SOUTHERN STYLE TOMATO GRAVY
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Reserving the drippings in the pan, remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Stir the butter and flour into the bacon drippings. Scrape the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; cook and stir together until beginning to thicken, about 3 minutes. Stir the tomatoes into the mixture, using the spoon to break the tomatoes into small pieces while cooking; season with salt and pepper. Add the cream cheese and heavy cream; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until hot and thick, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 197.8 calories, Carbohydrate 5.5 g, Cholesterol 36 mg, Fat 17.8 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 4.8 g, SaturatedFat 7.3 g, Sodium 687.6 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
MAMA'S TOMATO GRAVY
This dish is truly a taste of Louisiana Cajun Country. I mean where folks are already sitting at the table drinking coffee and eating breakfast by the time the rooster crows. Mama made countless batches of biscuits and tomato gravy in her lifetime. I'm sure she learned to make this from her mother: Carmen Inez Shirley. This is the dish that puts my feet back under my mama's table. Serve with love over hot buttermilk biscuits along with bacon or sausage for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Provided by Melissa Dommert
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Heat bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir the flour into the bacon drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture while whisking. Whisk in the tomato paste. Cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 85.9 calories, Carbohydrate 4.2 g, Cholesterol 7.1 mg, Fat 7.5 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 0.8 g, SaturatedFat 2.9 g, Sodium 96 mg, Sugar 1.3 g
MOMS SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY
As kids we loved when mom made this gravy.She typically served it with corn bread,some type of green and fried ham.
Provided by cooks-alot
Yield 5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Melt butter and oil in skillet.
- Add flour and brown slowly.
- Do not burn and keep mixture spreadable.
- After browning ,remove from heat to cool.
- After cooling add tomatoes ,juices and water.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Return to heat stirring constantly untill mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat,add salt , pepper and sugar.
- Stir and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 110.2, Fat 8.7, SaturatedFat 4, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 46.8, Carbohydrate 7.7, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 3, Protein 1.3
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - (4.7/5)
Provided by Lsweetnell
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Get out your cast iron skillet again. Heat the margarine or oil over medium heat. Add onions, saute until translucent. Stir in the flour with a whisk until it is lump free. Let simmer for a moment or two, to toast the flour just a little bit, and then remove from heat, and stir in the half cup milk, a little at a time. Put back on the burner, stir and bring to a boil, it will thicken considerably, and very fast. You'll be left with a very thick mixture. Remove from heat, add the sugar and seasonings, whisking continuously, then slowly add the juice from the tomatoes. Put back on heat and simmer (very gentle boil). In a bowl, smash the tomatoes with a fork or your hands. This gravy is not smooth so do not worry about completely smashing them. The lumpy tomatoes are actually what give it the characteristic texture. Once gravy has come to a good simmer, add the tomatoes and the juice in the can. Bring back to a medium simmer (but don't let it boil hard) and stir with whisk for 3 to 5 minutes until gravy thickens. *(optional: several tablespoons of nutritional yeast, whisked in at the end, are particularly delicious if you like that sort of thing.) **(optional: A big of bacon or sausage grease is really good here too. Serve over toast, biscuits, whatever.
More about "moms southern tomato gravy recipes"
GRANDMA'S SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - 4 SONS 'R' US
5/5 (2)Total Time 20 minsCategory Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, GravyCalories 63 per serving
- Add the flour to the broth, and whisk vigorously until the two are completely incorporated and the mixture's smooth.
- Pour in the flour/broth mixture, whisking constantly until it's incorporated completely. Don't skip this step! You don't want any lumps or odd bits of mini dumplings in your tomato gravy.
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Category GravyTotal Time 20 mins
11 MOM KAVAN IDEAS IN 2021 | TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE, TOMATO ...
11 pins16 followers
MOM (LYNNE'S) "GRAVY" (ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE) - RECIPE ...
THE BEST HOMEMADE SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - TOMATO GRAVY WITH FRIED DOVES
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
MAMA'S TOMATO GRAVY - LOVEFOODIES
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SOUTHERN HOMESTYLE TOMATO GRAVY
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY | 12 TOMATOES
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - YOUTUBE
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY IS AN OLD-FASHIONED FAVORITE
MOMS SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - SOUTHERN.FOOD.COM ...
OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE ...
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - LOAVES AND DISHES
OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE
SIMPLE SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - GRAB A BISCUIT FOLKS ...
MOMS SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - SOUTHERN.FOOD.COM ...
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY
LETS COOK | HOW TO MAKE SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY AND SETTING THE TIMER - SOUTHERN BITE
COOKING WITH JOEY: MOM'S TOMATO GRAVY | TOMATO GRAVY ...
MOM'S EASY PAN FRIED PORK CHOPS AND TOMATO GRAVY
MAMA’S TOMATO GRAVY | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA CUISINE DE ...
MAMA’S TOMATO GRAVY - CAJUN COOKING RECIPES
TOMATO GRAVY: A SOUTHERN COMFORT BREAKFAST TRADITION - IT ...
TOMATO GRAVY EASY SOUTHERN STYLE - HILLBILLY HOUSEWIFE
SOUTHERN TOMATO GRAVY - JUGHANDLE’S FAT FARM
TOMATO GRAVY RECIPE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #side-dishes #vegetables #american #southern-united-states #easy #beginner-cook #dietary #low-sodium #low-calorie #comfort-food #low-carb #low-in-something #tomatoes #taste-mood
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Grandma's Southern tomato gravy?Grandma's southern tomato gravy is a breakfast staple. You'll love this savory, indulgent gravy spooned over fresh biscuits, cornbread or even grits or rice. Pour the tomatoes into a medium sized skillet set over medium heat. Let the tomatoes cook until hot, stirring occasionally.
How do you make gravy with tomato sauce and bacon?Add tomato paste and cook, continuing to stir for another 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, thyme, bay leaves, and cooked bacon (optional) and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to the gravy to taste.
What do you do with tomatoes in gravy?The tomato gravy is also an excellent way to use garden-fresh tomatoes. Bacon drippings or butter and flour make the roux for this simple tomato gravy. Serve the gravy over freshly baked biscuits, mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
How long to cook tomato gravy?When the flour and broth mixture is smooth and incorporated, stir in the bacon grease and bring the tomato gravy to a full boil. Once it’s reached a boil, immediately reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes- or until the gravy’s thickened.