HAM DUMPLING SOUP
I was not sure how ham and dumplings would pair, so I just had to try this one... to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else! Turns out that the flavors are wonderful and I would gladly serve this to my most favorite guests. To prepare this soup I used a ham bone that I had frozen from a HoneyBaked Ham. Worked like a charm; I...
Provided by Desiree Wilmoth
Categories Other Soups
Number Of Ingredients 11
- 1. Place first 8 ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil then let simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
- 2. While the soup is simmering make dumplings.
- 3. Mix eggs and flour and water with a fork. Let sit covered for 1 hour.
- 4. After soup simmered for 45 minutes remove celery stalks and onion and throw away.
- 5. Remove ham bone and any ham from the bone and add that to the soup.
- 6. After hour roll out dumplings on a lightly floured board to about 1/8" thickness.
- 7. Cut into 1" squares and slowly add to boiling soup. Let cook for 5-7 minutes depending on size and thickness.
- 8. This should turn the broth from a clear liquid to a thicker stew like broth.
- 9. If you do not want a thick broth. Instead of rolling out the dumplings, place on a cutting board.
- 10. Cut small pieces about the size of a penny and put into the boiling broth. Or put the dough through a potato ricer. When dumplings float they are done.
- 11. You want the pieces to be small or they will be too heavy or doughy.
- 12. Salt and pepper to taste.
My mother was one of the best cooks I ever knew. When she made stews we mostly found dumplings in them. We never ate things from packages or microwaves and you sure could taste what food was. That's the only way I cook today - I don't use any electronic gadgets to cook with except an electric stove.
Provided by Carol
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid. Serve.
- To make parsley dumplings, add 1 tablespoon parsley flakes to the dry ingredients.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 105.3 calories, Carbohydrate 18 g, Cholesterol 1.6 mg, Fat 2.4 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 2.8 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 385.8 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
GRANDMA'S POTATO DUMPLINGS
Don't be surprised if you make too many mashed potatoes on purpose. Day-old rolls and leftover spuds are scrumptious the second time around, turned into buttery potato dumplings. -Wendy Stenman, Germantown, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Tear rolls into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with water and squeeze dry., In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add torn rolls; cook and stir until lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes., In a small bowl, combine potatoes, egg, nutmeg and bread. Add enough flour to achieve a shaping consistency. With floured hands, shape mixture into 3-in. balls., Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. , Serve warm dumplings with butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 255 calories, Fat 17g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 84mg cholesterol, Sodium 322mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
MOM'S SIMPLE DUMPLINGS
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir the milk into the flour mixture until moistened. Dough will be pretty lumpy, but be sure to not over mix it!
- Drop dough by large spoonfuls onto any boiling stew. The dumplings should rest on top of vegetables and meat; it's okay if they stick out of the top a bit. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes; cover and cook another 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.4 calories, Carbohydrate 25.7 g, Cholesterol 2.4 mg, Fat 7.3 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 4.2 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 466.3 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
MAMAW'S HAM & DUMPLINGS
- Place rinsed and soaked beans, that have been rinsed again and drained well, into a large soup pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot (EXCEPT THE BISCUITS)
- Water should be covering contents of the top (plus about 2 inches). If it is not, add more water until it does.
- Cook uncovered on Med-High until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the ham bone, pick all meat from the bone and chop it up. Return chopped ham to the pot, and discard the bone now.
- Remove bay leaf from pot and discard.
- Leaving the lid off, return pot to a boil.
- Once boiling, add "dumplings" by pinching small pieces of biscuits off and throwing them into the pot as you do. Keep going til you are out of biscuits.
- Stir the small biscuits pieces into the pot weel, then reduce heat to low and cook another 30 minutes. Add water as desired, if it gets too thick. ((( Should NOT be runny like a soup though at all )))).
