PERFECT HOMEMADE HASH BROWNS
They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and not overly greasy ... what more could you want? I especially like the flavor of the butter/oil combination rather than only oil. Add onions or jalapenos, if you like; melted cheese on top is always good, too!
Provided by EdsGirlAngie
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Cook whole potatoes in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and let cool.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, grate them with a coarse grater.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil and butter together and cook hash browns over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes on each side, or until crisp and well-browned.
- Resist the temptation to stir them around; just lift up an edge periodically to check on browning.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 344.7, Fat 25.9, SaturatedFat 7.2, Cholesterol 20.4, Sodium 76.7, Carbohydrate 26.4, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 1.2, Protein 3.1
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Melt the butter in a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan. Add the potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally with a flat spatula, until the potatoes are evenly browned and cooked through. (Allow the potatoes to cook for 5 minutes before turning.) Turn off the heat and add the parsley and scallions. Serve hot.
CLASSIC HASH BROWNS
- Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water. Stir until water is cloudy, drain, and cover potatoes again with fresh cold water. Stir again to dissolve excess starch. Drain potatoes well, pat dry with paper towels, and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Heat clarified butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Sprinkle shredded potatoes into the hot butter and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Cook potatoes until a brown crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir until potatoes are browned all over, about 5 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 334 calories, Carbohydrate 37.5 g, Cholesterol 49.2 mg, Fat 19.4 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 12 g, Sodium 13.4 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
Crispy hash browns are a must for the full English breakfast. With just three ingredients and being freezeable, too, they're easy to add to your next fry up
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Breakfast, Brunch, Side dish
Yield Makes 8 (serves 4)
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins then drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes into a bowl discarding any skin that comes off in your hand as you grate. Season well with salt and pepper and pour over half the butter. Mix well then divide the mix into 8 and shape into patties or squares. The hash browns can be prepared a day ahead and chilled until ready to cook or frozen for up to a month.
- To cook, heat the oil and the remaining butter in a frying pan until sizzling and gently fry the hash browns, in batches if needed, for 4-5 mins on each side until crisp and golden. Serve straight away or leave in a low oven to keep warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 264 calories, Fat 21 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 16 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 2 grams protein, Sodium 0.4 milligram of sodium
- In a heavy medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened and caramelized. Remove onions from skillet. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and heat. Add diced potatoes in an even layer in the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook until the potatoes begin to brown on the bottom, 6 to 7 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. Add onions back to skillet, press into a pancake. Season with salt and pepper.
EMILY'S FAMOUS HASH BROWNS
- Rinse shredded potatoes until water is clear, then drain and squeeze dry. Place shreds in a bowl, and mix in the onion, flour and egg until evenly distributed.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is sizzling hot, place potatoes into the pan in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Cover the whole bottom of the pan, or make separate piles like pancakes. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side. It should take at least 5 minutes per side. If you are cooking them in one big piece, it can be cut into quarters for easier flipping.
- Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 183 calories, Carbohydrate 26.1 g, Cholesterol 46.5 mg, Fat 6.9 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 4.7 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 24.5 mg, Sugar 1.6 g
More about "homemade hash browns recipes"
PERFECT HASH BROWNS | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
3.5/5 (17)Calories 110 per servingTotal Time 40 mins
- Peel potatoes. Coarsely shred potatoes using a handheld shredder or a food processor with a coarse shredding blade.
- Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl; add enough cool water to cover potatoes. Stir well. Drain in a colander set in a sink. Repeat rinsing and draining two or three times until water runs clear. Drain again, pressing out as much water as you can with a rubber spatula. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add potatoes and spin.* Repeat, if necessary, until potatoes are dry. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet** heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add potatoes to the skillet, spreading into an even layer. Gently press with the back of a spatula to form a cake. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Invert a baking sheet or plate over the top of the skillet. Carefully invert the skillet with the baking sheet or plate to transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet or plate. If needed, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Using the baking sheet or plate, slide the potatoes back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Cook, without stirring, about 8 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with paprika before serving.
HASH BROWNS | AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY FOOD
Cuisine IrishCategory Breakfast, SideServings 12Total Time 30 mins
- Peel potatoes and grate coarsely. Place grated potato in a colander or large strainer and press firmly to remove as much moisture as possible. Spread grated potato over a paper towel-lined tray, pat with extra paper towel to remove any remaining moisture then transfer to a large bowl. Add egg, flour, salt and pepper and mix well with a fork.
- Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil over the base of a large frypan, spoon heaped tablespoons of potato mixture into hot oil and spread out to form 6-8cm rounds using the back of a spoon. Cook until golden underneath then turn and cook other side until browned and crisp. Remove hash browns from pan, drain on paper towel and keep warm. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Serve immediately, season with a little extra salt if desired.
HOW TO MAKE HASH BROWNS THE RIGHT WAY - FAVORITE FAMILY ...
4.9/5 (29)Calories 216 per servingCategory Breakfast
- Scrub potatoes and place in stockpot. Do not peel or remove brown spots. Parboil the potatoes by placing them in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse potatoes with cold water until easy to handle. Remove any bruised or brown spots with a knife. Using a box shredder or food processor, shred potatoes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat or 350 degrees. Place potatoes evenly over the butter and cook until a golden-brown crust forms on the bottom (5-7 minutes). Flip potatoes and cook until crust forms on the other side.
DELICIOUS CRISPY HASH BROWNS RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
4.7/5 (65)Calories 211 per servingCategory Breakfast
- Scrub the potatoes clean and grate them on a large-holed cheese grater (I left the skin on, but you can peel it first if you’d like). In a fine-mesh sieve, rinse the grated potato well until the water runs clear.
- Drain the potatoes, and then place them potato on a clean tea towel or several paper towels. Twist the towel to remove as much moisture from the potatoes as possible (you might need to do this in two batches).
