIED HERB-ROASTED LEG OF LAMB - SAVOR THE BEST
4.5/5 (11)Category Main DishCuisine AmericanTotal Time 2 hrs 5 mins
- Remove the lamb from the refrigerator and unroll it on the cutting board. With a sharp knife trim off the excess fat and any gristle.
- To make the lamb the same thickness, butterfly-book the thick parts by making shallow diagonal slices and pressing the slices open like pages in a book.
- Then lightly score the the meat in a 1-inch crosshatch. Place the lamb on an oil-sprayed wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- To a small dish add the mashed anchovies, and the chopped garlic, mint and rosemary. Stir in the salt and olive oil.
HERBED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB RECIPE | NEW ZEALAND GRASS ...
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
GRILLED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB WITH A HERB RUB - JUST A ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Lay lamb out flat on a tray. Puree all the herb rub ingredients in a food processor. (Alternatively, finely mince the herbs and garlic with a knife and then stir in the rest of the ingredients.) Spread the herb rub evenly over the lamb on both sides. Cover the lamb and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
HERBED LEG OF LAMB WITH OLIVE BUTTER AND ... - FOOD & WINE
- In a blender or food processor, combine the shallots, garlic, thyme, parsley, rosemary, mustard and 1/3 cup of the olive oil; blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the butter.
- Arrange the lamb fat side down on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Spread the herb butter all over the lamb, leaving a 1-inch border. Refrigerate until the butter is semifirm, 30 minutes. Roll up the lamb with the butter inside and tie securely with kitchen twine at 1-inch intervals. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Rub the lamb with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130° for medium-rare. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the thyme sprigs and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring, until softened.
BUTTERFLIED LAMB WITH LEMON AND PAPRIKA MARINADE RECIPE ...
- To prepare the lamb, turn the leg over to the point where the bone runs closest to the surface. Using a sharp knife, split the meat along the bone and ease it away from the bone along both sides, leaving the bone as clean as possible.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together. Rub the marinade all over the lamb and set aside in a roasting tin, skin-side up, for about 30 minutes.
- Roast the lamb for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and roast for a further 15 minutes. This will give you pink lamb, if you would rather it slightly less so, cook for a further 5 minutes.
GRILLED BUTTERFLIED HERBED LAMB - THE WASHINGTON POST
4/5 (1)Calories 370 per servingServings 8
HERBED LEG OF LAMB | NIGELLA'S RECIPES | NIGELLA LAWSON
BUTTERFLIED LAMB LEG WITH LEMON AND HERB CREAM RECIPE ...
Cuisine Modern AustralianServings 6
6 AMAZING LEG OF LAMB RECIPES — THE MOM 100
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
ROASTED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
GARLIC & HERB ROASTED LEG OF LAMB - EASY, JUICY ...
HERB ROASTED LAMB BEST RECIPES - TOTO-RECIPE.COM
BONELESS BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB RECIPES
MARINATED GRILLED LEG OF LAMB RECIPE 455
HERBED AND BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB - PLAIN.RECIPES
HERB STUFFED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB | MAD BUTCHER
HERB ROASTED BUTTERFLIED LEG OF LAMB - A YEAR AT THE TABLE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook butterflied lamb leg?Place butterflied lamb leg in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle directly with salt and black pepper. Now coat the lamb leg with 1/3 cup of the marinade. Turn over and sprinkle other side with salt and pepper. Now spread remaining marinade over lamb. Cover the entire dish with plastic wrap and chill overnight so marinade can penetrate the meat.
What do you put on leg of lamb with mustard?Mustard and herb rubbed and roasted leg of lamb, Gigot à la Moutarde from Julia Child. Adding lemon, onion and fresh herbs to the roasting pan yields a delicious pan gravy. Mix mustard, soy sauce, garlic, rosemary, thyme and ginger together in a bowl.
What is a good recipe for a lamb fillet?Ingredients. 1 3 tablespoons olive oil. 2 4 oil-packed anchovies, mashed. 3 5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated. 4 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped. 5 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary. 6 2 teaspoons sea salt. 7 1 boneless, 5-pound leg of lamb.
How to cook lamb tenderloin with herbs?Stir in the salt and olive oil. Rub the herb mixture over the prepared lamb, working the mixture into all the cuts and crevices. Let the lamb rest for an hour on the counter top to come to room temperature and absorb the herb flavor.