- Serve hot and enjoy! Freezes well too!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 271.3, Fat 5.3, SaturatedFat 1.7, Cholesterol 14.6, Sodium 590.4, Carbohydrate 46.8, Fiber 11.4, Sugar 3.3, Protein 14.4
MAMA'S HAM DUMPLINGS (ARVETTATITE) RECIPE
Provided by LADONMANK
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Put the bones into a large stock pot and pour the cold water over them. Turn on the heat as low as you can get it and bring the water slowly to the boiling point, carefully skimming off the scum as it pops to the surface. It will take about 45 minutes. 2. Add the onion, carrot, and peppercorns. Simmer slowly for at least 1 hour, 2 is better. Strain, discarding the solids, return the broth to the pot, bring it back to a boil, and reduce it to 1½ quarts (about half). 3. Make the dumplings according to the recipe. Drop them a few at a time into the simmering broth and let them simmer for 5 minutes. Add pepper, stir in the ham and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more. Ladle onto a serving platter. Raised Dumplings Serves 6 10 ounces (about 2 cups)all-purpose flour ½ teaspoon baking soda 2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 4 tablespoons lard, shortening, or unsalted butter 1 cup whole milk buttermilk or regular milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar added to make buttermilk. 1. Sift or whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut in the lard with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse corn meal. 2. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon and as few strokes as possible, quickly stir the ingredients together. 3. To shape flat dumplings (sometimes called "slipperies") like my grandmother's, turn the dough onto a lightly floured smooth work surface. Flour you hands and gently push it away from you to flatten. Fold it in half, gently press flat with the heel of your hand, and give it a quarter turn. Repeat this until just smooth, about 12 to 15 folds. Dust the work surface and the dough with more flour and roll it out to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Quickly cut into 1-inch strips, and then cut them into 2-inch lengths. Cook immediately. Turn off heat and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes to steam and finish cooking.
More about "mamaws ham dumplings recipes"
HAM AND DUMPLINGS - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
Reviews 26Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
10 BEST HAM DUMPLINGS RECIPES | YUMMLY
HAM HOCKS AND DUMPLINGS - THE MAGICAL SLOW COOKER
5/5 (1)Total Time 9 hrsCategory SoupCalories 305 per serving
- Add the chicken broth, ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion, dried thyme, and black pepper to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After the cooking time is up, remove the ham hocks onto a plate. Remove as much meat as you can, shred it with 2 forks, add this meat to the slow cooker. Discard the fat and bones.
- I like to degrease the soup before I add my dumplings, I do this by using a ladle and carefully skimming the fat off, and discard. Then I take a half sheet of a paper towel and lay it over the top of the soup and quickly remove, this will get the last of the fat off the soup.
MAMAW'S SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - THE COOKING BRIDE
5/5 (4)Total Time 2 hrs 25 minsCategory Entrees, Main CourseCalories 339 per serving
- Mix the flour and shortening together, breaking the shortening into smaller pieces, until you have small pea sized pieces of shortening mixed evenly throughout the flour.
- Place the chicken in a large stock pot. Cover with the water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
HAM AND BEAN SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS: GRANDMA'S FART SOUP RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
HAM AND DUMPLING SOUP - WRITTEN REALITY
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
MAMAW’S CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS - DINING WITH DEBBIE
Reviews 1Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
HAM DUMPLINGS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
EASY DROP DUMPLINGS RECIPE FOR SOUPS AND STEWS
MAMAW S HAM DUMPLINGS - TFRECIPES.COM
GRANDMA'S DUMPLINGS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
TOP 3 DUMPLING RECIPES - MARION'S KITCHEN - YOUTUBE
MAMAW JOY'S APPLE DUMPLINGS - YOUTUBE
MAMAWS CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPES
MAMAW S HAM DUMPLINGS RECIPES
MAMAW S HAM DUMPLINGS RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
MAMAW'S HAM & DUMPLINGS RECIPE
WORLD BEST BEAN'S RECIPES: MAMAW'S HAM & DUMPLINGS
MAMAS HAM DUMPLINGS ARVETTATITE RECIPES
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS RECIPE TIPS TO MAKE HOME AND FAMILY ...
MAMAWS HAM DUMPLINGS RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook dumplings with ham?Mix together the dumpling ingredients until they form a soft dough. Bring ham stock to a rolling boil. Using a small spoon, scoop out and drop into boiling broth and cover immediately so that the dumplings begin to steam; simmer on low about 10 minutes before checking.
What to do with leftover ham and dumplings?This Ham and Dumplings recipe is great for using up leftover ham and what could be better than dumplings. Add some cornbread muffins for a meal. Add all ingredients to large soup pot and bring to boil. Simmer for about an hour. Add dumpling recipe below.
What is the best recipe for chicken and dumplings?This is the perfect shortcut recipe for classic chicken and dumplings. All you need is chicken thighs, cream of celery soup, and refrigerated biscuit dough.
How long to cook dumplings?Steps to Make It Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the milk or water and mix to make a batter that can be dropped from a spoon. Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto a boiling stew or soup when it is nearly done. Cover and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the dumplings. Once done, serve in a bowl and enjoy!