LIONEL'S CUSTARD TARTS
In 1399, the coronation banquet prepared for Henry IV included a medieval version of the custard tart. Medieval recipes generally included a shortcrust and puff pastry case filled with a mixture of cream, milk, or broth with eggs, sweeteners such as sugar or honey, and sometimes spices. Recipes existed as early as the...
Provided by Clare Chambers
Number Of Ingredients 11
- 1. For the Pastry: Place the butter, flour and sugar into a bowl and cut / rub the butter in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the egg. Combine into a dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Using an 11cm fluted cutter cut into 12 discs. If you do not have an 11cm fluted cut use a plain one or make a template and use a wheeled fluted cutter.
- 3. Place the discs into the muffin tray.
- 4. For the custard filling: Warm the milk - make sure it does not get hot as you do not want the eggs to scramble. Meanwhile beat the eggs, yolks, vanilla and sugar together in a bowl. Add the warm milk and stir well.
- 5. Using a jug or a ladle pour the custard into the tart cases to about 1/2 cm from the top and sprinkle with nutmeg. I was distracted by the dog and as you can see I have overfilled these.
- 6. Bake for about 20 minutes. After 15 minutes start to keep an eye on them. They should have a slight dome when the are ready. If they rise too much and crack they are overcooked. Again this picture shows you what happens if you over fill them
- 7. Cool in the tin for 30 minutes before carefully removing them. Eat when fully cooled.
LIONEL POILANE'S APPLE TART
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions and, on a flour-dusted surface, roll each portion into a six-inch circle. Place the circles of dough on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into 12 pieces (an apple corer and slicer can be used for this). Heat the butter until hot, but not smoking, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the apples with the granulated sugar, then saute until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and spoon the apples into the center of the prepared pastry rounds, dividing them evenly. Fold the edges of the dough up over the rim of the apples to form a one-inch border. Brush the border with the beaten egg.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the apples with brown sugar and serve warm or at room temperature. (Alternatively, to form a single large tart, the dough can be rolled into a 12-inch circle and all of the apples can be placed in the center. Increase baking time by about 10 minutes to bake the tart fully.)
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 430, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 67 grams, Fat 15 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 8 grams, Sodium 369 milligrams, Sugar 32 grams, TransFat 0 grams
LEMON CURD TARTS
These lemon curd tarts are a staple dessert at my tea parties. I can make them quickly without even measuring the ingredients using a pastry bag to fill the small shells. The crust remains crunchy for several hours, so I make them early the morning of the tea and then refrigerate them. I also serve these at wedding and baby showers. For variation, you can place 1/4 teaspoon raspberry spread underneath the lemon curd and garnish with a fresh raspberry, omitting the cinnamon. Another variation is to use lime curd instead of lemon, both of which can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Provided by Paula
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon lemon curd into the bottom of each phyllo shell; top with whipped topping. Sprinkle a light dusting of cinnamon over the top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 43 calories, Carbohydrate 6.3 g, Cholesterol 3.4 mg, Fat 1.8 g, Protein 0.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.7 g, Sodium 13 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
More about "lionels custard tarts recipes"
SIMPLE CUSTARD CREAM TART - LION'S BREAD
Servings 8Estimated Reading Time 4 minsCategory Dessert
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch removeable bottom tart with nonstick cooking spray. Set Aside.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add the graham crackers and salt. Pulse until the crackers are totally crushed. Add the melted butter to the bowl, and pulse until completely combined, and the mixture looks crumbly. Pour the crumbs into the prepared tart baked, and use your fingertips to press the crumbs down in an even bottom layer, pressing the up the sides of tart pan about 1/2-inch.
- Place the crust on a baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes, until it smells toasty and golden brown. Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool.
- Make the filling: Pour the cream, whole milk cream top yogurt, and honey into a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Cream bubbles up A LOT, so it's very important to use a bigger pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then boil for another 4-5 minutes, stir frequently. Take the hot cream off of the heat, and added the fresh lemon zest, pinch of salt, and vanilla extract. It should still be very liquid-y, that's ok! It will set up.
INDIVIDUAL CUSTARD TARTS | DELICIOUS EVERYDAY
4.6/5 (79)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory DessertCalories 433 per serving
- To make the pastry place the flour, sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and pulse to combine. With the food processor running drizzle in the cold water. Pulse until the mixture comes together. Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured bench until 3mm thick and line 6 10cm loose bottomed tart tins and trim the excess. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and line each tart with foil and fill with baking weights or beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely.
- Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Add the vanilla seeds and bean and leave to infuse for at least 1 hour (or even overnight in the refrigerator).
CUSTARD TARTS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE CUSTARD TARTS RECIPE AT ...
5/5 (5)Total Time 40 minsCategory DessertCalories 181 per serving
BAKING FOR BRITAIN: CUSTARD TARTS
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
VANILLA CUSTARD FRESH FRUIT TART RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
3.7/5 (217)Total Time 2 hrs 40 minsCategory Dessert, PieCalories 436 per serving
A TRADITIONAL CUSTARD TART | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
PORTUGUESE CUSTARD TART RECIPE (PASTéIS DE NATA RECIPE ...
Category Baking And DessertsCalories 151 per servingTotal Time 50 mins
ENGLISH CUSTARD TART – MR PAUL'S PANTRY
5/5 (6)Category Teatime TreatCuisine English
TRADITIONAL CUSTARD TART - WESTERN STAR
DELIGHTFUL REPAST: CUSTARD TARTS - A BRITISH CLASSIC
MINI CUSTARD TARTS - THEUNICOOK - A BRITISH BAKING CLASSIC
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Prepare the muffin tin by placing thin long strips of baking paper across the bottom of each hole. This will make it easier to lift the mini custard tarts out of the tin once baked.
- Next, make the shortcrust pastry (My tips for success with shortcrust can be found here). In a bowl, rub together the flour and cold butter with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, and mix until the pastry starts to come together into a nice ball. You might not have to add all of the egg!
- The pastry is now ready to roll out. If it seems too sticky, chill in the fridge for a bit before rolling it out. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface until about 2mm thick.
- Place the 12 pastry circles into the prepared muffin tray. Gently push the pastry into the bottom of the tin and ease the pastry up the sides.
- To make the custard, heat the milk with the vanilla in a small saucepan until just below boiling point. In the meantime, whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until pale and frothy.
- Strain the custard through a sieve into a jug. Leave to stand for a few minutes and then skim some of the froth off the top using a spoon.
VEGAN CUSTARD TARTS - AMY LE CREATIONS
4.5/5 (6)Category DessertServings 4
- Off the heat, pour the almond milk into a large pot. Add the cornflour and whisk until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the custard.
CUSTARD TART RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
Cuisine FrenchCategory DessertsServings 8Total Time 1 hr 45 mins
EGG CUSTARD TARTS - THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW VERSION ...
3.5/5 (242)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 12Total Time 2 hrs
10 BEST CUSTARD TART WITH FRUIT RECIPES | YUMMLY
LIONEL'S CUSTARD TARTS | RECIPE | CUSTARD TART, CUSTARD ...
EASY CUSTARD TART RECIPE UK
PIN ON BRITISH RECIPE IDEAS
CUSTARD TARTS EASY RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
CUSTARD TARTS BRITISH RECIPES
10 BEST CUSTARD TARTS WITH CUSTARD POWDER RECIPES | …
RASPBERRY CUSTARD TART BEST RECIPES
CUSTARD TART RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
NOW WHAT ABOUT CUSTARD TARTS IN AS TIME GOES BY???
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make an English custard tart?English Custard Tart 1 For the Pastry (NOTE: You can use ordinary shortcrust pastry if you wish ) 2 250g Plain Flour 3 130g Cold Butter 4 60g White Sugar 5 1 Medium size Egg 6 20g Milk 7 2g / 1/4 tsp Salt 8 For the Custard 9 3 Medium Eggs 10 75g White Sugar 11 450g/ml Whole Milk More ...
What is the best recipe for a lemon tart?For the Tart Pastry. 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour. 1/2 cup cold butter (cut into small pieces) 3 tablespoons ice water. 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest. For the Vanilla Custard. 3/4 cup granulated sugar. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.
How long do you blind bake custard tarts?You will need to blind bake a 23cm pastry case first, then when you add the custard bake a fjurther 40-50min at 130ºC (110ºC fan) until just set with a little wobble. Hope this helps. 0 Marie 1 month ago Thank you so much, Mr. Paul, for sharing your recipe for custard tarts. I miss these desperately, living in the United States.
How do you bake custard tarts in a muffin tin?Feel each custard tart almost to the top of the pastry. Sprinkle each with fresh ground nutmeg. Bake the tarts in the oven for about 25 minutes – you may need to turn the temperature down to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for the final 10 minutes. Rotate the muffin tin halfway through to ensure even baking.