Recipe VIDEO above. Don't settle for a bland lentil soup. Make it right, and you'll have everyone begging for seconds...and thirds! The touch of spices and finishing it off with lemon really lifts this soup to the next level.
Provided by [email protected] Eats
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrot. Cook for 7 - 10 minutes or until softened and the onion is sweet. Don't rush this step, it is key to the flavour base of the soup.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the lemon and salt. Stir.
- Increase heat and bring to simmer. Scoop scum on the surface off and discard (do this again during cooking if required). Place lid on and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 35 - 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Thicken Soup: Using a stick blender, do 2 or 3 quick whizzes to thicken the soup (see video below). Or transfer 2 cups to a blender, let it cool slightly, then hold lid with tea towel and blend then transfer back into pot.
- Add a touch of water if you want to adjust soup consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Grate over the zest of the lemon then add a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve with warm crusty bread slathered liberally with butter!
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 421 g, Calories 311 kcal, Carbohydrate 48 g, Protein 18 g, Fat 5 g, Sodium 111 mg, Fiber 22 g, Sugar 5 g
Giada De Laurentiis' easy Lentil Soup from Everyday Italian on Food Network is a perfect meal: fast, nutritious and delicious.
Provided by Giada De Laurentiis
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
LENTIL SOUP FOR STUDENTS
This was a staple during my student years as it is incredibly cheap and ridiculously easy to make. Then we would dine off lentil soup for several days, just occasionally adding water when it had somehow thickened into a gloop (or used the gloop as a sandwich spread!).
Provided by tigrrboxer
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Dump the lentils in your largest pan and add a LOT of water (at least 750 ml to start with).
- Crumble in the stock cubes, and add the onion, preferably grated (if not, then very very finely chopped). If you like garlic, add as much crushed garlic as you feel like.
- Cover and start cooking over a high heat.
- Now for the technique (blender-free): when the water starts boiling, the lentils will start fluffing up and turning yellow. You have two tasks: to stir briskly and frequently (to prevent sticking AND to break up the lentils), and to add about a cup of water every time the lentils seem to have absorbed most of the liquid (if it's boiling water from the kettle, you do save time). An MP3 player is a useful accessory here while you stand by the pot.
- After about 30 minutes, the lentils should have gone from yellow to beige, and have lost their lentil-like form - they should have pretty much broken up and dissolved. This is NOT a recipe for smooth, liquid soup involving hours of painstaking rubbing through a sieve - at this point, you CAN use a blender or even electric hand whisk for a smoother soup - but I much prefer this more rustic version where you can actually feel the texture of the lentils.
- Stirring all the time, add enough water for the soup to reach the consistency you prefer - it's supposed to be thick, so it's better not to go over the top!
- Now you can add salt to taste. My downstair neighbours liked to add a hefty dose of red chilli flakes, but I always feel that the simpler you keep this, the better.
- Just before serving, or after you've ladled the soup into bowls, you can add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with plenty of bread and a plate of lemon wedges - lemon is absolutely perfect squeezed over this soup.
- You now have a large potful of extremely cheap, nourishing and tasty soup to heat up for days to come!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 291.1, Fat 1.8, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 6.2, Carbohydrate 50.1, Fiber 9.2, Sugar 0.4, Protein 20.9
THE BEST LENTIL SOUP
Brown lentils are the star of this dish. To boost flavor, we used a classic mirepoix-onion, celery and carrot - as well as thyme, bay and oregano for an herby finish. We found the fresh lemon juice and parsley at the end brightened up the soup and added a nice pop of color.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, onion, celery and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are starting to caramelize and take on a dark brown color, 8 to 10 minutes (this step is important as it will add tons of flavor to your soup!).
- Stir in the tomato paste and garlic and cook, scraping up the brown bits, until the garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add in the lentils, stock, 4 cups water, thyme, bay leaf, oregano, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons salt and a generous amount of black pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the lentils are softened with just a bit of bite, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Puree 2 1/2 cups of the soup in a blender until smooth then stir back into the pot. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Ladle into bowls and garnish with more parsley.
EASY LENTIL SOUP
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaf, and cook until vegetables begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, breaking them up with a large spoon. Add water and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir in vinegar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 295 g, Fat 6 g, Protein 17 g
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, potatoes, diced tomato, dried lentil, vegetable broth, bay leaf, cumin, salt, pepper
Provided by Rachel Gaewski
Yield 5 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large pot, add the oil and onion and cook over medium heat until semi-translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, and cumin, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan. Add the onions and garlic. Cook briefly, stirring, until wilted. Do not brown.
- Add the lentils, rice, broth, water, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Simmer for 30 minutes. Scoop out 1 cup of the lentils, rice and broth and set aside.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Put the remaining soup through a food processor or food mill and process until fine. This may have to be done in two or more operations.
