A kalamata and green olive mixture fills a hollowed loaf of Italian bread; add Genoa salami, provolone cheese, tomatoes and onions and you have one delicious sandwich.
Provided by LYNNC51
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine the kalamata olives, green olives, basil, garlic and oil in a food processor or blender and process until coarsely chopped.
- Cut the top from the bread loaf and hollow out the center so that about 1/2 inch of crust remains. Spread olive mixture evenly over the inside of the loaf. Layer the salami, cheese, tomatoes and onion until the loaf is full.
- Replace top of bread, lightly press down and wrap tightly in plastic wrapping. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 1 day. Slice crosswise in about 1 1/2 inch pieces, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1016 calories, Carbohydrate 71.7 g, Cholesterol 95.9 mg, Fat 63.2 g, Fiber 5.6 g, Protein 40.2 g, SaturatedFat 20.2 g, Sodium 3697.7 mg, Sugar 5.4 g
REAL N'AWLINS MUFFULETTA
These gigantic sandwiches were invented a century ago at Sicilian Deli here in New Orleans. The spicy, tangy olive salad is what really sets this meat and cheese sandwich apart. A genuine muffuletta should be made on oven-fresh Italian bread topped with sesame seeds. Be sure and use the highest-quality ingredients available; it really makes a difference! Since you're going to all the trouble of making the olive salad, consider doubling the recipe so you'll have some extra waiting around for when you get another muffuletta craving -- it keeps for at least a month! Note: Use round bread loaves for real muffuletta.
Provided by jenn
Number Of Ingredients 22
- To Make Olive Salad: In a medium bowl, combine the green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, cauliflower, capers, celery, carrot, pepperoncini, cocktail onions, celery seed, oregano, basil, black pepper, vinegar, olive oil and canola oil. Mix together and transfer mixture into a glass jar (or other nonreactive container). If needed, pour in more oil to cover. Cover jar or container and refrigerate at least overnight.
- To Make Sandwiches: Cut loaves of bread in half horizontally; hollow out some of the excess bread to make room for filling. Spread each piece of bread with equal amounts olive salad, including oil. Layer 'bottom half' of each loaf with 1/2 of the salami, ham, mortadella, mozzarella and Provolone. Replace 'top half' on each loaf and cut sandwich into quarters.
- Serve immediately, or wrap tightly and refrigerate for a few hours; this will allow for the flavors to mingle and the olive salad to soak into the bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 987.3 calories, Carbohydrate 63.2 g, Cholesterol 97.3 mg, Fat 62.8 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 41.4 g, SaturatedFat 19.3 g, Sodium 3464.9 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
Muffuletta, which originated in New Orleans, is named after the round, crusty Sicilian loaf of bread it's traditionally served on. While I favor my own olive salad, there are several good versions available in most supermarkets. -Lou Sansevero, Ferron, Utah
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 20
- In a large bowl, combine the first 14 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. , Cut bread in half horizontally; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spoon half the olive mixture over bottom half of bread. Layer with salami, ham, mortadella, Swiss and provolone; top with remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. Cut into 8 wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 762 calories, Fat 59g fat (18g saturated fat), Cholesterol 103mg cholesterol, Sodium 2326mg sodium, Carbohydrate 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 35g protein.
This recipe is inspired by the muffuletta, a sandwich originating in New Orleans made with deli meat and olive salad. These are snack-sized sandwiches with all the goodness of a muffuletta baked inside pizza dough. You can substitute the meats for your favorites, like turkey or roast beef. -Chelsea Madren, Fullerton, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside., Unroll pizza dough; cut into 6 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. square. Place 1 tablespoon olive bruschetta in center of each square; top with salami, ham, mozzarella cheese and provolone cheese. Bring 4 corners of dough together above filling; pinch edges to seal., Place in prepared skillet, seam side down. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 562 calories, Fat 33g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 93mg cholesterol, Sodium 1815mg sodium, Carbohydrate 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 32g protein.
MUFFULETTA (COOK'S ILLUSTRATED)
This is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, the same folks as Cook's Illustrated. I trust them with any endeavor. I haven't tried this recipe yet. This is an uncooked sandwich, so I used the "cooking time" to enter the minimum amount of time you'd have to have to let everything marinade and meld as needed This recipe is different from others already posted because it uses oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes in the olive salad. Sounds good to me!
Provided by Debbie R.
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- For the olive salad, mix everything together. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- To make the sandwich: Drain olive salad, saving the marinade. Cut the bread in half horizontally and remove most of the soft interior. Brush both inside pieces of the bread with the reserved marinade.
- Place half of the olive salad in the bottom half of the hollowed-out bread. Top it with the cold cuts. Put on the rest of the olive salad. Put top half of bread on top of it all.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Put it between two dinner plates. (It might work best to turn the top plate upside down, depending on if the plates have any curvature to them or not.) Put 2 or 3 heavy cans on top of it to work as weights. (Mufuletta is pressed-down sandwich). Chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- To serve, unwrap and cut into wedges.