- In a large skillet (preferably cast iron, but non-stick works, too), warm the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering and a piece of grated potato sizzles on contact. Spread the potatoes over the skillet in an even layer and press them down with a spatula. Let them cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes.
HASH BROWNS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 8Category Brunch See details »
CRISPY HASH BROWNS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
BEST HASH BROWNS RECIPE (JUST LIKE THE DINER)! - GRANDBABY ...
Ratings 15Calories 202 per servingCategory Breakfast
- Using a cheese grater, grate all potatoes until completely shredded. Use the large holes of the grater to get nice sized shreds.
- Heat butter and oil over medium high heat in a large skillet (add more butter and oil if the entire surface of the skillet is not covered).
MCDONALD'S HASH BROWNS RECIPE » RECIPEFAIRY.COM
4.1/5 (285)Total Time 10 minsCategory AppetizersCalories 140 per serving
- Take your potato and grate into a large bowl of icy cold water. Swirl the potato around and around with your fingertips until the water turns cloudy.
- In a colander or sieve, drain the potato and then add to the middle of a fine cloth or mesh. Squeeze as much water out as you can.
- Heat a pan with the oil, over a medium to high heat. Take small handfuls of your McDonald's hash brown mixture, and in the palm of your hand make it into the desired shape.
HOW TO MAKE & FREEZE EASY HOMEMADE HASH BROWNS · HIDDEN ...
4.7/5 (11)Category FreezingCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Once mixing bowl in full, pour shredded potatoes into a large colander and rinse under cold running water until liquid runs clear. (Removing starch)
HOMEMADE HASHBROWNS - THE SALTY MARSHMALLOW
5/5 (77)Category BreakfastCuisine AmericanCalories 336 per serving
- Transfer shredded potatoes into a bowl of cold water. Stir potato shreds around in the water to loosen the starch off the potato and drain off the starchy water.
- Refill the bowl with more cold water and repeat stirring and draining the water off the potatoes. Drain as much water off of the potatoes as you can, drying them with paper towels or a clean dish towel if possible. You can even squeeze them between several layers of cheesecloth to remove as much water as possible.
- Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer dried potatoes into the hot pan and spread into an even layer.
HEAVENLY HOMEMADE HASH BROWNS - I'D RATHER BE A CHEF
4.7/5 (6)Total Time 40 minsCategory BreakfastCalories 317 per serving
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over high heat. Add in the butter and olive oil. When the cooking fats are hot, add in the cubed potatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the onion, chopped rosemary, red pepper flakes and another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and cook for 5-7 more minutes. When the onions are caramelized you're ready to move onto the next step.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add in 1 TBSP Olive Oil if the pan is looking dry. Add in shallots and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring more consistently.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add in the cooked bacon and whole rosemary sprig. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are cooked through. Should be between 8-10 minutes. When they are cooked through, add in the balsamic vinegar. Stir well, serve hot and enjoy!
DICED HASH BROWNS - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
5/5 (10)Total Time 30 minsCategory BreakfastCalories 119 per serving
- Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks (don't peel the potatoes) and boil them for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat (a vigorous rolling boil may break them apart, so keep the heat lower).
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees in a heavy bottomed nonstick pot and add the potatoes in small batches frying them for 5 minutes before removing them with a strainer and seasoning them with additional salt and pepper.
HASH BROWNS IN OVEN (CRISPY AND CHEESY RECIPE!) - EASY ...
Ratings 180Calories 339 per servingCategory Breakfast
- In a bowl, add your frozen hash browns, shredded cheese, onions and seasoning. Toss with tongs to mix. Now add olive oil to mixture and mix well, trying to spread olive oil through the mixture. Lastly, add melted butter and mix again.
EXTRA CRISPY RESTAURANT STYLE HASHBROWN PATTIES - LAYERS ...
Servings 6Total Time 35 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
20 RECIPES THAT START WITH FROZEN HASH BROWNS | ALLRECIPES
Author Hayley SuggEstimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
RECIPE MCDONALD'S HASH BROWNS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
See details »
HASH BROWN POTATO RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
HOW TO MAKE HASH BROWNS (WITH STEP BY STEP PICTURES ...
See details »
HOW TO MAKE HASH BROWNS - DINER STYLE RESTAURANT HASHBROWN ...
See details »
COOKING FROZEN HASH BROWNS - JUST EASY RECIPE
See details »
HOW TO MAKE MCDONALD'S HASH BROWNS AT HOME | TASTE …
See details »
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #for-1-or-2 #low-protein #healthy #5-ingredients-or-less #breakfast #side-dishes #potatoes #vegetables #easy #low-fat #stove-top #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #comfort-food #inexpensive #healthy-2 #low-in-something #brunch #taste-mood #savory #equipment #number-of-servings #presentation #served-hot
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What's the best way to cook hash browns?Directions. Add the potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally with a flat spatula, until the potatoes are evenly browned and cooked through. (Allow the potatoes to cook for 5 minutes before turning.) Turn off the heat and add the parsley and scallions.
Can you make hash browns at McDonald's at home?Fast food places like McDonalds usually serve up hash browns in a convenient patty shape. You can easily make these homemade hash brown patties using real potatoes at home!
What to make with Frozen hash brown potatoes?Serve with your favorite style eggs and breakfast meat! Frozen hash brown potatoes are combined with cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion and cheddar cheese in this casserole with a buttery cracker crust. Frozen hash brown cubes are baked in a creamy cheese base in this casserole.
How many servings are in crispy hash browns?These delicious hash browns are lighter and healthier than greasy diner hash browns, since they’re made with olive oil. Recipe yields 4 servings; you can double or triple this recipe but cook in batches as written below.