- Return the soup to the pan and add the reserved cup. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Adjust the seasonings. Sprinkle with the chervil or parsley. Serve hot with croutons.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 498, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 64 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 19 grams, SaturatedFat 8 grams, Sodium 1527 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams
Enjoy this filling veggie soup with red lentils, carrots and leeks. It's low in calories and fat and delivers three of your 5-a-day
Provided by Member recipe by bevieevey
Categories Lunch, Soup, Starter
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Heat the stock in a large pan and add the lentils. Bring to the boil and allow the lentils to soften for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots and leeks and season (don't add salt if you use ham stock as it will make it too salty). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 mins until the lentils have broken down. Scatter over the parsley and serve with buttered bread, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 219 calories, Fat 3 grams fat, SaturatedFat 0.3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 33 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 11 grams sugar, Fiber 9 grams fiber, Protein 12 grams protein, Sodium 1.4 milligram of sodium
LENTIL VEGETABLE SOUP
Nothing beats a good, hearty soup that has inexpensive ingredients, feeds a lot of people, and is quick to make. For a twist on this triple threat, add some bacon or pancetta. From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat a large soup pot over high heat and swirl in the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Reduce the heat to low and saute until the vegetables are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, and the remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Add the broth and water, and bring to a boil, skimming and discarding any foam as it rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. (The cooking time depends on the age of the dried lentils.) Stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If needed, thin the soup with additional water or broth for the desired consistency. Serve in a bowl topped with fresh croutons, if using.
More about "lentil soup for students recipes"
EASY AND HEALTHY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | ALTON BROWN
EASY HOMEMADE LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - ERREN'S KITCHEN
LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
LENTIL SOUP | MARC MURPHY | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
EASY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - JESSICA GAVIN
LENTIL SOUP - STUDENT RECIPES
ITALIAN LENTIL SOUP - SAVORING ITALY
EASY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE (AKA BEST-EVER LENTIL SOUP)
BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - COOKIE AND KATE
THE ABSOLUTE BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | KITCHN
EASY LENTIL SOUP - STUDENT RECIPES
BEST EVER LENTIL SOUP (NO, REALLY) – A COUPLE COOKS
FRENCH LENTIL SOUP - ONCE UPON A CHEF
27 COZY LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - TASTE OF HOME
HOW TO MAKE EASY LENTIL SOUP | TASTE OF HOME
FRENCH LENTIL AND MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE - GIMME SOME OVEN
OUR 15+ BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | EATINGWELL
10 EASY AND DELICIOUS LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - KITCHN
25 LENTIL SOUPS THAT ARE BOWL-LICKING GOOD - MYRECIPES
LENTIL SOUP - JO COOKS
LENTIL SOUP (BEST SEASONINGS!) - CHELSEA'S MESSY APRON
LENTIL SOUP - CAFE DELITES
35 BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES - HOW TO MAKE EASY LENTIL SOUP
LENTIL SOUP | THE COZY APRON
LENTIL SOUP | RICARDO
10 BEST BROWN LENTILS LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
VERY BEST LENTIL SOUP - DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
LENTIL SOUP WITH LEMON AND TURMERIC - INSPIRED TASTE
FAVORITE VEGETARIAN LENTIL SOUP - YUMMY TODDLER FOOD
HOMEMADE LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
EASY LENTIL SOUP | MYPLATE
BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
LENTIL SOUP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
LEBANESE LENTIL SOUP - MAKE THIS SIMPLE MIDDLE EASTERN LENTIL …
LENTIL SOUP - THE BEST RECIPE! - CHOCOLATE COVERED KATIE
CLASSIC LENTIL SOUP - CONNOISSEURUS VEG
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE WITH PASTA - RACHEL COOKS®
LENTIL SOUP - STUDENT'S VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK - BIGOVEN.COM
#lactose #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #5-ingredients-or-less #soups-stews #beans #easy #beginner-cook #vegan #vegetarian #stove-top #dietary #comfort-food #inexpensive #lentils #egg-free #free-of-something #taste-mood #equipment #college
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make carrot and lentils soup?Put the carrots, onion, red pepper, lentils and ginger (if using) into a large saucepan. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, until the vegetables and lentils are tender. To make the soup even more economical, use 500g of carrots and leave out the red pepper.
What do you serve with lentil soup?Serve this thick, stew-like soup with cornbread, pickle relish and diced sweet onion. This Instant Pot lentil soup is quick enough to prepare when you get home from work for an easy weeknight dinner. This vegetarian soup recipe is full of aromatic vegetables, brown lentils and fresh spinach.
What is the healthiest way to eat lentils?Enjoy this filling vegetarian soup with red lentils, carrots and leeks. It's low in calories and fat, and delivers three of your five-a-day Heat the stock in a large pan and add the lentils. Bring to the boil and allow the lentils to soften for a few minutes.
How to cook lentils in a slow cooker?Combine the lentils, stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, garlic, curry paste, carrot, celery and potato in a 4.5 litre slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Season to taste. Divide into bowls. Top with the Greek yogurt and sprinkle with the black pepper and coriander.