- 1. 1. Adjust oven racks to middle and low positions; heat oven to 200 degrees. Line large tray or cookie sheet with aluminum foil. 2. 2. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on large wire rack. Set wire rack on middle oven rack and foil-lined tray on lower rack. Dry, oven door closed, until desired texture is attained, 3 to 4 hours for plump tomatoes. When dry and cool, place in airtight containers. (Dried tomatoes can be stored at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.) If any off flavors or smells develop in the leathery or completely dried versions during storage, it may be due to mold or other bacteria; throw away the entire batch. 3. 3. Mix olives, oil, parsley, bell pepper, lemon juice, and oregano in small nonreactive bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. 4. 4. When ready to assemble sandwich, drain olive mixture, reserving marinade. Generously brush all inside surfaces of bread with marinade. Fill bread bottom with half the olive mixture. Add layers as follows: half each of the lettuce and Oven-Dried Tomatoes, all of the mortadella, all of the provolone, all of the soppressata, and remaining tomatoes and greens. Pile rest of olive mixture on top. Cover with bread top; wrap with plastic wrap. 5. 5. Set sandwich on large plate; top with small plate weighted with cans. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (Can be covered and refrigerated up to 6 hours.) Remove plates and plastic; cut into six wedges and serve.
More about "muffuletta cooks illustrated recipes"
EMERIL'S MUFFULETTA RECIPE - EMERIL LAGASSE | FOOD & WINE
5/5 Total Time 1 hr 15 minsServings 8
- In a medium bowl, stir the pimento-stuffed olives with the giardiniera, capers and their respective liquids. Add the Calamata olives, garlic, shallot, oregano, parsley, thyme and crushed red pepper. Stir in the olive oil and let the mixture stand for 1 hour.
- Open the Italian bread on a work surface. Spoon the olive salad on both sides of the bread and spread evenly. Arrange the mozzarella slices on the bottom half of the bread, then top with the capocollo, Genoa salami and mortadella. Arrange the provolone cheese on the top half of the bread, covering the olive salad completely. Carefully close the sandwich. Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic and let stand for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Cut the sandwich into 8 pieces and serve peperoncini on the side.
MUFFULETTA CALZONE | COOK'S COUNTRY - QUICK RECIPES
Cuisine American, Creole & CajunCategory Main Courses, Sandwiches, Pizza, WeeknightServings 4
MUFFULETTA WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
Cuisine AmericanCategory Main Courses, SandwichesServings 6-8
MUFFULETTA - COOK'S ILLUSTRATED | RECIPES THAT WORK
Servings 6Category Main Courses, Sandwiches
AMERICAN PROVOLONE - COOK'S ILLUSTRATED | RECIPES THAT WORK
HOW TO MAKE NEW ORLEANS-INSPIRED MUFFULETTAS - CHOWHOUND
Author Amy SchulmanEstimated Reading Time 5 mins
NEW ORLEANS MUFFULETTAS | COOK'S COUNTRY - QUICK RECIPES
Cuisine SouthernCategory Main Courses, SandwichesServings 8
NEW ORLEANS MUFFULETTA SANDWICH - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
SICILIAN MUFFULETTA BREAD RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
ITALIAN MUFFALETTA - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
MUFFULETTA (COOK'S ILLUSTRATED) RECIPE - SOUTHERN.FOOD.COM
MUFFULETTA COOKS ILLUSTRATED RECIPES
COOK'S ILLUSTRATED ON INSTAGRAM: “WHEN POORLY PREPARED, A ...
WORLD BEST ROASTED FOOD RECIPES: MUFFULETTA (COOK'S ...
MORE USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS AT ...
MUFFULETTA | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED | RECIPE | MUFFULETTA ...
MINI MUFFALETTA SQUARES — THREE MANY COOKS | RECIPE | FOOD ...
MUFFULETTA BREAD RECIPE 445 - TFRECIPES.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to make muffuletta?Note: Use round bread loaves for real muffuletta. To Make Olive Salad: In a medium bowl, combine the green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, cauliflower, capers, celery, carrot, pepperoncini, cocktail onions, celery seed, oregano, basil, black pepper, vinegar, olive oil and canola oil.
What is a real nawlins muffuletta?Real N'awlins Muffuletta. "These gigantic sandwiches were invented a century ago at Sicilian Deli here in New Orleans. The spicy, tangy olive salad is what really sets this meat and cheese sandwich apart. A genuine muffuletta should be made on oven-fresh Italian bread topped with sesame seeds.
How many carbs are in a muffuletta?987 calories; protein 41.4g; carbohydrates 63.2g; fat 62.8g; cholesterol 97.3mg; sodium 3464.9mg. Full Nutrition This is a great muffuletta.